The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So I called my local GUITAR CENTER today and... Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

So I called my local GUITAR CENTER today and...

The guy picks up the phone and says his opening spiel then ends it with "the owner speaking". I thought cool, someone who should know exactly what I'm talking about!

Moving on, I then asked "do you guys have any ADAT cables?" he said, "what, what kind of cables?" I said, "you know, ADAT, optical, toslink cable?" he then said, "hold on lemme transfer you."

So, he transfers me to Pro Audio. That is correct, good job owner!

To keep a long story short the Pro Audio guy says the same thing the owner said "what, what kind of cable?"!!!

It gets better. So after he figured out what kind of cable I was, I asked how much? He said "uhhh hold on, lemme check?" comes back with $19 and $22 or something? I said "what lengths? 6 or 12ft? He said, "uh, lemme check?"

Finally waited about 2 seconds and hung up on this idiot! This guy and the owner were complete idiots!

I don't know how they don't know what an ADAT cable is? How do they find these guys?

Whatever, this just made me one step further away from them. They keep on sucking and I can't stand them!
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

I think you just dialed the wrong number bro. That was me you spoke with. Try again.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

I'm not sure this is really worthy of it's own thread...
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I am disappointed that neither one seemed to even know what ADAT was. That being said, if you asked me for an ADAT cable, I would have thought you meant an ADAT sync cable not toslink.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cool
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I had an HD24XR collecting dust for years and was strictly ITB for a while. I finally got the Jim Williams mod this year. Well, I have to tell you I sold my Ensemble. I still keep my Lavry converters but the old Alesis has been getting plenty of use lately. I just love no latency recording and the ease of tape style workflow. Then I dump in to Logic. Thanks Jim.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

I'm with ya. I hate calling or talking to a place of business and they don't know about there products. Like when comp USA was in business they use to tell me everything was Mac compatible, you check the box. PC only!

People hate on Sweetwater but I love their customer service. If I ask my Sweetwater rep something he doesn't know, he doesn't BS me, he admits he doesn't know. But he finds the answer for me.

Point is if they didn't know what an ADAT cable they should of called you back with all the info once they find it. If you want to know if they sell them then obviously your next question is how much and how long are they. Pretty standard questions for any cables.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think ADAT was simply before their time, and they have no idea what "ADAT" even is. They are kids being paid minimum wage.

Quote:
I just love no latency recording and the ease of tape style workflow. Then I dump in to Logic.
WTF?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey boy View Post
It's odd how we still call it an ADAT cable when no one is using actual ADATs anymore.
...because 99% of the time in pro audio it's for transmitting ADAT protocol, which is still very alive and well.

ADAT is everywhere. What digital audio company doesn't make some piece of gear with ADAT optical?
2 channel TOSLINK is a consumer format, so it makes a lot of sense that the terms optical and ADAT are pretty much in pro audio.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

To the OP:

I don't think Guitar Centres are franchises, so doubt you were talking to the owner (especially since GC is owned by a capital group). I'm pretty sure they are all corporate stores.

Still, what dummies if the pro audio dude didn't know immediately what you were talking about, as long as you weren't mumbling or something.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
because 99% of the time in pro audio it's for transmitting ADAT protocol, which is still very alive and well.
Yes, and that's what the OP is bitching about. Kids working at Guitar center. But can you blame them really? Guitar Center does not pay for employee expertise. Only how much "GIP" you make.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
WTF?
What don't you get?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

Monoprice.com for the win bro.

The prices are insane, I've been using their ADAT cables for years with no issues, something like 200 ft worth of cable cost me like 50 bucks total. No BS, plus a lifetime warranty.

Peace
Illumination
Old 10th September 2011
lds
Gear Nut

Hate to split hairs, but OP you were looking for an ADAT optical cable.

A regular ADAT cable uses 15-pin connectors.

Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

GC

Ask for GC Pro next time, they handle plenty of top notch gear.....
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post

That's a serial cable, not an adat cable. ADAT decks used pre-existing standard pinout db9 cable for sync. That's not an Alesis invention.

ADAT cable is always optical. Optical is not always ADAT.

And this thread belongs in the MOAN ZONE...
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:

Not to split your hairs even further, but those are 9-pin DSub connectors in your picture there.

Which is what ADAT sync really uses...
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post

The prices are insane, I've been using their ADAT cables for years with no issues, something like 200 ft worth of cable cost me like 50 bucks total. No BS, plus a lifetime warranty.

Peace
Illumination
after my awesome conversation with guitar center I went there and ordered 2 adat cables and after shipping it was a little over $6 which is awesome!

...to not split hairs either but I think if I call a music store that has recordin gear and ask for an adat cable, they should know what I'm talking about without further explanation. The other thing that got me was the fact that he didn't grab te cables to know the length and price, or look it up on his computer and tell me everything I needed to know?

Maybe his bieber-like haircut is clouding his brain, or daddy doesn't love him enough?
Old 10th September 2011
lds
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by locosoundman View Post
Not to split your hairs even further, but those are 9-pin DSub connectors in your picture there.

Which is what ADAT sync really uses...
LOL, yeah, I screwed that one up, just grabbed the first pic that Google presented me.

Can I work at Guitar Center now?

Anyway, my first few ADATs didn't have optical that I recall...
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

guitar center

I went to Guitar Center for a BNC word clock cable. The pro audio guys had no idea what this was, and promptly handed me a midi cable. Then a spdif cable. Finally, they looked it up and told me they didn't carry these. It's crazy that they sell all that digital gear, and not only do not know what word clock is, but do not sell the cables necessary to hook it up properly.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarthp View Post
I'm with ya. I hate calling or talking to a place of business and they don't know about there products. Like when comp USA was in business they use to tell me everything was Mac compatible, you check the box. PC only!
CompUSA is still in business, was at there store yesterday picking up some $79.00 WD 2.5" 7200RPM 750GB drives for my laptop. Great store - they are usually cheaper than Fry's down the road and no long checkout lines. Love CompUSA!
still in Dallas, TX and aka online as Tiger Direct.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Anyway, my first few ADATs didn't have optical that I recall...
You just don't remember them. It was an integral part from day 1, invented and used to bounce tracks from deck to deck.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I managed a Radioshack for a few years, and my employees and I used to take field trips to GC in plain clothes to ask specific questions about products so my crew could see what it looks like when they don't know the answer and just try to bulls*it their way to a sale. "see how obvious it is when you're unprepared to help a customer?" It was always an eye opening experience for newbies, who consequently spent the next week doing training modules on the parts drawers
Old 10th September 2011
Well while I completely agree that 99.9999999 % of the GC employees are clueless, I think it's fair to say that's the case with just about every large music store. I have had some very good unexpected experiences in GC like when I got my first big console I walked into my local GC, and there was a huge bin with Neutrik XLR's marked clearance, there were probably a few hundred there. I asked the salesman how much and he said "as many as you want 25 cents each". I took them all. Another time I was looking around the clearance area and I found a really nice Tama Starclassic birch kit for 500 dollars. Another time while talking to someone I mentioned that I had a 2" machine, he asked me if I could use some tape, it turned out they had a pile of 499 in the back.
75.00 a reel, I took it all. My feeling is when you need customer service, and something pro audio related you go to Warren, Tony, Fletcher, Full Compass, or any of the others that do audio. Or if you have to go to GC keep your expectations low and look for the bargains, sometimes they are there.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

GC is owned by a venture capital firm! Anybody answering the phone claiming to be the owner would be unemployed in an instant!

The rest is oh so true!

And if you had called looking for an ADATcable the answer should be " sync? Optical ? or analogue?"
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Here here.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Reminds me of the day I went in GC looking for tubes for my guitar amp. They were sitting on the shelf behind the rep. I had to point to them for him to understand what I was talking about. He walks over, picks up the box, looks at it and asks me "What are these (used) for?".
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Really? You called guitar center and actually expected anyone to hear you over the racket and chaos in the background!! Or should I just leave it at " Really, you called guitar center?"
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRant View Post
Really? You called guitar center and actually expected anyone to hear you over the racket and chaos in the background!! Or should I just leave it at " Really, you called guitar center?"
Ya I know I was just heckling prices before I went online, silly me
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post

The prices are insane
I love Monoprice. Everytime I order something from them, I think, "How are these guys making any money?"

And their shipping costs are very reasonable, too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search