The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does anybody else refuse to spend money on music that is in the MP3 format? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

meh, FLAC is where it's at imo
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

I would never download a mp3 file even if it were free, besides today music has nothing worth downloading.
I normally buy used CDs at the Jockey lot from the past.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
wouldn't pay for it or even use it if it was free
Old 3rd January 2011
If the songs aren't worth a proper presentation and then it's not worth paying for. I own around 500 CD's. I buy new ones, old ones, reissues, deluxe versions, hell I have "greatest hits" collections just for the one unreleased song. Some releases I have the various country specific editions of. I will pay top dollar for cd's and I've never complained about the price or some of the blunder discs that are mostly crap but I am not paying for files. Never. Feels like I have nothing to show for my money, doesn't sound as good and it doesn't do it for me. It's like replacing a library with a kindle. Nothings really wrong about it, just something horribly uncomfortable.
Old 3rd January 2011
CKK
Lives for gear

I have found that I spend waaaayyy more money on music now than 10 years ago - mainly because of Itunes and the ease.

Can I hear a difference between a CD and an mp4? Sure I can, the same way that I can hear a difference between a fresh cut of vinyl vs a record I have been playing for a handfull of times - especially when played back to back.

What is most important here is - you might hear the difference, but does your wife, children and all the people that are not "trained" to listen to music the same way we are? I doubt it.

I still own one of the very first CD players comming out (Phillips), and I can tell you that even though I was blown away by the sound quality at that time - the DA in that thing are so "bad" that a modern day mp3/4 played through build in soundcards, blows it out of the water by todays standards. Not to talk about the "bad" AD that the music was digitaly encoded through prior to the print at the CD factory at that time.

As always YMMV.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I won't buy anything I can't resell.
Old 3rd January 2011
I have never bought an MP3. I doubt I ever will. I am too much of an audiophile. I still buy CDs and vinyl.

Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

The reason I have never bought, and will never buy, an mp3:

CDs cost the same or cheaper.
Once the CD is in your possession, you can quickly and easily make an mp3 in the quality of your choosing. When the hard drive dies in 7 years, the CD is still there.

You get both for the same or less money. How could you choose otherwise?
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I never buy mp3s.
CD->wave/flac->dedicated HDDs
= fast access, the CD stays in perfect condition, I still have the real thing and can read credits, etc.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKK View Post
What is most important here is - you might hear the difference, but does your wife, children and all the people that are not "trained" to listen to music the same way we are? I doubt it.
Yes, this is an important question. In December 2009 here in London there was a meeting of AES with a special guest George Massenburg. He, obviously, as a a 192/24 guy attacked "the evil format" (he didn't use those words). And yes, although to me the whole thing was a bit idealistic, I have to say that there was a point in his speech and that we ALL have to think about it.

In my opinion there are a few things to consider...

If we play music encoded in "the evil format", say, on my girlfriend's laptop, through hers crappy little speakers, than well, I am sure that even for me the difference won't be huge. This however doesn't mean that we should accept this. Think about this:
If people are used to listen only to mp3 than they will think that this is it.
But let me ask you guys, has anyone of you ever drunk a real milk? And mean the real thing that you get strait after the animal has been milked? Is it different from the watery stuff we buy in supermarkets nowadays?
Well, for someone who has always drunk that thing in the plastic bottle it is fine. For me not.

Being idealistic? Maybe, but my point is that we are the one that should educate at least our friends and customers. For me it works. All my friends buy CDs after I taught them how to make their own mp3s.

The second thing that comes to my mind is that, yes, mp3 is smaller (and hence convinient) and that is the whole point of it. But if I remember well when mp3 first came out the HDD inside my computer was not more than 540mb!!! Now is 2TB.
Internet connections are getting faster and HDDs are getting bigger. If one really wants to store wave/flac/etc. he has no more excuses. An external 2TB HDD costs less than 100£ and the download time is not longer an issue.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

The problem with buying mp3s is you do not know the quality of the mp3 encoder. There are good encoders and bad encoders. Buy an mp3 from a bad encoder and the chances are good that the audio artifacts are negative.

I buy CDs, rip 'em, build mp3s through Lame, burn the mp3s to CD for my car, and put the CDs back on my shelf. The originals are my backups and almost never come out.
Old 5th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
I buy CDs, rip 'em, build mp3s through Lame, burn the mp3s to CD for my car, and put the CDs back on my shelf. The originals are my backups and almost never come out.
Why would you burn your listening CDs from MP3s when you could rip CD quality files?

Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

I only buy vinyl & CDs, then convert them to mp3s at 320kbps for my Sony Walkman.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Why would you burn your listening CDs from MP3s when you could rip CD quality files?

+1

Why not just rip to .wav?

I do the exact same thing with my CDs, but I rip in .wav
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post

No no no - I make mp3s from the CDs, then burn the mp3s to a CDR.

I can fit 10x the music on a CDR using mp3s, around 150 per CDR.

I shove that mp3 CDR in my car player, press random play, and it's like having my own radio station. It is sooooo liberating.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Head

I've never bought an mp3, I buy CDs, and yes I rip them, often compressed for iPod listening on the go. But for home listening, especially on decent monitors, I want to have the choice for listening uncompressed.
Old 7th January 2011

cds suck anything made past year 2000 has no dynamic range left and great music is harder an harder to find so i only buy 96k downloads sure an album cost 18 dollars and take 4 hrs to download but its well worth it total eargasm
Old 17th January 2011
Here for the gear

Loudness Wars and it's impact on MP3 quality....

Owing to the prevailance of the Loudness Wars, any over-produced CD's ripped to MP3 will be exceptionally poor acoustically due to the level of distortion and the limitations of the MP3 encoding algorithm. Have a go at ripping Slash's creatively entitled album "Slash" and see what you think.
Actually, come to think of it, any over-produced CD's aren't worth the money due to listening fatigue they cause!! I now use said album as an elaborate beverage coaster, at least this way it can't abuse my ears. I would have felt really miffed if the artist had been rewarded by my otherwise ignorant purchase - but i bought it second hand.
Tip: If you want to rip a hot CD to MP3 and minimise distortion, normalise it by a few dB first and give it some headroom
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

I dream (.... Dreamer, nothing but a dreamer, can you put your hands in your head oh ...... You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one ....) of the day when not only MP3 players/files are obsolete, but so are CD players. Imagine ( ... ) there's nothing below 24-bit files and players. Yep, we all (...Life is just a fantasy, can you live this fantasy life...) burn our 24-bit wav files from our DAW's right onto the blank DVD-A discs, and put 'em into our DVD-A players. ----- As for MP3 files, they are a ditherin' digititis distortion disaster. Settle for nothing less than 320kbps, if you absolutely have to go near them.
Old 17th January 2011
Gear Addict

+1 no money on mp3s at all
and i hate beatport that charges 2.65 euro!!! per track!!
10 tracks will cost over 20 euro !!!
Old 17th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Only ever bought an mp3 when amazon gave me a free voucher for their mp3 store. I buy cd's, I don't really understand the point of buying mp3's when cd's are nearly always the same price as the mp3 album, are in better quality and you actually get something physical with it and if you really want mp3's you can just rip them off the cd.
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Addict

i would NEVER pay for an MP3 in any way shape or form. give us wavs of give it free

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search