The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does anybody else refuse to spend money on music that is in the MP3 format? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Does anybody else refuse to spend money on music that is in the MP3 format?

Here is some curiousity...

Does anybody else refuse to spend money on music in the MP3 format? I wonder about this all the time because I personally REFUSE to use music programs like Itunes to buy mp3 tracks. What I mean is this...

First off, I'm not saying I refuse to pay for mp3's because I instead steal them using file sharing programs and bitTorrent programs. I don't. What I'm saying is that I think it is insane to pay as much as you would on a new cd for an album's worth of mp3's. I say this because I don't understand how people can spend as much on mp3's as on a cd when the mp3's you're getting are compressed music where information is lost. And even worse, while I don't know what quality Itunes now sells their mp3's at, they were for years, and might still be, adding further offense by selling low quality mp3's at a 128 bitrate rather than at a high bitrate like 320kbs. And as for the experts that claim when compressing a song into an mp3 only the audio in the frequencies the human ear can't hear are gotten rid of and that there is no difference between an mp3 and a full quality track, I say that's nonsense. I really believe I can hear the difference between an mp3 versus a full quality track when they're compared.

So yeah, I choose to buy cds rather than mp3 tracks. Does anybody share my view or am I insane and a bit obsessive compulsive? I figured this was a great place to ask this question when hour after hour on gearslutz people are talking about getting and using gear to get the best possible sound quality. And to take that even farther, people here are now recording music at a better quality than ever before with bit depths growing from 16 bits to 24 bits, sampling rates growing from 44.1Khz to 192Khz, and people using stuff like Pro Tools HD and such. And one last point to make, television has gone from crappy black and white picture quality to stunning HD resolution with stunning colors while cd's have regressed from the advancement to SACD's to mp3's.

So yeah, with all you audiophiles out there, do any of you also refuse to spend money (about the same as you would spend on a full quality cd) on the compressed music known as mp3's? Do any of you say there IS an audible difference between full quality cd's and mp3's? Do any of you think it is ridiculous for programs like Itunes to sell mp3's at a price equal to what full quality tracks on a cd cost? Shouldn't they cost less? And truly how sad is it that with the great advancement of music recording that the masses turn to mp3's out of convenience and it doesn't bother them at all that they're not listening to full quality music? Or again am I insane?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
I'm with you. I'll buy mp3's of stuff for my kids, like The Wiggles, or music I need to listen to just for a stylistic reference. If it's something I'm really excited to listen to, I'll buy the CD.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I don't know if I refuse to buy MP3s.. but yeah.. I've never actually bought an MP3.. and I still go to CD stores so
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I buy CD's when I want to support the artist, or when I want a mix reference. I buy mp3's when I need to learn a song for a gig, although usually I can find them on YouTube. One thing to consider - buying mp3's reduces the environmental impact of manufacturing and shipping CD's, so in that sense, it's a good way to go. There are also songs you won't find on CD but you will find in the mp3 format, so if you want to support those artists, mp3 is your only choice.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I share the same view as you Gatsby, I never bought any MP3 songs...

You can read more about my view on this topic out here on this thread:

Today I Ended My Spotify Premium Subscription

For me music is like gold, it must be kept in its pure form in order to hold its unique properties. At this point I'm mostly focusing on Hamasaki 22.2.

AES E-Library: The 22.2 Multichannel Sound System and Its Application

22.2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Multi-channel technology combined with the specific positioning of the speakers acoustically transport listeners to the very site of the sound event – to a virtual space – and enables them to experience its spatial dimensions in virtual mode.
The width, depth, and height of this space are for the first time perceived both physically and emotionally."

"Live-relay of Super Hi-Vision
Live-relay optical transmission experiment of Super Hi-Vision succeeded in 2 November (2005). It was the first experiment in the world. The transmission was between Kamogawa of Chiba prefecture and NHK Science & Technical Research Laboratories. Kamogawa is famous for Kamogawa Sea World aquarium and about 260 km away from NHK Labs.
The most important point of this experiment is long-haul optical transmission of uncompressed video and audio signals by using DWDM( Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing ) technique."

http://www.nhk.or.jp/digital/en/supe...ion/index.html

"On September 29, 2010, The BBC and NHK partnered up and recorded The Charlatans live in the UK in the UHDTV format, before broadcasting over the internet to Japan.[10]

Although UHDTV has increased resolution compared with existing HD standards, it uses the same number of frames per second (50 or 60 Hz, whereas modern cinema films are usually 24 Hz).

The ultimate goal is for UHDTV to be available in domestic homes, though the timeframe for this happening varies between 2016 to 2020 (mainly based on supported technical reasons concerning storage and broadcast distribution of content)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_H...ion_Television

Aurophonie (the world is listening 3D) - AUROPHONIE
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I think you guys are on glue. The 256 KBPS mp4 files I've bought on iTunes are such that:

1) They sound superb when the original recording was well made.
2) The sound bad when the original recording was badly made.

The best mp3's sound much better than my best work in WAV format. If your work is good, it will sound just fine as a high bit rate mp3.

John Caldwell
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have never willingly purchased music in MP3 format for my personal listening library, and I see no reason for that to ever change.

I have on extremely rare occasions -- probably fewer times than you can count on one hand -- purchased music in MP3 format because I needed to hear a specific piece for a specific reason -- either to learn a tune for a cover band gig that night, or because a client said "we want to cop the same feel as (insert name of tune available on iTunes)"
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by john caldwell View Post
I think you guys are on glue. The 256 KBPS mp4 files I've bought on iTunes are such that:

1) They sound superb when the original recording was well made.
2) The sound bad when the original recording was badly made.

The best mp3's sound much better than my best work in WAV format. If your work is good, it will sound just fine as a high bit rate mp3.

John Caldwell
I agree.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebay007 View Post
I agree.
I mostly agree... I prefer to buy CDs, simply because it's much more intrinsically satisfying to have a physical product, and the artistry that goes along with it (artwork, photos, liner notes, etc.), but not hugely for the sonic superiority. If I just want sole tracks, I find nothing "inferior" with picking up an mp3/4. I've haven't recently noticed any objectionable sonic detriment. Sound good to me, and my ears are pretty sensitive to differences.

However, similar to how vinyl was often inconsistent, mp3s can vary as well. There has been a fairly big improvement in mp3s over the past few years, though. So, find a good supplier and stick with it!

Anybody have a good retailer of mp3s where you can select which bit rate you can buy? I wish everyone did this. I've never used ITunes, so don't know if they do this!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've never bought an MP3 either, doubt i ever will.
Old 29th December 2010
After finding PowerAMP for my Droid I've been buying CDs and then ripping them to FLAC format. Sounds sooo good in the car. I think I bought maybe 3 mp3s over the last year, sometimes I do get the freebies they give.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

There are so many benefits of CD's, I haven't bought a MP3 in years and don't think I ever will again.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, I still buy CD's and LP's never bought or stole an MP3, don't have an Ipod and adore the smell of vinyl records...
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

old guy here. i like cd's and vinyl.

hell, i even buy cassettes...and i picked up the last cheap trick record on 8 track.

old. i am.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 29th December 2010
T1M
Gear Maniac

I spend my money on gear, not music.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Can't hear the difference between an mp3 and a wave file?
BIG PROBLEMO.
Old 29th December 2010
Deleted User #43636
I'll never buy a mp3 or any other lossy format. I buy CDs.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I do buy my CD's mostly online though, as there are only 2 record stores left in my town with there target set to the mainstream audience and ridiculously overpriced... as example a new album set online at 11 to 15 Euro, shops ask around 22 to 28 Euro. After all I'm in Belgium it's not really advised to buy anything else than reasonable priced fries with mayonnaise and beer here... on all the rest we get ripped off by our genormous tax/VAT system here... (though what did I say... even a beer has become expensive)

Also a lot of artists sell directly to there fan-base these day's, there record don't even hit a store anymore...

Cheers
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

When buying an album I will always buy the CD. I think that I've purchased two albums on iTunes...one was an iTunes-exclusive live album and the other was an import I didn't quite feel like forking out $22 for. Having said that, I'll happily spend a buck or two on a single track or two rather than spend $10-$15 on a CD I only want one or two tracks from.

As far as quality is concerned I'm fully aware that there's a difference, and when I'm going to sit down and listen I'll always put in a CD, but for things like listening in the car or even background music while I'm doing something else I'm happy to give up a small amount of fidelity (and I agree that the format Apple is using now is very good...and that makes the title of this thread a little misleading since they don't use the MP3 format) for the sake of convenience. I don't at all miss changing CDs in my car.
Old 29th December 2010
Buying CDs form Amazon is cheaper than buying files form iTunes, the quality is better (of course), I can read the credits, and I don't have to be worried about iTunes auth.

Cheers
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

Old guy here. I've never bought an mp3. Just seems to 'disposable' to be worth the expense, no matter how small. Maybe that's also why teenagers and young people download them illegally. They recognize that some essential part of the value just isn't there.

I buy tons of CDs off of eBay. You can get whole collections of an artist's entire career for less than $20. And then you have the CD, and it can't be accidentally deleted, and then you get liner notes and a couple of pictures. If I want an mp3, I rip it from the CD. Sure, none of this is anywhere near as fun as LPs used to be. But in many ways I think that the whole world is cheating themselves out of a lot of great fun they could otherwise have.
Old 29th December 2010
Well, what about this idea-- make CDs a full twelve inches across? Sure, the actual music would still be encoded into the 80 minutes on the inner 4 1/2 inches, but then that would bring back the giant cardboard album sleeves and grandiose artwork. You would need a whole new generation of CD players to fit them into... but hey, no pain no gain.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
I spend my money on gear, not music.
i believe this is becoming more and more common.

eventually everyone will have their own studio, their own label, their own record store...and be their own customer.

talk about hyperfocused marketing. all you gotta do is make music that you would buy...from yourself.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I much prefer mp3s and find it much more convenient and cheaper. I do collect scores which is sort of a hardcopy of the music but as far as the recording, a high quality mp3 is good enough. I'm also quite careless and they always get scratched. IN fact I scan all my scores if I want to make notes. I really like everything digital. Anything that isn't will get mangled very quickly.

I actually took out my CD drives in both my mac pros. When people give me cd , I wonder what the hell I am going to do with this ?

An a similar topic, for me sound quality for many things isn't that important really. Some of my favourite recordings are from the 40-60, recorded with one microphone with awful hiss. I do appreciate a nice recording but it isn't a necessity. For modern music, since I suppose the only thing that has changed in music is production , then I expect the recording and production to be rather good.
Old 29th December 2010
I buy vinyl and use the enclosed download codes to throw the high-quality MP3s onto my iPod. If I have a vinyl, but no MP3 for the iPod, then I hit iTunes and buy it.

MP3s aren't perfect, but they're a lot easier to carry around than a pile of records or CDs.

I consider the MP3 the "cassette" of our day; the iPod is just a higher-capacity mix-tape.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
i believe this is becoming more and more common.

eventually everyone will have their own studio, their own label, their own record store...and be their own customer.

talk about hyperfocused marketing. all you gotta do is make music that you would buy...from yourself.

best,

jchristopherhughes
FUNNY ! heh
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

I don’t buy CDs or mp3s, but I be gettin' my music regardless... So sue me!

-------------------------------------------

Lol, kidding. As a collector I still go after the physical medium and though I doubt I would ever buy an mp3 let alone a full albums worth, for my own convenience I do rip my CDs into 320k mp3s to listen on my Cowon D2, as incidentally I find the iPod sounds lifeless in comparison. I personally cannot tell the difference between a well encoded 320k mp3 and its .wav equivalent; however I can between a 128k mp3 and its .wav… BUT this also greatly depends on the system that is playing back the file. For example, with that D2 I have an expensive pair of Ultimate Ears in-ear headphones and these phones are of the quality that they will expose any weaknesses of an mp3 even at 320k, whereas that same mp3 would probably sound relatively fine though an iPod and cheap ear buds. And I agree that iTunes selling 128k mp3s was just plain fu*ked.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

mp3 is for sharing, CD quality is for buying imo
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Apparatus View Post
for my own convenience I do rip my CDs into 320k mp3s to listen on my Cowon D2,

I rip my CDs in 256kbps .ogg onto my computer for listening. Would go lossless but don't have the hard drive space.

Would never ever EVER choose mp3 over .ogg imo

Also, foobar 2000 is the nuts.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

No cash for MP3s. No way. High-bit AAC at minimum, preferably Apple Lossless.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search