The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If this is true it is not good,,,
Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

If this is true it is not good,,,

I just learned that one of Cleveland's premier recording studios may have just closed its doors for good. The studio was Ante Up/The Analog Arcade and I always thought they were doing very well.

A couple of years ago Buchanan Recording Studios closed up as well.

Both were mega console equipped and both had a major impact on the recording scene in Cleveland.

I guess it is not a good time to have a major recording studio in these parts. I wish Michael only the best...
Old 14th August 2011
Gear addict

I figured it would only be a matter of time before this showed up here. I am closing the studio on 36th Street but there's a lot of logical reasons for it and I have a solid plan moving forward. We were booked solid right up to the day I pulled the plug so it was not an issue of lack of business... Rather an issue of me wanting something else out of life. I'm going to paste my facebook post, from a few days ago, below for anyone who's interested:
----

In an effort to put an end to all of the rumors and gossip, I thought I'd go ahead and address a few things straight on for anyone who cares to know.
Many of you may have heard that I will be shutting down my studio located on East 36th Street. This is TRUE. There are multiple reasons for this decision. I won't get into everything but it basically boils down to the following:

1) I have an amazing wife, a daughter who's almost six and a son who will turn two next month. I don't get to spend nearly enough time with any of them and that really sucks. My family is the most important thing in the world to me and I'm at a point in my life where I've come to realize that anything continuously pulling me away from my family is something I do not need or want to be a part of. I have spent the last 8-9 years working 16-20 hours per day and I haven't given my family the time they need and deserve from me. I don't want to miss my children being children and I don't want my wife to feel like she's being ignored. For those of you who have been there, you know exactly what I mean. For those who haven't, don't worry... You'll grow up someday too

2) I want to make music, not be a boss, facility manager, etc. Running a big commercial facility is a pain in the ass and yields little reward. Dealing with landlords, multiple employees, vendors, etc. eats up a lot of time and energy and is a huge distraction when you're trying to be creative and focus on producing, recording, mixing, etc. I miss being able to simply sit down and lose myself in the music without having constant interruptions and being pulled in a million different directions at all times. I want to simplify my business and my life in general so I can enjoy both again. It'll make me an even better engineer and producer and an even better husband and father.

3) I do not own the building on East 36th Street and do not want to continue to sink money into a property that I don't own or, ultimately, control. We've had many issues at this location over the years (the details of which I will not go into here) and I just don't see the logic in continuing to develop a space I know that I will be leaving anyway when I could be saving money for what's next.

4) My wife, Meghan, and I have been searching for a new building for about a year now and, most likely, we will end up buying or building a property where the studio and our home can co-exist. It's taking time to find the right fit because we're looking for something pretty specific and we will not just settle for something less than perfect. Whatever we end up doing, it will be ours, it will be simple, and it will be right.

5) I have worked out an arrangement with my father, Bruce, who has a very nice studio out in Euclid. There's a great control room (which was actually based on the B control room at my place) and a very large tracking room with really high ceilings. I will be using this facility as a home base for tracking. Closing my place will also free me up to work out of any other studio (in town or out of town) or to work in non-traditional locations (houses, big open warehouses, barns, etc.). I'm excited about mixing it up and exploring new sonic space. Recording in the same rooms gets boring after 8 years no matter how nice they are. Everything I've mixed in the past year has been mixed out of the studio I have at home despite having two big studios sitting downtown. I will continue to mix at the house and track wherever it makes the most sense to track for any specific project.

Simply put, the only logical reason to continue to operate out of the East 36th Street location would be ego and that's NEVER been the motivation for my being in this business. It's not 1983 anymore and operating a big studio is not an inherently profitable endeavor.. I knew this going in though so it's not like it was a surprise or anything. Ante Up/The Analog Arcade was a labor of love from day one. I stayed in Cleveland because I believed there was a ton of talent here and I didn't want to be yet another person who just turned their back on this city. I'm very proud of what we (the staff, every musician who ever set foot in the place, and all of the people who have stood with us) have accomplished over the past 8 years or so. From helping young and upcoming artists, to working with internationally acclaimed acts I believe we did Cleveland proud.

If anybody thinks this is the end, you're missing the point. It's not about the place, it's about the music and the people making it. All of the engineers who worked out of my place will continue to make great records because they're amazing at what they do. I will get back to focusing on what I'm most passionate about and I will be a happier and more fulfilled person as a result.

One final note. Everyone knows how harsh and backstabbing certain people in this city can be. There will be people who will want to rip me down in an attempt to build themselves up as I make the decisions I feel are best for myself, my family, my friends, and my clients. There will be people who read into things, make up stories, etc. It's already happening now and, believe me, I'm well aware of it. This is the kind of **** you have to endure when you actually put yourself out there and try to accomplish things instead of just sitting on your ass and complaining about how unfair life is and how much "Cleveland sucks". I'd highly encourage these sad people to take a piece of advice from my friend Nicholas Megalis:

"Do me a favor. Transfer your energy into something a little more positive"

For everyone else... I ****ing love this city and I'm looking forward to making a lot of noise with you very soon.

Michael Seifert
Freelance producer/engineer/mixer
Old 14th August 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the update and best of luck in your new "home". One of your former interns works here and he is GREAT!
Old 14th August 2011
Lives for gear

That is too bad, but understandable in light of his situation. Great open letter! Good luck in your next venture.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app so please forgive any bad auto-correct. I'll try to fix it in the mix later!
Old 14th August 2011
Good stuff, but how will you make money to keep supporting your family? Are you going to keep working from home or at your father's studio? I think I missed something.

You're closing up your studio because you don't want to be egotistical about owning a big space, but then you decide to work from home to make a vanity project? haha I think it's funny. Ego vs Vanity.
Old 14th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Good stuff, but how will you make money to keep supporting your family? Are you going to keep working from home or at your father's studio? I think I missed something.

You're closing up your studio because you don't want to be egotistical about owning a big space, but then you decide to work from home to make a vanity project? haha I think it's funny. Ego vs Vanity.

I think it's about wanting to balance all the things you love and simplifying your life to make that happen.

Less BS = More time for the stuff that really matters to you.

All the best to you in this new phase of your life.
Old 14th August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
I think it's about wanting to balance all the things you love and simplifying your life to make that happen.

Less BS = More time for the stuff that really matters to you.

All the best to you in this new phase of your life.
It's tough, I really hope he saved up a lot of money!
Old 15th August 2011
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
It's tough, I really hope he saved up a lot of money!

Ummmm........running a commercial recording studio is really tough, expensive, and typically not profitable -
as most pro studio owners here know - ESPECIALLY if you don't own the real estate.

You may be too young and inexperienced to understand.

Michael. Thanks for the open letter.

I wish you peace, joy, good health, and inspiration!

Old 15th August 2011
Gear addict

Thanks for the support guys.. It's nice to know that most people "get it" and I do appreciate it. Chris... I think you've missed my point entirely and I'm not sure how you translated what I posted into a vanity project. I made way more money *before* I owned this studio than I ever made while operating it (as in at least double, maybe triple as much). I'm fortunate enough to have a sizable client base who will go wherever I go because they want to work with me. I'm looking forward to working less hours and taking more money home again and I'm really looking forward to the added time with my family and quality of life that will come with that. If this is something you can't relate to, I'm at a bit of a loss
Old 15th August 2011
Lives for gear

Seems like your rolling with the times in the best way. So true, that if you offer unique value and talent, much of your client base will roll with you, and your new situation could attract fresh clients too. Ultimately, it's relationships and doing your best at what you love that count. Huge luck to you!
Old 16th August 2011
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by anteupaudio View Post
Thanks for the support guys.. It's nice to know that most people "get it" and I do appreciate it. Chris... I think you've missed my point entirely and I'm not sure how you translated what I posted into a vanity project. I made way more money *before* I owned this studio than I ever made while operating it (as in at least double, maybe triple as much). I'm fortunate enough to have a sizable client base who will go wherever I go because they want to work with me. I'm looking forward to working less hours and taking more money home again and I'm really looking forward to the added time with my family and quality of life that will come with that. If this is something you can't relate to, I'm at a bit of a loss

Sounds like you have your ducks in a row.

I'm sure you'll do great!

Old 3rd March 2012
I know Michael, worked with him a bit, know his family and his level of commitment AND sacrifice. He's not lying--he put his heart, soul and every minute of his day into his work. He is the living embodiment of "the real deal." Sitting behind the console was the least of what he was involved in... you have no idea how hard this guy worked.

Plus most of us in the biz know it can suck you dry and leave you very little in return. At the end of the day music stands for something; love, relationships, ideas. What sense is it to throw away love, relationships and ideas for the *pursuit* of something that symbolizes what you already have?

I know I'm a little late coming to this conversation, but a lot of what led me to choose my particular path (academia) away from music seems echoed here in Michael's response. I salute him for putting the truly important things first and not getting sidetracked by mere vocation.
Old 3rd March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by anteupaudio View Post
... It's not 1983 anymore ...
This is the part that hurts the most.
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Addict

Michael: I have read your post a number of times. I have respect for you and for your actions. If I had been smart enough, so many years ago, my first family would probably not have gone up in smoke. Priorities... It is all about correct priorities and commitment to them.

Best to you in your new endeavors.
Byll
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

anteupaudio
... It's not 1983 anymore ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
This is the part that hurts the most.
I feel you there!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search