The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Was it all worth it for your music career? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear

Was it all worth it for your music career?

When you look back at everything in your life so far, would you say everything was worth it for your music career? Whether as a recording engineer or indie producer whatever…. If so, what are some personal things that you have learned from your choices in doing this music thing? Was it all worth it-relationships break-ups etc?
If you remember I was into a female I knew a while ago that I worked out with. She is gorgeous… Known her but never talked to her really for five years. I thought she was too conceited. She approached me about working out together at random. To this point I left her alone. I usually give her my workouts. The “I like you” signs were there, but it just didn’t work. I asked her to a movie once and to lunch else and she would say “I could probably do that”. It was always something. She moved an hour away in January. From January-May of this year she has been the one emailing me once a month to check in. This month I emailed her to say hello. Before she moved I never asked if she had a boyfriend. Why? She told she was moving. Plus she kept saying “I could probably do that.” Red flags…..
Today, I have in fact moved on and am not going out my way anymore. She has a personal trainer now where she lives, but still wants to workout with me when she comes to town. I keep my emails short and polite with her. Fast forward…I was in LA at a studio. I was thinking about her a bit and old relationships. When I heard the music I was working on mixed and finished. I said “It was worth it”.

Old 22nd May 2010
Gear Maniac

I dunno if this is what you mean but music and women are hard to juggle...I really want to find a musician chick...or at least I think I do...but the way I look at it is, if a girl can't love me enough to respect how much I need music then she doesn't love me...because music is just who I am...
Old 22nd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the recordist View Post
I dunno if this is what you mean but music and women are hard to juggle...I really want to find a musician chick...or at least I think I do...but the way I look at it is, if a girl can't love me enough to respect how much I need music then she doesn't love me...because music is just who I am...
I used to go out with a girl bass player. Complete fruit lp.
Old 22nd May 2010
Lives for gear

I think that if you're still obsessing over or even thinking about some girl that led you on that you really need to get out more.
Old 22nd May 2010
Lives for gear

I Value my time spent as a Professional Musician, if for nothing else , for learning that , for me, depending on Music(a love of mine since as far back as I can remember) for income, paying the bills... it sucks all the life right out of it. relegating Music to a free time pursuit, for extra income..that is where it is..

With the state of the music business and the recording business the way it is, I see the pursuit of either to be like chasing one's own tail.

There are many, many more people that want to record bands VS Bands that want people to record them.

technology has put equipment in reach, and engineers are less and less in demand.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have never gotten the music degree, would have gotten a "real" degree(the one I am working on now, Arabic Studies/Linguistics) instead, and worked a good job, saved up a lot of money, retired early(like my brother in law, who works at Intel..at age 33 now has enough money saved (and invested) to never work another day in his life), and made music the rest of my days, care free....

although there are some things I would not trade for anything (Traveling with the Original TCB Band as a bass singer, Being on Stage with the Oak Ridge Boys, Ronnie McDowell, being involved in one of the Gaither Videos, singing for the Italian Ambassador and the Polish President while I was moonlighting in the US Army Europe Band, doing session work with some really amazing musicians)...
Old 22nd May 2010

wish I'd stayed in research. But then I'd be wondering about this !..... and likely considerably worse off financially - but then I've been lucky.
Old 23rd May 2010
Lives for gear

NOPE.

I could sell millions of records if luck shined my way, and yet, here I am, on the verge of retiring at any time.

Music has wasted my time, and my money. Yea, I got a lot back personally, but it's not worth it. Not at all.
Old 23rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin James View Post
NOPE.

I could sell millions of records if luck shined my way, and yet, here I am, on the verge of retiring at any time.

Music has wasted my time, and my money. Yea, I got a lot back personally, but it's not worth it. Not at all.
but Darwin, you consider it to be a Ministry, yes? I would think that this aspect of it would far outshine any financial expectations..you are changing lives. (and if there is someone listening to your albums, lives are being changed) Getting Rich and Converting people to Christ are not good bedfellows.
Old 23rd May 2010
Fvck yeah! Worth every penny!
Old 23rd May 2010
Gear Addict

difficuilt

but yeah...

worth it
Old 23rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin James View Post
NOPE.

With all due respect, how do you know you could sell millions of records?
Old 23rd May 2010
Gear Guru

I have loved my life in music. It's, without exception, taken me places I never expected. I continue to love it and I continue to grow. Generally speaking music is like anything else. You get out of it what you put into it. But you have to understand the weights and balances.

The DOING of music sometimes takes years before the fruit begins to bear. But it's the DOING music, not the other stuff. Not the sideline stuff, like women. That's not music. Not the fortune or lack of it, or fame or lack of it. That's not music.
Old 23rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Henry says it well.

I will add that if you spend even one minute dwelling on how many records you could sell if... then you are probably not long for the biz. A good mindset will be concerned with always sounding great and always making those around you sound great.

A lot of the posts on this thread sound like teenage girls dreaming of being star actresses. There is nothing wrong with dreaming but at some point you gotta get real.

- Cheers
Old 23rd May 2010
I don't even have a career in music and I think it was worth it. I think. What was the question again? I'm confused.

I would say though that, no matter how much people talk about how it's the music and how unlikely it is that you will ever get famous or rich or have groupies by the pound, that's STILL on one of the greatest driving forces that push people into being musicians, at least guys anyway. It always has been and probably always will be. It's a way to distinguish yourself from the pack, to be the alpha male in your own particular sphere of influence, to show that you are special and have something to say and to offer.

Even for for folks like me, who are old and cynical enough to know it ain't gonna happen for plenty of obvious reasons, and who love music purely for music's sake, I think it's still there in some subliminal way. The bulk of those great rock-n-roll artists of the past I've heard say the same or similar things about themselves, in terms of what were the core driving forces that pushed them into getting started in music, no matter how great they became ultimately as musicians and loved the art itself.
Old 24th May 2010
Gear Addict

Absolutely worth it.
Old 24th May 2010
Lives for gear

Considering that i still remember (even 25 years later!) what an absolute soul suck my last day job was I'd say yes, totally worth it.
Old 24th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
Getting Rich and Converting people to Christ are not good bedfellows.
why's that?
I never understood the thinking of many christians (or generally speaking religious people) that money or making money is a bad thing and should be avoided.
Of course you can spread God's message AND get rich. If you want to.
Old 24th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Generally speaking music is like anything else. You get out of it what you put into it. But you have to understand the weights and balances.
............sorry Henry but i can't agree there, maybe it's like any other artistic endeavour..................however I know of many, many musicians who are absolutlely dedicated and gifted, their careers are not an accurate reflection of this work. There are so many factors which I think need to be taken into consideration. The area of music you want to work in, natural talent, mental attitude, prepararation, mental and physical health, personal temprament and ego, business sense and integrity,market forces, economics, luck and so on, though maybe this is what you're talking about with reference to weights and balances.........since some of the factors for achieving sucess and fulfillment might be mutually exclusive. Passion and imagination don't always come with a level head, sometimes good business sense contradicts peronal integrity. Sometimes the music business can be a very dark place and some leave it sooner than others. It can be very difficult when other people become involved with the musician on an emotional level. Sure they might want to join you briefly in your quest to help push that enormous boulder up the mountain and often as not you can't blame them for saying "phew I've had enough, i thought this was just a silly old hill " How many times your willing to wave them goodbye and carry on unaffected or alternatively say "your right I'm coming with you" is I guess down to the individual. Facts are I guess, many have died on this treacherous climb and those behind can see the bodies but it doesn't stop them trying to reach the summit.
Old 24th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I never understood the thinking of many christians (or generally speaking religious people) that money or making money is a bad thing and should be avoided.
I believe that he's saying that expecting to get rich THROUGH converting people is not the way to go...not that you can't be (or get) rich and also convert people.
Old 24th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
I believe that he's saying that expecting to get rich THROUGH converting people is not the way to go...not that you can't be (or get) rich and also convert people.
thumbsup
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search