The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
facebook creeps
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

facebook creeps

Anyone else weirded out when there's ads on your facebook page telling you to swap out the capsule in your cheap condenser mic? I know the ads are targeted at me based on what I type, but damn. I like keeping my nerdy stuff on the slutz page and my social life on f book.

Crreeep

Neil
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Yeah that freaks me out too!! Big Brother ****...can't stand it.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I get the same stuff. As a way of marketing it's really cool but doesn't work as well as you'd think.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

There's a Firefox addon that'll hide the ads in FB.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
There's a Firefox addon that'll hide the ads in FB.
That only stops you from being creeped out by the ads they create using your information.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

uhm. don't use facebook ?

they only use....

what you give them.

(read that last line twice...)

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hricco View Post
Yeah that freaks me out too!! Big Brother ****...can't stand it.
Then your best option is to stay off the internet.
Seriously, not meaning to offend.
As long as the technology is available, it WILL be used. And with human nature being what it is, some of the uses of technology will be immoral and/or illegal.
One doesn't have to like these facts, but ignoring them is even more harmful.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

What is even creepier is how FB "follows" you around. I am reading an article in an online newspaper and there is a little photo on the right of one of my FB friends with the message that he "likes" this. I am given the opportunity to "like" this as well even though I am Not even ON Facebook !
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
What is even creepier is how FB "follows" you around. I am reading an article in an online newspaper and there is a little photo on the right of one of my FB friends with the message that he "likes" this. I am given the opportunity to "like" this as well even though I am Not even ON Facebook !
Yeah. You must still be logged into Facebook after you leave the site. I usually make a point to log out. I'm always afraid I'll be looking up something and it will somehow get posted on my wall, even though I keep my wall set to private. I also don't put any information on my profile regarding my interests and activities. I keep all of that blank. My friends would probably already know that stuff anyway, or wouldn't care enough to need to see it on there.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I've started deliberately posting mis-information to confuse them. I recently atteneded one of the top universities in the country as well as a young offenders unit.
Old 22nd December 2010
Deleted User
Don't you get the same with your Gmail accounts?

Anyone using googlemail that is ofcourse...
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post

they only use....

what you give them.

(read that last line twice...)

best,

jchristopherhughes

jchristopherhughes
jchristopherhughes

I dont get it.....
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

I hate FB.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Thinking about clicking the "like" button on this thread... just to be ironic
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibiu View Post
jchristopherhughes
jchristopherhughes

I dont get it.....

the "last" line i was referring to was "they only use...what you give them"

i believe my name has to be repeated thrice for anything to happen.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 25th December 2010
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

It's bad enough that I'm already under surveillance by various government agencies, now I gotta worry about Facebook?

Google already has enough secret "intelligence" to put us all away. heh

That's why I'm on a campaign to spread disinformation about myself using subterfuge and other cunning stratagem.

Now I gotta ditch this computer, close down my secret Bulgarian proxy ISP and get to my safe deposit box (which contains fake passports, disguises, various country's currencies, a Walther PPK 9mm and a cyanide pill heh).

I'm in...

I'm going dark...

Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
i've started deliberately posting mis-information to confuse them. I recently atteneded one of the top universities in the country as well as a young offenders unit.
hahahahahahahahahaha
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
That's my solution.

Whether it's truly being implemented now or not, it would be a snap for the gov't to start profiling FB members. All under the Patriot Act, right? Or as a yet-to-be-written regulation stemming from the latest attempt to regulate the internet. Yeah, I'm crazy... So are you -- I have all the evidence from your FB history to prove it.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I do not use Facebook. But I noticed that few of my friends who do, became unreachable by normal email. Even when I reply to their email I get: MAIL-DEMON message: this message cannot be delivered.....
Makes me wonder if facebook is doing something to their email accounts or computers.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Their are a lot of Firefox plugins you can install that block analytics and other tracking stuff.
Never had any problems with targeted ads since i installed these plugins.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by faramita View Post
I do not use Facebook. But I noticed that few of my friends who do, became unreachable by normal email. Even when I reply to their email I get: MAIL-DEMON message: this message cannot be delivered.....
Ya-hoo mail has been known to divert or block email between parties, especially if politically charged. Happened to a relative of mine and he busted them in the act.

It's also possible that they changed addresses. Call them -- they're your friends after all. Don't let their will to become virtual spread to you.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Also, about FB in general, it has changed the work climate entirely. If I could quantify the loss in productivity at our place alone I'd guess 20%, and we're nowhere near the most affected.

It shouldn't be allowed on the company's coin, but I think employers should charge their employees for using FB on company time, IF it's going to happen.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by faramita View Post
Makes me wonder if facebook is doing something to their email accounts or computers.
when I first was on FB, I tried to "reply" directly to the email notifications about FaceBook PM's that I had gotten.

I have noticed that more FB people seem to get hacked than the general, non-FB population. This included getting their Facebook account hacked and getting their regular email hacked.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

facebook creeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo
Also, about FB in general, it has changed the work climate entirely. If I could quantify the loss in productivity at our place alone I'd guess 20%, and we're nowhere near the most affected.

It shouldn't be allowed on the company's coin, but I think employers should charge their employees for using FB on company time, IF it's going to happen.

Thats easily fixed by blocking outbound connections to the domain or IP on a firewall. Any IT guy with half a brain cell could do this in about 30 secs.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackatee View Post
Thats easily fixed by blocking outbound connections to the domain or IP on a firewall. Any IT guy with half a brain cell could do this in about 30 secs.
True, but that's not the environment we're hoping to create (and I fully understand the irony in that statement). Also, clients use FB while attending sessions.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

That's understandable.

You could however, assign static IP's to your work computers and then block those IP's from facebook. And then all your paying clients get assigned dynamic IP's that are allowed access to everything.

You can set the range of IP's that are dynamically assigned - For example:

192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.10 - Work computers (Static and Reserved IP's)

192.168.1.11 - 192.168.1.255 - Dynmaic IP's available for assignment to clients.

Anyway, just another angle you could take.. But I understand your concerns.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
That's my solution.

Whether it's truly being implemented now or not, it would be a snap for the gov't to start profiling FB members. All under the Patriot Act, right? Or as a yet-to-be-written regulation stemming from the latest attempt to regulate the internet. Yeah, I'm crazy... So are you -- I have all the evidence from your FB history to prove it.
Paranoid much?

Bwahahahaha!
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Holy crap I just blew my nose and an ad for cold medicine popped up on Facebook.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Roy View Post
There was a knock at my front door and a stranger standing there. I then heard a voice say "some of your friends are friends with this guy, would you like to be friends with him as well?".
Ummmm, I would say yes, but only on the condition that he gives me candy and takes me for a ride in his windowless van.

Not sure if anyone is familiar with Douglas Rushkoff, but I am reading his book "Program or Be Programmed" right now and if there was ever a better argument for deleting my facebook account I have yet to hear it. The book is a lightweight, easy read and he self published it so it isn't too expensive and he gets most of the $$$ for his work, plus he's really brilliant and tuned in and has generally predicted a lot of things that have happened with the internet and the economic crashes associated with the burgeoning information economy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search