The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dear Ilok Studio Accessories
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Dear Ilok

Because my ilok broke (it's maybe 4 months old, gee thanks, Slate) I get to pay ilok.com $30 for a warranty coverage and $100 for an "expediency" fee for delivering temporary licenses. (PT9, Slate plugs) They are so nice to throw in a free replacement ilok, but it will take 2+ weeks to get here. Sooo - I get to go buy another ilok in the meantime for $49. Add another $10 for shipping. Oh - and no phone support either.

It would be fine if I could just buy another ilok and transfer the licenses from the broken one to it, but you can't. What a ****ing racket.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
I thought maybe installing the Neyrick or UAD 6 software might have cause a quick problem with my ilok2, but the thing is just dead. Here's the latest...

Well - I don't know if it's UAD that's the problem. I downloaded UAD 6 and Neyrinck V-Control. I tried to start PT9 and it wouldn't authorize - which lead me to figure out that my ilok2 wasn't being recognized. It flashes when I plug it in, but then doesn't have the blue light any more.
The ONLY solution ilok offers is to reset the default browser security settings - which I did. Still not recognized. The next step lead me to this.
$30 for the ilok protection warranty
$100 for "expediency" charge and temp licenses
$0 for a new ilok ($16 shipping)
BUT
Since VCC only works on ilok2, I was forced to go ahead and buy another ilok2.
So - I'm almost $200 in the hole for an ilok I was sent from Slate. It has never moved out of the USB slot and has lasted a grand total of around 4 months. Absolute bull****.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, I passed on the Brainworx level plug because of the dongle. I'll be damned if I'm gonna fvck with a dongle. But now I'm fighting Sony for a new authorization for a reinstall of CD Architect, playing duelling emails.

What the problem is... In the old days, when something didn't work, Mom would wake dad up while he was on nightshift, pour out her moan, and send him over to the offending company. After a visit from a large, grumpy factory worker, the problem was generally resolved. Any relapses were solved by her saying, "You don't want me to wake Bonny up, do you?"

See, if we had a way to enter our info, product number, serial number, cereal number, ex-wife's SS#, hit a key, and have the service rep's monitor reach out and bitch-slap the nitwit, we might get something done around here.heh
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

that sort of problems is why i wont buy any product with a dongle

surprised that nobody has hacked cracked the dongles
instead of doing all the software one by one
bypass one dongle and they would get more bang for their effort-buck
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Ilok = reason enough to buy something else.

todd
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru

Sorry for that John. I'm sure it's frustrating. I couldn't live without iLok's though. With 100+ pieces of software, something as simple as an OS upgrade or DAW version upgrade would turn into a two week affair. Also, it allows me to bring my TOOLS with me when I'm mixing on another system at a different studio.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Friends don't let friends use iLok.
Old 2nd September 2011
It's unfortunate, but the "expediency" fee is your own fault - if you had "zero downtime" in the first place you wouldn't have to pay this. If any hardware failed on you, you'd have to wait for it to be repaired, and only a few companies will ship you gear in the meantime (and you'd still have to pay shipping). If you get an "advance replacement" interface from Avid, it costs you something like £150 on top of the repair fee.

I feel your pain that something has gone wrong - it's a pain in the arse. I've not had it happen personally with iLok, but I can see what a ball ache it would be - although I do have ZDT in place. It's unfortunate, but sometimes unfortunate things happen - nothing is infallible (just look at all the "my HD failed" threads). Still outweighs the hassle of challenge/response auths for me, and since so far I've had 7+years of iLok with no problems, even if it failed tomorrow I'd still hold this view.

PS I've also just switched to iLok2 with Slate VCC, so we'll see....

At the end of the day, if scum didn't steal sh1t, no one would need security at all. But they do. Bastards.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
It's unfortunate, but the "expediency" fee is your own fault - if you had "zero downtime" in the first place you wouldn't have to pay this. If any hardware failed on you, you'd have to wait for it to be repaired, and only a few companies will ship you gear in the meantime (and you'd still have to pay shipping). If you get an "advance replacement" interface from Avid, it costs you something like £150 on top of the repair fee.

I feel your pain that something has gone wrong - it's a pain in the arse. I've not had it happen personally with iLok, but I can see what a ball ache it would be - although I do have ZDT in place. It's unfortunate, but sometimes unfortunate things happen - nothing is infallible (just look at all the "my HD failed" threads). Still outweighs the hassle of challenge/response auths for me, and since so far I've had 7+years of iLok with no problems, even if it failed tomorrow I'd still hold this view.

At the end of the day, if scum didn't steal sh1t, no one would need security at all. But they do. Bastards.
You do have a heart after all...

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 2nd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY View Post
You do have a heart after all...

Yeah I just don't let it out very often
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Well I'm locked out of my ilok,and no I did not lock it!.

I forget my password,so to reset my password I need to know my childhood nickname,which is Jake but its not working.

I tried to email theylok,buy no response.

Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
My understanding is that even with ZDT, you would have to pay the $100 expediency fee to receive temporary licenses. All ZDT does is insure your hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post

Old 3rd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
My understanding is that even with ZDT, you would have to pay the $100 expediency fee to receive temporary licenses. All ZDT does is insure your hardware.
Pretty sure the $100 fee is for ZDT minus 'cooling off' period. It's like buying insurance 'after the fact' which of course in most other facets of life you can't even do.

If you have ZDT, there should be no additional fee. Unless something's changed and I'm misunderstanding...
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Ditch the software, go all analog. Problem solved! =}
Old 3rd September 2011
Quote:
You misunderstand. Because you don't have ZDT in the first place, you have to pay the $100. Your hardware is "insured" anyway (pace will replace any faulty ilok) but you'll only get the temp licences if ZDT is in place - and if it's not, you pay the $100 premium.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
Ditch the software, go all analog. Problem solved! =}
Indeed. Now all you need is a couple hundred thou in outboard. A 2" machine that will work round the clock, so add a tech, a console of course - preferably API or Neve for tracking or SSL for mixing, a $20-30k patchbay / wiring setup, dont forget star grounding setup and huge commissioning costs, oh yeah, and another tech to keep stuff running when the first one is unavailable. Oh yeah, and a computer. Yeah, you're still going to need one of those, since at least half of your clients won't pay for tape costs..,,,,,,,
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Indeed. Now all you need is a couple hundred thou in outboard. A 2" machine that will work round the clock, so add a tech, a console of course - preferably API or Neve for tracking or SSL for mixing, a $20-30k patchbay / wiring setup, dont forget star grounding setup and huge commissioning costs, oh yeah, and another tech to keep stuff running when the first one is unavailable. Oh yeah, and a computer. Yeah, you're still going to need one of those, since at least half of your clients won't pay for tape costs..,,,,,,,
Old 14th September 2011
Just don't buy iLok. I know that's not very helpful to a person who already owns one, but I would just refuse to use it. There is not a single piece of software out there good enough to justify an intrusive forced-middle man anti-piracy system like iLok... not even Waves. iLok is only there to prevent piracy, it doesn't help you in any way, and yet you the consumer are the one who ends up paying for it's inconvenience.

Staunch defenders will of course deny this, but iLok actually encourages people to pirate software who otherwise wouldn't. I'm not saying pirating wouldn't exist, what I am saying is it forces some customers who would have bought their software legally, to instead pirate software. The disadvantages, restrictions, and inconvenience... piracy starts to look pretty tempting.

My advice, sell off all your iLok software and stick to things with regular serial numbers. Avoid things with limited installs, harsh activation methods, or anything like it. Always ask yourself this question, when looking at anti-piracy measures. Does this benefit me at all?

Good luck
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmike15 View Post
Just don't buy iLok. I know that's not very helpful to a person who already owns one, but I would just refuse to use it. There is not a single piece of software out there good enough to justify an intrusive forced-middle man anti-piracy system like iLok... not even Waves. iLok is only there to prevent piracy, it doesn't help you in any way, and yet you the consumer are the one who ends up paying for it's inconvenience.

Staunch defenders will of course deny this, but iLok actually encourages people to pirate software who otherwise wouldn't. I'm not saying pirating wouldn't exist, what I am saying is it forces some customers who would have bought their software legally, to instead pirate software. The disadvantages, restrictions, and inconvenience... piracy starts to look pretty tempting.

My advice, sell off all your iLok software and stick to things with regular serial numbers. Avoid things with limited installs, harsh activation methods, or anything like it. Always ask yourself this question, when looking at anti-piracy measures. Does this benefit me at all?

Good luck
Face, I'm sorry to do this to you, but you know, the nose has really p1ssed me off today....
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is not a single piece of software out there good enough to justify an intrusive forced-middle man anti-piracy system like iLok... not even Waves. iLok is only there to prevent piracy, it doesn't help you in any way, and yet you the consumer are the one who ends up paying for it's inconvenience.
Regardless of whether it's "good enough", there are many people who need to use iLok-protected software to work. Pro Tools is a great example...sure, there are other programs that are similar in capabilities and maybe even "better", but if you have to be compatible you have to use Pro Tools. The same may be true for Waves and other commonly-used plugins.

The iLok does help me because it allows me to use my software on a number of systems easily, and aside from the small amount of time I've spent updating software and adding licenses, I don't see that I've paid for its inconvenience at all. Having had a hard drive die with a number of pieces of serial number-based software on it along with several iLok-protected plugins, I can say that the serial number-based plugins were a much larger inconvenience.

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm a "staunch defender", and I won't limit this to the iLok specifically...but copy protection in general doesn't force anyone to steal. For many people theft is simply not an option.

Quote:
It certainly benefits me to have the companies from whom I buy software stay in business. Remember BitHeadz? I do, because I bought some of their software, and I can't upgrade it because they're not around any more.

And it would certainly not benefit me to sell all the software I've used for years.
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmike15 View Post

Good luck
Re-reading this, it limits someone to just about...nothing! IK/NI are both out, all the Rob Papen synths, I guess I could use my Massey plugs but no PT to run them with, Logic I guess I could use (but legally only on 1-2 machines - I have 3 I need installations on). No Waves/UAD...no softube, Slate....no Arturia....nothing!

Looking at your advice - does this benefit me at all?!
Old 6th December 2011
Here for the gear

Just got the same problem. Shortly after download of UAD 6.1 software, my iLok 2 on mac has stopped working. Just flashes. Anybody got an answer for this? Obviously will email both companies.
Old 6th December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Because my ilok broke (it's maybe 4 months old, gee thanks, Slate) I get to pay ilok.com $30 for a warranty coverage and $100 for an "expediency" fee for delivering temporary licenses. (PT9, Slate plugs) They are so nice to throw in a free replacement ilok, but it will take 2+ weeks to get here. Sooo - I get to go buy another ilok in the meantime for $49. Add another $10 for shipping. Oh - and no phone support either.

It would be fine if I could just buy another ilok and transfer the licenses from the broken one to it, but you can't. What a ****ing racket.

Weird. I was under warranty with my failed ilok2 and had to pay nothing. Shipped the broken one on Monday and ilok cross-shipped a new one. The recieved the broken ilok on that Wednesday and I received the new one the same day and by that night I had my licenses restored.. 2 days.
Old 6th December 2011
I'mn either a friend of dongles. If you want you can have those plugs anyway cracked, so it's kinda useless.

My studio mate has one. So I still ordered Soundtoys. First you need internet, we don't have internet in the studio (ok, that's nowadays just a small group of customers heh). But I didn't know what will happen, if this stick fails and what it'd cost... phew... not funny.
Old 8th December 2011
Just for knowledge sake shipping is always free from sweetwater

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search