The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ebay Final Value on Shipping Fee??!!! are you F'n kidding me???!!! Condenser Microphones
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

ebay Final Value on Shipping Fee??!!! are you F'n kidding me???!!!

I just noticed that ebay is now charging a 9% final value fee on shipping as well as a fee for listing, final actual value fee, paypal fee, photo fee, etc. . . . . Just makes me really appreciate the Second Hand Gear for sale section here . . . . ebay is just charging way to much in fees now . . . time to look for and start using an ebay alternative. . . they are just out of control!!!! F Them!!!
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajschuk View Post
I just noticed that ebay is now charging a 9% final value fee on shipping as well as a fee for listing, final actual value fee, paypal fee, photo fee, etc. . . . . Just makes me really appreciate the Second Hand Gear for sale section here . . . . ebay is just charging way to much in fees now . . . time to look for and start using an ebay alternative. . . they are just out of control!!!! F Them!!!
So what would be decent alternatives to sell/buy gear, apart from craigslist? Anyone with a good experience on this?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yep...They suck now more than ever.

Craigslist is what it is.Nothing perfect but I use this more out of spite from the greedy eBay/paypal regime.

Before the internet,There was always The Recycler.

I use Ebay as a last resort...if not just for the exposure.It really depends on the type of item your selling and so on.

Best of luck
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Evilbays fee's are a giant ball of suck !!!!
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Guru

Yeah it sucks but thankfully I believe there is a $100 cap on the 9%. And then also get you with the paypal fees.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
Evilbays fee's are a giant ball of suck !!!!
Ebay will go under at those fees, I figured up mine the other day and it was only 5 percent, wonder how that guy got charges 9 ?
Old 5th September 2011
$1, $2000 shipping and handling.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

is Amazon marketplace not a viable alternative?

Yeah ebay are mad these days...
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
And the reason they started charging fees on shipping is because of greedy sellers, they started lowering the selling price and raising the shipping price to balance it out and pay less commission to Ebay. You can thank them for making us all pay more now.

Bingo!
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru

Ebay went up due to sells down, wouldn't you think ?, there sells cannot be up give me a break.

Plus I normally try to get GS to pay via gift option here, I am a very honest person and always delivery great gear when I sell, even overseas guys buy from me with gift option.
Make a good track record and keep it clean, you will do good, hey it saves the buyer money because I'm able to sell for less.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrum View Post

I use amazon marketplace quite often. It is a very viable alternative, but only for certain items.

Firstly, you can only list items on the Amazon marketplace that exist in their current catalog. So you can't sell high end microphones or something that is ot popular.

Secondly, it take you much longer to sell some stuff, I find, through the Amazon marketplace. Usually the expensive or fancy items do not sell so well through there I find.

What is great about the Amazon marketplace is that they do not charge you to list items. Also as you make the listing you see exactly how much you will net, right there, so you can adjust prices accordingly to make sure you get what you want.

With ebay they are quadruple dipping you:

You pay to list (if you want a Buy it Now or a reserve price).
You get a Final Value Fee on the sell price
You get a Final Value Fee on the shipping
You get charged for Paypal (which ebay owns)

Like other have said, for me it is a last resort, or if I really want to sell something quickly.
Old 5th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrum View Post

Amazon's fees are higher. Sometimes over 10% depending on the category and your store status.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Amazon's fees are higher. Sometimes over 10% depending on the category and your store status.
Which is lower or even to eBay in some categories.

For example if you sell a microphone in the right category they take about 9% on the final value fee. And about 3% from paypal. Not to mention any shipping %.

The real kicker is they both take it from the selling price. So its not like they take 9% off the top and then 3% of that adjusted amount.

That being said, sometimes I find ebay the only avenue, but they still suck and bleed one dry.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Best thing to do is list an item when it’s free listing day(s) for 10 days.

Then use the end auction early form.

I guarantee some one who was watching it will make you an offer, might happen overnight might take a few weeks.

"have you still got the x y z?"....

its the only way to get payback for the rip off fees, of course dont do it all the time, just on expensive stuff peps want.

You can also contact any bidders made during the time and then contact them later.

Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I had a recent ebay issue and wrote a letter to the CEO of ebay (sent it Fed-Ex) and got zero response back. I guess that goes to show you the what king of leadership that is at that company. All it does is drive prices up as sellers with increased expenses will just raise prices.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I had a recent ebay issue and wrote a letter to the CEO of ebay (sent it Fed-Ex) and got zero response back. I guess that goes to show you the what king of leadership that is at that company. All it does is drive prices up as sellers with increased expenses will just raise prices.
most likely sat around laughing at you m8 instead.
Old 7th September 2011
I would doubt that he ever even saw it.
Old 7th September 2011
Deleted User
I'e used EBay for over a decade. It's a tremendous value.

Think about life before eBay and paypal:

If I wanted to sell something I had to put it on consignment at a local shop at 25% commission -- that's what rogue music NYC charged. Plus it took forever to sell.

Could have used harmony central classifieds which was a hot spot or sonic state. Payment? COD. Remember those days? What a disaster.

Craigslist is still do-able but it could take forever! And you can get into some creepy situations with counterfeit money or getting robbed etc I bought a Mackie mixer from a dude once and on the way out the door he wants to know if I want to buy a bunch of knives from him. He gets between me and the door with a 10" blade. I thought I was done for. I remained calm. And buddied him up as said man! I'm so late for a gig! I'll think about it. I swear this happened. Down in Bay Ridge, bklyn.

I look at it like this, these are the costs (plus many more) that most businesses have to deal with. Think about how often we call corporate America greedy. eBay has tremendous costs as well. Seller and buyer protection must cost them loads. I've been tricked a couple of times but because I followed the steps, they refunded me. They once gave me $300 because I used the paypal complaint system a couple times one month to return some garbage someone thought they could screw me with. It failed. The paypal buyer protection system worked.

In the end the average cost for me is 10%. 10 freaking percent! It gets cheaper if you are a power seller and if you own a store and if you use the promos.

When I owned a restaurant I wished I could have had such low overhead.

I respect the gripes people have. I really do. But can 10% really be criticized?

By the by, EBay is not doing that well.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I never like giving a chunk of my money away, but I do have to shake my head when I see yet another complaint about "unfair" ebay fees. I understand the annoyance at paying a rate on the shipping fees, and have to question ebay's decision making in this, but I still think its a bit rich that so many people complain about ebay as if it's their right to sell product or goods to a global market without being charged distribution and handling fees for their advertising and cash!!

Commercial auction houses charge between 15% and 40% fees to sellers, and most add up to another 20% in buyers fees, then there's VAT to pay on top. This means not only do both parties have to pay the auction house and the tax man, but selling prices are less than they might be, because the seller has to take into consideration the extra fees and taxes they have to pay. Put htis up against ebays "unfair" fees, and you'll see you're getting a good deal! Regarding paypal, if you were a trader using their business bank , you would be charged a fee both for transferring and receiving funds, and if you want to accept credit card payments there would be extra monthly fees for the service, plus still percentages to pay (although these are invisible to most purchasers as retailers generally absorb these fees in their pricing)

Ebay has moved the goalposts a few times, but it still remains an extremely effective way of buying and selling goods in a woldwide market. Before the dawn of the internet, where would you be able to sell your high end gear? To a dealer (for a fraction of the second hand value). Or wait around until someone in your local area reads your ad in the classifieds and comes round to haggle with you over the price - most second hand equipment used to change hands for around 50% original value, assuming it was in good condition. On ebay, I've seen biddders paying more than brand new retail value for second hand items such as SM58s and D112s, and just have a look at second hand prices for U87s etc!!
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Took so long typing my reply, I missed trashman's - glad to see someone else has got their head screwed on!!

Good point as well about buyer protection etc., this is a big part of why people will pay more for goods on ebay at auction, and just one of the many hige costs ebay has as a company

And to the OP - if you're worried about the extra % charged on the postage, just put your P&P up by that amount to cover it - that's what all the shops will be doing!!
Old 7th September 2011
Deleted User
I swear I'm not a trust funder. But I
Know a bunch because of where I went to school.

So, my buddy shops at Christie's quite a bit and he told me just the other night that they charge a fee to be auctioned, plus 25% of final value to BOTH the buyer and seller. You gotta be kidding me ; P

What a world. Lol

(posting from iPhone and the autospell is madness)
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have been able to buy and then sell a boatload of high end gear and microphones because of Ebay. The fees involved are a whole let less than renting the stuff and trying it, and in many cases I even made money on the stuff.

I still think Ebay is the best option out there for buying and selling this stuff.
Escrow can be of help on higher transactions... I've used it to buy a pt hd system without the paypal bs on ebay 2 years ago.

it incurs fees too, but who said we lived in a free world anyway...a service is a service after all
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I would doubt that he ever even saw it.
Your probably correct - eBay have very lame C.S. IMO
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
I have been able to buy and then sell a boatload of high end gear and microphones because of Ebay. The fees involved are a whole let less than renting the stuff and trying it, and in many cases I even made money on the stuff.

I still think Ebay is the best option out there for buying and selling this stuff.
I think you are right or at least selling, for me buying is better here on GS.
If someone is blowing out a high end piece of gear on ebay at a stupid price I will jerk mine off and re-list later.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search