The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Finally got better monitors...
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Finally got better monitors...

...which is a good thing - but now I've realised my entire album's mixes suck much harder than I assumed so I've gotta go back and re-mix everything ASAP on top of all the Uni work I've got coming my way. Fun.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Don´t do it.

Kill your darlings.

Make the sequel instead !!!

WT
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveterm View Post
Don´t do it.

Kill your darlings.

Make the sequel instead !!!

WT
Uhhhh... Wuht???
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Uhhhh... Wuht???
might be something like

"No, don't revisit things already marked as finished; perfectionism is a road to mental illness and perpetual disappointment.........you might end up destroying the things you already worked so hard on, if not objectively then probably for yourself...

...why not start the creative process again and begin a new artistic project which will be more productive and more enjoyable..."

but you know, I'm not the best at empathy so I could have missed the point completely
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

WT
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
might be something like

"No, don't revisit things already marked as finished; perfectionism is a road to mental illness and perpetual disappointment.........you might end up destroying the things you already worked so hard on, if not objectively then probably for yourself...

...why not start the creative process again and begin a new artistic project which will be more productive and more enjoyable..."

but you know, I'm not the best at empathy so I could have missed the point completely
No, I think you nailed it. I think he's wrong, but you got what he was trying to say.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

I think he's both wrong and right......and I've been wandering down the proverbial road for a while now........perfectionism and productivity don't enjoy each other's company much

when involved in seemingly endless tweaking, one begins to lose sight of the vision that inspired to begin with....
Old 27th December 2010
In Mike's case, he's not revisiting completed projects per se.

He cut an EP and is revisiting the mixes for the LP. Can't blame him for that at all.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yes, or something similar......hence the "I think he's wrong part"

heh
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah, probably should have clarified that. Don mastered my EP, and while they sounded fine on BX5a's for what they were, now I've got my new Adam monitors, I can definately here the mixes are bad. And I mean waaayy worse than I thought they were. So for the LP's release, because I want to get it mastered professionally, distributed, promoted through gigs and such etc and really try to get some attention, I want it to be the best product it can be.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Out of curiousity, what monitors did you have, and what did you get? Just curious
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTSH View Post
Don mastered my EP, and while they sounded fine on BX5a's for what they were, now I've got my new Adam monitors, I can definately here the mixes are bad.

A lot of famous recordings that sound great on regular playback systems can sound horrid on very revealing speakers.

Welcome to the world of brutal truth!

It takes a lot of time and effort to get a mix to translate. Sometimes a mix that sounds awesome on amazing and expensive studio monitors sounds like ass on a majority of consumer systems. This is one of the confounding mysteries of recording.

You really need to be familiar with your monitors to really know what your mixes will sound like on a variety of speakers. That takes time and practice.

And a reference baseline!

Know thy monitors! Listen to everything that you can. Listen to a professional recording that you love with a "sound" that you aspire to achieve. Then try to match it's sonics. You will fail, but you will learn...

heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search