The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nyc is a complete disaster Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maks View Post
son? im 39 and 35 of my years have been in nyc son. I just had alot of stuff to complete and it looks like this fiasco is going to last a few days atleast, was enough to piss me off. whatever but i do like the snow
Yo , no beef with you at all . . I'm 35 . If we lived in Cali I'd call you dude . "Son" is part of our native nomenclature don't you think ? Just standard vernacular like "fella" or "chief" . Although I'll leave "chief" to the cabbies .

I'll tell you what , any time I'm down on NYC I just think of how the winter was after 9/11 . Worst winter in my life ever . That brings sh#t into prospective real quick for me . You know how we do it here , we will get through this . Also , man , a good snow ball fight or football game is dope ! I was def serious when I recommended that as a way of coping . Peace brother heh!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

You complain about being green and now less carbon eemissions is a problem.
Old 28th December 2010
T1M
Gear Maniac

Its just snow dude, get over it.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
Or you could, ya know. Get involved in your actual local politics.

Head down to your local city/town/borough whatever meetings. I started doing that last summer and between me and a couple of concerned local citizens in this last 6 months we both saved 2 cops from getting cut from the budget ( its a very small understaffed force to begin with in a still crime affected area ) and got a totally mismanaged and poorly implemented parking authority disbanded and absorbed back into the local government ( where it will now be more accountable ).

to those who say you can't fight city hall, I say bull****. You just need more people behind you
just saying it's a good view of how a big city works and the choices made and the politics etc involved.

getting involved is great of course. really the thing to do if you can. i say "go watch the wire" because you will see 10 different sides to every issue and all the back room dealings/compromises that you know are going on.
Old 28th December 2010
It will melt.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

if i was there i would just stay home and out of trouble.. cancel all plans.. you're no good to your employer if you are stranded on a train anyway..
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
2. NYC has a lot of streets - 6000 miles worth
BS......
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

This has never happened in NYC as long as I have been here. Salt and shovel trucks are always out before, during, and after the storm in my area. They haven't done jack sh*t still in my area and the storm has been over since 6am monday.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
NYC has no money to pay the sanitation department to plow the streets after the monster blizzard, the streets have abandoned cars everywhere and no plows in sight for the 2nd day.
I'm sorry to hear about that - I've been stranded by snow and it sucks - but how the hell does NYC not have money for sanitation??? I can understand not having the people and hardware to get everything cleared, but cash???

Isn't NYC where all the money comes from? How about temporary (emergency) rerouting of funds from some other department?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

all of a sudden people need civil servants? A garbageman (the people who plow your snow and pick up your garbage) make roughly 70k a year and retire after 20 years, regardless of age, with a full pension and lifetime medical. They laid off a bunch of these guys because NYC was somehow broke. Theres still plenty of money for medicaid for illegals and anyone else who wants to abuse the system. I suggest handing them shovels. Some of the guys in the trucks are demoted supervisors from the last round of layoffs, and they aren't all too happy about driving a truck again. I hate to say it, but NYC deserves every bit of misery it gets.
dfegad NYC.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego View Post
I hate to say it, but NYC deserves every bit of misery it gets. dfegad NYC.
Really? The majority of people who are suffering deserve it?

They only thing more consistent than your miserable comments is your flight path underneath reality.

Someone, quick, invent the next Every now and then you need something a little stronger.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
BS......
oops, my bad, looks like it's only 5946.18 miles!

Total Number of Street Miles (linear):

manhattan = 508.38
bronx = 771.34
queens = 2135.90
brooklyn = 1742.36
staten island = 788.20

total = 5946.18 miles

These totals are taken from the Fund for the City of New York reports on street conditions:

These are individual PDFs that break it down by district but if you search these documents for "borough information", you will find the totals for each borough.

http://www.fcny.org/cmgp/streets/pag...n_island00.pdf
http://www.fcny.org/cmgp/streets/pag...eport/DFBX.pdf
http://www.fcny.org/cmgp/streets/pag...eport/DFMN.pdf
http://www.fcny.org/cmgp/streets/pag...s/queens00.pdf
http://www.fcny.org/cmgp/streets/pag...eport/DFBK.pdf

these reports are from 2001, it is more than likely a few more miles have been added since then.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

From the NY Daily News:
"Obviously something went astray this time," Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz said. "Our side streets in every part of Brooklyn are frankly not touched. Many of our main streets haven't been plowed and salted."

By afternoon, the condemnation was mounting.

State Sen. Carl Kruger (D-Brooklyn) slammed the removal effort as a "colossal failure" that put "countless lives at risk."

He compared the blizzard to the 1969 storm that nearly destroyed the career of Mayor John Lindsay. Bloomberg may have had that kind of political fallout in mind as he hastily scheduled photo ops in Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens.

City Council Sanitation Committee Chairwoman Letitia James (D-Brooklyn) said she will hold hearings on the mess, saying, "It appears there are not enough men and women representing sanitation and ... EMS on the ground."

The sanit workers union blamed recent staff reductions, saying hiring freezes have cut crews by at least 400 workers since last year.

"I understand the money is tight, [but] there are some services you've got to be ready for," said Uniformed Sanitationmen's Association President Harry Nespoli.
Old 28th December 2010
I live in a small town in Ohio.

We have EXACTLY the same problems with snow removal. It is never fast enough and the plows seem to be non existent especially if there is a heavy snow fall. When they do plow the streets they leave about an inch of snow on them. The reason is that the streets are in such bad shape the plows would get damaged if the trucks put them all the way down. The city keeps on buying more and more equipment for street repairs but the streets never seem to get repaired. Our taxes keep going up but the city services seem to get worse not better.

I use to live in another city about 25 miles from here.The snow removal was GREAT and at the first sign of a snow storm brewing the city would put snow plows on anything bigger than a motorcycle and the streets were always clean and easy to navigate. That was 40+ years ago and I don't know how they handle things now.

The infrastructure of America is BAD and getting worse with every passing year. Bridges are really in bad need of repair all over Ohio but the legislators never seem to be able to come up with the money to repair them. The cities can come up with millions for a new sports stadium that is used 13 times a year but seem to run out of money for snow removal right after the first snow fall.

I have a hunch that it is going to get a lot worse now with the recession and Ohio being one of the rust belt states with no jobs and no money.

On an audio related topic I can work from my house and really don't have to go out unless I really want to.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

i hope some of you realize this is alittle more than just a little snow melting and more than my personal emotional tantrums of not getting work done. A thought of possibly that lady who was caught in an ambulance with a heart attack while the ambulance was stuck in snow cause roads were not plowed like they should have been is disturbing. Its also a consistent problem where our government purposely hides the disappearance of funds and plays a PR game while nothing gets done, and people like the sanitation dept who deserve to work and get paid dont which ofcourse creates a snowball effect of more problems. It also raises other big issues about our govt's attitude of criticizing other govt's and invading nations on how to do things yet we are incapable of creating a working/decent system without corruption/f**k ups for our own people.

Be the change you want to see in the world! or shut the f**k up until you can!

PS 3rd day, no plows insight, same deal
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
A thought of possibly that lady who was caught in an ambulance with a heart attack while the ambulance was stuck in snow cause roads were not plowed like they should have been is disturbing.
It's beyond disturbing, and it's actually happening, and more. Being stuck at home is an inconvenience for most but life threatening for some. But I guess they "deserve it." (certainly not my words)
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Oh say can you see, by the bomb's glistening light.
Old 28th December 2010
Quote:
i hope some of you realize this is a little more than just a little snow melting and more than my personal emotional tantrums of not getting work done. A thought of possibly that lady who was caught in an ambulance with a heart attack while the ambulance was stuck in snow cause roads were not plowed like they should have been is disturbing. Its also a consistent problem where our government purposely hides the disappearance of funds and plays a PR game while nothing gets done, and people like the sanitation dept who deserve to work and get paid dont which ofcourse creates a snowball effect of more problems. It also raises other big issues about our govt's attitude of criticizing other govt's and invading nations on how to do things yet we are incapable of creating a working/decent system without corruption/f**k ups for our own people.

Be the change you want to see in the world! or shut the f**k up until you can!

PS 3rd day, no plows insight, same deal
Not sure but one BIG problem is that a lot of people are out of work (This is happening all over the USA but I am sure it is probably worse in NYC) and are not paying taxes because they have NO income. A lot of real estate has been devalued so cities are not making any where near the money they did a couple of years ago off property taxes. Couple this with a downward turn in the economy and businesses that are sitting on billions of dollars but are afraid to spend any of it because they fear a double dip recession or they are unsure of what Washington is going to do. This means cities have to balance their budgets and the only way to do that is to cut back on the most costly item in the budget which is usually the people who work for the city.

The cost of running cities is going up (salaries and benefits) at the same time their incomes are going down from the loss of property taxes. It is a no win scenario and getting worse.

Look what is happening in Europe and Great Britain with the snow and they only have 6 inches. They are NOT equipped to handle the crisis and are getting the same type of criticisms you are making.

I did some work with disaster planning when I was in the Army. It is not an easy thing to do. The people doing the planning have to balance their resources with the cost of providing those resources and you have to plan for the middle ground and not for the extremes as they may never happen.

How many times will a blizzard dump 32 inches of snow on New Jersey in two days?

If you have all your ducks in order you should be able to work out the problems fairly quickly but it may take a couple of days to get everything setup and working well. People want immediate relief but considering the bureaucracy of most cities it is wonder they get anything done at all.

I hear you but I think you need to understand that it is not as simple as you would like to make it seem. If you were in charge and someone said "we have just cut your personnel budget by 20% but you still need to provide the same level of service" you would get somewhat pizzed and frankly it would be impossible for you to do what you are being asked to do but you have to do it anyway.

Hopefully we are going to get some warmer weather by the weekend so maybe that will help clear the streets.

Chill and enjoy the solitude...
Old 28th December 2010
And it's pretty likely, if any city spent at a level required every year to deal with every type of once in 25 or 50 or 100 or whatever years climactic situation, that tax payers would probably be screaming their heads off about waste, because it would require a lot of resources being consumed that will almost never be needed. Your options are to eat up a lot of resources year after year or take your chances that the once in a whatever scenario will be problematic and save some of those resources for the every year issues.

It's all a tradeoff that cannot be won really. No matter what is done, someone will get their head handed to them for doing it.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Not sure but one BIG problem is that a lot of people are out of work (This is happening all over the USA but I am sure it is probably worse in NYC) and are not paying taxes because they have NO income. A lot of real estate has been devalued so cities are not making any where near the money they did a couple of years ago off property taxes. Couple this with a downward turn in the economy and businesses that are sitting on billions of dollars but are afraid to spend any of it because they fear a double dip recession or they are unsure of what Washington is going to do. This means cities have to balance their budgets and the only way to do that is to cut back on the most costly item in the budget which is usually the people who work for the city.

The cost of running cities is going up (salaries and benefits) at the same time their incomes are going down from the loss of property taxes. It is a no win scenario and getting worse.

Look what is happening in Europe and Great Britain with the snow and they only have 6 inches. They are NOT equipped to handle the crisis and are getting the same type of criticisms you are making.

I did some work with disaster planning when I was in the Army. It is not an easy thing to do. The people doing the planning have to balance their resources with the cost of providing those resources and you have to plan for the middle ground and not for the extremes as they may never happen.

How many times will a blizzard dump 32 inches of snow on New Jersey in two days?

If you have all your ducks in order you should be able to work out the problems fairly quickly but it may take a couple of days to get everything setup and working well. People want immediate relief but considering the bureaucracy of most cities it is wonder they get anything done at all.

I hear you but I think you need to understand that it is not as simple as you would like to make it seem. If you were in charge and someone said "we have just cut your personnel budget by 20% but you still need to provide the same level of service" you would get somewhat pizzed and frankly it would be impossible for you to do what you are being asked to do but you have to do it anyway.

Hopefully we are going to get some warmer weather by the weekend so maybe that will help clear the streets.

Chill and enjoy the solitude...
I understand what you're saying, but it's not the case here in NYC. When they learn to efficiently use the revenue they generate, the services will improve. These arrogant bastards are spending tens of millions on city time, a payroll system. The MTA spends 27000 dollars on newspaper subscriptions because they can't be bothered to stop for a paper. And I'll say it again, to a city who does nothing but bitch and moan about what civil servants make: grab a shovel. They don't want to pay the overtime.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

wow, it's really getting weird when NC Triangle area has better snow management than NYC. THey start laying salt brine solution two days before a potential snow storm and the plows hit the roads immediately.
Old 29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

At least there are no zombies .
Old 29th December 2010
The plows in my town did the "widening" thing today, where they go back over and plow right to the edges of the treeline, and everyone was personally shoveling out around their mailboxes so the mailmen can drop off the mail from the comfort of their cars. Upstate has always been paradise, though.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

When it gets that bad, I just keep my ass at home. There is nothing on me or my truck that I can fix with a few day's pay.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
When it gets that bad, I just keep my ass at home. There is nothing on me or my truck that I can fix with a few day's pay.
amen, those guys upset about the roads should invest in a sidewinder.
Old 29th December 2010
One problem with a lot or what is happening in New York is because a lot of the people who are trying to drive is because they HAVE TO or risk losing their income or their jobs. They call their boss to tell them that they are stuck at home because of the snow. The boss says "if you don't make it in today you will not get paid and if you do not make it in tomorrow you will get fired". Not a lot of options. So the person gets into their car and tries to drive into the city. They get stuck in traffic or in a snow bank and now they are blocking traffic AND still not at work. Many jobs today can be done from home with a little pre planning and equipping. The problem is today most bosses don't want people working from home since they cannot have direct access to them AND they are never sure if the person is really working. Of course jobs that require human interaction like salesmen, clerks, waitresses and police and fire do have to be "on the job" to get their jobs done. Also for some reason it seems to be in our DNA to try and drive in the worst possible weather thinking all the time that "nothing will ever happen to me"

Maybe the city should have called a it a snow emergency (kinda like a big snow day from high school) and had people stay at home but of course that is always very iffy since it is up to the individual person to make the final decision.

Hopefully a lot of this will get cleared out soon.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

This story is prominent on the news channels here. I more I see regarding the attitudes involved with the city gov. the more I think they are sending the message 'no plows this time....get use to it'. New world response. People will remember and not expect too much the next time. I don't think they have the money to clear the streets. Personal opinion.

Regardless, the mayor really came off like a jerk.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid View Post
This is not really a problem. All you have to do is hook a wire around its legs and you can knock it down:
Attached Thumbnails
Nyc is a complete disaster-fallenatat.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search