The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording Roland TD-7 in pro tools Audio Interfaces
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

Exclamation Recording Roland TD-7 in pro tools

Right now I am attempting to hook up a roland TD-7 electronic drum kit to my digi 003 rack+ and a digimax lt via audio and record. I'm not good with midi so until I learn how to use superior for replacement, I just want to record the preset sounds of the TD-7 brain(module) into PTLE 8 in order to get some quick demos down.
I have every pad hooked up to audio inputs. An audio track is set up for every pad, and I even get signal when record enabled. Yet, I can't hear the preset brain sounds when I attempt to record. All I get is little pops and clicks...really frustrating.
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Oh man... You're gonna have to break open the manual and follow the setup instructions.

The ports on the back of that brain are pad inputs, not audio outputs. The 1/4" cables from the pads are meant to go to the brain - they send signals (those pops and clicks you're hearing) which tell the brain which pad has been hit and how hard. The brain then interprets all these signals and either plays the appropriate internal sounds or transmits ALL those signals via one MIDI cable out of the port on the side of the brain, and actually it does both simultaneously. It's up to you to decide which to use.

If you want to record MIDI, connect a cable between the brain and ProTools and route it to your favorite drum plugin. It's VERY easy - give it a try.

Or for down and dirty, just use the stereo output of the TD7.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

Wow, that makes sense. Looks like I just bought 10 audio cables and a digimax lt that I don't need. Luckily, I have some midi cables and Superior. Thanks a lot.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search