The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Big Logic issue Audio Interfaces
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Big Logic issue

im having a huge streaming issue with logic 9 and ive asked in one other spot but since this forum is so big I thought I would put it in another area.

I am having a streaming issue in logic when I am recording. My setup is Logic 9 with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interace running on a Mac book pro Unibody( 2.4 ghz processor, 4 gigs ram, 5400 rpm internal HD, and 90 gigs of free space( soon to be much more when my new external harddrive come in).

My main goal with this setup is to be able to record drums( with all 8 ins of the Pro 40 and eventually the ADAT inputs). I can record fine with my current setup and listen back to my tracks just fine but I am having a huge issue being able to listen to audio( say a playalong track) while recording drums. I can't even get 1 input without the Disk I/o going into the red making it impossible to record a bands overdubs with say a drummer listening to the bands bass and guitar tracks. I however can record while listening to Logics Apple Loops.

The way I usualyl manage my sessions is having logic running off the internal disk and my session running off the harddrive with the files writing to that sessions audio folder.

I should be good to go on a machine like this and not be having hthis problem right?
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

The external FW drive should make it better. Recording to the system drive isn't good. Recording to a 5400 RPM drive is worse. Too slow.
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

The issue is just hearing what I am recording too and recording at the same time making it peak.

When I record with just a click everything is fine.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

I think your disk should be able to handle that task. What are your audio settings? Increase buffer size (256 should work)

and play around with the other settings. What happens when you record only one track (while auditioning one)?
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Get a 7200 rpm internal disk, the internal 5400 rpm disk is way, way too slow.

The first thing I always ditch with any new Mac is the slow 5400 disk. Have a good look about what is the fastest out there and you'll be flying and all smiles again

You could always *alias* your Apple loops so they're not streaming from the OS disk, instead, put them on an external drive and any other sounds that you have so as to keep things running as quickly as possible ...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search