The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So... Tron: Legacy sucked. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

I haven't seen Tron yet as I thought the original was pretty stupid when I first saw it at the age of eleven.

But, I was very alarmed to read that the same guy that's directed Tron Legacy is planning to remake The Black Hole as his next project. Now that movie was supercool. Best soundtrack ever!!

Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Sorry, Jeremy, Tron was a fond childhood memory of mine too up to a couple of days ago. I wanted to watch it as I remembered it was a cool one. Still the art direction and Jeff Bridges' loose swagger are worth a revisit.
Old 4th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedog View Post

The music worked alright for me, apart from the orchestral bits, which felt unnecessary and pedestrian and at odds with Daft Punk's tracks. I wish they delivered all the more subtle bits as well...
absolutely - and let's add the orchestra was :

badly recorded
rushed (it's full of mistakes)
poorly orchestrated
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyGone View Post
The Black Hole as his next project. Now that movie was supercool. Best soundtrack ever!!
I agree. THAT'S a great score.

Interesting story: a few years ago I checked into a hotel in Orlando with a team of production people - one of the guys was named John Barry. This was NOT the composer JB, but the hotel staff assumed it was and instantly upgraded him to one of the biggest suites I've been in to date. He didn't want it and gave it to my girlfriend and me. We were charged a regular room rate. Why is it that the the guys who already have the big money get all the perks???

I thought the Black Hole remake was just a rumor.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Haven't seen "Trace On" yet , but willing to give ita look , even if just to see how Remy looks :P
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Dude you paid $15 to see an Imax 3D moving and are moaning?
Seeing it in 3D at a regular theatre here costs $20 for some stupid reason. My first sticker shock was during Avatar. "Whoa, twenty, really? Whoa."

3D is nice and all, but at $20 a pop I'm inclined to go about twice a year. I stopped doing concession stand purchases long ago and started sneaking stuff in.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
I stopped doing concession stand purchases long ago and started sneaking stuff in.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

I guess you could say I have an intolerance for these kinds of movies. Pointless story, hollow characters, alien race and girl...pointless, and then the villain...oh god. I was somewhat entertained for the first 15-30 minutes, but the ship sunk pretty fast until it was just eye rolling painful. There was a part in the movie where this electronic Daft Punk song starts in the club and you just know the bomb is going to drop as it climaxes...and then? one of the most awful action scenes I have ever witnessed, it would have worked better for the movie if they had hired some Asian martial artist dressed in rags to replace scene bad. The last half hour or so even manages to sink the ship into the earths crust it is so shamefully bad. this movie 1 and a half stars. Everyone do yourselves a favor and go watch Animal Kingdom, Black Swan, or True Grit...you know, a real movie
Old 6th January 2011
Here for the gear

So... Tron: Legacy sucked.

For those of you whining about the Hans Zimmer scores of 2010, if you look in the soundtrack booklet, it actually says a special thank you to him. For a band not experienced in film scoring, I was quite impressed. The storyline was pretty terrible, but I didn't have the highest expectations. The religious allusions were what ruined it for me, but I still thought the score sounded like Hans Zimmer feat. Daft Punk + arpeggiator.
Old 6th January 2011

Mixed by Alan Meyerson.

Great mix.

Bad recording.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Haven't heart the OST CDs yet but I'll check those out.

A sequel that' been waiting nearly 30 years to come out, how could they rush the soundtrack? And it's not like Daft Punk themselves have been busy the last 3 years either.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by booob View Post
how could they rush the soundtrack?
They wanted to meet a holiday deadline. I could easily see post production running late, which means DP got their first rough cut late and had less time.
Old 6th January 2011

sadly a familiar story!! I didn't think Daft Punks stuff sounded bad at all... like it a lot. The orchestra though..... hmmmmmm
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Suckfest.

I knew the story and the acting would be pants, so I went to get a visual treat. Yawn, 3D was totally underwhelming. A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey was much more impressive. I kind of liked the near-monochrome styling and artwork but that could not save the movie.

And the music? Psh...

If you're looking for a 3D spectacle, this ain't it. They let us keep the glasses, though...
Old 25th January 2011
teo
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
sadly a familiar story!! I didn't think Daft Punks stuff sounded bad at all... like it a lot. The orchestra though..... hmmmmmm
Still, all it needed was one or possibly two more recording sessions, someone that can orchestrate (it takes the same time to do a good job than a bad one), and a good conductor (or a good ear in the control room).
Even if you are late, what the hell!

I could not believe how some badly out of tune notes from the woodwinds made it in the mix.
Old 25th January 2011

oh.

and the film's fekking awesome !! :0

Thin you have to be in your 40's to like it though. So much of it references the first one.....

The 3D was PERFECT. I hate the "smash you in the face stuff".... it just needs to enhance the visuals - not ride all over them.
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

I liked the music. Vangellis with some distorted square wave kicks.
Old 30th January 2011
Gear Nut

I really liked the movie. It met my expectations. I am a highschooler, so i can't really compare it to the original. I thought Jeff Bridges and Olivia Wilde did the best they could with the script. Didn't really like the main actor. not as charismatic as the other two.

Really liked the set design and visuals. Also i liked how there weren't any of the cheap "in your face" 3d effects, much more subtle. I didn't expect much from the story, but it wasn't that bad. the concept and premise of the plot was enough to satisfy me. olivia's character was interesting.

Overall, I liked it but I can totally see why someone wouldn't
Old 1st February 2011
Gear Guru

Oh, crap. I completely forget to see Tron, and after I made my kids sit through the original, too. Is it still in the theaters?
Old 1st February 2011
Gear Nut

yes it is.
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
You liked the score as an underscore for the movie? Or you liked the soundtrack on its own, apart from the film?

I didn't think the score worked as well as it should have for a film that needed the help. Still, the music was impressive for a band that's not accustomed to writing for films.
I liked the music in context with the film, and by itself.
Old 1st March 2011
Gear Addict

...I kinda liked it to be honest - music & film.

You'd have to be pretty naive to go into this film expecting it to be some kinda cinematic masterpiece, especially given the 'Walt Disney' logo next to the title.

To me, it's the equivalent of eating chocolate ice-cream; you ain't gonna blow anyone's minds with it, but that doesn't mean it's not an enjoyable experience.

PS.
It was worth the admission fee just to witness that blond haired girl in all her 3D glory. ok
Old 1st March 2011
theother
I liked it. Maybe no an all time great movie but quite enjoyable.

I think the music/soundtrack helped a lot. Without it it would not have worked for me.
Old 2nd March 2011
i thought it was great. yes the story was hokey, the plot thin, charachter development minimal, just like the original. this is Disney sci-fi we're talking about here. great soundtrack & entertaining visuals. eye & ear candy.

i think anybody who was dissapointed should rewatch the original & recalibrate their childhood expectation filter.
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
i think anybody who was dissapointed should rewatch the original & recalibrate their childhood expectation filter.
I did exactly that (as did a lot of people) and it only strengthened my stance that Tron: Legacy is the lesser film.
Old 2nd March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I did exactly that (as did a lot of people) and it only strengthened my stance that Tron: Legacy is the lesser film.
so be it.
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, but that's just me. I think many people saw the original recently and thought it was trash.
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

I felt the movie brought out the chimp in me.
I went because of the pretty colors but stayed for the girl. I still have no clue what I was seeing or hearing. Did I mention the pretty colors and the girl?
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsandifer View Post
I felt the movie brought out the chimp in me.
I went because of the pretty colors but stayed for the girl. I still have no clue what I was seeing or hearing. Did I mention the pretty colors and the girl?
That's funny, but in reality I'm right there with you.

The thing is, if you ask me what Legacy was about I'd stumble all over, get much of it wrong, and just plain forget the rest.

If you ask me about the original I could practically storyboard the whole thing scene-by-scene, and I've only watched it about three times.

As usual, story ranks supreme. Some call the original cheesy but it has forever ingrained itself into my brain, cheese and all.
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

I remember seing the original when it came out in 1982. Coming from Star Wars (1977) I was dissapointed with both the story and effects in Tron.
Star Wars set the standard!

Although I do like "The Dude" I usually don't watch "sequals" if the original was bad.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search