The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
student in college..need direction!! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

student in college..need direction!!

Hey Guys,
So this site has been huge in helping me with audio solutions over the years, but now I'm looking for what is probably the most important solution to my questions. I'm a student at a university getting my B.S. in recording technology. With all the red flags being thrown up about so few paying jobs in this industry, I've begun considering instead taking up a Business degree instead and continuing to teach myself audio engineering through internships, instructional videos, etc. on the side.

I would SERIOUSLY appreciate some genuine feedback on this topic as I'm at a complete crossroads right now.

Also are there any growing industries, such as film, or video gaming, where audio engineering may be more promising as a career?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I got a college degree on audio engineering but the diploma itself didnt get me where i am today.

If i were in your position I'd get a degree in electronics. You can still work directly in audio and you have other paths to follow is that doesn't work. And the electronics know-how will help you a lot if you build a career in audio engineering.

Just my 2 eurocents

Good luck!
Old 3rd September 2011
Film and television are going to continue to grow I think.
I've worked with some very talented and skilled sound designers and final mixers.
In the end, your ability will open doors, so get as much out of your course as possible. I think qualifications are important for teaching and jobs in major corporations, like larger or government controlled TV and radio.
So i would continue with your course, but the emphasis should be on skilling yourself, not on getting the paperwork at the end.
Try and find work experience outside the course - local radio, college radio or recording local bands etc...
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Electrical engineering would serve you well, as would a business degree.
A recording degree is not worth much IMO.
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

thanks everyone, I've never really considered a degree in electronics though it sounds interesting,

any more opinions out there???
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Sorry to be and old cynic but its mainly about who you know - and not just in the recording biz. The point of university is to network. Having said that with an Electrical Engineering Degree you should never be out of work for long, especially if you know the difference between a JX8P and a OBXa. My tuppence worth.
I'm also sure that you realise that most people who do Degrees do not end up in jobs that need that particular Degree - just how many Historians or Profs of Mediaeval literature do we actually need!
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

While my alma mater has provided me with a powerful network, I think it is silly to say the point of a university degree is networking.
The point is to get educated and be a valuable resource to future employers as well as becoming an enlightened individual.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yeah, I probably overstated that.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

these days finding a job regardless of the field will be difficult. i can say a BACHELOR's degree will give you a leg up trying to find other jobs outside this industry. as far as working in audio... hahaha, i've deleted this phrase 2 times now... i have no idea what to tell you. time, patience, skill. emphasis on patience NOTHING HAPPENS OVERNIGHT. if audio is your passion you'll figure out a way to make it work.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search