The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Simon Cowell to receive Knighthood Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Simon Cowell to receive Knighthood

Queen's New Year's Honours List 2011: X Factor's Simon Cowell tipped for knighthood | Mail Online

Here lies music industry

1940-2000
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

balls
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

"In 2009 it was revealed that Cowell paid £21.7million in tax in the previous financial year."

Holy sh!t !
Old 20th December 2010
Deleted User
I have alot of admiration for the guy.

No jokes.
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jampottt View Post
... No jokes.
Whereas: I have lived long enough to see things that I once got belly-laughs for making up... come true.

And it's a peculiar sensation, I can tell you. Sure, it's a gift of prophecy, but there's also a monstrously depressing side to it, as well...

Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

It's kind of a shame that Don LaFontaine guy passed away....

.......In a world gone mad......dfegad
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Success brings hate....

What else can you say?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well if you ever wondered where all the money in the industry has gone ..... Take one guess !!!
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I can say that success doesn't always bring hate. Not first-hand, but I can say it and it's true.

I don't hate the man, just think it's odd that he's considered worthy of a knighthood........
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

The British knighthood system is stupid and pointless and antediluvian ... if Simon Cowell wants a knighthood, good luck to him.

The list of people who have declined honours is an entertaining roll-call of talent:

Declining a British honour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

i believe a slight slip of the sword would yield the desired results
Old 20th December 2010
Cowell's contribution to the music industry is questionable. His knighthood would be more in recognition of the money he has raised for charity and the contribution he has made to the British economy.

Quote:
The British knighthood system is stupid and pointless and antediluvian
The honours system gives recognition to people from all walks of life who have made a positive difference in their community. I wouldn't say that's pointless.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Guess he will be riding around on his high horse from now on ?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

For a long time now knighthood is about money. In seventies it cost £ 40 000 t0 50 000 to get on the list.
Doing a lot of charity work helps, but money is essential.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well, he doesn't even have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, so how much of a big shot can he be?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Simon Cowell to receive Knighthood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMyGo
The honours system gives recognition to people from all walks of life who have made a positive difference in their community. I wouldn't say that's pointless.
Some, but it mostly goes to money. Letters after your name, new clothes to meet the queen, pointless IMO.
Old 20th December 2010

let's see eh? It is the "mail" after all......
Old 20th December 2010
T1M
Gear Maniac

Why is having some old c**t tap you on the shoulders with a sword considered to be a great honor?

Seriously, I don't get it...
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

heh
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Whereas: I have lived long enough to see things that I once got belly-laughs for making up... come true.

And it's a peculiar sensation, I can tell you. Sure, it's a gift of prophecy, but there's also a monstrously depressing side to it, as well...

As my mom said, glaring over her glasses at me, "There's nothing worse than a pessimist who is usually right, dammit."

Ahem. I was, in fact, the "realist" in question...

So, knighthood is no longer even worth a warm bucket of spit.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
let's see eh? It is the "mail" after all......
I thought that , after I had posted !
Doh !
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
Well, he doesn't even have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, so how much of a big shot can he be?
Mark these words, Chris! You're going to find out what I'm talking about!!!
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yago View Post
"In 2009 it was revealed that Cowell paid £21.7million in tax in the previous financial year."

Holy sh!t !

He earned 75 mil $ last year.

Second best paid entertainer after Oprah.

“I’m interested only in making money, for myself and the people I work for,” Cowell once said. “I mean, that’s absolutely the only criterion I attach.”

Thats also the only criteria they attach for giving Knighthoods to people

hehhehheh
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post

We could say that about monarchies in general, especially the house of windsor.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cowell View Post
“I’m interested only in making money, for myself and the people I work for,” Cowell once said. “I mean, that’s absolutely the only criterion I attach.”
Ahhhhhh the sickly stench of a nummamorous arse.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Cowell receives manhood would have been a more appropriate title. That would've actually been good news.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

And yet back in their heyday, they only awarded The Beatles the lowest of these honorifics - the MBE
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker View Post

“I’m interested only in making money, for myself and the people I work for,”

Keep in mind that among those he is referring to in this quote are the numerous charities he raises millions for.

Also, I think he should be commended for not trying to pretend that the "music" he is involved with is high art; that's honesty that you don't often see in the music industry.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
Why is having some old c**t tap you on the shoulders with a sword considered to be a great honor?

I guess if you think of the Queen as "som old c**t then it wouldn't be an honour really but some people out there are quite fond of the royal family. I don't know if anyone else heard about "that [email protected]" Pincess Dianas death? Or have any news agencies run anything about "that balding goofy t**t" Prince William getting married?

They are celebs like any of our knob twiddling/guitar playing idols and I'm sure people who do more important things with their life like curing aids and cancer can't understand why we give a s**t what singnal path was used on some obscure recording from the 70s. Why would it be an honour to work with these people? If history and tradition isnt important that is.

For an "old c**t" she sure does bring in a whole load of money to the UK as morons flock to see the silly men in their red jackets and stupid hats outside her house. Kinda like mounties
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDaddyO View Post
And yet back in their heyday, they only awarded The Beatles the lowest of these honorifics - the MBE
To be fair, at the point they were awarded their honours, they had only just released Help! and the best (in my opinion) was still 2 yrs away. Although I love the early catalogue of course, it was fairly formulaic pop to this point. It was a bit like giving coldplay an MBE

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search