The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So I called my local GUITAR CENTER today and... Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Are u trying to say how cool and pro u are?? come on.... this is not worst a Thread.....now, if you have problems with that store and u tell your story to prevent us to don't deal with them, then is great...
Old 10th September 2011
Unless you called up and talked to Mitt Romney, you weren't talking to "the owner."

As others have noted, GC isn't franchised. In 2007 it was bought by Bain Capital, the megabucks private equity firm started by (current US prez hopeful) Mitt Romney and some of his mega-ultra-rich pals. (Wikipedia: "Bain Capital turns a profit on floundering corporations by buying them at low cost, stripping away any projects that aren't profiting or which have potential, and laying off any excess workers.")

FWIW, being one of the very first ADAT customers (so long ago, I paid the original list -- don't make me think about how much -- but the vendor threw in the ~8% Cali sales tax), I've always considered "ADAT cables" to be the optical cables used for transmitting signal and "ADAT sync cables" to be the familiar DB9's.
Old 10th September 2011
aaaaaaaaaannnnnnd thats what you get for thinking used gear salesmen know what your talking about.
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRant View Post
Really? You called guitar center and actually expected anyone to hear you over the racket and chaos in the background!! Or should I just leave it at " Really, you called guitar center?"
heh heh heh

FWIW, at GC, I've been "helped" by complete bozos who clearly didn't give two whits whether I got what I wanted or got a reasonable price -- and seen/heard some incredibly negligent/ignorant "information" from some -- but I've also established some really good working/buying relationships with a few folks at GC's who really knew what they were doing and gave me great deals.

(Although, I'll admit, the best of those guys finally left GC because he said he got way too much grief from management and the other salespeople because his deals were "too good." I would have written that off to hubris -- except that subsequently I had a very hard time finding a decent salesman at that store for quite a while. Catch them as you can.)

With regard to Sweetwater, since that also came up, I haven't had many dealings with them but I've never been impressed by the expertise of the people I've talked with -- and I received completely false information from one very friendly guy that flew in the face of the most basic computer recording knowledge.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

get off their freakin case... these guys are getting paid minimum wage to talk to angry ass holes all day and listen to bums play shred and classic rock on their amps all at the same time. do your homework and go in there expecting an experience akin to Wal Mart or Starbucks or Home Depot and get on with it, and get over it. it's really not a big deal, if you've got your own sh*t on lockdown and know exactly what you need. customer service sucks. these guys are not getting paid enough to give you a luxury experience. I am tired of these Guitar Center rants.

PS a good attitude will often result in better service
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Get off you high horse guys who's are complaining about my post!

It was a stupid, funny, and annoying experience I wanted to share with you guys...jeez
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Two full pages on one of the last nice weekend days of the year you guys?!?! Seriously?!!?!?

The OP was fine, but the fact that any of us are not recording or outside because we are arguing about this is just insane!!!!!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbakron View Post
Two full pages on one of the last nice weekend days of the year you guys?!?! Seriously?!!?!?

The OP was fine, but the fact that any of us are not recording or outside because we are arguing about this is just insane!!!!!
Not everybodies lives in So Cal!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

FWIW, being one of the very first ADAT customers (so long ago, I paid the original list -- don't make me think about how much -- but the vendor threw in the ~8% Cali sales tax), I've always considered "ADAT cables" to be the optical cables used for transmitting signal and "ADAT sync cables" to be the familiar DB9's.[/QUOTE]

In sales assume means a return like I said " which ADAT cable"
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

A true moan if I ever heard one, maybe your called the local telephone company by mistake...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyrad View Post
The guy picks up the phone and says his opening spiel then ends it with "the owner speaking". I thought cool, someone who should know exactly what I'm talking about!

Moving on, I then asked "do you guys have any ADAT cables?" he said, "what, what kind of cables?" I said, "you know, ADAT, optical, toslink cable?" he then said, "hold on lemme transfer you."

So, he transfers me to Pro Audio. That is correct, good job owner!

To keep a long story short the Pro Audio guy says the same thing the owner said "what, what kind of cable?"!!!

It gets better. So after he figured out what kind of cable I was, I asked how much? He said "uhhh hold on, lemme check?" comes back with $19 and $22 or something? I said "what lengths? 6 or 12ft? He said, "uh, lemme check?"

Finally waited about 2 seconds and hung up on this idiot! This guy and the owner were complete idiots!

I don't know how they don't know what an ADAT cable is? How do they find these guys?

Whatever, this just made me one step further away from them. They keep on sucking and I can't stand them!
Old 11th September 2011
I think I hate Radio Shacks just a little more than GCs. It's mostly how the sales people are like vultures circling dead meat.

Sent from my Eris using Gearslutz.com App
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchuma View Post
I think I hate Radio Shacks just a little more than GCs. It's mostly how the sales people are like vultures circling dead meat.
Perhaps you smell like roadkill? Just kidding.

I agree with you though. However there are proven sales techniques that really do work: Greet the customer, ask questions about their needs, suggest a product and put it in their hand, explain it's benefits (not just it's features), overcome objections by showing other options and accessories, identify buying signals, close the sale (that's another topic altogether). Tried and true way to selling a physical product.

Sales is an art; high school kids are rarely going to do it well. The problem is inexperienced salespeople trained on a computer to follow a formula they don't understand. They pay poorly, so the ones with talent that can do this in a way that is disarming and not overbearing are promoted to management and pulled from the sales floor.

If they seem like vultures, it's because they haven't yet learned that they must first make a personal connection with the customer and gain their trust. If you don't know the product you are selling, you're not getting my trust, and any suggestion you make will generally be dismissed. If you blindly shove products in my face without knowing what I am looking for or interested in, you're not getting my trust. If you don't give me room to browse when I told you that's all I want to do, you're not getting my trust.

If I tell you I'm just here to pick up some LED's, and I tell you that I'm happy with my phone when you ask, do NOT show me something else. You used up your chance. If you had gotten to know me a little and asked about the project I am working on, you probably could have sold me some solder, tip cleaner, heatshrink tubing, maybe even a new iron if I happen to remember that I burned through the AC cable last time I used it. THEN show me the cool app you have on your iphone that calculates resistor values needed for LED's and ask me what phone I use.
But NO. You went straight for the cell phone. FOOLS.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Damn, I can't believe I got sucked into the MOAN ZONE.
I'm outta here. I hate this section of GSz.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyrad View Post
Finally waited about 2 seconds and hung up on this idiot! This guy and the owner were complete idiots!
They were trying to help and you hung up on them? Classy.

Awesome reason to start another GC-hate thread.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Although, I'll admit, the best of those guys finally left GC because he said he got way too much grief from management and the other salespeople because his deals were "too good." I would have written that off to hubris -- except that subsequently I had a very hard time finding a decent salesman at that store for quite a while. Catch them as you can.
That's understandable, though, isn't it? If the deals he's giving are "too good" then the store is making less money (as is he), and the other salespeople are losing sales to him as well (which isn't really a good thing either...what good is it for the store or its employees to have people battling each other on price?).

And is a "decent" salesman just one who gives you a rock-bottom price?
Old 13th February 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
That's understandable, though, isn't it? If the deals he's giving are "too good" then the store is making less money (as is he), and the other salespeople are losing sales to him as well (which isn't really a good thing either...what good is it for the store or its employees to have people battling each other on price?).

And is a "decent" salesman just one who gives you a rock-bottom price?
Agreed. Earn your keep and pay the sticker price or take your butt to eBay or Craigslist if you want a deal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search