The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm a Pro Tools guy, but I can finally say...
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm a Pro Tools guy, but I can finally say...

..PTLE was the biggest streaming pile of Sh%t ever created!!

Thank God Avid has changed it's game. I've owned an HD system for several years which is great, and I've basically avoided LE in favor of DP or Logic when working on my laptop. But recently I've been using version PT-8LE a bit in anticipation of getting PT9. Holy crap, I forgot how badly it pales compared to Logic, etc. I mean, unless you like crashes, low track count, etc.

Here's to PT9
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

I don't think the crashes or low track count will be any less with 9 than they were with 8 for you. At least that's been my experience. Logic is still way more efficient.
It's a bummer cause I prefer working in PT, but my computer can't really handle it for certain things.
But at least we get ADC, TC, etc.
Old 22nd December 2010
Deleted #157546
Hd user here. But, having said that, I use PT LE8 for onsite stuff and quick overdubs on location. Where as there is a lot of "other" stuff out there, I wouldn't call LE garbage.

But I'm with you on the many improvements in 9. Avid has really stepped up the game with 9 compared to LE in general.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

LE has it's pitfalls but it's a good app. Not perfect, and not good for some purposes, but far from garbage.

I have PT9 on only two machines but both are much more stable now than they ever were running PT8.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I absolutely LOVE PT 9
Kudos to Avid
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKmusic View Post
..PTLE was the biggest streaming pile of Sh%t ever created!!

Thank God Avid has changed it's game. I've owned an HD system for several years which is great, and I've basically avoided LE in favor of DP or Logic when working on my laptop. But recently I've been using version PT-8LE a bit in anticipation of getting PT9. Holy crap, I forgot how badly it pales compared to Logic, etc. I mean, unless you like crashes, low track count, etc.

Here's to PT9
If your LE8 is crashing, you've got a badly set up computer or something else is wrong - dodgy plugin or something.

LE8 is just as stable as 8HD on a well set up computer - my home rig has crashed about 3 times since PT8 was out.

Logic on the other hand....buggy and crash-prone IMO. People tend to deal with it rather than expect it to be fixed.
Old 23rd December 2010
CKK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
If your LE8 is crashing, you've got a badly set up computer or something else is wrong - dodgy plugin or something.

LE8 is just as stable as 8HD on a well set up computer - my home rig has crashed about 3 times since PT8 was out.

Logic on the other hand....buggy and crash-prone IMO. People tend to deal with it rather than expect it to be fixed.
If your Logic is crashing, you've got a badly set up computer or something else is wrong - dodgy plugin or something.

Logic 9 is just as stable as ...........................................
..........................................................................................
...........................................(.)

Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

What do you guys consider a normal track count ? it would be rare that I ever hit 20, 14 or so is plenty.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
True. It's not a condescending statement, it's just pointing out the obvious that something is tripping up PT. Too many people sail smoothly for it to be a global PT issue. It tends to be related to an out-of-date plugin or shoddy video card or permissions or... many things can cause a crash and they're not all related to poorly designed code.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I love PT9 but the Structure crash bug is fkn annoying.
Old 24th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKK View Post
If your Logic is crashing, you've got a badly set up computer or something else is wrong - dodgy plugin or something.

Logic 9 is just as stable as ...........................................
..........................................................................................
...........................................(.)

Logic is just buggier I'm afraid.

I've spent enough time trouble shooting both systems to know that!

I agree that lots of people have problems with Logic because they've got stacks of cracked and free plugins that are less stable than they could be.

But even on a fresh, well set up rig, Logic is buggier. Not unusably buggy, but when you can use a PT rig for 3 weeks straight without a crash, anything less than that is "buggy" in my book.
Old 24th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
What do you guys consider a normal track count ? it would be rare that I ever hit 20, 14 or so is plenty.
48 maybe? Depends on how backing-vocal heavy something is, if guitar mics have been submixed etc...I'll often have a bunch of inactive tracks (guitar DIs for example, guide tracks) that play no part in the session.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search