The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
"Real musicians play with what they have"
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

From this, we can extrapolate that:

a) It is unprofessional to gripe about shortcomings or problems in any piece of gear that results in creative or practical limitations.

b) Buying new equipment is irrational.

c) Talent is like Autotune for timbre.

d) Death metal can be made on mandolins.

Actually, since none of these are true at all, I'd really appreciate it if people would stop sticking their noses in the air and saying, "it's the carpenter, not the tools."

People in the audio world are snobs.
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Ran into a guy in guitar center today with a les paul he just overpaid for. Swore it was unplayable. Sounded and played fine to me. Sometimes, its the carpenter.
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

All of that stems from the supposed scripture "real musicians play with what they have," which isn't a creed to anyone I know personally, so I'm struggling to grasp the point of the thread. Are they teaching this in school now? Did I miss a mandatory seminar? In any event, a definition for "real" musician is easy: he's the one who gets the job done by whatever means he chooses.

I suppose "real" musicians play with what they have, but they also know when it's better to use a wrench instead of their hand. And they're constantly looking for ways to improve their skills, so they're not exactly content with what they have.
Old 10th November 2010
Gear Addict

I think it would be well to try and divine the actual message contained in the axiom. Since taken literally the way it's written in this thread it sorta doesn't make sense, looking at the statement in an occam-like way might reveal that the original author means to say that "real musicians can make do with whatever tools are at hand" which makes a lot more sense.

Old sayings don't get to be old sayings by being nonsensical. If one seems to make no sense the reader has probably misunderstood it's intended message or has remembered it incorrectly
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smutbasket View Post
...looking at the statement in an occam-like way might reveal that the original author means to say that "real musicians can make do with whatever tools are at hand" which makes a lot more sense.

Old sayings don't get to be old sayings by being nonsensical. If one seems to make no sense the reader has probably misunderstood it's intended message or has remembered it incorrectly
I lack a Martin, therefore I use a Guild...
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
From this, we can extrapolate that:

a) It is unprofessional to gripe about shortcomings or problems in any piece of gear that results in creative or practical limitations.

b) Buying new equipment is irrational.

c) Talent is like Autotune for timbre.

Actually, since none of these are true at all, I'd really appreciate it if people would stop sticking their noses in the air and saying, "it's the carpenter, not the tools."

People in the audio world are snobs.
"Dude, ***** (insert name of favourite rock legend) would have sounded great with a Radio Shack mic and a Mackie."

"I know, but he still chose to use a U47 didn't he?"

"Dude, if you want to sound like ***** (insert name of favourite rock legend) you need to use ***** (insert name of favourite rock legend.)"

"I know but I haven't got ***** (insert name of favourite rock legend) and I'm just trying to get something in that rough area, this is a gear forum after all."

"Dude you obviously suck, don't you realize its all about the song and also room treatment. By the way I'm selling an M-Box if anyone is interested."
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

it is all true of course.

truths a bear.

you can buy overpriced audio jewelry all you want, but it doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

and actually, OP....your statement seems more snobbish than that you deride. Elitist even. Just my half dollar.
Old 10th November 2010
Quote:

That probably explains why there are so many blind musicians.
Old 10th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h1BZ1D5ixM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKvS6gF12mE

I guess it's true then.
Old 10th November 2010
Every single musician I know is at least partly, and sometimes majorly, unreal.
Old 10th November 2010
Gear Guru

I agree that whole "it's a poor workman who blames his tools" thing is misunderstood by anyone who doesn't use any kind of a tool for their living. A good workman replaces bad tools with good ones. But it doesn't mean that a good workman can overcome the shortcomings of bad tools.
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

That probably explains why there are so many blind musicians.
actually just burst into laughter. I may use this as my first ever signature quote.
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Every single musician I know is at least partly, and sometimes majorly, unreal.
Hey! That's, that's... Oh, yeah.
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
it is all true of course.

truths a bear.

you can buy overpriced audio jewelry all you want, but it doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

and actually, OP....your statement seems more snobbish than that you deride. Elitist even. Just my half dollar.
Nothing like disagreeing out of pure spite.
Old 10th November 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
A good carpenter could carve a piece of art with a small knife out of a tree trunk. Though a good carpenter understands the value of nice equipment to get them to the end result faster and maybe better quality. On the other hand if the carpenter buys a 100K CnC and does not know how to run it then he just bought a very expensive table. What should matter to you is what works for the application you are going for.
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

And a carpenter with a butterknife will butter toast no better than an epileptic. Ponder THAT for a while, eh?
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego View Post
And a carpenter with a butterknife will butter toast no better than an epileptic. Ponder THAT for a while, eh?
Mind = blown.
Old 10th November 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

With the added benefit that the epileptic will also butter the tablecloth, the floor and Aunt Millie's shoes
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
you can buy overpriced audio jewelry all you want, but it doesn't make a damn bit of difference....
Are you serious? Why is it almost every major studio/artist uses the best gear?
Old 10th November 2010
Because: it makes the job easier and quicker. I'm not saying these people are lazy and like being spoiled! Or... am I?
Old 10th November 2010
That whole argument is crap, track some vocals with a great mic, into a Neve and then Cl1b, in a great room, and then tell me that sonically it doesn't sound great. Maybe the singer will suck, but the tracks will suck equally as good, and everyone will be able to hear the suckishness in High definition heh
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Are you serious? Why is it almost every major studio/artist uses the best gear?

something about Pied Pipers and Rats..
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nothing like disagreeing out of pure spite.

No spite, bud. I promise. You've done me no harm.
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Great gear sounds great. That's why its great. SELECT pieces of lo end stuff sounds good, too.
Old 10th November 2010
Quote:
I dunno, wasn't there a thread where someone gave both a carpenter and an epileptic a butter knive and some toast and did a spreading test? I seem to remember that most folks couldn't reliably figure out which one did which slices of toast. Of course, some folks argue that you can't tell the difference until you stack the toast up.
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Its my belief the toast will null and both the epileptic and the carpenter will suddenly disappear.
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
something about Pied Pipers and Rats.
Something about bollocks.
Old 10th November 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I dunno, wasn't there a thread where someone gave both a carpenter and an epileptic a butter knive and some toast and did a spreading test? I seem to remember that most folks couldn't reliably figure out which one did which slices of toast. Of course, some folks argue that you can't tell the difference until you stack the toast up.
Come on Dean that test was with wheat toast which totally changes things with white or rye.
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
"it's the carpenter, not the tools."
To that one I would respond "The greatest carpenter in the world couldn't drive in a nail using a sponge".
Old 11th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
To that one I would respond "The greatest carpenter in the world couldn't drive in a nail using a sponge".

a carpenter could drive nails with any type of hammer though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search