The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I don't like mixing while clients are here!!! You? Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 1st October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
i don't even like recording with them there.....
+1,000,000
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjboogie View Post
I had a session to mix. Well my client decided to pop by and hang out while I did so. He's not my average client although he is a regular one. Happens to be a good friend however still I don't like having people sit over my shoulder while I'm working on their material.

I was self conscious the entire time and it was very distracting. In the end we still got a great mix and he really did stay out of the way but just his presence alone was distracting.

Anyways....how do you guys do when you have clients over while mixing?

I actually prefer to have the client present. Instant feedback. It can be distracting and uncomfortable if you aren't used to it, but wants you get comfortable I find it be useful. Sometimes even fun. And sometimes the client buys me lunch!
Old 5th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Sometimes even fun. And sometimes the client buys me lunch!
Happens to me also heh and sometimes they bring beer, you can smoke together, have a chat, ... very nice side effects
Old 6th October 2011
Gear Maniac

I find it depends a lot the client.

The clients who I have worked with in the past, are welcome to attend the mixing session as they know when to give me time to tweak little things, they know my "workflow", and generally don't jump in and fire off a million questions. They are just generally easier to have around while I'm mixing.

Sometimes I prefer having the client "looking over my shoulder", as they can provide instant feedback, be more involved in all the decisions, and ultimately come away with a greater understanding of mixing, which they can hopefully keep in mind for next time...

Other times I find it very annoying, and certain clients just make me feel plain uncomfortable... This, in turn, prevents me from putting together a good mix, which causes them to be even more annoying, and of course this further inhibits my ability to mix well!
Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear

i don't like it.

they don't know my workflow.

they don't know my speakers/room.

there is often a big difference between what they want and what they think they want.

preferred method is to do the mix....send to the client or have the client come in for the last hour of the mix. get comments. make tweaks. done.
Old 6th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan jetter View Post
there is often a big difference between what they want and what they think they want.
That's for me too the biggest obstacle. And after that: how they try to explain what they think they want. Costs time and nerves.

Another point that speaks for working together with the clients: They know how long you were working. There won't be any suspicions about it.

If they moan endlessly, I just tell them the longer they talk, the more I earn. Or I tell them to do the mix themselves, I just charge more for renting out the complete studio heh I must say I had only once such a client.
Old 10th October 2011
I remember back in the mid seventies I was mixing a come back album for Sammy Davis Jr at some two-bit sleazy dive rented studio in Minnesota...well it was late in the night one night and cold and Sammy and his rag-tag entourage decided to lob in on the session. Sammy, boozed up as usual proceeded to perform a soft shoe routine on top of the console while I was trying to mix The Lady Is A Tramp. Members of the entourage were passing in and out of consciousness...blurting out snippets of sentences...things like 'that's the only time I saw that mothball again'...and 'tell me about the rabbits George'. Noone could stand for very long...they all looked more or less like crumpled coats strewn around the floor willy nilly...except for they would periodically fly into action and start shuffling around the studio like puppets. Well Sammy pulled out a gun after about 10 minutes and shot holes in the mixing board...screaming something about a badger. I tried to talk him down...but he was just unreachable in those days. Miss ya Sammy
Old 11th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I remember back in the mid seventies I was mixing a come back album for Sammy Davis Jr at some two-bit sleazy dive rented studio in Minnesota...well it was late in the night one night and cold and Sammy and his rag-tag entourage decided to lob in on the session. Sammy, boozed up as usual proceeded to perform a soft shoe routine on top of the console while I was trying to mix The Lady Is A Tramp. Members of the entourage were passing in and out of consciousness...blurting out snippets of sentences...things like 'that's the only time I saw that mothball again'...and 'tell me about the rabbits George'. Noone could stand for very long...they all looked more or less like crumpled coats strewn around the floor willy nilly...except for they would periodically fly into action and start shuffling around the studio like puppets. Well Sammy pulled out a gun after about 10 minutes and shot holes in the mixing board...screaming something about a badger. I tried to talk him down...but he was just unreachable in those days. Miss ya Sammy
What a story

But completely OT. It was not meant "I don't like try to stay alive while clients are here?"
Old 14th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post

That sounds so crazy it's probably true
Old 16th December 2012
Gear Nut
I much prefer having the client looking over my shoulder. The added pressure brings a certain air to the room which allows creativity to flourish.. I find i want to show off my skills and somehow this seems to make things work better. I can imagine it would be a pain in the backside if the client was backseat mixing.. however it seems most of the clients i have through the door have a very clear vision. My job is to forward this vision.
Old 16th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjboogie View Post
I had a session to mix. Well my client decided to pop by and hang out while I did so. He's not my average client although he is a regular one. Happens to be a good friend however still I don't like having people sit over my shoulder while I'm working on their material.

I was self conscious the entire time and it was very distracting. In the end we still got a great mix and he really did stay out of the way but just his presence alone was distracting.

Anyways....how do you guys do when you have clients over while mixing?
I understand perfectly how you feel.

There has to be a deep connection between the music and the engineer so that the music can tell you
what it needs and doesn't need.

I never ever let clients come into the mastering sessions anymore, either they trust what I do, or they just can hire someone else.
Old 16th December 2012
Gear Addict

Well, I've never done it as a "pro", TBH I've only picked up a few clients here and there just to make some extra money....basically, to make a long story short, they were all pretty much just vanity projects (even though some of them had SERIOUS delusions of hitting #1 on iTunes LOL) that I got hooked up with just by being in the right place at the right time...thing is like I said I don't do it as a pro but I definitely know what I'm doing and can turn out a great sounding final product, especially for what I was charging and what I had to work with...

I hated it whenever they sat in, but because they were such complete and utter "noobs" for lack of a better term they usually felt it necessary, though I would usually just do it when they weren't around and then let them hear it...

The thing that really got to me was one woman who was a singer songwriter who had just started doing it singing and playing and writing....anyways at first I was just supposed to add keys and strings and horns and all that, but then I told her I could turn out a much better final product than the guy she was gonna go with, cuz even she knew he was clueless and was just gonna rip her off....Anyways her husband was her "manager", even though he knew JACK about music or mixing or mastering or anything even remotely related, however when they'd be there together he'd be like "you need to EQ her voice more". Seroiously, WTF!?!?!?!? LOL He had no f#$ing clue what he was talking about, I wanted to just SCREAM at him "Are you kidding me? I need to EQ her voice more, huh? OK! Any particular frequency? Nope, just "EQ"? Oh, OK, just so I'm clear!....."man that was frustrating, but he was footing the bill so I was just like "Oh yeah, ok, definitely!"

"You need to EQ her voice more"...yeah OK dude, the worst part is like I said he had no idea that that was the equivalent of saying "you need to record her voice more" or "you need to do more to her voice" but he thought cuz he used the term EQ even though he had NO clue about frequencies that he sounded smart or something, I don't know....man that really burned me, cuz he was always chiming in with stupid stuff like that...

Like I said though all in all because of the complete inexperience of all the folks I was dealing with I was almost always able to do everything I needed to in their absnece, then just play it for them...
Old 19th December 2012
Three things I dislike in the studio:

1. Girlfriend producers (yes, just like David St. Hubbins' GF in Spinal Tap)
2. Band members who become expert vocal coaches during tracking of LVox
3. Band members present during mixing, so they can make certain they are heard - louder than everyone else.
Old 19th December 2012
mixing with people in the room

is mixing too,

your double mixing

make it work!
Old 19th December 2012
I don't like to mix whit people in the room. But I like to let people listen every once in a while to make sure that they're happy whit where I'm going whit the mix.
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Three things I dislike in the studio:

1. Girlfriend producers (yes, just like David St. Hubbins' GF in Spinal Tap)
2. Band members who become expert vocal coaches during tracking of LVox
3. Band members present during mixing, so they can make certain they are heard - louder than everyone else.
2 and 3 are tried and true! lol.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search