The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Simon Cowell to receive Knighthood Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

man....... So sad.........period
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInTheFurnace View Post
To be fair, at the point they were awarded their honours, they had only just released Help! and the best (in my opinion) was still 2 yrs away. Although I love the early catalogue of course, it was fairly formulaic pop to this point. It was a bit like giving coldplay an MBE
Yeah, that comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, and it doesn't really cross the generational gap too well. But I agree that their best work was still ahead, although I can't make comparisons between their three major phases (tight young band, growing sophistication & experimentation, fully mature & independent artists) as it's a bit apples to oranges for me ... with each phase essential and important in it's own way.

I see your point about there being somewhat of a formula, although I'd also say that to be fair to The Beatles, there was absolutely nothing formulaic or common about them when they first burst on the scene. That's a huge factor in their music having had such an almost immediate, global appeal (both yesterday and today). I don't know if you are of age to have experienced their arrival first hand, but I was, and I can assure you that when Beatlemania hit, it was literally as if everything else in the entertainment universe had been black & white. But these Beatles - they were in glorious technicolor. It wasn't as if we would've definitely known the difference of life without them. But once you heard them, there was no going back to life as before. I like Coldplay. But I can't see that comparison.

A final note is also in order I suppose, to be fair to The Monarchy - after all, they did eventually knight Sir Paul.
Old 26th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa View Post
man....... So sad.........period

And why would that be sad?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

......because the bandwagon is rolling now......

Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Simon Cowell *is* the epitome of the majorities collective consciousness right now - a collective consciousness that invests far more energy/time/effort in trivia, gossip and greed.

The only thing Simon Cowell is any good at is dumbing down the populace with his constant and unending flow of detritus that perpetually stupefies the masses. It just goes to show how unwell England really is if such people are to be awarded these kinds of honours.

Old 30th December 2010

Simon Cowell makes money from telephones and TV shows - so let's stop considering him part of the music industry!! I mean, c'mon - it wasn't exactly the music buyers who bought Boyles album was it ?!

He makes money from the idea of "the dream" and not making greta music. The guy's earned a mint, he's contributed a lot in terms of tax income - so fair enough. He wants the pony award, let him have it.
Old 30th December 2010
To give the guy credit, you probably will see him swaggering (staggering?) around in a coat of chain mail and assaulting the ramparts, what ones that are left.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Simon Cowell makes money from telephones and TV shows - so let's stop considering him part of the music industry!! I mean, c'mon - it wasn't exactly the music buyers who bought Boyles album was it ?!

He makes money from the idea of "the dream" and not making greta music. The guy's earned a mint, he's contributed a lot in terms of tax income - so fair enough. He wants the pony award, let him have it.
So Simon doesn't own a record company that doesn't keep on endlessly churning and pumping out reams upon reams of insipid music to the masses of morons out there who are also willing to sell their very souls to the Devils apprentice for a few moments of fame? ... >>Syco<<

Old 31st December 2010

I didn't say that. Look at the sales figures, do the maths and then tot up the huge votes on shows like X factor. Guess where THAT money goes. His "record label" shenanigans are small fry next to that. The turn over from ONE episode of X factor is way more than any of his acts music sales figures.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
I didn't say that. Look at the sales figures, do the maths and then tot up the huge votes on shows like X factor. Guess where THAT money goes. His "record label" shenanigans are small fry next to that. The turn over from ONE episode of X factor is way more than any of his acts music sales figures.
Sorry dude - that must of sounded really hostile that post of mine. I'm just not that keen on what the bloke gets up to you know - it's nothing to do with money or jealousy on my part - I just think he could really do some great things for music with what he has at his disposal.

Old 31st December 2010

yo,

didn't think you were hostile! no worries there!

I can't stand what he does - but he has earned it. Earned it at the cultural rape of UK music, but earned it he has.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I don't think any of these guys should be given Knighthood unless they can use a Templar broadsword well. (except for Sting). "Sir Sting", has a nice ring to it.
Old 1st January 2011
And aren't you required to slay at least one dragon???
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
And aren't you required to slay at least one dragon???
Cowell would end up a crispy critter...
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Simon Cowell to receive Knighthood

Did he get it? I did not see him on the lists. What did he get?

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search