The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid / pt tech support sucks!!!!!! DAW Software
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Avid / pt tech support sucks!!!!!!

OK, rarely do i complain about stuff like this but GEEEEZZZZZZ USSSSS!!!!

I BOUGHT my tech support ticket for a pro tools HD issue online at Avid for $80. yes, i just spent $80 for tech support. One might think this would get your call put thru quickly, but one would be wrong.

I was on hold with Avid Tech Support for 49 minutes, at which time their automated line redirected me back to THE BEGINNING MENU without me touching a button. THEN it disconnected me.

$80 for this???? REALLLY??!!!!
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Outrageous. Can you call back off hours?
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego View Post
Outrageous. Can you call back off hours?
Nope. they are only open i think 8am to 5pm Pacific time and they take a 1 hour lunch break at noon. I mean seriously, if you are going to charge $80/hour for tech support, then hire a few more tech support guys to answer phones. seems like a no brainer, and this is the last time i'll pay for tech support with them unless my system is catching on fire.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

When i had PTHD, they said that they topped the fee out at 75 back then and i got a CC charge if 154. After 3 days of not being able to figure out the problem, i said to hell with them and sold it off. Only really miss it because of the massey plugs. I feel your pain Kendfegad
Old 16th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Hmm...I've had great luck with tech support. Not that I call them often.
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo86 View Post
Hmm...I've had great luck with tech support. Not that I call them often.
Me too - sorry to hear your pain!
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

When 9 came out I was worried AVID tech support in general would be overwhelmed!stike
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
When 9 came out I was worried AVID tech support in general would be overwhelmed!stike
$80 for a 50-minute wait, then a disconnect -- I'd say your instincts were spot on.

I've ridden the wave of support. In the mid-90s Digi support was pretty good, then, as they grew and eventually started charging, the quality of support dipped sharply. Now, with Avid at its largest size in history, we're reading a growing number of these stories. It's following the general rule that the larger the company gets the worse its support gets. Comcast anyone? Or remember WorldCom? One company had to change its name it got so bad, and the other is in the process of doing exactly that (notice the growing number of Xfinity logos, shrinking number of Comcast material).

Thanks for the post. I'll be hanging on to my $80.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
$80 for a 50-minute wait, then a disconnect -- I'd say your instincts were spot on.

I've ridden the wave of support. In the mid-90s Digi support was pretty good, then, as they grew and eventually started charging, the quality of support dipped sharply. Now, with Avid at its largest size in history, we're reading a growing number of these stories. It's following the general rule that the larger the company gets the worse its support gets. Comcast anyone? Or remember WorldCom? One company had to change its name it got so bad, and the other is in the process of doing exactly that (notice the growing number of Xfinity logos, shrinking number of Comcast material).

Thanks for the post. I'll be hanging on to my $80.
YEP, Avid at least on the audio side needs to step back and realize the support demands of its pro product customers are different from MI/ consumer. I almost got into an argument with someone from AVID here when they said that the "LE systems were pro". Really then why is there a different dealer network for HD and ICON? If you are only going to let certain dealer sell it maybe you need to separate support too!
Of course in the old days your first support call was to your dealer, but now thats worthless in most cases!
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I can't get over the fact that I purchased PT9 the second it came out in November (crossgrade from 8LE) and am not entitled to any support. I have to buy a ticket? There isn't even an option to purchase support for PT9?! WTF? They don't want to support their customer base - and if they do we have to pay extra for it?????!!!!

I've been using PT for ages and will continue to regardless, but their utter lack of customer service blows my mind! Customer support is not Avid's strong point in my opinion. If someone can direct me to a place to request an exception for support I'll eat my words but trying to navigate their support section is an endless loop of frustration...
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

i've had a similar experience - beyond awful.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Angry

Man, up until recently I was using M-audio interfaces. I know, it's not HD but I have kept my anger for some time now and I have to say this.

I had the worst ever tech support experience in my life! It was a real nightmare. I had to send 3 times a fast track for repair and took about 3 months in total until they got it right. In one occasion they just swapped the power supply adapter which took more than a month?!? For what? To take it out of the box and put the new (used) adapter?
On top of this I had to pay the shipping costs twice, call some high-cost telephone line after which I was mislead and convinced that my warranty is gone and it actually wasn't.

I sold everything I will never look back.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't get over the fact that I purchased PT9 the second it came out in November (crossgrade from 8LE) and am not entitled to any support. I have to buy a ticket?
I upgraded from 8 to 9 in November too and I got a 60 days support code from Avid support right after I registered the product online. The support code came in an email so you may have missed this email ?
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Argh! I wish! I looked through all my emails (I keep everything from Avid/Digi) after spending an inordinate amount of time on their site looking for support. I also used their ASC finder for my email address all to no avail... Looks like I'm SOL! Glad you got a ticket though! Did you do the crossgrade? Also, maybe yours was HD? - mine is a reg PT9 crossgrade -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran_ks View Post
I upgraded from 8 to 9 in November too and I got a 60 days support code from Avid support right after I registered the product online. The support code came in an email so you may have missed this email ?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you do the crossgrade? Also, maybe yours was HD? - mine is a reg PT9 crossgrade -
Crossgrade from 8LE to 9 (not HD).

But I must say it would be safer if they listed the support code on your account profile because it's easy to miss an email or have it going straight into the spam box.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

But I must say it would be safer if they listed the support code on your account profile because it's easy to miss an email or have it going straight into the spam box.

Agreed!
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Well, thanks to your post I gave it another go and finally found a way to contact Avid's support via email - and they did indeed send me a support code. thumbsup

Sadly, the response I got from them was less than stellar. The person who responded to my inquiry failed to even read the spec information they ask for and told me my problem was with Windows, um, I'm on a Mac... and my computer's specs were listed RIGHT BELOW his response!

Maybe I'll get bumped to tier 2 support....right.
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Addict

You have to pay $80 for a support ticket for support you didn't even get?

Holy crap that has got to be the worst support ever. Why would you even support a company that charges $80 for a support ticket.
Old 9th January 2011

Indeed - that's terrible, I'd defo complain to them about it.

Have to say - I've had nothing but perfect support here from them..... although I do suspect that they treat customers preferentially depending upon spend!!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search