The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
non-stop lamenting about modern music not being any good or whatever Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
Dude, I did what you just did for every week from when charts began up to the present day for both the UK and the US. I did it to show a friend of mine the startling decline of popular music. He was a hardline "music is as good as it's ever been and the reason it seems worse is because people only remember the good stuff yada yada bullsh*t", so I challenged him and we went through the charts cataloging into unknown (very few), bad, average, good and classic. Despite massively different backgrounds (I'm very eclectic with no genre barriers, and he's a dyed-in-the-wool rock guy, albeit with very good taste) we disagreed on the status of, I think, 3 songs. (He's the music director for a great radio station and is good at being impartial on the value of a piece of music.)

By the time we hit the late 80s it was starting to get a bit hairy for his argument and by the time we hit the early 90s? ... forget about it, it's a veritable wasteland of mediocrity. Long before we hit the 2000's he unequivocally recanted his original position and agreed that music is getting worse, seriously worse. The funny part is I remember how shocked he ended up at how obvious it actually is.
So that's it. You've proved it scientifically. Congratulations!

- c
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
So that's it. You've proved it scientifically. Congratulations!

- c
Thanks Chad. And no need to thank me. I did it as a service to all the misguided souls out there...

When faced with the same blah blah of mediocrity that is all over this thread I did something I doubt anybody else here has done. I challenged it fairly, squarely and methodically. And the person in the opposing camp was big enough (and smart enough) to recognize what was staring him (and everyone else) in the face.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Music is as good as it's ever been?
Well it depends on a few things. Firstly, the reason you're listening to music in the first place, as not all music is written/intended for the same atmosphere or purpose. Secondly, it depends on your own taste in music, and this is not necessarily dependant on age/gender/social status/culture.

It's that simple in my opinion, and I can no longer be bothered to post in here any more lol
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Cool! CHILLZONE.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbag View Post
^^ 'stuck in neutral'? if you say so. the last 10 yrs have been so incredible for music, but you know, feel free to believe whatever you want to. not interested in repeating myself yet another time in this thread
Nope. The last ten years sounds like the nineteen-nighties with worse lyrics.

Quote:
there is a new album by diddy
wHOA NELLY!!!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
Well it depends on a few things. Firstly, the reason you're listening to music in the first place, as not all music is written/intended for the same atmosphere or purpose. Secondly, it depends on your own taste in music, and this is not necessarily dependant on age/gender/social status/culture.

It's that simple in my opinion, and I can no longer be bothered to post in here any more lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
Hey everybody! Nothing matters! Everything is equal to everything else! There's no difference between any one thing and any other thing! We're all the same! Things never get better or worse! It's always the same! Always! Every opinion is equally valid! Unless you're old in which case you're just stupid!

Did I already say everything matters?!
I need to make a rubber stamp out of that creegstor quote. It would be quite useful.
Old 22nd December 2010
Ther is a stack of great new music around! you just have to dig through a whole lot of **** to find it! Muse, Fallout Boy, Perry Farrel, Foo Fighters and many more floating around in that turd bucket, you just gotta get your hands dirty.
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

98% of today's music is **** because the drugs are ****.

Also too many nerds around, what do you expect?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO3600 View Post

heh
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
what???? this proves that you're delusional; literally everybody over 40 with whom i've smoked herb has said something like 'woah, this is way better than what we had when i was a kid' .... lol

Quote:
i expect a much more niche oriented, multi-faceted music market reflective of the huge diversity of tastes and cultures easily accessible today----and that's exactly what i'm seeing
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=sleepingbag;6140570]what???? this proves that you're delusional; literally everybody over 40 with whom i've smoked herb has said something like 'woah, this is way better than what we had when i was a kid' .... lol

see... you are on the wrong path.
you don't want weed, or mp3 of kanye, diddy or willy...

all you need is to lay on the floor whit a big bag of brown, a record player and The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and close you're eyes...
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

A movement is accomplished in six stages
and the seventh brings return
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

The seven is the number of the young light...
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
all you need is to lay on the floor whit a big bag of brown, a record player and The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and close you're eyes...

Well said brother!

Maybe add a few dried grams of psilocybin mushrooms to achieve the full "desired" effect... heh

Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

non-stop lamenting about modern music not being any good or whatever

Syd!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

...It forms when darkness is increased by one.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Travelling by telephone, Yippee you can't see me...
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

going and coming without error
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Action brings good fortune...
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

I've gotta say I completely agree with Sleepingbag here. The music industry is definitely a tough field to make it in and it's disturbing to me that there are so many people that are so unenthusiastic about a lot of music being released these days. I'm continuously inspired by new music coming out and it is what keeps me going in this crazy music industry.

It seems to me that people are being really closed minded. Maybe the next time you hear some Lady Gaga/Black Eyed Peas/Kanye West instead of immediately thinking "this music is terrible", we should try thinking "what is there about this music that moves millions of people?" I truly feel that even the most "mindless" pop music or the most "vulgar" hip hop has something artisitic to offer.

I remember when I was in music school and we had to learn a Schoenberg peice (a-tonal classical music). My initial reaction was "this is terrible, this isn't music, where is the melody?" After getting into it though I realized that there is definitely something beautiful to be appreciated about the music.

Also, I feel that to say that the people currently releasing music don't work hard is kind of offensive to them. Whether they play instruments or use computers or they know how to sing or they really don't is not really the most important thing. I'm quite sure that they work extremely hard at their craft and are interested in creating great songs that will move a lot of people and have artistic value.

and on a lighter note - merry christmas everyone!
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Of The Ring View Post
Maybe the next time you hear some Lady Gaga/Black Eyed Peas/Kanye West instead of immediately thinking "this music is terrible", we should try thinking "what is there about this music that moves millions of people?"

See... the circle is complete.

Remember to spend spend spend because the economy needs it.
One dollar from every Kanye cd sold will go to the Dental Association.
One dollar from every Gaga cd sold will help butchers train for the fashion industry.
The Black eyed peas will spend the dollar on crack.

Merry christmas! and a happy new year.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Of The Ring View Post
I've gotta say I completely agree with Sleepingbag here. The music industry is definitely a tough field to make it in and it's disturbing to me that there are so many people that are so unenthusiastic about a lot of music being released these days. I'm continuously inspired by new music coming out and it is what keeps me going in this crazy music industry.

It seems to me that people are being really closed minded. Maybe the next time you hear some Lady Gaga/Black Eyed Peas/Kanye West instead of immediately thinking "this music is terrible", we should try thinking "what is there about this music that moves millions of people?" I truly feel that even the most "mindless" pop music or the most "vulgar" hip hop has something artisitic to offer.

I remember when I was in music school and we had to learn a Schoenberg peice (a-tonal classical music). My initial reaction was "this is terrible, this isn't music, where is the melody?" After getting into it though I realized that there is definitely something beautiful to be appreciated about the music.

Also, I feel that to say that the people currently releasing music don't work hard is kind of offensive to them. Whether they play instruments or use computers or they know how to sing or they really don't is not really the most important thing. I'm quite sure that they work extremely hard at their craft and are interested in creating great songs that will move a lot of people and have artistic value.

"Or NOT!
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
i can't believe you will go through the trouble to type out a book length detailed history of rock music...

Yeah, and on your thread! heh And book length? More like mini-essay/children's book length maybe! Jules pays me by the word count. heh... Word.

And why are you getting all bent out of shape? You should be honored that your meager little "thread" started a halfway intelligent dialog that many Gearslutz responded to in a sincere and serious way...

Quote:
... and are familiar with the history enough and yet can't see the analogs between rock's development and hip hop's development

Uh... did you even read it? I think that I accurately touched on rock and hip hop and the analogy inherent thereto...

Quote:
i'm a huge kanye fan (to name just one example) and yeah, i think his impact right now is just as much as any the legends of rock y'all keep mentioning.

Do you really want to go on record with either of those statements?

That's cool if you're a huge Kanye fan, but do you honestly think that his "impact" is legendary? And to what? Marketing? Hype? Embarrassing public displays? His amazing keyboard chops? His "singing"?

The only good thing that I've ever heard in a Kanye song was a sample of King Crimson's '21st Century Schizoid Man'!

I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see how much of a lasting "impact" he'll make, won't we?

I highly doubt that he will be considered that musically important (or even relevant) in 10 years. Maybe in an MC Hammer kinda way. How innovative and ridiculous are Kanye's pants?

Quote:
because you don't listen to it or understand it. that's the only difference. has nothing to do with the quality of the music.

I do listen. And I think I can understand Kanye and his complex and groundbreaking music! (man, that was hard to type and keep a straight face!)

Quote:
rock isn't the paradigm anymore

Then what is? You sound like you have some deep, visionary insights about music and pop culture to share. Please do tell!

Quote:
no one is sitting around waiting for someone to come along and reinvent the guitar solo , that's over

That's because most new popular bands/artists can't even play the guitar much less a solo!

Quote:
your fragile old ears can't hear past all the trappings of hip hop enough to be able to appreciate it on its own terms

I already stated emphatically that I appreciated hip hop. And my ears are working quite fine, thank you. heh

Quote:
i don't really feel the need to convince you of this though, now that i've seen the walls that you've built for yourself that will likely prevent you from ever enjoying any new music again.

You're the one who sounds like your mind has snapped shut and narrowed in it's perspective. I enjoy much "new" music. I just want more great, new music!!!

And a thriving industry with intelligent and/or passionate consumers to support it. It's in the best interests of all of the professionals (and amateurs) on this forum.

And this concludes the "Airing Of The Grievances", now bring out the aluminum pole (since my girlfriend already pinned me earlier in "The Feats Of Strength")!

Happy Festivus everyone!!!

Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

heh
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

stikehehstike Now, KOTJM's! Happy Holidays! YouTube - Grand Funk Railroad - Heartbreaker
Old 25th December 2010
Old 26th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

In today's rapidly changing world
Pop stars appear every fifteen minutes,
Utilising some new promotional device.
Some of these devices have been known
To leave irreparable scars
On the minds of foolish young consumers.
One such case is pictured below...

Okay Gearslutz.. I've finally come around.

I LOVE MODERN POP MUSIC NOW!!!

Mainly because I have fallen in love with a promotional picture of Justin Bieber!!!

"His hair's so shiny, I love his lips! I love his teeth and his gums and such!"

heh
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

As an old analog dinosaur with a taste for rootsy music played by musicians, I had a impression that most "new" or "current" music was either melodyned pop confections or the lo-freq, hip-hop crap that annoys me at a stoplight.

Some of the younger folks that I worked with last year turned me on to Nick Cave, Edward Sharpe, Grace Potter etc. Lo and behold a local (college) FM station shifted their daytime format from classical to (correct me if I've got this wrong) Adult Album Alternative.

Here's a link to their playlists.

There's a smattering of "old" music like Pretenders, Talking Heads, Buddy Guy, Dr John etc but there's lots of vital new artists and excellent recordings with interesting sounds. I don't personally like every cut they play but I can't deny it is well-written, well-produced Music. It's not forgettable and gutless like most of the pop music we see on the awards and tv shows.

So yes. There is lots of great music out there but for some reason the multi-media corporations make it hard to find.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search