The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ITB: it's still a lie Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
Guys, please, post a links to your 100% ITB mixes.
I'll guess some will be REALLY good, that's also not the point (if you read well that is)
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kre8 da RedBeerd View Post
Opinions are never wrong, just varied.
That's an opinion, and it's wrong
Old 22nd June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCDBM View Post
spot on! been there, done that. ITB is great! but not for emulating the harware counterparts they're trying to mimic with their gui's which are generously shared on banners...

If you read well, you'll notice the distinction, right?!?
I don't necessarily disagree, I just question the necessity or usefulness of this thread. I mean, not many hours pass around here without without some dude slapping himself on the forehead and making some big earthshaking pronouncement about how this or that is the greatest thing since the last thing he thought was the greatest thing. Or the opposite. Really, it's rube behavior.
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Same old tired a$$ thing again?

Even hardware doesn't emulate original hardware very well...come on.

What is a new fender champ compared to an older model from the 70's?

How many hardware Neve clones are out there that admittedly are only emulations or approximations based on the original topology and/or design? Can anyone say "GAP Pre 73"? And does it sound so close to the preamp section of a Neve 1073? Not so much. And who cares really? It's a useful pre. Dig it or not, nobody really gives a ****e about some id10t's un-productive useless opinion.

Most hardware you buy today is advertised as being "based on" or "inspired by" the original design or architecture of antiquated gear...from microphones to preamp's, signal processor's, dynamics, EQ, etc.

Gimme a phreakin' break. The OP is...well...you all get my point. Kinda pissin' up the wrong tree IMHO.

Hardware...Software...what difference does it make any more until you start spending serious cash $$$$ on high-end gear? After being a consumer of UAD products and cards, I found there are some fantastic free plugs that are just as rich in effect and sound as costly UAD kits.

As Britdick so eloquently put it, "Blah blah blah blah blah..."
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

you nailed it and probably worded it better than myself.
NOTHING wrong with plugs, but something SERIOUSLY wrong with companies marketing them as software eqauivalents of "world most sought after hardware units" They don't sound like those units, not even close.

Does that make them bad plugs? NO, certainly not, just give them a different GUI and call them something else/original.

Quote:
I Think it is wrong to put out a plugin that claims to be EXACTLY like a hardware predecessor, but isn't, and at the same time overcharge for its purchase, simply because of the name association.

The elementary nature of the differences between hardware and software are going to guarantee a difference in performance. In fact, I'd go so far as to say there would even be a difference in performance between hardware units (vintage units in particular, due to aging) of the same make and model. The environments the units are/were located in, basic maintenance, amount of use, and even the cables used for I/Os are going to have an effect on the sound coming out of the unit, correct? Just as much as the difference in the same sound through two different sets of monitors.

This is all a preference thing. Those with maad experience with the original hardware are likely to have issues with the sounds of the virtual version of those units because they know what the real thing is supposed to sound like. Likewise, those with less experience are more likely to appreciate the digital replicas of the hardware units based simply on the modernity of the applications. There will be overlap of the opposite opinions, as well.

I Think taking offense to stuff said in here is crazy. In particular a thread such as this, which is OPINION based. Opinions are never wrong, just varied.

Peace
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
After being a consumer of UAD products and cards, I found there are some fantastic free plugs that are just as rich in effect and sound as costly UAD kits.
Also very true
Old 22nd June 2011
Gear Head

Thank you for this highly informative thread with new and useful information. I have never seen a thread like this before. Once again, thank you.
Old 22nd June 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fussy Part View Post
I have never seen a thread like this before
This is an opinion, and it's WRONG!

Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

you're welcome (and so are the other already 590 views )
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is an opinion, and it's WRONG!

heh LOL
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does that mean plugins are bad? NO definately not, they are good in certain things, however succesfully emulating hardware isn't one of them.
So what? Big deal. Who cares? I don't.

Learn to use what you have. Its good enough for killer tunes. No excuses!!!! analog-schmanalog...
Old 22nd June 2011
Gear nut

My opinion:

SW is not comparable to HW. I have not worked with many pro gear. But i have a UA 610 with eq, nothing from out of space, and I notice much better eq than pluggins.
HW is faster to get good results. No doubt.
And i think that only u could get good results ITB if the source is recorded with great preamps in a very good environment..
Also i notice my mixes going down in quality when bouncing (with logic9).
I think that no pluging can emulate the distortion added by a good piece of analog gear.

So...if the source is good, the mix is good doing just a bit of work (ITB or OTB). But mixes OTB with pro gear have something special. Nobody can refuse this....better or not...just a question of taste...but more special...smoother, deeper....
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
Guys, please, post a links to your 100% ITB mixes.
There's one in my sig.

Also you can go to my songs page here: Songs

Everything on this page was mixed ITB.

-R
Old 22nd June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
There's one in my sig.

-R
Are those links on the songs page -- or just the titles? I couldn't get anything to play.

:(
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does that mean plugins are bad? NO definately not, they are good in certain things, however succesfully emulating hardware isn't one of them.
But hardware is even worse at emulating software, so there.
Old 22nd June 2011
Village Idiot

Attached Thumbnails
ITB: it's still a lie-d.jpg  
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

ITB works for me. Do I miss having a console? Yes! For the tactile, instant gratification it offered. But, "I think", my work is sounding better since going ITB and becoming less gear minded and more music minded. Do plugins sound as good as hardware? I don't care, they sound pretty great IMO. Why loose sleep over it? You can endlessly tell yourself this sounds better than that, and that sounds better than this. And it may to you on that day, in that moment! But that doesn't make it the right or only choice. And it doesn't get music made. Get some tools you enjoy using and move on to what's important.
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
There's one in my sig.

-R

Are you fa real?....that wreaks of Pro-tools!!!!! I could tell that was itb before I even hit play!

Just kidding, just kidding ...in all seriousness, nice tune and a great mix. Excellent use of depth. The Emmy tune, that is.
Old 22nd June 2011
Gear Head

This makes me wonder...

Is processed cheese supposed to 'replace' regular cheese, or 'simulate' it?

I bought some cheese last week that said it was 'simulated cheese' flavor... not sure if it was trying to REPLACE regular cheese or just provide a cheaper alternative or whatever.

This stuff confuses me...
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Wow thread is going uphill

Keep them coming guys, don't forget the OP and my responses, rather than getting entangled in eachother
Old 22nd June 2011
Quote:
Wow thread is going uphill

Keep them coming guys, don't forget the OP and my responses, rather than getting entangled in eachother
I'd say the asides are considerably more interesting than the topic, myself.

I rather liked this from Labs, above:
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ded4now View Post
Is processed cheese supposed to 'replace' regular cheese, or 'simulate' it?

I bought some cheese last week that said it was 'simulated cheese' flavor... not sure if it was trying to REPLACE regular cheese or just provide a cheaper alternative or whatever.
I get it, plug-ins are basically processors for lactose intolerant people.
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I bought some cheese last week that said it was 'simulated cheese' flavor...
Do you live in the US perchance?
Old 22nd June 2011
Gear Nut

...come on, we all know that our future is called digital or bio-digital or whatever - sooner or later (<50 years i guess) outboard, cables etc. are for museum and/or nerd purposes.
so i´m lucky to live today - use hw/outboard, tweak my knobs to death and feel like a pro and not like guy from yesterday heh

cheers
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
I really don't give a flying f*ck if the plug sounds exactly like the hardware.
Does it do something useful?
Can I use it creatively?
Does it help me make stuff sound good?
That's all.
this says it all, and yes there are many who do this. But best is hyprid, use the best of both...
Old 22nd June 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fussy Part View Post
Thank you for this highly informative thread with new and useful information. I have never seen a thread like this before. Once again, thank you.
Actually I did see a thread very similar to this - but it was a long long long time ago, at least 2 or 3 days, and surely technology has changed enough since then for us to revisit the subject.
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Actually I did see a thread very similar to this - but it was a long long long time ago, at least 2 or 3 days, and surely technology has changed enough since then for us to revisit the subject.
I just want my own little pandemonium, don't you get it?
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

I sort of agree. Plugs don't emulate them down to the last percent, but come close and they will get there because the technology behind the most respected pieces of analog gear hasn't changed, while computers and digital technology is forever changing. Both are incredibly useful.
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I bought some cheese last week that said it was 'simulated cheese' flavor...

...and gnawed on it in a van down by the river.
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Here is another one for you, you can't download outboard (owhh my, this will seriously piss some people off.... )

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search