The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nyc is a complete disaster Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Nyc is a complete disaster

NYC has no money to pay the sanitation department to plow the streets after the monster blizzard, the streets have abandoned cars everywhere and no plows in sight for the 2nd day. Emergency units cannot respond to 911 calls because the streets are impossible to get through. Ambulances are stuck, and no plows, fire department trucks are working as towing trucks. This is embarrassing. And what nerve do the sanitation workers have to abandon their city in such a time? Where the F**k has all the money gone? into rich politicians pockets and iraq, and we tax payers get nothing. GO USA!!! Its complete chaos on the streets , people stuck in trains, in cars, no way to get to work, yet the news channels are keeping everything silent and jolly! talk about state controlled press. A shame for this city that i love, its going down the tubes.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Didn't hear about New York starting a war in Iraq. That must be expensive for NY to pull off. Also, the news is out about your snow !! I read about it a few times earlier today. Bummer. Move here to LA. Your problems with weather will be forever solved.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle
Didn't hear about New York starting a war in Iraq. That must be expensive for NY to pull off.
LOL yeah nice trying to sneak that one in there.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

That sucks...here in Brisbane, Australia it is currently 23ºC/73ºF...but boy has it rained. Oh well, we can't have perfection all the time. ; )
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I also ask myself what politicians can change on a hard winter?
And what all this has to do with the war in Iraq or anywhere else in the world.

Nature has its own rules.

I dont get the logic here if cars cant drive and there is no solution to this - accept it it is like it is.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Move here to LA. Your problems with weather will be forever solved.
Wildfires, mudslides, and earthquakes, however...
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
I also ask myself what politicians can change on a hard winter?
And what all this has to do with the war in Iraq or anywhere else in the world.

I dont get the logic here if cars cant drive and there is no solution to this - accept it it is like it is.
whats not to get, its absurd that a city like this, that is cramped more than any other, is not prepared to deal with stuff like this. That is has no funds to pay workers to clean the streets. 1400 emergency calls were made to 911, and most could not respond, i say this is bad.

Politicians like our Mayor who is a billionaire, says there is no budget, so let the city sleep, hahaha, meanwhile we pay almost the biggest taxes anywhere in the US. And iraq and other stupid wars where our funds go has alot to do with it in case youve been hiding out and not following what is happening.

PS i feel silly for posting this already, but man, it made my blood boil for a sec! you gotta understand in NYC we do not like to sit around, its a very active city and this is just absurd on every level
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

This storm just missed us, this time.

Last year we had 27" to deal with from our private road fund
and neighbor's tractors .

3 days before anyone could reach the main road.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

uh oh - politics on gearslutz!!

Why no money?

Search for info on NYC Medicaid problems, MTA corruption, and the big one - (drum roll) public union pensions and salaries...

It's definitely not a problem with the tax rates (as between federal, state, and city, it's quite near 50%... aka confiscatory!), although this doesn't excuse the miles of loopholes and dodges created by all the people in bed with politicians.

/end politicaldiscussionsongearslutz
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maks View Post
Where the F**k has all the money gone?
if you want a lesson in local politics/city government/city financial issues/budgets... watch all 5 seasons of "The Wire".

The Wire (TV Series 2002–2008) - IMDb

there are classes being taught in universities based on the series.

it's a good eye opener into how the cookie crumbles for city governments.

anyway - i hope your streets get plowed.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Crybaby!

I live here in NYC, and what a beautiful day to chill and have some hot chocolate after shoveling some snow! I'm originally from Minneapolis and this ain't nothin' my friend.
Belated Merry Xmas!

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
NYC has no money to pay the sanitation department to plow the streets after the monster blizzard, the streets have abandoned cars everywhere and no plows in sight for the 2nd day. Emergency units cannot respond to 911 calls because the streets are impossible to get through. Ambulances are stuck, and no plows, fire department trucks are working as towing trucks. This is embarrassing. And what nerve do the sanitation workers have to abandon their city in such a time? Where the F**k has all the money gone? into rich politicians pockets and iraq, and we tax payers get nothing. GO USA!!! Its complete chaos on the streets , people stuck in trains, in cars, no way to get to work, yet the news channels are keeping everything silent and jolly! talk about state controlled press. A shame for this city that i love, its going down the tubes.
So why don't you get a shovel and get to work?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

There is no funding issue for the NYC sanitation department. These crews are working 12 hour shifts and the plows themselves stop only for gas.

Everybody likes to project their own political fantasies onto these things, from the War in Iraq, to High Taxes, to "lazy union members".

The two main points to remember here are:
1. There is a lot of snow, and
2. NYC has a lot of streets - 6000 miles worth

Every snowstorm we hear the exact same gripes. Every one. Every mayor of every northern city has come under fire for snow plowing. If it were possible to magically clear all the snow the day after a blizzard, don't you think at least ONE mayor would have gotten it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES
But NO! I am inconvenienced by the weather. Surely someone is to blame.

Dinky little sidestreets are ALWAYS plowed last. Duh. Maybe next snowstorm you gripers can be in charge and you can plow 227th Street BEFORE you plow Northern Boulevard. They can get out, but then have nowhere to go! See how that affects your popularity. Crews may be overwhelmed, but in reality, more plows are out now than last winter.

Quote:
For the record, the city deployed 1,600 plows for a snowstorm that delivered 20.9 inches in February, as measured in Central Park. For this latest winter blast — which dropped 20 inches — 1,700 plows, plus 365 salt spreaders that were converted into plows, were working on the streets.
The biggest problem is the speed with which the snow fell - and with it, the larger numbers of abandoned cars. Every abandoned car needs to be plowed out and towed before the plows can move on. It takes forever.

If the morons who were told to stay home yesterday actually stayed home, they wouldn't have gotten stuck and probably their streets would be cleared by now. Who is really to blame for abandoned cars, other than their owners? Where is the much-vaunted sense of 'personal responsibility' of these selfish drivers?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Christ View Post
hahaha, i did that, thats how i got to the liquor store to refill heh
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
There is no funding issue for the NYC sanitation department. These crews are working 12 hour shifts and the plows themselves stop only for gas.

Everybody likes to project their own political fantasies onto these things, from the War in Iraq, to High Taxes, to lazy union members.

I am inconvenienced by the weather. Surely someone is to blame.

The two main points to remember here are:
1. There is a lot of snow, and
2. NYC has a lot of streets

Every snowstorm we hear the exact same gripes. Every one.

Dinky little sidestreets are ALWAYS plowed last. Duh. Maybe next snowstorm you can be in charge and you can plow 227th Street BEFORE you plow Northern Boulevard. See how that affects your popularity.

Crews may be overwhelmed, but in reality, more plows are out now than last winter.

The biggest problem is the speed with which the snow fell - and with it, the larger numbers of abandoned cars. Every abandoned car needs to be plowed out and towed before the plows can move on. It takes forever.

If the morons who were told to stay home yesterday actually stayed home, probably their streets would be cleared by now. In what way is the city government to blame for abandoned cars?
I spoke to Fire department crews earlier and they were pissed off that the sanitation dept isnt doing anything, and this is not about dinky side streets but major avenues in brooklyn, queens, etc, however our Mayor Gloomberg directed priorities towards areas in manhattan from 96th street to the financial areas, the rest got ziltch so far, 1700 plows? bull****! definitely agree though about some morons who should of stayed home
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Remain indoors unless you have to go out.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Get off your computer or iPhone and take a walk. Or better yet, I'm sure you can use a phone. The Lq's deliver, in fact everyone delivers in NYC!

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Christ View Post

The mayor of Philly did.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

There is money for cleanup. Have to remember holiday weekend and alot of vacations on sanitation. Staff is short. NYC is paying walk-ins $18/hr to help shovel snow. That's alot of $ for anyone to just walk in off the street.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

My parents still live in Brooklyn where I grew up and it's a disaster there.
Just like the others have said, abandoned cars etc.
Why don't these idiots stay home in a blizzard?

I live out east on Long Island where our $16k property taxes per year take care of "everything". I got about 18 inches but the drifts are much higher and that dammed snowplow keeps plowing in my driveway. Grrr. Still the service where I live has been excellent. Neighbors with tractors and front loaders have been helping those with less efficient means of moving mounds of snow.

The problem with NYC is that limp fish Bloomberg.
He loves to shift the blame to anyone and anything other than him.
The thought of that indecisive, follower and blame shifter possibly running for president is scary.

They should tie him to the New Years Eve Ball/Apple and pass out eggs to the crowd in Times Square.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
if you want a lesson in local politics/city government/city financial issues/budgets... watch all 5 seasons of "The Wire".

The Wire (TV Series 2002–2008) - IMDb

there are classes being taught in universities based on the series.

it's a good eye opener into how the cookie crumbles for city governments.

anyway - i hope your streets get plowed.
Or you could, ya know. Get involved in your actual local politics.

Head down to your local city/town/borough whatever meetings. I started doing that last summer and between me and a couple of concerned local citizens in this last 6 months we both saved 2 cops from getting cut from the budget ( its a very small understaffed force to begin with in a still crime affected area ) and got a totally mismanaged and poorly implemented parking authority disbanded and absorbed back into the local government ( where it will now be more accountable ).

to those who say you can't fight city hall, I say bull****. You just need more people behind you
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
whats not to get, its absurd that a city like this, that is cramped more than any other, is not prepared to deal with stuff like this. That is has no funds to pay workers to clean the streets. 1400 emergency calls were made to 911, and most could not respond, i say this is bad.

Politicians like our Mayor who is a billionaire, says there is no budget, so let the city sleep, hahaha, meanwhile we pay almost the biggest taxes anywhere in the US. And iraq and other stupid wars where our funds go has alot to do with it in case youve been hiding out and not following what is happening.

PS i feel silly for posting this already, but man, it made my blood boil for a sec! you gotta understand in NYC we do not like to sit around, its a very active city and this is just absurd on every level
You must not be from here . half the 70's and most the 80's we had mountains of trash for most the summers , do to the city fighting with the unions . Also there were not so many cops as the city was bankrupt . I've seen dudes wave guns on the F train . Stick up kids back in the 90's robbing you of your kicks and jewels too . Missing benches and street lights in central and Prospect park in the 80's 'cus peeps would steal the wood and wiring. The city was bankrupt and had no $ to replace them . You ain't seen nothing son , this is cake .

I miss the old ways and the old days , when Manhattan was fun and no body went to Willy B unless you took the wrong exit on the BQE . The hipsters have replaced empty streets who's main visible residents were hookers and heroin dealers . Ever seen a hooker on Bedford ? Don't think so ... Don't miss having a piece waved in my face . I'll take snow any old day .

Build a snowman , have a snow ball fight with your boys . Drink whisky from a flask while your wearing mittens . Turn that frown up and around heh .
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am stucked here in White Plains, but I can easily work from home,
thanks to modern technology.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

son? im 39 and 35 of my years have been in nyc son. I just had alot of stuff to complete and it looks like this fiasco is going to last a few days atleast, was enough to piss me off. whatever but i do like the snow
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
son? im 39 and 35 of my years have been in nyc son. I just had alot of stuff to complete and it looks like this fiasco is going to last a few days atleast, this was enough to piss me off. whatever but i do like the snow
Okay, lad, a little respect for your elders wouldn't kill you.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
There is money for cleanup. Have to remember holiday weekend and alot of vacations on sanitation. Staff is short. NYC is paying walk-ins $18/hr to help shovel snow. That's alot of $ for anyone to just walk in off the street.
Good point . Also , just like living anywhere else in the world with snow . Every couple decades your do a blizzard . Sh#t gets turned upside down every time no matter who's the mayor etc and then gets back to normal .
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid View Post
You must not be from here . half the 70's and most the 80's we had mountains of trash for most the summers , do to the city fighting with the unions . Also there were not so many cops as the city was bankrupt . I've seen dudes wave guns on the F train . Stick up kids back in the 90's robbing you of your kicks and jewels too . Missing benches and street lights in central and Prospect park in the 80's 'cus peeps would steal the wood and wiring. The city was bankrupt and had no $ to replace them . You ain't seen nothing son , this is cake .

I miss the old ways and the old days , when Manhattan was fun and no body went to Willy B unless you took the wrong exit on the BQE . The hipsters have replaced empty streets who's main visible residents were hookers and heroin dealers . Ever seen a hooker on Bedford ? Don't think so ... Don't miss having a piece waved in my face . I'll take snow any old day .

Build a snowman , have a snow ball fight with your boys . Drink whisky from a flask while your wearing mittens . Turn that frown up and around heh .
Hahahaha!
Remember the "Garbage Barge"!!!

As for WillyB, the cops were there to protect the johns,who were mostly hasidic Jews getting stuff their wife couldn't do.They weren't there to arrest the hookers. My cousin was a cop back then.

Guiliani cleaned up the city from all that crap.
I didn't agree with all he did, but you can't deny he made the place livable compared to what it was like in the 70's/80s.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

ok, everything is tidy folks , nothing is wrong, turn back to pre amps and daws, nothing to see here folks , nothing. nyc is a perfect place. this guy makes no sense.. keep moving folks
Old 28th December 2010
I dunno, I think that big cities are a sort of mental disease physically manifest anyway :-) This is just another hint as to that fact. We aren't genetically wired for that sort of crowding.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Hahahaha!
Remember the "Garbage Barge"!!!

As for WillyB, the cops were there to protect the johns,who were mostly hasidic Jews getting stuff their wife couldn't do.They weren't there to arrest the hookers. My cousin was a cop back then.

Guiliani cleaned up the city from all that crap.
I didn't agree with all he did, but you can't deny he made the place livable compared to what it was like in the 70's/80s.
yes sir , I do indeed remember . The mobro !

Agree that we are much better off without the crime . I just miss the artistic vibe of an era gone by is all I'm saying there . As an artist , I miss cheap rents to ! Guiliani's enforcement of the Cabaret laws killed a lot of good musical venues though . Can't when 'em all .

I lived in Bed Stuy a few years back just on the hasidic border . Any summer night I could look out my gated front bay window and see a hasid getting sucked #ff in the front seat of his car so the action just moved south is all . Saw a pretty vicious gang fight out that window . I watched 3 kids get knifed . One bled out pretty bad before NYC's finest showed up . So it's still a rowdy place , our city .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search