The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Oh Joel Patterson what did you do?!
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Oh Joel Patterson what did you do?!

How can this be?!

joelpatterson
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Halfwitted morons get to parade their ignorance and absence of social graces without sanction, whilst a bighearted dispenser of pearls of occasionally cryptic wisdom is publicly tarred and feathered.

Oh Moderators, where is thy mercy and vision?

Truly, these are dark days for us all.
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Oh no...

What a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy...
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

What?
No way!

Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

It just means all of us who valued his opinions have to spend more time in the other forum where he still posts.
And that means less time/traffic for Gearslutz.
Hint, hint.
Old 29th June 2011

Joel suspended! Come on guys - he's not a cnut!! Leave him be.....
Old 29th June 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

He is invaluable to this community.

I don't care what he did wrong. But what he did good should at least give him 5x the ammount of infractions allowed until ban.

This site has let me down.....

Joel we already miss you man
Old 29th June 2011
Gear Guru

The good guys get banned, and the trolls multiply.....

Are the end times at hand?

I become more disparaged with GS......

Will miss Joel! One of the truly unique good guys out there.
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Are the end times at hand?
Sound the vuvuzelas of Armageddon!!!
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Oh entertain some rationality please , if he broke the rules and consequently got infractions then the mods are doing exactly what they say they will do in the site FAQ ... moan about the actual rules themselves if you disagree with them. It would be worse for the site if 'favourite' posters were given exemption ... everyone is treated the same way and we all have to follow the same rules. That's actually the only fair way for it to work.

I'll miss Joel's postings as well if he decides not to contact the mods and get himself 'reinstated'.
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

can somebody point to the threads which caused his infractions?

his posts crack me up constantly, can't imagine him being an a-hole.
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
What? Never seen Joel say a harsh word to anyone. Is this true?
SG you are absolutely correct, Joel is the "Poster Child of Civility".

This is very discouraging and I bet that it's something trivial.

I'd like to hear/read all the poop that led to this extreme action by a moderator/moderator's.

Sorry Joel and we are all miffed as hell about this drastic action.

Regards, ,,deda,,
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

I'm betting Joel requested the infractions so everyone would gang up and say nice things about him.
Old 29th June 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
Oh entertain some rationality please , if he broke the rules and consequently got infractions then the mods are doing exactly what they say they will do in the site FAQ
Oh that it were so simple and straightforward.....life would be so much easier.
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

indeed
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Well, unless there are some dark utterances he made in a thread that's been "taken down", this is the list of his latest postings:

Gearslutz.com - Search Results

None of them seems out of order. Unless "reading threads ain't for sissies" was found unacceptable.

Gearslutz Homeland Security ... what is going on?

The people demand an answer!

Whilst I agree that rules are rules etc etc, this suspension seems as clear a case of breaking a butterfly upon a wheel as you could think of.
Old 29th June 2011
Gear Guru

Jules or some other mod can jump in and correct me, but in my UNDERSTANDING (limited, but from what I can figure, it's close or on the nose) of other bannings, all that's necessary is enough flack from "concerned" GS members pressing "REPORT" in a negative way against you. Get 3 of those infractions and you're gone.....

Many of the great personalities on GS have rubbed newbies the wrong way, only to get the boot when said newbs gang up and "report" the offender.

Personally, I think if you're going to allow "negative" feeback from GS members on another member, there should also be a "positive" feedback function. Only seems fair.....

But what the $#@! do I know. heh
Old 29th June 2011
Gear Addict

I just want to chime in and add that this is a travesty. 3+ infractions? 3 seems low, considering how much garbage is spewed around here - just look at most of the thread titles in the Moan Zone! And they single him out? Mods, if you're reading this ban me too. Seriously. I'm sure I've said harsher things than him. Morons. What a great achievement in life to be a mod on an internet message board. Do you all pay rent to sit all day in your mom's basement or what?
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by character View Post
Do you all pay rent to sit all day in your mom's basement or what?
They're all working audio professionals actually
Old 30th June 2011
Quote:
Personally, I think if you're going to allow "negative" feeback from GS members on another member, there should also be a "positive" feedback function. Only seems fair.....

Even better is if we could sell points! Maybe trade them for gear. If you are about to get whacked, you could trade an EQ for some points. It's like carbon credits or something. I wonder how many points a 1608 would require?
Old 30th June 2011

Quote:
Jules or some other mod can jump in and correct me, but in my UNDERSTANDING (limited, but from what I can figure, it's close or on the nose) of other bannings, all that's necessary is enough flack from "concerned" GS members pressing "REPORT" in a negative way against you. Get 3 of those infractions and you're gone.....

Many of the great personalities on GS have rubbed newbies the wrong way, only to get the boot when said newbs gang up and "report" the offender.

Let's go an pick on a newbie.... you know.... to show my brutal side.
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

And... TOUCHDOWN! GS has now officially landed on the other side of the shark. It's been a 3-year-long bullet-time slow-mo jump but it had to end sometime!
Old 30th June 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hence, my comment about living in their mother's basement.

Although they can't be working too much if they have time to rack up 15,000+ posts. Unless they fake their stats to show higher post counts, which somehow seems even more pathetic - to lie about having no life. At any rate, they remain diligent in their censorship duties, but strangely silent in addressing concerns about those duties in threads such as this. Speak up - explain yourselves.
Old 30th June 2011

Quote:
Hence, my comment about living in their mother's basement.

Although they can't be working too much if they have time to rack up 15,000+ posts.
never had a job have ya?

Guess what the last thing you wanna do when you work in music? That's right - listen to music .... heh
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

... maybe I had better hide before the noob-killers get me
Old 30th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
They must be tied to their job so much.
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Speak up - explain yourselves.
read the FAQ and perhaps your vitriol will neutralise
Old 30th June 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I don't know how one would fake stats, but I would prefer my post count much smaller, not sure if that makes me pathetic as well. It really isn't that hard to log in a couple times a day, read the threads I am following and add some posts. Rather easy to rack up quite a few each day.

I always look forward to Joel's replies, not always funny, but odds are pretty good. And always a good hearted poster.
Most boards allow mods to change stats, and apparently some of them set their own post counts extremely high - I guess to give some air of authority perhaps.

I do appreciate your sentiments about Joel's posts. Too bad to see him go without explanation.
Old 30th June 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
read the FAQ and perhaps your vitriol will neutralise
Well apparently there is some disagreement about what infractions he committed (as no recent posts seem inflammatory). So it seems only right that a mod address these concerns. Why is the process kept in the dark? The smoke and mirror routine is usually not a good sign.

Quote:
Members can get banned for any number of these reasons 1) Persistent rudeness and insults to forum members 2) Persistent use of foul or 'locker room' language 3) Persistent complaints about the way the forum is run, it moderators or its admin 4) Persistent posting of off topic threads (political threads, threads that bear no relation to the sub forum guidelines) 5) Persistent wasting of moderators time by indulging in flame wars & bickering We dont issue statements on the circumstances of events that lead to people being banned. That would waste more time.
1) Persistent rudeness - No recent posts show that he did this. 2) Foul language - Same. 3) Persistent complaints about the way the forum is run, it(s) moderators or its admin - I doubt he did this, but the secrecy of this whole suspension process would only welcome such complaints. This policy is total bullocks. What about when complaints are justified? Who moderates the mods in this kangaroo court - where no evidence or explanation is apparently needed when banning members (5)?
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

this is not the first time joel got banned... the first time no pleas helped, he was out for a month and that was it. Hopefully he'll be back soon..

be strong, joel!
Old 30th June 2011
I'm here to do two things, chew bubblegum and get banned. And, you guessed, it, I'm all out'a gum.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search