The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
non-stop lamenting about modern music not being any good or whatever Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 29th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslim View Post
As an old analog dinosaur with a taste for rootsy music played by musicians, I had a impression that most "new" or "current" music was either melodyned pop confections or the lo-freq, hip-hop crap that annoys me at a stoplight.

Some of the younger folks that I worked with last year turned me on to Nick Cave, Edward Sharpe, Grace Potter etc. Lo and behold a local (college) FM station shifted their daytime format from classical to (correct me if I've got this wrong) Adult Album Alternative.

Here's a link to their playlists.

There's a smattering of "old" music like Pretenders, Talking Heads, Buddy Guy, Dr John etc but there's lots of vital new artists and excellent recordings with interesting sounds. I don't personally like every cut they play but I can't deny it is well-written, well-produced Music. It's not forgettable and gutless like most of the pop music we see on the awards and tv shows.

So yes. There is lots of great music out there but for some reason the multi-media corporations make it hard to find.
Woah there, I think you've been out of the loop too long. Nick Cave is an old old act (you never got Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds the first time around in the early 80's?), the other two are more recent at least been going for 5 years or so.

Looking at that page "new" stuff seems to be about 1% of their setlist, and I don't see anything on there today that's been released in the last couple of years. It's not the best indicator for good music still in the making when even the college stations are struggling to find anything current worth playing.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Woah there, I think you've been out of the loop too long.
Yes your point is well taken. I have been out of the loop too long partially by choice and partially by ignorance. I was surprised at the quality of what I considered a "new" act.

If you have a musical perspective that encompasses some six decades, five years is indeed "recent."

Interesting as well is your point about college radio stations having to mine pretty deep to get decent material.

As has been noted before, if you have a new generation of artists without real chops and no place to hone their craft by playing live or on other people's sessions, you're likely to end up with very lame music.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Mershi Duween View Post
In today's rapidly changing world
Pop stars appear every fifteen minutes,
Utilising some new promotional device.
Some of these devices have been known
To leave irreparable scars
On the minds of foolish young consumers.
One such case is pictured below...
I love that Zappa has something that is relevant for everything. :D
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
It's not the best indicator for good music still in the making when even the college stations are struggling to find anything current worth playing.
Our community radio station plays new stuff constantly, of all genres. Every two hours it's a different show. Listener supported, so no commercials. 88.1KDHX. They stream on the web, too, KDHX.org. I listen anytime I'm driving, to all whatever is on. Turn off the rap, though, just can't get to tolerate that, but alt country, rock, jazz, blues, Lebanese folk music--I'm good with that!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search