The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
non-stop lamenting about modern music not being any good or whatever Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th December 2010
  #1
non-stop lamenting about modern music not being any good or whatever

i'm sure this thread has been done before, but i just get so mad when i see this -- in general, among people i know and meet, etc. but ESPECIALLY on this forum

if you really truly believe that there are no great bands/artists and no great sounding albums/songs anymore you have no business involving yourself in the music industry at this time imo

just another moan for the moan zone. and if you disagree with me here you're wrong and your taste in music is likely extremely boring
Old 18th December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

I understand what you're saying, but surely the answer for anyone who doesn't like modern music is to try to make modern music that they like.

- c
Old 18th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
TobyToby's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbag View Post
i'm sure this thread has been done before, but i just get so mad when i see this -- in general, among people i know and meet, etc. but ESPECIALLY on this forum

if you really truly believe that there are no great bands/artists and no great sounding albums/songs anymore you have no business involving yourself in the music industry at this time imo

just another moan for the moan zone. and if you disagree with me here you're wrong and your taste in music is likely extremely boring
Let them moan and stick with The Beatles and other dinosaurs. I've never discovered so many likeable bands and artists like in these days. You would not find them in the UK/US charts mostly but you won't have your dinner at Mc Donalds either.
Old 18th December 2010
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I understand what you're saying, but surely the answer for anyone who doesn't like modern music is to try to make modern music that they like.

- c
as most of us do--

i don't know, it just kills me when i see someone who self-describes as an "engineer" or "producer" offhandedly tossing out a comment about how literally everything on the radio is terrible, and all hip-hop is terrible, and there are no good rock bands, and also because of pro tools there are no musicians who can actually play their instruments anymore, etc. it just shows this weird contempt for music as a whole and for what people actually like and listen to.

like the endless criticisms of things like melodyne, loudness war, other things like that --> does it really sound intrinsically 'bad' when something is 'excessively' tuned or compressed....? or does it just sound 'wrong' to the ears of someone who doesn't care to try and understand entire genres and eras of music? because there are plenty of artists whose albums i straight up love who seem to have the autotune and L1 cranked 100% on their records and, guess what, i absolutely don't listen to them in spite of that; sometimes things just work for the material. sometimes i want to hear the bass to compress so hard it distorts. sometimes i want to dial up the pitch correction artifacts entirely past the maximum. sometimes it just needs to sound way too loud. sometimes it just works to break the 'rules' (ok i had several things in mind when writing the last few sentences but reading it back it looks like i'm just straight up describing kanye -- i'm not talking about kanye here fwiw), and out of that, who knows, you might create an entire genre of music that people around the world will start listening to

when you hold the music you grew up with/primarily listen to up as the metric to evaluate other styles of music though, you start to see things that are actually innovations as mistakes or as examples of poor taste. but actually it's just closed-mindedness (and what i would think is rather obvious close-mindedness, which is why i'm surprised to see people who toss out 'yeah, well everything on the radio sucks' on this forum never get called out on it by anyone---really, you can't find any good songs on the radio? or is it just that you can't find anything that sounds like ________?) there is just SO much to be impressed by coming out every year, so much music, so much innovation, so many new genres, so many talented musicians and charismatic artists and bands that put on amazing shows and hell yeah, even songs on the radio with exceptional production and incredible hooks.... and it all sucks? really? if you're a casual music fan, sure. if you're a producer, it's a problem. if you're an engineer and you hate top-40 radio with a passion and then someone asks you if you can get their music sounding "radio ready" and you say yes? that's a huge problem. you don't understand radio ready, you don't even like it. you might understand what it meant to be "radio ready" several years or decades ago, but we're all living right now. and as musicians and people working in the field of music, i think we should make an extra effort to both understand and even like* what is going on at the forefront of our field.

right?




* and yes, it's possible to make an effort to like something, i've done it many times with great success otherwise i'd still be listening to nothing but punk
Old 18th December 2010
  #5
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

All the complaints you bring up are completely valid, even if you don't agree. 30 years from now Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin will still be playing and new stuff out right now will be a distant memory. Why? Because it just sounds better, dinosaurs or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbag View Post
as most of us do--

i don't know, it just kills me when i see someone who self-describes as an "engineer" or "producer" offhandedly tossing out a comment about how literally everything on the radio is terrible, and all hip-hop is terrible, and there are no good rock bands, and also because of pro tools there are no musicians who can actually play their instruments anymore, etc. it just shows this weird contempt for music as a whole and for what people actually like and listen to.

like the endless criticisms of things like melodyne, loudness war, other things like that --> does it really sound intrinsically 'bad' when something is 'excessively' tuned or compressed....? or does it just sound 'wrong' to the ears of someone who doesn't care to try and understand entire genres and eras of music? because there are plenty of artists whose albums i straight up love who seem to have the autotune and L1 cranked 100% on their records and, guess what, i absolutely don't listen to them in spite of that; sometimes things just work for the material. sometimes i want to hear the bass to compress so hard it distorts. sometimes i want to dial up the pitch correction artifacts entirely past the maximum. sometimes it just needs to sound way too loud. sometimes it just works to break the 'rules' (ok i had several things in mind when writing the last few sentences but reading it back it looks like i'm just straight up describing kanye -- i'm not talking about kanye here fwiw), and out of that, who knows, you might create an entire genre of music that people around the world will start listening to

when you hold the music you grew up with/primarily listen to up as the metric to evaluate other styles of music though, you start to see things that are actually innovations as mistakes or as examples of poor taste. but actually it's just closed-mindedness (and what i would think is rather obvious close-mindedness, which is why i'm surprised to see people who toss out 'yeah, well everything on the radio sucks' on this forum never get called out on it by anyone---really, you can't find any good songs on the radio? or is it just that you can't find anything that sounds like ________?) there is just SO much to be impressed by coming out every year, so much music, so much innovation, so many new genres, so many talented musicians and charismatic artists and bands that put on amazing shows and hell yeah, even songs on the radio with exceptional production and incredible hooks.... and it all sucks? really? if you're a casual music fan, sure. if you're a producer, it's a problem. if you're an engineer and you hate top-40 radio with a passion and then someone asks you if you can get their music sounding "radio ready" and you say yes? that's a huge problem. you don't understand radio ready, you don't even like it. you might understand what it meant to be "radio ready" several years or decades ago, but we're all living right now. and as musicians and people working in the field of music, i think we should make an extra effort to both understand and even like* what is going on at the forefront of our field.

right?




* and yes, it's possible to make an effort to like something, i've done it many times with great success otherwise i'd still be listening to nothing but punk
Old 18th December 2010
  #6
if you honestly believe that you're insane

like, sure those bands will still have fans and get some radio play. but i can't comprehend why you would say that. dsotm is an album 90% based around technological innovations, led zeppelin had great singles but already sounded dated years and years and years ago. why exactly would people disregard decades of great music to listen to those albums over and over again? is that what you do? i'm really not trying to get into a conversation about those bands, you brought them up, but i just don't know why you think that they have done something so incredibly sacred that no one will ever live up to it. haven't we heard that before, about wagner, centuries ago? people hold certain composers in such high regard, why isn't that all that we're listening to, instead of the crap we've been getting fed since the late 60's? you make zero sense and i pity any band that works with you in this year, 2010
Old 18th December 2010
  #7
T1M
Gear Maniac
 

People who say things like that should get an automatic ticket to the nearest retirement home cause thats where the **** they belong.
Old 18th December 2010
  #8
I agree with OP 100%.
So much boring stuff about how cheese, ham and Pink Floyd were so much better back then.
I am 41, so i am pretty old and i still can't understand that.
I love 80's and i think that was the best music period ever but i will never say that today's music is crap.
As a matter of fact i think there has never been so much good music around in all styles and genres.
Maybe rock music is not most popular in the charts right now(thank God), so what? Music styles popularity moves in cycles like anything else.

Kings of Leon and Coldplay is not good enough for you?
Pink, Leona Lewis and Bruno Mars suck?
The Band Perry and Carrie Underwood are horrible?

If you think that all of this sucks than something is wrong with you,
and not with modern music.
Old 18th December 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbag View Post
if you honestly believe that you're insane
You both have equally valid points; you are being a little bit too dismissive of what it takes for an artist/band to end up with such status as the Beatles or P Floyd (just for example), and SoundsGreat is being a little bit too dismissive with his generalisation that "new stuff out right now will be a distant memory". Yes, some of it will; some of it will be remembered for decades and rightly so.

If neither of you can see that, then you're both insane

/////////

Just to pick up on a couple of your points......yes, to some people, highly compressed and highly pitch-quantised material does sound intrinsically bad. You cannot have your own opinion about this, and simultaneously try to discount the opinions of others, because it is entirely subjective. Music is an inherently subjective sphere, as is the discussion of production aesthetics. This is a good thing.

Thank **** for clashing opinions about music/art heh
Old 18th December 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker View Post
As a matter of fact i think there has never been so much good music around in all styles and genres.
....this is probably true thanks to the internet culture we now live in; however I don't think there is "more" of it, it's just that it's significantly more accessible

However, I do reserve the right to think that the new Kings of Leon music sucks massive balls heh

It's the communicative generalisations that need to be pruned, not people's individual opinions about music.
Old 18th December 2010
  #11
non-stop lamenting about modern music not being any good or whatever

XP to 'intrinsically bad' :

my point though is that it is a largely generational distinction in opinion that, say, using tools on certain settings sounds bad 100% of the time, and for anyone currently making music with/for clients it would be a misstep to apply what are basically old rules to a client's project if they are trying to create modern sounding music (i.e. walking out of your studio without something that sounds dated or corny); if you're aiming for a retro feel or doing a pastiche sort of thing, go for it. otherwise, I feel like it's irresponsible to your clients to cut yourself off from new releases, somewhat depending on what exactly you do and who you work with, but if you're interested in music and can't find at least a ton of new bands/artists to like, well, I'm not convinced you actually are interested in music

so once again, not saying that everybody needs to like everything. but in a place full of people who are currently involved in music production, I think that it's a problem that so many people on this particular board seem to be totally fine with other musicians basically dismissing contemporary and youthful approaches to sound the same way previous generations dismissed and opposed their generation's music when it was contemporary, or dismissed things like electric guitars or distortion or amplifiers or haircuts or whatever else was threatening the purity and sanctity of music at the time

and not only doing that but apparently having no understanding of how out of touch they sound when complaining about everything invented after their birthdate! and presuming that their own weird retrophilia is the prevailing opinion! (...and maybe it is?...)

that's the part that makes my head spin
Old 18th December 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Then I agree with you.
Old 18th December 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Radiohead makes it difficult for people to assert that Great Bands No Longer Walk The Earth.

- c
Old 18th December 2010
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
All the complaints you bring up are completely valid, even if you don't agree. 30 years from now Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin will still be playing and new stuff out right now will be a distant memory. Why? Because it just sounds better, dinosaurs or not.
Of course people will still be listening to Floyd/Zep.

They'll also be listening to the best music of today. Best as in best written, most enjoyable, not necessarily best recorded. Let's face it, good as it was for the time, there's been records that sound better than Zep and Floyd, Hendrix and the Beatles. No-one cares - it's the songs that make it last, we just have to do our best to present those songs in the best light.

Just as today, no-one listens to Bishop Bash and the Meatbeaters who were contemporaries of Zep.....because they weren't very good and didn't have the songs, charisma, performances etc that the bands that survived did.

Even if you don't agree, this viewpoint is valid
Old 19th December 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 

This thread is BS.

There is not a person in the world who would argue that athletes are not better today than in prior generations. Why? Because of money and time. Simple. Everybody knows this and understands this.

Rock bands? Through no fault of their own, the money and opportunity to achieve greatness is largely diminished compared to past generations. The Beatles had close to 10,000 hours STAGE TIME before recording 1 note at Abbey Rd. I have recorded major acts that have less that 500 hours stage time. There's just far less opportunities for them to gain this experience.

So to compare the two is an insult.

Of course this is a generality, there will always be exceptions. But pulling out red herrings isn't much for a discussion. The rest is just politically correct BS.


Ps, Back in Black sold 800k copies last year. Not bad for a record recorded 30 years ago. I wonder why?
Old 19th December 2010
  #16
Gear Nut
 
Paul Vicory's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyToby View Post
Let them moan and stick with The Beatles and other dinosaurs. I've never discovered so many likeable bands and artists like in these days. You would not find them in the UK/US charts mostly but you won't have your dinner at Mc Donalds either.
Likable musicians doesn't mean that they are any good. And that's really all I have to say other than - I am not moved but what I hear these days - the drama isn't there, the passion is missing. I'm not sure where it has gone. I'm open to the fact that I'm not looking in the right places. I'm pretty sure I've heard the length and breadth of all musical forms at this point - perhaps you could throw me a lifeline that might be anchored in solid and profound musical expression. I feel like I'm sinking.
Old 19th December 2010
  #17
Gear Addict
 

Most adults hated the New pop in the fifties. "Decent" guys like Sinatra, look up his comments on it. It's easy to see that this was true with very little effort in research.

It's always been like this. When I was a kid in the seventies we all thought music had just gone right down the ****ter. In the eighties? Ha, by then to me it was cartoon music. But no one person can hear all of what's out there, not even close. So how can any one person really know if he is in the middle of a high or low point in artistic time? You can't sniff one person's head and then declare that all hair stinks. Besides, that hair might smell great to someone else across the globe, or three hundred years before...

My point is that many people tend to cite what came before as better than "what we have now"

There's no way to know what, if any, art and music from today will endure and become tomorrow's golden yesterday. We are not in a position to say how we will fare as this generation's arteeeeeeests. We haven't the perspective - we're sitting inside it now. We have to turn and look back later

Neither can we foresee if a phenomenon such as the beatles will be remembered after their 1st gen fans have all died. Many iconic musicians have come before - but those who 'could not play' in the traditional sense! Those who have endured for centuries have historically been those who have been cornerstones in the progress and development of "serious" music. Never before have we plucked stars from the shreds of a dying society to hold up as the baton-bearers of our time to the coming eons! I wish I could live long enough to see if they will endure. My guess is that, although I was a big fan and would want them to always be loved and remembered and the Beatles were VERY important to pop music, they were in fact probably not very important to music in the larger sense, and will likely do a graceful fadeout over the next thirty or forty years.

Who knows? Who cares? Why did I write all that? I should be paying my taxes right now
Old 19th December 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
There is not a person in the world who would argue that athletes are not better today than in prior generations. Why? Because of money and time. Simple. Everybody knows this and understands this.
There is at least one respected anthropologist who holds the opposite opinion. Check out Peter McAllister's book "Manthropology". Really, if you think about it evolutionarily, modern Man (meaning men and women) have less and less need to be physically fit, fast and strong. Do you not think that it's also possible that technology is slowly dumbing us all down in many ways?

This thread isn't BS, it's really interesting to hear opinions, and it's encouraging to find other people who don't think that "modern music" as a generalisation is boring, superficial and ****e; because it's not!
Old 19th December 2010
  #19
Gear Nut
 
seany's Avatar
 

non-stop lamenting about modern music not being any good or whatever

I think this is spot on. People tend to pick their boxes in adolescence, and stick to them religiously, especially in music which is so personal. Some people like the one genre that connected with them when they were younger and believe anything that has followed is crap. It has probably always been this way.

This intransigence enables the open-minded to explore and create new music. The cycle mode of bitching and lauding is continuous, and nothing new.
Old 19th December 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Batchainpuller78's Avatar
 

But we have written music for centuries and recorded music for also over a century now (way longer if you count musical clocks & boxes & cilinder organs), so you can put this next to that and compare, If you can't notice some sort of rise and decline in music (especially in popular culture) I don't know what to say.

Sure there are still modern bands I like, however these tend to be bands that still know actually how to write music, perform and play their instruments, and are often instrumental.
I do have a harder time getting into stuff like pop-punk or techno tracks and many forms of current electronic music, I still have a big love for experimental electronic music ranging from the 40's till today.

Now music has many forms, and it's goal and form and usage has morphed quite a lot over the past 60 years (sure it's changes evolves and revolves continues), and probably it's not right to compare the latest tracks of euhm lets say that Deadmau5 guy to the late great composers of previous centuries or to the Jazz cats from the 40's till 70's or to songwriter teams for more popular music in the same era.
If you take into account, how they had to perform and record things like that in those days vs the computer assisted stuff now? I don't know somehow a light goes on that says : hey those guys were from a different caliber than todays crop.

And one could mainly point to modern society and say there is the fault!
If you were 28 in the 20's you were a man, married with kids, working, taking care of the family, much less distractions...the average living room was simpler, way less gadgets, so sitting round the piano was a great deal and an experience.. and people wrote music, not playing around with lego bricks on a screen.
Today the people in their 20's and 30's even are still happy go lucky, partying, x-boxing, beerguzzling & burgereating group, constantly bombarded with diversions, advertising and information, a stock load of gadgets in their homes, computer assistance to aid them to results without the grasp of the subject previous generations had.

Sure there are still prodigy's and young kids who abuse the tools in a very creative and fantastic way.
but most of those are not the ones who get bombarded to you by the obvious media channels 24/7 and those media channels are well spread out in the 'technological' world.. Every ad sign in our little town in Belgium is from Clearchannel... if I listen to 'Belgian' commercial music television and radio (the public one is still quite allright) it seems like there are only a dozen artists in the world, getting rotated 24/7 and hey they are all American??? hmm weird I thought the world was bigger than that.
Those are things that make me mad, and that sound and style of music is what I personally consider crap, and apart from maybe a nice hook or melody line once in a while does nothing for my soul.

But that is what many young musicians strive after as that is what's in and what brings succes and recognition. Although it's quite allright I don't have to deal with those that much as they are able to sample and program that stuff at home, they don't need real musicians and a studio to achieve something similar, sometimes they just need to record a vocal and will use the place for that.

although I have to say Sleeping Bag you are right, I am getting out of the business, as of next year no more studio, I'm gonna follow another passion, food and I'll only keep working on my material and do a few productions with the bands I like & befriended over the years, just for music as that interests me the most.
I already feel that it's going to be very liberating.
Old 19th December 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
I often wonder if a lot of the opinions expressed are somewhat generation based. Most of us don't list our ages. I'm 57 myself and I will say this-there has always been great music being made and there always will be. It just takes awhile to sort through it all. Maybe that's the problem-there's so much more accessable music today than there was when I was growing up. My cd collection contains music from the mid-60's to a lot of stuff released this year and everything in between. I seem to enjoy listening to them in equal amounts. I think most opinions are based on personal tastes, rather than recognizing real talent. Personally, I don't care to listen to a lot of the more modern genres (rap/hiphop,metal,"modern country",and many others) but I do recognize talent when I hear it and I acknowledge it freely. By the way, I got tickets to see The Avett Brothers next month and I am pretty stoked about it even though I'll probably be the oldest person there.
Old 19th December 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Batchainpuller78's Avatar
 

Sure, I was born in '78 got my first drumkit at the age of three, although they took it away again because I was banging on it too much, so I just had to do with the sticks

So I was quite interested in all the music I was exposed to at a young age,
when I actually started buying music and listening to it I've always enjoyed the music current at that time but searched a lot in what was recorded before as well, and my amazement and appreciation actually grew the further back in time I went and the current music became much more static and quantized and sample based.

With young song and pop bands I do it all the time, they are excited about a progression they made or a rhythm they have or a type of song, and in the break I put on a record that predates their birth by a few decades and they usually realize themselves, hey that's what we do or wanna do only with a lot more soul & skill.
They also notice, hey the drums are not that tight & static, but the groove & swing is just amazing...
Old 19th December 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adathead 53 View Post
Most of us don't list our ages.
I'm barely 23 I tend to get the feeling I'm a bit on the young side in all the discussions I get involved in here.
Old 19th December 2010
  #24
Gear Nut
 
Paul Vicory's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I understand what you're saying, but surely the answer for anyone who doesn't like modern music is to try to make modern music that they like.

- c
Quoted for truth, in so many ways.
Old 19th December 2010
  #25
Lives for gear
 

There is a lot of great music there NOW. It's just not all rock (a very very dated genre, if you don't mind) or even rap, a very old and limited genre too by now. And it is not necessarily in English. it's not American or UK music. Just check out some other countries. Ok, they do not "shift units" in US. But than neither did Bach.
Old 19th December 2010
  #26
Lives for gear
 
AfterViewer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbag View Post
i'm sure this thread has been done before, but i just get so mad when i see this -- in general, among people i know and meet, etc. but ESPECIALLY on this forum

if you really truly believe that there are no great bands/artists and no great sounding albums/songs anymore you have no business involving yourself in the music industry at this time imo

just another moan for the moan zone. and if you disagree with me here you're wrong and your taste in music is likely extremely boring
Everyone here likes some of the new stuff or they wouldn't be here. Now go back to sleep.
Old 19th December 2010
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
There is at least one respected anthropologist who holds the opposite opinion. Check out Peter McAllister's book "Manthropology". Really, if you think about it evolutionarily, modern Man (meaning men and women) have less and less need to be physically fit, fast and strong. Do you not think that it's also possible that technology is slowly dumbing us all down in many ways?

This thread isn't BS, it's really interesting to hear opinions, and it's encouraging to find other people who don't think that "modern music" as a generalisation is boring, superficial and ****e; because it's not!
Oh gawd...

I feel like a comedian having to explain his jokes to the audience. McAllister isn't talking about professional athletes is he? Just look at the stats: All or most of the old Olympic, hockey, baseball, football etc etc stats have been broken by the modern athlete. Why? Because of money and time. Simple. And if you take McAllister's POV, it even furthers my point that in spite of a reversal of evolution in the physicality of the modern man, modern athletes do better due to resources available to them beginning at very young ages.

Now, the reason I call BS is because the notion that every generation is just as good as the other is nothing more than political correctness. Now we all like to feel warm and fuzzy inside, perhaps holding hands singing kumbaya but the reality doesn't support that idea. Look, this isn't a judgment.

The simple fact is that the opportunities to grow as a musician is clearly diminished today compared to a generation ago. To say a person who has 1/3 the playing time of another is just as good is an insult. FACT: A study at Berlin's elite Acadamy of Music showed that on average a concert violinist had 2000 more practice hours than a student who could only attain the achievement of a violin teacher by the time they were 20 years old. And that is the only difference they found between those groups. They found no cases of "uber talents" who got by on less practice. Keep in mind that all these kids had a reasonable amount of talent to begin with to even be accepted into this school.

So the only argument here is whether or not today's generation of musicians have the opportunities financially and otherwise as a generation ago. Most would agree that the answer is no ( in the pop/rock world at least). And if you want I can get into the weeds on this point as well, but it's pretty much an accepted fact.

Now of coarse we can find those special cases, and none of this means that all new music sucks. But we can say for certainty that in general, it can't be as good.
Old 20th December 2010
  #28
Lives for gear
 

I'm going to think about this for a while before responding. Hope that doesn't get taken as me running off lol.

For now, I'll just say that using an example of technical proficiency (your reference to the Berlin Academy of Music.........and I'm assuming that this is classical/jazz training) imho doesn't quite apply when talking about "popular music", which is what this thread is really about isn't it?

In my mind, technical skill doesn't have to be synonymous with whatever it is that makes music "good" in a given person's opinion.

Ah, and btw I wasn't presenting McAllister's book as a reference for my own opinion. I don't know if I agree with him or not; it was simply a counter-opinion to your statement that I thought might be relevant, bearing in mind that he's an anthropologist and I assume that you're not.
Old 20th December 2010
  #29
Lives for gear
 
T'Mershi Duween's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
Now, the reason I call BS is because the notion that every generation is just as good as the other is nothing more than political correctness. Now we all like to feel warm and fuzzy inside, perhaps holding hands singing kumbaya but the reality doesn't support that idea. Look, this isn't a judgment.
Nope, it's not a judgment ... it's a fact!

Sorry, but if younger peeps really want popular culture that has depth, meaning and impact, then they better come up with some art that matters.

That takes skill, practice and the ability to focus. Try harder!

Too many wannabe "rock stars" looking to be famous (with their very own reality show!) who can't even fu#king play 'Louie Louie' competently!

Yes, there is still some great music being created, but innovative and enduring most of it is not!

You can mock the "dinosaurs" all you want, but they will endure long after Kanye/Lady Ga Ga/Nickleback et al are forgotten.

Don't blame older people cause you suck!

It seems the majority of modern music is just a pathetic echo of the past or a horrible auto-tuned vision of the future.

I'm not exactly happy about this situation myself. I still have hope though, but young people just "starting out" need to become more focused and disciplined about their craft.

Learn from and respect the past! Pay some dues and practice, practice, practice!

And write some good songs...

It would also be wise to reject the corporate packaged "fake" rebellion/celebrity culture that is being sold to you. Reject it like the hippies and the punks and the early rappers did! You have so many amazing, modern tools available to you. Get it together outside the current system!


"I'm rocking the suburbs
I take the checks and face the facts
that some producer with computers
fixes all my ****ty tracks..."

--- Ben Folds



And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker View Post
Kings of Leon and Coldplay is not good enough for you?
Pink, Leona Lewis and Bruno Mars suck?
The Band Perry and Carrie Underwood are horrible?

If you think that all of this sucks than something is wrong with you,
and not with modern music.

Then I guess there's something wrong with me bro! Cause that's some of the worst, shallow (forgettable) crappy stuff you could have posted as examples!

There is much, much better new music than that.










Old 20th December 2010
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Mershi Duween View Post
Don't blame older people cause you suck!
Nobody here is doing that.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Flying_Dutchman / So much gear, so little time
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump