The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Swooshy cymbals driving me INSANE!!!! Condenser Microphones
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Swooshy cymbals driving me INSANE!!!!

I'm using 3 "techinques" Glyn Johns, Rudy Van Gelder and Recorderman. All the measurements are correct for phase issues.

I want to use no more than 4 mics. I have an SM57 on the snare, a Behringer XM 8500 on the Kick and 2 AKG perception 100 large condensor's on the overheads.

The drum set sounds great with no EQ needed except the crash cymbals. They sound swooshy, not clean and even. You can hear the waves of the cymbal as it moves. I've tried angling them, putting them flat, hitting them soft etc, moving the mic's up and down....Is it the room or am I overlooking something?....
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

phase.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorisen View Post
I'm using 3 "techinques" Glyn Johns, Rudy Van Gelder and Recorderman. All the measurements are correct for phase issues.

I want to use no more than 4 mics. I have an SM57 on the snare, a Behringer XM 8500 on the Kick and 2 AKG perception 100 large condensor's on the overheads.

The drum set sounds great with no EQ needed except the crash cymbals. They sound swooshy, not clean and even. You can hear the waves of the cymbal as it moves. I've tried angling them, putting them flat, hitting them soft etc, moving the mic's up and down....Is it the room or am I overlooking something?....
Do they sound like that to you in the actual room when you play them? Have you tried different cymbals?

Sometimes microphones just pick up the truth of a thing in a way you hadn't noticed before.

- c
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

[Also, side note: I was unaware any of Van Gelder's techniques were documented. I thought he was a man of mystery.]

- c
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

AKG perception 100 ? COME ON MAN !!! nasty.
Old 28th December 2010
It could be phasing issues, and it could be very likely that the overhead mics are just too close to the cymbals. How close is the diaphragm of the mic to the top of the problem cymbal? Why is this in moan zone, it's a legit engineering technique question.
Old 28th December 2010
It could be phasing; also, from the drummer's perspective, don't hit the cymbals as hard as you would if you were performing on stage.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Assuming cymbals sound properly:

Check cymbals are not being picked from diferent sides with the OH mics.
Meaning when you hit them and they move, the mics are always picking the same side of the cymbal.

With those techniques, this seems specially possible in the R OH (drummer's perspective). Can you hear the efect in solo?? If you can only hear it listening to both OH, try looking for another spot, check again distances, etc.

Cheers!
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I get that when mics are placed are placed close to the edge of a cymbal. When the cymbal is hit, the up and down movement of the cymbal makes an oscillating sound as the sound picked up reflects the sound from under the cymbal to sound from the top.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Guru

It could be phase but it could also be coming off the ceiling. How is the room treated? How far is the mic from the ceiling?? Is the ceiling treated?? Do you have other walls that are close to the mic??
Old 6th January 2011
Yes, try moving the walls farther away from the mic and see if that helps.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
LMAO. That's your best one in a while Joel... heh
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Addict

too much motion in the cymbal when hit will cause the swoosh. it's kind of like standing near a door and hearing the incoming sound as its being opened and closed. tighten the nut.

g
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post

Ha. Very funny. Would it not be best to keep the walls moving whilst recording though? Surley this would elimate the build up of standing waves.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search