The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If you combine Taylor Swift + Mutt Lange ....
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Taylor Swift + Butch Vig = Garbage 3.0

I'd listen to it.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Which productions of his are with people who can't really sing?
everyone he has produced can really sing I think Lou Gramm is one of the best rock singers ever
as was Bon Scott I don't really like Bryan Adams but he can sing The Cars could actually sing too......... Just listen to their first record

Mutt himself can sing great. Who do you think does most of the background vocals?

Mutt made 95% of his records before autotune existed so I don't know why anyone would even bring autotune up?

face the facts, 2 of the best pure rock records ever were recorded by mutt. So he likes things other records polished? what's wrong with that? If all records were raw it would be pretty boring for most AEs

I can't think of any rock records better than HIH or BIB and they are very very natural and organic sounding, If you see AC/DC live they sound just like the records, just louder
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Maniac

he's a phenomenal producer which is why i'm musing about what would happen if you combine someone with his talents with someone like taylor swift, who is the only one who seems to sell records anymore
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Freddie mercury=best singer ever
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
"Tut's wang"? "Maylor's lift"?
How about Dire Straits and Chris Rea?
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
How about Dire Straits and Chris Rea?
Dire Rea?
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

i guess that's why she's so successful, huh?

sort of like wendy's? heh

different strokes...

Being successful does NOT guarantee an absence of suckage....
Old 30th March 2010
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51recording View Post
Being successful does NOT guarantee an absence of suckage....

my point is - it's only YOUR opinion.

and you're a freeking engineer. how many records do YOU buy?

her fans are the ones buying the records.

and THEY'RE the ONES who DON'T think she sucks.

they proably don't even CARE if she sucks.

and they certainly don't care what YOU think.

so who gives a **** that YOU think she sucks?

you're obviously NOT her audience.

this is pointless...i feel like i'm ten years old in this discussion.

Old 30th March 2010
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
everyone he has produced can really sing I think Lou Gramm is one of the best rock singers ever
as was Bon Scott I don't really like Bryan Adams but he can sing The Cars could actually sing too......... Just listen to their first record

Mutt himself can sing great. Who do you think does most of the background vocals?

Mutt made 95% of his records before autotune existed so I don't know why anyone would even bring autotune up?

face the facts, 2 of the best pure rock records ever were recorded by mutt. So he likes things other records polished? what's wrong with that? If all records were raw it would be pretty boring for most AEs

I can't think of any rock records better than HIH or BIB and they are very very natural and organic sounding, If you see AC/DC live they sound just like the records, just louder

great post.

plus fukkin' ten.

mutt friggin rocks. his records are amazing.

and whatever production style he does - he does right.

but hey, i respect people who are into other stuff -
whatever floats your boat!

classical, jazz, indie rock, grindcore, shoegaze, poetry - it's all good.

not everyone likes big hit pop radio vibe.

Old 30th March 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

Im beginning to like Taylor...my kids listen to it all the time, nothing wrong with it unless you are out of date or cant make the music heh
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

If you combine Ms. Swift w/ Mr. Lange

It would probably sound great, but I still wouldn't buy it. The thread about such an album here (on gearslutz) would probably be very long and repetitious, though.

Cheers,
++aldo
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMosca View Post
It would probably sound great, but I still wouldn't buy it. The thread about such an album here (on gearslutz) would probably be very long and repetitious, though.

Cheers,
++aldo
i imagine it would be a very educational album, as far as production/engineering goes
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

then we get into classical and jazz, and it's a whole different universe. though, again - these singers are not usually battling walls of marshall stacks and drummers beating the **** out of their kits.

I once had the experience of sitting in the front row in a cavernous hall with an opera singer up on the stage at least thirty feet away. He was so loud it hurt my ears. Incredible.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath|Audio View Post
Taylor Swift + Butch Vig = Garbage 3.0

I'd listen to it.
Have you ever seen Garbage live?

Don't underestimate Shirley, man . . .
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbieinstein View Post
I once had the experience of sitting in the front row in a cavernous hall with an opera singer up on the stage at least thirty feet away. He was so loud it hurt my ears. Incredible.
This is precisely why opera has sucked since the last century! People over projecting, creating artificial tone to fill oversized halls. Opera was not originally played in halls that size and the singers were much better (and better off) off for it. As the halls got bigger and the maestro (a non-holistic, mechanical) system of teaching really took over we went from the mastery of Caruso, Irmgaard and Bjorling to the non-expressive bellowing of Pavarotti and his ilk. Sad.

Anyway sorry for the OT...
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

i guess that's why she's so successful, huh?

sort of like wendy's? heh

different strokes...

Sorry but I don't see how monetary success and fame have to do with the quality of the music.
Her success does not validate her as a legitimate artist
Old 3rd April 2010
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbieinstein View Post

Yes. that is indeed real singing.

whole different ball of wax.

i've worked with tons of singers like this.

Old 3rd April 2010
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hughes View Post
Sorry but I don't see how monetary success and fame have to do with the quality of the music.
Her success does not validate her as a legitimate artist

dude, you don't get it.

it's not about MONETARY success.

it's PURELY about what different people want, and what different people expect.

we can argue all day long about what constitutes real art, and we will get nowhere, because:
a. the average consumer has little to no education when it comes to art
and
b. taste is 100% subjective.

so the point is, most of the masses could care less about 'real art' - about the consructs, techniques, attached philosophies, education, etc. - they usually just want to dance, or hear about somebody who got fukked over - because it reminds them of their own ****ty day, etc.

it's the whole package that sells - whether disney to a kid, wagner to a trained serious musician, or wendy's french fries to a drunk gas station attendent.

it doesn't matter that much. so don't take it so seriously. 1,000 years ago, there were minstrels and bards who sang the songs of the day. they weren't necessarily trained the way some of the more seriously trained monks were trained in the churches, etc., but they served their purpose, and made people happy with what they did - told stories, recited home-made simple poetry, etc. - just like taylor swift does with her pop stuff.

you can shake your butt to michael jackson. and does it really matter whether he lip-synched to some backing tracks while he entertained you with his moonwalk? i mean, seriously, who gives a fukk.

or maybe you prefer rimsky-korsakov or milton babbitt.

it's all good.

different strokes, for different folks.....at different times.

so as far as 'legitimate' artists goes, i think this whole thing is silly.

...you're saying def leppard is more legitimate?

why, because they used more hair spray?

people in the pop and rock music industries mostly don't care.

if they really cared that much, they'd be listening to einstein's white papers.

it's freekin' pop music, for cryin' out loud.

most artists are simply not frank zappa, king crimson; emmerson, lake and palmer; or prince.

but again...this is my taste - and totally subjective.

i still like taylor swift's records - although i would never go see her live...yikes.

i simply don't expect her to be imogen heap or peter gabriel or gonzalo rubalcaba or nusrat fateh ali khan.

i accept her for what she is. a teen bubble gum country pop star.

and she's great at it.

Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

my point is - it's only YOUR opinion.

and you're a freeking engineer. how many records do YOU buy?

her fans are the ones buying the records.

and THEY'RE the ONES who DON'T think she sucks.

they proably don't even CARE if she sucks.

and they certainly don't care what YOU think.

so who gives a **** that YOU think she sucks?

you're obviously NOT her audience.

this is pointless...i feel like i'm ten years old in this discussion.

That's right, MY opinion, which I'm entitled to every bit as much as her fans, and IN my opinion, she sucks. Large.

How 'bout chilling out fer Christ sake
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

I wonder what Mutt's opinion would be on this thread topic? I'm sure we'll never know but I wonder...
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin-gear View Post
I wonder what Mutt's opinion would be on this thread topic? I'm sure we'll never know but I wonder...
i have no idea but i don't doubt it would probably be one of his most successful albums, sales-wise
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scud133 View Post
i have no idea but i don't doubt it would probably be one of his most successful albums, sales-wise
Yes, I agree. Mutt has a very long and proven track record. Like her or not, Taylor is only at the beginning of her career and is also quite successful commercially. Together they probably would make a (another) fortune.
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
If you team up Taylor Swift and Mutt Lange, what would you get?

the ultimate pop album?

would it surpass Thriller??

Sorry but Shania Twain and Mutt Lange was the ultimate team.
I don't think any TAylor Swift album with Mutt would even come close to the success of a Shania and Mutt collaboration.
Shania's Come on Over album with Mutt sold almost 40 million worldwide alone.
That is the closest you will even get thriller.

As far as Taylor Swift. People get tired of an artist once they are shoved and forced on to them for too long.
I suspect we will get the new flavor in country pop next year because people want a new thing.

What Shania and Mutt had together was very special. They were groundbreaking and took country pop music to its largest audience ever worldwide. I don't think any artist will ever close to that again.

I think if Shania comes back with a new album soon it will bet the biggest album of the decade.
She will have to break her own record for biggest female album of alltime but that won't happen because nobody sells those numbers anymore, not even a new Shania album will break her own record.
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
I don't think it would be one of his most successful albums sales wise.
It may sell well for todays market but certainly not even come close to the massive sales of Shania or ACDC albums.
Not just because of the market today and downloading but because it wouldn't be anything new. When Mutt came to country and teamed with Shania that was new and never seen before and it came at the right time.
Thats why it was so groundbreaking and huge.

Just like Mutt's collaboration with Nickelback. The album he did with nickelback last year wasn't their best seller because they already had their sound and their identity. In fact Dark Horse album he did with Nickelback probably isn't even in Nickelbacks top 3 selling albums.
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex100 View Post
The album he did with nickelback last year wasn't their best seller because they already had their sound and their identity.

True, any measure of any song will reveal the totality of that sound. heh

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Old 16th April 2010
Gear Maniac

uggh nickelback
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex100 View Post
Shania's Come on Over album with Mutt sold almost 40 million worldwide alone.
Oddly enough, 'Back in Black' is a distant second at 49 Million and 'Dark Side of the Moon' is third at 48 Million.

Shania just missed the top 10.
Old 16th April 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Go to Greece, you'll see way skinnier dogs than this. It's skinny by "American" standards.
Now days 250 lbs is skinny by American standards! The girls also have to ware shirts that say sexy or Juicy on them with their gut hanging out!heh
Old 16th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath|Audio View Post
Oddly enough, 'Back in Black' is a distant second at 49 Million and 'Dark Side of the Moon' is third at 48 Million.

Shania just missed the top 10.
She's in the Top 10 for US sales:

RIAA - Gold & Platinum - April 16, 2010 highest woman on there

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumd...able=tblTopArt <-- and check that out... she's got 48m sales and U2 has 51.5m .... that's shocking that she could surpass U2 whenever her next record comes out
Old 16th April 2010
Gear Head

yeah but Shania hasn't put out a studio album since 2002 and could of even had more sales if she did something in the last decade.
Now she is teaming up with Oprah on Oprahs network to do a documentary series of her marriage breakup and how she is moving on.
That is kind of odd for her to do since she used to be so private and reclusive.Or maybe it was Mutt Lange who kept her reclusive and now Shania is being herself and more public.
But anyway I just wish she would concentrate on new music and start recording already.
I really loved the music Shania and Mutt made together but I hope Shania can create some great music of her own very soon.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search