The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ipad......let me here you !! Other Controllers
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Guru

TRS, said it well....
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
TRS, said it well....
Well, I disagree.
The Ipad gives very little at a premium.
Old 13th April 2010
teo
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I've never had a mobile/cellular phone, ever, and don't really want one particularly. I hardly ever use my regular phone, though it is Vonage, so I'm not completely luddite about it.
I'm genuinely curios... how do you manage to live (and work!) in this modern world without a cell phone?
I mean, really, I have my studio phone number on the back of my business card, but people that want to contact me call my phone, and I don't even bother to ask for people's land number.
I'd be dead without a mobile.

So, out of curiosity, how do you manage?
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
No, I think you're missing the point.
Obviously yo're not aware that Windows 7 was designed with touchscreens in mind.
And that the slate is not a netbook.
No, you're still missing the point. Windows 7’s multitouch support is a last minute hack, and simply can not compare to an operating system that has been built from the ground up with finger navigability in mind.

Also, HP Slate runs an Intel Atom processor which would be just fine if it was being driven by a custom touchscreen OS like the iPhone OS, but instead it runs Windows 7, which runs chunkily at best on netbook processors and has a long way to go as a multitouch-driven OS.

HP can make all the custom interfacing it wants, but unless it can automagically add multitouch support to every Windows 7 application, there’s no way that using an HP Slate will be as easy as using an iPad. The iPhone and iPad apps are written assuming multitouch as the primary user interface; Windows 7’s touch features are largely a way to compensate for the absence of the keyboard-and-mouse configuration for which the OS and its applications were designed. That’s not a trivial detail – it’s a crucial point in comparing the user experience between the two devices. If HP just slaps on a quick-fix version of HP TouchSmart onto Windows 7, the slate will be dead in the water.
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese View Post
oh BTW... slate also has support for a pen, iPad doesn't.
oh BTW... iPad DOES have support for a pen. The Pogo Sketch being one example.
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Noggin, you are aware that windows. 7 was designed with touch capabilities as one If Its major features, right?
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I understand what you're saying but the joke about missing out on three years... I mean, there's something to that. I bought a pretty early iPod. They subsequently replaced that model with several models with a lot more features and memory, etc.

And yeah, I've replaced it now with the more modern models. But I don't regret buying it. I had a lot of fun with it while I had it!

- c

still rocking my original ipod 20g. wav files only. firewire interface/charger.

still the best model..in my opinion.

definitely got my $$ worth out of it.

funny to watch the faces of young bands when they see it..."dude...is that a VINTAGE ipod ?"

9 years old. vintage. i'm old.

best,

jch
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Noggin, you are aware that windows. 7 was designed with touch capabilities as one If Its major features, right?
Windows 7's touch screen feature is a combination of the old pen-centric Tablet PC and the hand/finger-centric Surface Table. Many, if not most, of the feature remain pen-centric. Finger-tip touch control is an afterthought at best and simply ignored at worst, as already evidenced by netbooks with touchscreens running Windows 7.

But let’s say the Slate’s touch interface wasn’t a hack, what about the applications you’re going to run on the slate? What good is it gonna do you that the OS is “touch friendly” if the software running on it, isn’t? How will these Windows tablets handle multitouch in MS programs like IE, Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint etc. ? Not to mention all the non-MS Windows programs?

Touch or no touch you need a virus scanner, and this thing is going to be slOOOOOOOOOw.
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

You really need to buy the iPad if you want the features of an iPad. Mine was a gift from my wife and I peronally had no intentions of purchasing one ever. Then I spent a day with it and realized it sits right between my droid and my notebook. That's what it was suppose to do and it does that great.

I can answer emails anywhere I go on a realistic size screen, control my daw from any place in the building and take it to a meeting and do everything I need to do. Slow typing? Yup.....until u get use to it. I could not use the keyboard on my droid for a few days. Then I got use to it. It's not that complicated. I still carry my phone but this is also in my backpack. I no longer take my laptop anywhere. It was a great purchase and I am glad my wife brought them home.

Friday I actually created a track for a client and recorded the vocals....all on my iPad. If you need an in-between then give it a try. Will there be better features in the future? Duh. That how the game works with all technology. Either sit and wait or get what you need at the moment. When they come out with the camera version I see no need to upgrade. I don't know a single per on that video chats and if you are expecting to take print quality pics from a handheld device then wakeup and buy the devise that is designed to do that. If you just want to send pecker pics to the lady next door then use your cell Phone. That's what I do.

Sent from my iPad
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

And......
Went to verizon today and picked up a palm pixie with mifi built in. The phone was 30 and I added the line for 10. After it was done I'm in for another 30$ per month and ALL of the ipads/notebooks can get online. No AT&T. Keep watching verizon for unlimited mifi plans cheap.
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noggin View Post
Windows 7's touch screen feature is a combination of the old pen-centric Tablet PC and the hand/finger-centric Surface Table. Many, if not most, of the feature remain pen-centric. Finger-tip touch control is an afterthought at best and simply ignored at worst, as already evidenced by netbooks with touchscreens running Windows 7.

But let’s say the Slate’s touch interface wasn’t a hack, what about the applications you’re going to run on the slate? What good is it gonna do you that the OS is “touch friendly” if the software running on it, isn’t? How will these Windows tablets handle multitouch in MS programs like IE, Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint etc. ? Not to mention all the non-MS Windows programs?

Touch or no touch you need a virus scanner, and this thing is going to be slOOOOOOOOOw.
A friend of mine 3 years ago purchased a touch screen monitor and easily integrated it with Pro-Tools on his Mac.

Funny you're convinced how slow it's going to be.
Somebody just stated how much faster Windows 7 runs on his Mac than OSX.
Old 14th April 2010
Gear Addict

this , will have all i need and want for a tablet :

ExoPC - Comparing the ExoPC Slate to the competition

i'm very happy with my itouch 8go but ipad is a huge deception for me, and i'm pretty sure touch osc, midipad like software will come pretty soon on exopc slate, if not already here.

even the HP slate seems underpowered compare to the exopc tablet

the + :
larger display, more powerfull CPU, more powerfull graphic chip, 2 usb port, hdmi out, sd card reader, flash support, a true w7 os (64 bit support with the atom n450 CPU), 2GO ram, SSD 32/64 go, flash support , apps store too but you are free to install what you want, no itunes obligation, the price.

the - :
half autonomy compare to ipad in theory.

i find my next tool/toy i think heh
Old 17th April 2010
Gear Nut

I love my macbook...but I'm really just not interested in anything with a touch screen...
Old 2nd May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sorry, but the HP Slate is much cooler.
It has a front AND back camera, so you can use it as a camera and video conferencing.
Also, amongst other things It has a USB port, a standard SIM slot, Video out, and memory card slot, to add memory.

And it's less money than the iPad.
And it hasFlash for webbrowsing.
And it multitasks.
Sorry but the HP Slate never existed and now it's dead:
Hewlett-Packard To Kill Windows 7 Tablet Project
Old 2nd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noggin View Post
Sorry but the HP Slate never existed and now it's dead:
Hewlett-Packard To Kill Windows 7 Tablet Project
yeah.
that's too bad.
Bit it does'nt mean it wont be released with a different OS
Old 2nd May 2010
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
still rocking my original ipod 20g. wav files only. firewire interface/charger.

still the best model..in my opinion.

definitely got my $$ worth out of it.

funny to watch the faces of young bands when they see it..."dude...is that a VINTAGE ipod ?"

9 years old. vintage. i'm old.

best,

jch

lol heh

Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

If they added some kind of lid and a keyboard it would be perfect.
Old 3rd May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sorry, but the HP Slate is much cooler.
It has a front AND back camera, so you can use it as a camera and video conferencing.
Also, amongst other things It has a USB port, a standard SIM slot, Video out, and memory card slot, to add memory.

And it's less money than the iPad.
And it hasFlash for webbrowsing.
And it multitasks.
Sign of the times, something is cooler simply because it crams in more stuff.
The fact is not everyone evaluates on this basis alone, the HP may be a nice gadget but let the public decide in numbers sold.
I remember when we all wanted front facing cameras on mobile phones it was a must yet I still cant recall seeing anyone actually using it.
Its like this there are those who dont get iPad and dont want one, there are those who get iPad and dont want one.
Then there are those who do get iPad and will buy one! and that doesnt have to mean that they are part of some weird cult or be some blind follower
Old 3rd May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbakron View Post
Its really not that much cheaper than a Laptop. Unless you ride on the train 4 hrs a day and have a small bag, I dont see it taking off!!!
1 million!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20th October 2010
Gear Guru

Well I took the plunge and got one a few weeks back, if I could take it back I would but then again I would miss it, not worth 500 bucks though, I think its super if you are going out using a wifi (not at home) vacation etc. I use my ipad but there is nothing as quick as a mouse, ipad is great for games, movies, photos, email is prefect and using it on GS as well, but if I am on a serious search mission I must have the laptop. btw the wife likes reading on it.
It does have a monster battery, I charge about every 3 days.
Also I picked up a track pad, love it in the studio but still use a mouse as well.
I love my iphone but hate the fu*king service, now after just replacing a new iphone I'm told I will have to buy another to use with Verizon.
If Apple was not so damn good I would call it quits.
I am tried of there products that come out every full moon. They are money making fools for sure.
Darn this turn into the moan zone somewhat, sorry off topic here.
Go buy a Ipad if you got lose change.
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

I can see the iPad revolutionizing sheet music. Imagine the conductor of a high school orchestra with his master iPad. The players all have slave iPads. The conductor taps the corner of his iPad and the sheet music on the page turns to the next page, as do all the iPads in the orchestra. No more page turning! No more folders filled with music. It's all on the iPad!

Imagine you're in a cover band, doing requests. You, the band leader, have all the lyrics to all the songs in the world stored in your iPad. You get a $50 request from the audience for "Tie a Yellow Ribbon." You slit your wrists, right there on stage. LOL. No you don't. You select the song off the alphabetical list, and the horrible, sappy lyrics appear. The bass player with the slave iPad gets the chart for the song in his favorite format - numbers, or chords. The horn players get the horn charts for the song. ("Tie a Yellow Ribbon" with horns? Now we're talking!)

Or maybe you're in a showcase band, doing original material, and you have a couple of ringers in the band who need charts. The charts appear when the leader taps the song title. The leader also has a set list that he can change on the fly by dragging songs around with his finger. Everyone in the band knows what song is coming next because it's there on their slave iPads.

Or maybe you're doing a little single or duo gig. The iPad could display the lyrics for you while running a midi file that not only plays the rhythm section parts, it also triggers the light show. Plus, there's a "jokes" tab so you can fill dead air with fake spontaneous stage patter.

Or taking it into the political arena, the iPad could display talking points for a speech. Tap a keyword and a bunch of anecdotes pop up, all followed by the phrase "you betcha!". No more writing on your hand! No more embarrassing brain freezes like our fabulous Governor Brewer demonstrated a couple of weeks ago. I'm telling you, this could revolutionize politics, making it possible for any clueless dimbulb to run for office...... Oh wait, that's already happening.

Nevermind.
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

Some feedback here:

Pluses:
Great as a wireless touch screen controller for Logic, Protools etc... (this is now my main "home" controller with N.I Kore 2).
Great for reading PDFs, sheet music etc...
Nice for quick internet browsing, checking emails, Facebook, Youtube etc...
Great to use in the toilet for number 2 (seriously, don't laugh) :P
Loads of nice + neat cheap music applications.
Long battery life, charges fast with the external plug.

Minus:
Underpowered, expensive and limited compared to a laptop.
Internet browser does NOT support the Flash plugin - Shame on you Steve Job!

Conclusion:
I bought it to replace my Mackie Control/Mc Mix (previously) and I am happy with it, never looked back. If I didn't have the Kore 2 I bought have considered getting a second one.

If you don't need a controller, I'd say don't buy one unless you are feeling rich.

Get the cheaper model without 3G, you can hooked to the internet via cheaper + faster alternatives AND without having to sign a contract, Pay as you Go for instance (Google it).
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.sicilian View Post
Great as a wireless touch screen controller for Logic, Protools etc... (this is now my main "home" controller with N.I Kore 2)
Which applications do you use for Logic?

Also, um... what is wifi, and do I need it? heh (Don't say Google is my friend, cause it isn't.)
Old 20th October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post

Also, um... what is wifi, and do I need it? heh (Don't say Google is my friend, cause it isn't.)
iPad + Logic + TouchOSC = HOLY CRAP! « Sonic Gore
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

btw,

HEAR and HERE

and THEY'RE, THEIR, and THERE ...each has a unique function..not interchangeable..
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post

I use ProRemote.

Wifi is what you use to connect wireless to the internet.

Portable devices use 3G to go on line.
3G is more expensive + you need a contract and apparently it's limited in speed and/or bandwidth.

You can instead get a small battery powered wifi box + a USB pay as you go modem stick and go online wireless anywhere, it's cheaper, you don't need a contract, and it's faster apparently...
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

Hate to defend Apple but there is no contract for the iPad 3G connection; at least not in the US.
Old 21st October 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian! View Post
Hate to defend Apple but there is no contract for the iPad 3G connection; at least not in the US.
Thats true.
Old 21st October 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
btw,

HEAR and HERE

and THEY'RE, THEIR, and THERE ...each has a unique function..not interchangeable..
LOL not if here is over yonder instead of over there.
Old 21st October 2010
Gear Addict

My iPad has completely replaced my laptop for general computing. When I want to check email, watch YouTube, browse the internet, or play time-waster games I use my iPad.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search