The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So, Paramore are manufactured? Dynamic Microphones
Old 30th December 2010
  #31
Lives for gear
 
mac black's Avatar
I think that connecting this group to the appropriate genre would solve all the issues.

They are a pop act, not a rock band.

No matter how you package it, they were and will always be a pop band, just like westlife or nsync ... nothing more.
Old 30th December 2010
  #32
Lives for gear
 
T'Mershi Duween's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
My songs are vastly superior and I've no doubt they will sell in boatloads. Or maybe you think songs only become great songs after they've sold in boatloads?

thumbsup


Great comeback creegstor!

My sentiments exactly...




heh
Old 30th December 2010
  #33
Gear Head
 

I find his letter to be absolutely crazy...it just sounds like standard fare to me...thats how labels work now a days. he makes it seem like he was the victim of everything. suck it up! being in a band is tough! be thankful that you were able to be on that ride for awhile and do things your own way now "seeing my parents cry as we left" SERIOUSLY?!?! come on...

he tries to make haley out to be this terrible person when Im sure almost all of those decisions were made by the record label or her father. this guy makes me sick
Old 30th December 2010
  #34
Lives for gear
 
TobyToby's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black View Post
I think that connecting this group to the appropriate genre would solve all the issues.

They are a pop act, not a rock band.

No matter how you package it, they were and will always be a pop band, just like westlife or nsync ... nothing more.
Different appeal. Westlife or nsync are in a different genre of pop music. They are/were "boybands"
I would classify Paramore as pop rock, like Coldplay, Kings Of Leon, Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox Twenty, R.E.M., Snow Patrol - Pleasing & emotional but not dangerous or gritty
Old 30th December 2010
  #35
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
LOL. So in the end, the difference between this kid's experience and everyone else who ever played in a band is that he got to play lots of gigs, record some records on someone else's dime, and make some money.
he also got to bang the lead singer for a while

praise the Lord!
Old 30th December 2010
  #36
Lives for gear
 
mac black's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyToby View Post
Different appeal. Westlife or nsync are in a different genre of pop music. They are/were "boybands"
I would classify Paramore as pop rock, like Coldplay, Kings Of Leon, Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox Twenty, R.E.M., Snow Patrol - Pleasing & emotional but not dangerous or gritty
Well, I guess we differ in opinion here, for me they are like a cheesy version of pink, watered down Avril Lavigne.

They have nothing to do with Kings of Leon who are true artists, coldplay or snow patrol, it's like comparing Avril Lavigne to U2 ...

These are a bunch of children managed by the vocalist dad, this is pop, pure pop and the crowd who buys their music is a 12-14 year olds ( no disrespect to any 12 year old) which is pure pop age.
Old 30th December 2010
  #37
H

This thread is really out of control, and please don't think this kind of stuff doesn't happen in every band's break up, especially when they make it overnight. No one is ever quite ready for stardom, especially when you are 15 and 16. This band were home schooled in a van.
I cannot speak for the other records as I was not there, but the way I remember the one I made, was a band in every sense of the word.

We had pre-pro, we rehearsed, we recorded together and everyone other than the Bass Player played, wrote and sang everything. To me this disagreement is all about business and ownership, not necessarily the music. I have no dog in this race, the band had great success worldwide, and that was not an accident.
Most breakups are like a divorce and that is never pretty. I feel bad for both parties in this instance and hope they both succeed at whatever they do. Unfortunately the next few years will be spent catching up on all the teenage years they spent on the road. Growing up is hard enough.
Old 30th December 2010
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black View Post
Well, I guess we differ in opinion here, for me they are like a cheesy version of pink, watered down Avril Lavigne.

They have nothing to do with Kings of Leon who are true artists, coldplay or snow patrol, it's like comparing Avril Lavigne to U2 ...

These are a bunch of children managed by the vocalist dad, this is pop, pure pop and the crowd who buys their music is a 12-14 year olds ( no disrespect to any 12 year old) which is pure pop age.
I get your overall gist but comparing this mediocre pop band to tepid soft-rockers like KOL, Coldplay etc is NOT at all like comparing pop-brat Avril to an all-time great like U2. The former comparison is merely inaccurate whereas the latter comparison is absurd. Sorry to be a pedant but I think it's important to stress the difference between greats and also-rans.
Old 30th December 2010
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Cody's Avatar
 

I mean, lots of indie labels have been under the umbrella of majors for years, but I finally understood the manipulation after reading this blog. I went to the paramore site to see Hayley's statement and saw the site layout...

Facebook!
Myspace!
LIVEJOURNAL! Look at me I'm a normal teenage girl with a blog! BLoggy bloggy bloggy!

I felt sick seeing this band being pushed on our youth under the guise that they are a hardworking indie band that fortunately made it big. Really, it's another way to get that revenue moving into Atlantic's bank account.

None of this is new... this has been going on forever, it's just the first time that I saw it and became insanely disgusted. Had to throw in my two cents. I'm done.
Old 30th December 2010
  #40
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
I mean, lots of indie labels have been under the umbrella of majors for years, but I finally understood the manipulation after reading this blog. I went to the paramore site to see Hayley's statement and saw the site layout...

Facebook!
Myspace!
LIVEJOURNAL! Look at me I'm a normal teenage girl with a blog! BLoggy bloggy bloggy!

I felt sick seeing this band being pushed on our youth under the guise that they are a hardworking indie band that fortunately made it big. Really, it's another way to get that revenue moving into Atlantic's bank account.

None of this is new... this has been going on forever, it's just the first time that I saw it and became insanely disgusted. Had to throw in my two cents. I'm done.
Lol, "Welcome to Heartbreak"
Old 30th December 2010
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Cody's Avatar
 

... and now I find out Menudo was manufactured! WTF!!! heh
Old 30th December 2010
  #42
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
he also got to bang the lead singer for a while

praise the Lord!
it is always useful to look at things objectively occasionally. Good point,
Old 30th December 2010
  #43
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyToby View Post
Different appeal. Westlife or nsync are in a different genre of pop music. They are/were "boybands"
I would classify Paramore as pop rock, like Coldplay, Kings Of Leon, Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox Twenty, R.E.M., Snow Patrol - Pleasing & emotional but not dangerous or gritty
They are EXACTLY like nSync or Westlife - just times change.
Old 30th December 2010
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Cody's Avatar
 

^^ and that's what I was getting at earlier... to Atlantic records, they are dollar signs. Same as any other artist I suppose, but instead of putting ads only in seventeen magazine, they can also plaster them on the cover of Alternative Press. More revenue streams when you can catch the teen pop twilight kids AND the emo teenagers who haven't caught onto the good sh*t like Jawbreaker... haha.
Old 30th December 2010
  #45
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomixer View Post
This thread is really out of control, and please don't think this kind of stuff doesn't happen in every band's break up, especially when they make it overnight. No one is ever quite ready for stardom, especially when you are 15 and 16. This band were home schooled in a van.
I cannot speak for the other records as I was not there, but the way I remember the one I made, was a band in every sense of the word.

We had pre-pro, we rehearsed, we recorded together and everyone other than the Bass Player played, wrote and sang everything. To me this disagreement is all about business and ownership, not necessarily the music. I have no dog in this race, the band had great success worldwide, and that was not an accident.
Most breakups are like a divorce and that is never pretty. I feel bad for both parties in this instance and hope they both succeed at whatever they do. Unfortunately the next few years will be spent catching up on all the teenage years they spent on the road. Growing up is hard enough.
Very well saidthumbsup
Old 30th December 2010
  #46
Lives for gear
 
TobyToby's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
They are EXACTLY like nSync or Westlife - just times change.
Not IMO - Probably Tokio Hotel would be the right example of the 'rock band' version of nSync or Westlife - just time change.
The songwriter and producer/manager team from Hamburg (and Berlin) set the songs and made the developement. It worked out well in combination with the the sexual undecided* image of Bill Kaulitz -who is btw a more smart person than most people I've met

* (which is not "frightening" male'ish for young teen girls)

. . to be continued lol
Old 30th December 2010
  #47
Lives for gear
 
satellitedog's Avatar
I thought Paramore was the same as Tokyo Hotel, the same super-fine-tuned borefest, without the hairdo.
There aren't many ideas worse than sanitized MOR pop-rock by white kids. Maybe starting a world war...
Old 30th December 2010
  #48
Lives for gear
 
TobyToby's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedog View Post
I thought Paramore was the same as Tokyo Hotel, the same super-fine-tuned borefest, without the hairdo.
There aren't many ideas worse than sanitized MOR pop-rock by white kids. Maybe starting a world war...
Probably Paramore like what they write (Till the point the Farro brothers got a religious problem with the later lyrics, well)

You call it sanitized, I call it pleasing, harmless, emotional and authentic for what they are
Fortunately not every teenager likes ghetto/gangster/pimp tunes (with the exception of those who are going on holidays from the middle class when listening to those tracks) Maybe many teenager are not fans of those 'tunes' because they do not reflect their social environment, status of education and values in life.
Old 30th December 2010
  #49
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
Not surprising. Haley Williams sounds like a c*nt.
A **** of the worst variety, using people to step up to fame, would probably stab them if she though it would help Paramore's music chart better.

The bit of respect I had for her I just lost reading the real statement.
Old 30th December 2010
  #50
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Mershi Duween View Post
Yup! Just like an ugly plastic tacky trinket from Walmart... just like that vile tasteless grey "burger" from McDonalds... the bland vanilla pop "music" of Paramore is as prefabricated as they come.

Are you really so gullible that you thought that fake **** was real and not just the creation of middle age producers and buttloads of marketing and hype?

Unless you're the average uncool teenage girl or some sad emo-boy (really also just a teenage girl), you should have known better.

But don't worry, you'll grow out of it...

And Moron5? Really... really?
You are absolutely and completely right! could not have said it better myself..thumbsup
Old 30th December 2010
  #51
Lives for gear
 

Not that I can stand Paramore, but...

I heard that the Philadelphia orchestra is actually not a group of guys who "naturally" gathered in Charles Dutoit's garage back in high school. Screw that corporate bull****!

Who the hell cares if a band is "manufactured"?
Old 30th December 2010
  #52
Lives for gear
 

I'm not sure why anyone cares.
Old 30th December 2010
  #53
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyToby View Post
Paramore is not a created product made by a producer who casted the band members and let them sing already written songs chosen from various song writers. Avril Lavigne would fit better in this category
And again, what's wrong with that? What about amazingly talented song writers who can't sing worth a damn? Too bad, the world never gets to hear their stuff because it would be manufactured if somebody else sang it.

What about people with voices like an angel but no writing ability? They either have to sing the horrible songs they can write, or not sing at all. It would be fake corporate greed if they sang a great song.

Seriously. I don't understand this whole "manufactured" thing. Can you think of any other endeavor that only "counts" if 5 people who knew each other growing up do the entire thing on their own?
Old 30th December 2010
  #54
I just clicked on the provided link.
Starting to read... Don't know why, but I get interested as the narration
seems to come from some place near the heart of the blogger.

At the end of the article I felt a little sad, so I jumped to the
official paramore site and ordered a pair of fingerless colored gloves!

OK. Stop kidding... When the guy describes the tour and the
omnipresent vocalist's dad, that the exact point where I went sad.
Old 31st December 2010
  #55
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheebs Goat View Post
Not that I can stand Paramore, but...

I heard that the Philadelphia orchestra is actually not a group of guys who "naturally" gathered in Charles Dutoit's garage back in high school. Screw that corporate bull****!

Who the hell cares if a band is "manufactured"?

..... when the band claims otherwise. I actually think the ex-memberds are wieners.... fek em all!!
Old 31st December 2010
  #56
Lives for gear
 
TobyToby's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheebs Goat View Post
And again, what's wrong with that?
Only you know why you're asking me this question. Have a said that this (manufactured) is wrong? It's just not the case with Paramore by my definition of 'manufactured'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheebs Goat View Post
What about amazingly talented song writers who can't sing worth a damn? Too bad, the world never gets to hear their stuff because it would be manufactured if somebody else sang it.
What about people with voices like an angel but no writing ability? They either have to sing the horrible songs they can write, or not sing at all. It would be fake corporate greed if they sang a great song.
You got that wrong. (Amazingly talented) songwriters writing songs for others which is fine and required for the reasons you have mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheebs Goat View Post
Seriously. I don't understand this whole "manufactured" thing. Can you think of any other endeavor that only "counts" if 5 people who knew each other growing up do the entire thing on their own?
As I said before, bands come together in different ways . . and so they split up -like Paramore, a real band. Nothing wrong with it

In short, "Manufactured" means to me that someone has a concept for an act/band in all details -a whole development of the "unique" selling propositions for a teen target market etc.- before the act/band even exists. Producer or future management do a casting to find the actors for the group. For example a sunnyboy, the cool one, the clown, the shy one . . like the bunch in a teen flick. These guys have to learn the dance steps from a dance teacher, have to sing the songs from song writers and have to answer questions with the words from the management. You find this concept in boygroups as well as in band style groups and single artists

In the end every band or artist, from Sonic Youth to Katatonia or Britney Spears, follows the same marketing/communication rules only in different garments and on different places.
Old 31st December 2010
  #57
Lives for gear
 
MikeTSH's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
My songs are vastly superior and I've no doubt they will sell in boatloads. Or maybe you think songs only become great songs after they've sold in boatloads?
It's funny because you totally misinterpreted what I said. You moan about Paramore's songwriting which I love and clearly there's something in it because it consistently sells well. I've yet to even hear your music, which no doubt is good, but you can't dash a band's songwriting when there's is getting heard and yours isn't. Shouldn't be too mad though, I heard Paramore speak very highly of you...
Old 5th January 2011
  #58
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
This bit of the blog did amuse me:

For example, “the truth never set me free”, which contradicts what the Bible says in John 8:32 (“and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall sat you free”). We fought her about how her lyrics misrepresented our band and what we stood for.

Rock on Hayley!
Wow she's a rebel that one. She probably wrote it from a different perspective cause Paramore is not only one of the biggest bands on rock/pop radio but also one of the biggest on Christian radio and that's a large demographic that HAS to buy music (thou shalt not steal) but its a fine balance, don't get too excited over her little temper tantrum, I'm sure she stands for very little. Here's hoping we hear from those Farro guys soon, those guys are great musicians.
Old 5th January 2011
  #59
Gear Nut
 
dan_zero's Avatar
 

I was kinda shocked when i first heard this but im pretty happy with the break up...

just putting it out there, i am a pretty big paramore fan, i think they nail modern poprock, i like the song writing, i LOVE the production, and ive always found the drum / guitar parts well constructed and interesting.

obviously paramore has alwasy been focused on Hayley, but for me it has always been about the Farro brothers. In the same way that Zep has always been about Page/Bonham to me... just the well constructed poprock elements put together really gets me into the music.

So, i am hoping that the Farro boys continue making music, and release something new under their own name!

I think Paramore peaked with RIOT! and then from that point on it just became 100% about radio friendly.

no doubt hayley can sing and front a band, but she isnt the reason i listen to Paramore.

And i think it's great that the Farro boys have the guts to quit a band at it's peak for their own personal / moral reasons. i think it shows great character and that they arent just in it for the easy street.

Paramore were in town a few months back and i saw their show, i thought it was absolutely fantastic. very weirdly, i was playing a gig the night before and the farro brothers + taylor york + half of the support act (switchfoot?) rocked up to my gig! quite surreal seeing an arena rock band watching you play at a local hole... weird watching zak watching me drum. definitely played more over the top then needed...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
I.R.Baboon / Mastering forum
3
jlsgear / So much gear, so little time
15
TAXS / So much gear, so little time
8

Forum Jump
Forum Jump