The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So... Tron: Legacy sucked. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

So... Tron: Legacy sucked.

Saw it in IMAX 3D. Visuals were stunning, and the story had me just a little, but not enough to keep me. Some of the cast didn't work for me and more than a little of the acting was laughable. I'm a big Daft Punk fan but thought their score was ineffective at nurturing the right emotions at the right time, and there was simply too much music. The director seemed scared of dynamics - let the movie breath a little. Of course there were holes in the plot, but, in general, it lacked the hook of the 1st Tron. I didn't particular care about the lead character, I didn't understand enough about what occurred between '82 and 2010, or enough about the "Grid" or enough about what was driving each character. As often happens with visual movies, the story is back burner. They should have learned more from Pixar (who, supposedly, consulted with them on the story).

Realizing that I've over-analyzed it, I'm writing this one off as a visually entertaining movie still worth the $15, though, really, that's a shame because the original was that AND so much more.

See it yet? Thoughts?

(edit: Daft Punk's soundtrack may very well hold up on its own, away from the film. I haven't heard it that way yet.)
Old 2nd January 2011

I liked it. Better than Avatar!

Soundtracks okay - Daft Punks contribution is interesting, great textures. Meyersons mixing is great - but the orchestration and orchestral recording are - well - sh.it.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I was thinking back about the original and I remember much more about it than I do Legacy, a movie I just saw only 24 hours ago.

Would it be better in 2-D? Was I overwhelmed by the visuals? I don't think so, but maybe.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I found it entertaining but not memorable.

I was surprised the Daft Punk score wasn't drier and tighter. It was very wet and wide and grand and Vangelis-like. Not necessarily a bad choice, but I would have been happier if they more boldly embraced a simple, punchier aesthetic.

The lead actor, whoever he was, is someone we shan't see in movies again. Truly, truly awful and bland. I'm astounded he beat out other actors for the job. Someone must have seen something in him. So strange.

It was embarrassing to see him standing next to Jeff Bridges. The massive disparity between each of their screen presences was embarrassing. It's like here's effing Jeff Bridges and here's some guy who seems like an extra, but somehow is supposed to carry the picture.

- c
Old 2nd January 2011
T1M
Gear Maniac

The music was definitely a sound track, not a score. The entire movie was a disappointment but I don't know why anyone expected anything different.
Old 2nd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
).

Realizing that I've over-analyzed it, I'm writing this one off as a visually entertaining movie still worth the $15, though, really, that's a shame because the original was that AND so much more.

See it yet? Thoughts?
Dude you paid $15 to see an Imax 3D moving and are moaning?

Man a 3D Imax movie here in Manhattan its $20!!! Take a date and get pop corn or pretzels with cheese, a big soda plus some candy and you are easily spending $60. If you even decide to take a cab there or back to her place its easily $80 for a night out at the freakin movies.

Oh yeah on the movie i liked it. Didn't see in 3D Imax though. Just your regular flat 2D.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Two tix: $30
Convenience fee: $4
Parking: $16
Concession stand: $10

So, all in, more like $60.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
I liked it. Better than Avatar!

Soundtracks okay - Daft Punks contribution is interesting, great textures. Meyersons mixing is great - but the orchestration and orchestral recording are - well - sh.it.
It had a cool Jean Michael Jarre thing around it, though the overall soundtracl didn't suit the film too well, but I'd die if I heard another cheesy Hans Zimmer score in 2010.

I liked the way they don't exaplin the technical things too much, leaves a lot open to your imagination, which is engaging for me, I hate films like that which insult my intelligence and explain every little pointless thing which your average apparently doesn't understand.
Old 2nd January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by booob View Post
It had a cool Jean Michael Jarre thing around it, though the overall soundtracl didn't suit the film too well, but I'd die if I heard another cheesy Hans Zimmer score in 2010.

I liked the way they don't exaplin the technical things too much, leaves a lot open to your imagination, which is engaging for me, I hate films like that which insult my intelligence and explain every little pointless thing which your average apparently doesn't understand.
ha ! so true. I thought the orchestral elements were a bit Zimmeresque - although Zimmer has moved on from those cheesey things (Sherlock Holmes was cool!).
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
ha ! so true. I thought the orchestral elements were a bit Zimmeresque - although Zimmer has moved on from those cheesey things (Sherlock Holmes was cool!).
So was inception, though I swear every blockbuster he does sounds the same with a different melody. ha
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Enjoyable but not memorable . exactly how I felt . I also felt Daft Punk's soundtrack was flat (but then so was the acting in the scenes they accompanied) . Can't wait to hear and see how bad the eventual remake of Blade Runner will be .
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
@WVUtubadude

Delete your post. You're spoiling the plot for people who haven't seen the movie.

- c
No.

Another thing I loved was the grumbling that came after the note that some scenes were in 2D. I was a little annoyed at first, but then it ended up being a cool way of distinguishing the two worlds.
Old 2nd January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid View Post
Can't wait to hear and see how bad the eventual remake of Blade Runner will be .
as bad as the original - unless you mean the excellent "directors cut".....
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
The massive disparity between each of their screen presences was embarrassing. It's like here's effing Jeff Bridges and here's some guy who seems like an extra, but somehow is supposed to carry the picture.

- c
Yeah , no doubt . Should have got Colin Farrell .
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
as bad as the original - unless you mean the excellent "directors cut".....
If memory serves , the score by Vangelis sounded dope in both .
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Two tix: $30
Convenience fee: $4
Parking: $16
Concession stand: $10

So, all in, more like $60.
WTF!

I just moved into the US. In Germany this would cost maybe 25$.
Same IMAX.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Enjoyable but not memorable . exactly how I felt . I also felt Daft Punk's soundtrack was flat (but then so was the acting in the scenes they accompanied) . Can't wait to hear and see how bad the eventual remake of Blade Runner will be .
I heard the sondtrack before the movie and it didnt impress me at all.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
WTF!

I just moved into the US. In Germany this would cost maybe 25$.
Same IMAX.
Welcome to the big US cities. Those were Chicago prices.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Welcome to the big US cities. Those were Chicago prices.
sorry I am stupid, you said TWO tickets ... not one.
Old 3rd January 2011

Quote:
If memory serves , the score by Vangelis sounded dope in both .
now that, my dear chap, is a fact!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUtubadude View Post
Not to mention that this is a thread about the bad qualities of a film and anyone who hasn't seen it and is reading this probably doesn't care about a few spoilers, so you two can take a big breath and chill out. Ok?
I gave away my personal opinion. You gave away a plot element. Not exactly a subtle difference.

Dude, why not just delete your spoiler and keep the rest? Holding your ground on this point accomplishes what exactly?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

It was a blast to watch - just visual fun and creativity matched with a cool soundtrack and decent enough story to keep me watching. I certainly didn't expect Magnolia-deep plot lines, and I'm glad I didn't. Great popcorn movie.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Great popcorn movie.
I don't disagree, and I still say that it was worth the $60, but fans of Tron, and fans of Pixar's stories (they were, in fact, consultants), and fans of modern CGI might have had higher expectations like I did. There was so much potential to be great (though, going into this, I didn't feel to confident about the director and lead actor) - when it was merely a popcorn movie I felt let down.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya
The massive disparity between each of their screen presences was embarrassing. It's like here's effing Jeff Bridges and here's some guy who seems like an extra, but somehow is supposed to carry the picture.

Quote:
Yeah , no doubt . Should have got Colin Farrell .
sorry to pimp my own post . but to keep my rep intact I just got to say , the above post was meant as sarcasm .
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

The movie was alright, but I loved the soundtrack.

Has a great acid, 303 style to it. Bought the OST and I'm really diggin some of the extra tracks.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd View Post
The movie was alright, but I loved the soundtrack.
You liked the score as an underscore for the movie? Or you liked the soundtrack on its own, apart from the film?

I didn't think the score worked as well as it should have for a film that needed the help. Still, the music was impressive for a band that's not accustomed to writing for films.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

And why is there a gay rave in this movie? I mean, that's when I wanted to hurl my drink at the screen. The guy from Frost/Nixon's character was incredibly annoying and actually made me cringe with embarrassment. An insult to the viewer. How can they POSSIBLY think this is a good idea when writing/filming?

And oh yeah, any reason WHATSOEVER why TRON suddenly turns against CLU? Bueller? Bueller?

Great effects, crap story...worse dialogue. Why, oh why didn't I go see True Grit instead?
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

I had really low expectations for this after reading all the bad reviews, but my nine year old son was begging me to take him months before it came out. So, we wen't, and I thought it was way cool to watch. Maybe because I expected it to blow cockroaches and it didnt is why I was so impressed. It was awesome eye candy, and a lot of the reasons why critics hated it were reasons I kinda liked, such as the complaint that it was sensory overload. The lead guys acting was not all that great, but I dont see movies like Star Wars etc to see Acadamy Award acting performances. Shucks, I'd take this Tron over any of the last three Star Wars movies.

I enjoyed the soundtrack, I felt it fit the feel of the movie. While watching it I thought Trans Am back when they were in their prog/Rush phase could have added to the soundtrack.

Another huge plus is that there was no romance/love scene crap thrown in it just to do it which seems to happen all too often. I hate when they insert "love" "romance" "sex" into a movie that really does not need it. I think that is the reason that John Carpenter's "Thing" worked so well, and why some critics feel it did not do as well as it should have.

On a soundtrack note, John Carpenter did a lot of his soundtrack work and I think a lot of it does not get the love it should.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

First of all, I don't think anyone entering this thread expects it to be spoiler free.

On the movie/soundtrack: I recently watched the original Tron to see if it was good enough for a sequel/what to expect from a modern follow up, and it is a rather naive and at points plain eye-rollingly stupid movie, with the worst pacing I've probably ever seen. Jeff Bridges is the only reason I struggled through it. The digital world the story plays out in is plain ridiculous today, what with programs with emotions and other human characteristics. The effects have aged badly too, even if the art direction still works. The contrast between the human-acted programs and the primitive landscape/vehicles is too much for my liking.

The new movie is a more fluent affair. I liked Tron Legacy a lot more than I expected to. It's lean and plot driven, and with today's real world virtual landscape being much more advanced I don't have much of a problem with this version of visual development inside Tron-world.

The lead actor is not too bad, to put it in context, he's miles better than Hayden Christiansen was in Star Wars, and I guess the main problem stems from the underwritten character rather than the acting. The sexy black haired girl is far worse imo. The plot is servicable but not good, and a little more convoluted than it needs to be for such a simple story.

The music worked alright for me, apart from the orchestral bits, which felt unnecessary and pedestrian and at odds with Daft Punk's tracks. I wish they delivered all the more subtle bits as well...

Last edited by satellitedog; 3rd January 2011 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: forgot one important word. :-)
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedog View Post
On the movie/soundtrack: I recently watched the original Tron to see if it was good enough for a sequel/what to expect from a modern follow up, and it is a rather naive and at points plain eye-rollingly stupid movie, with the worst pacing I've probably ever seen. Jeff Bridges is the only reason I struggled through it. The digital world the story plays out in is plain ridiculous today, what with programs with emotions and other human characteristics. The effects have aged badly too, even if the art direction still works. The contrast between the human-acted programs and the primitive landscape/vehicles is too much for my liking.
Are there any other fond childhood memories of mine you'd like to stop by and slaughter while you're at it?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search