The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ik multimedia charges $30 per redownload
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

ik multimedia charges $30 per redownload

Yikes... just had a drive crash and I'm going have pay more for the redownloads then my group buy price for the software. Thanks IK.
Old 19th December 2010
Jeez, what a shame!!!!!! Charging for redownload =
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

That's sad. Don't buy their stuff any more
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
That's sad. Don't buy their stuff any more
There's no possible justification for this fee, not if it's merely a download.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
There's no possible justification for this fee, not if it's merely a download.
Oh yeah... it's just the right to re-download the product I bought... well borrowed is a more accurate term I guess given the circumstances. 30 bucks not a big deal to me... the fact that the three libraries I lost due to hard drive crash are 30 EACH is problem. And those are just the three I care about... I probably theoretically could pay them $240 if I pulled down all the 8 things I bought in the group buy thingy for much less.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold View Post
Yikes... just had a drive crash and I'm going have pay more for the redownloads then my group buy price for the software. Thanks IK.
I just logged in to my iK download area, and was able to dl updated versions of all of my group buy products (T-Racks 3) without any fee.

What product/group buy are you seeing this charge on?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Note to self: if buying IK products, ALWAYS get the DVD version.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDaddyO View Post
I just logged in to my iK download area, and was able to dl updated versions of all of my group buy products (T-Racks 3) without any fee.

What product/group buy are you seeing this charge on?
For their sample-based products (Miroslav, Sampletank, etc...) there are the plugin installers, which are small and can be downloaded from the user area any time.

But there are also the seperate "Sounds" files which contain all the sample content. You're given a window of opportunity to get the downloads and then if you ever need them again you gotta pay out.

I can't see the justification really, I have other products with similar sized libraries that I can download from the developers website any time I want, and as many times as I want without being charged.

It seems almost like a tax on misfortune. (in the case of hard-drive failure, fire or a home robbery, whatever)
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the heads up!

It's PR like this that spoil an otherwise great product.

I've just got off the phone with the Karma Plugin Patrol! So What goes around comes around.

A solution is to wait for the next update, then just pay the upgrade price and re-download the new versions. Which won't be too long away judging by the way they've been discounting heavily. Case in point - Native instruments with Komplete 5.

My heart goes out to you brother. Hope you find peace in warning others like myself about his. Once again, thanks for the heads up.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Have you contacted our support team to even ask about perhaps consolidating it to one or making other accommodations? I can't make guarantees but there are humans that might feel your pain that work support so... it would probably have been worth a shot.

Other companies give limited time to download libraries, and the expectation is for the purchaser to back up their purchase. This is along those lines but you get 30 days (some only give a few days if that). I don't think we're in the minority here, but I do understand your frustration.

Contacting us directly to explain your frustration is always a good idea, though, and not just when it comes to us but any company.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Fair point Peter but I still don't see why any company charges you twice for the same thing, it's sat on a server doing nothing. Still, I'd advise the OP to back up any downloads as soon as they've landed on your hard drive, that's what I tend to do
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I have some IK software and have been pretty happy with their products. However, after hearing this I will NOT buy anything else from them unless they change their ways. That is ridiculous!
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Other companies give limited time to download libraries, and the expectation is for the purchaser to back up their purchase. This is along those lines but you get 30 days (some only give a few days if that). I don't think we're in the minority here, but I do understand your frustration.
In my experience, you're not in the minority but instead the ONLY company that time-limits content downloads. I've had to re-download content many times, from several different companies, and I've never been asked to pay.

It might be more helpful to explain why the fee is necessary in the first place. What are we paying for?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

That policy is obscene. Other companies that *do* disable download links after a set period of time, re-activate them completely free of charge, almost instantly.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Have you contacted our support team to even ask about perhaps consolidating it to one or making other accommodations? I can't make guarantees but there are humans that might feel your pain that work support so... it would probably have been worth a shot.

Contacting us directly to explain your frustration is always a good idea, though, and not just when it comes to us but any company.
Thanks for the suggestion... I will contact them. Like I said I don't mind paying... like say if was 30 flat I'd be totally fine with that... but 30 per sound lib where there are 8 sound libs is tough.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Without getting into specifics I found them to be very helpful once I contacted them and we found a solution that worked for everyone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search