The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drummer vs LM-4
Old 23rd March 2006
Here for the gear

Drummer vs LM-4

Please help me! I'm laying down tracks for my own personal recordings and I'm at the stage where I need to start editing the drums. In an ideal world I would have a drummer or even myself record the parts live, as nothing beats the sound of a live drummer in my opinion, especially when referring to rock guitar based music which is my scenario.
Unfortunatley I don't have this option, and am stuck with the LM-4 VST drum machine, Drumkits From Hell samples, and Cubase SX. I know some tips and tricks to make the kit sound more realistic and not like a dance record, but I was wondering if anyone else out there would have any advice that may help with my problem.
I'm sure there are other people in my situation, so any information would be greatly appreciated by all us home recording junkies who don't have access to drum kits or drummers, or simply don't want to (you've heard all the jokes!)

Any info would help to soothe the pain so please do not hesitate to lend your kind words of wisdom

Thankyou
Old 23rd March 2006
Gear Nut

if you hav3e a little bit money left & some time to invest to learn how to program groovy drums:

drums from hell Superior

or

bfd from fxpansion

bfd is diffrent, also they have diffrent kits (deluxe, standard, xfl, etc)

I like dfhS very much, and even if you quantize hard it still sound f**ing good.
Old 23rd March 2006
Gear Maniac

Hey,

Post the song!

We'll see if anyone's interested in adding drums.

The LM-4 is worse than a drum machine, IMO.
Old 24th March 2006
Lives for gear

For Drummer's sake please don't use a drum machine. When used in rock they really suck hard.

Check out Brian. He is pretty much the real deal around here. You send him your recordings without drums and he records them in his studio and sends them back. He has the perfectionist attitude and is not happy until your happy. Here is the web site. drumoverdubs
Old 27th March 2006
Here for the gear

Cheers for the feedback, all is appreciated.
I know what you mean about drum machines or samplers, they really suck when referring to rock music; they just never have the same feel as a live drummer (despite all the headaches!!!). But if I'm honest the recordings I'm doing at present are for my own personal amusement and I'm at the very early pre production stage. I just wanted to improve my drum sequencing techniques and make them sound more realistic than they currently are for demo purposes.
But I'll definitley post some tracks up when I eventually get something half decent finished, it'd be great to hear what you guys could conjure up, thanks again for the advice though
Old 30th March 2006
Lives for gear

I use DFH and I play live to a click with a keyboard. I'm not trying to brag, but I'm pretty good. Up a sample, and I'll up a sample of what I do. Maybe we can work something out. If you're more interested in learning it yourself, I understand.... just offering the option...

DFH is pretty good for rock, imo. Not a whole lot of variety, but you can get em quite big.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search