The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
$1k to spend: Upgrade Monitors or A/D Convertor Single-Channel Preamps
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

$1k to spend: Upgrade Monitors or A/D Convertor

Hey Guys!

I have a smaller setup running Pro Tools 8 with a Digi 002 console. I'm using a RME ADI-2 for conversion, Grace m101 mic pre, Focusrite ISA one mic pre, and Mojave MA-200 tube mic. I'm also using Alesis MKII monitors.

I'm recording singer/songwriter type music, so only recording acoustic guitar and vocals. I'm pretty happy with the tone of the vocals. I produce the songs with Plugin pianos and drum kits. I'm wanting to increase my overall sound and I'm not sure if monitors or better conversion would be a better investment. I feel like the sound is too muddy, and honestly, it could be mainly just my mixing techniques/abilities. Any insight is really appreciated, thanks!

I attached a song that I finished in my studio, using what I mentioned above (actually, this song was without the RME ADI-2 because it the shop for repair).
Attached Files

Leave_Or_Stay.mp3 (3.81 MB, 1149 views)

Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Easy; I’d update the monitors. That RME is a very decent converter - and you want to be able to hear the results of it, or any other converter for that matter as well as the rest of your chain with accuracy. Not that the Alesis’ are bad, but for 1k you’re not going to do better for a converter than that RME ADI-2, imo, and better monitors will do it justice and judging by the rest of your chain it looks like the Alesis’ are your weakest link.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search