The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just because you can sing in tune DOES NOT make you a good singer Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 22nd March 2010
Just because you can sing in tune DOES NOT make you a good singer

It's another day in my car fetching some thing at the store and I pop on my radio and I'm grimly reminded of the recent Auto Tuned nightmarish over repetative kiddy hits of today.... And I think to my self.... Wow, I know im 40 , but not out of touch... I mean, I AM a producer, full time and understand GIMMICKS sell... but, While there are a "few" good singers on the radio today ( and that's pretty sad that I even have to say that), When are people going to wake up and see just because you can sing a note pretty well or stay in tune doesnt make you a GREAT singer. Yeah I know, It's MY opionion, but really? is it?..Im Hearing Rhianna, Swift, Averil, etc... and wondered what theyre records would sound like without Melodyne or Auto Tune... Did anyone notice when T Swift sang nect to Stevie Nicks at the grammys, Stevie although rough, was S000 in tune naturally?... and Swift was embarassing... period?... I miss Annie Lennox, Tina Turner, Peter Gabriel?.. even 90's Rock was killer...at least they could sing?..
Old 22nd March 2010
But are you a pop producer or no? If you don't produce pop music, listening to the radio will make you seem out of touch heh
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear
Your first mistake was listening to commercial radio in 2010.
Old 22nd March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
Your first mistake was listening to commercial radio in 2010.
Agreed!
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:

This is very true! I was at a Karaoke bar last night. There are often people that can sing quite well, perfectly in tune, but just have bad sounding voices.
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
There are often people that can sing quite well, perfectly in tune, but just have bad sounding voices.
^^^ i'm that guy, i can sing well, it just sounds bad. haha.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Lots of 'good singers' lack expression. They think that if they sound loud and in tune they are 'good singers'. Expression is king.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

So what do you prefer.

1) An exceptional good but out of tune voice
2) An exceptional in tune but bad voice.

?
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
So what do you prefer.

?
The one with the most emotional impact. The one you want to hear again after hearing it the first time.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
The one with the most emotional impact. The one you want to hear again after hearing it the first time.
Probably a combination of the two thenheh
Old 24th March 2010
Here for the gear

"An exceptional good but out of tune voice" would not be a very good voice would it?

One phenom I've been hearing lately is the slurred, lazy, "I'm so cool I don't even have to articulate the lyrics to this tune and it will sell" style of singing. This is the new "mushmouth" style of vocalist. There is more than one out there, I believe. It is just horrible and irritating. Must be popular though. I suppose we can look for "auto-pronounce" on the shelves soon.

hahahaha
Old 24th March 2010
I trace it all back to the "nasal, whiny vaguely English" singers who started appearing in the late 80's... rather than a forceful, vibrato-ey, rolling kind of voice, they were all about packing all the annoyance they could into even the briefest lines.

All downhill from there...
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
I trace it all back to the "nasal, whiny vaguely English" singers who started appearing in the late 80's... rather than a forceful, vibrato-ey, rolling kind of voice, they were all about packing all the annoyance they could into even the briefest lines.

All downhill from there...

You don't like Howard Jones?
Old 24th March 2010
Oh, it's very probable I like people I've never heard of... it's the ones I'm familiar with that I detest.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Oh, it's very probable I like people I've never heard of... it's the ones I'm familiar with that I detest.
I'm sure you know him. heh

Old 24th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I'm sure you know him. heh
Oh, right, right... well, that's not what I mean, he's got a "breathiness" and a Bowie-esque phrasing that makes up for his lack of tone and resonance.

It's probably more The Cure and their ilk I'm bitching about-- singers who only glancingly acknowledge any melody line-- and are damn proud of it!
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Speaking of a combination of both great voices that are in tune with a hint of breathiness, these are two of my favorite :

Old 25th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Speaking of a combination of both great voices that are in tune with a hint of breathiness, these are two of my favorite :
Loggins is one of my favorite singers. Nobody better. thumbsup
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

I used to think singing was fairly easy. I mean, sing in tune with half decent phrasing. Boy was I wrong. All of these vocal education and vocal pedagogy classes I have to take to get my music education degree have really opened my eyes. People who can sing well are really gifted people.
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUtubadude View Post
I used to think singing was fairly easy. I mean, sing in tune with half decent phrasing. Boy was I wrong. All of these vocal education and vocal pedagogy classes I have to take to get my music education degree have really opened my eyes. People who can sing well are really gifted people.
It takes a gift AND lots and lots of practice. I have been spending a lot of time honing my vocal skills.

The real key, asuming you have the talent, can sing in tune, and have a halfway decent sounding voice, is striking the proper balance of adding a lot of emotional impact without sounding schlocky. Not a small feat.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

singer

Just because you can't cause goosebumps doesn't mean you aren't worthy of distribution. LOOKS are way more important to me heh......
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
So what do you prefer.

?

It blows my mind that both aren't a requirement.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

OKAY there was this Girl in TEXAS Great Pich, awesome technique Technically awesome... but the ACTUAL SOUND OF HER VOICE was like nails on a chalkboard! it was well scary!
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Maniac

...agreed, BUT IT SURE HELPS!

I can't stand completely tone-death so-called (self-proclaimed) "singers".
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I like this arrangement of the song MUCH better than the record.

If you've ever seen Kenny Loggins do "Forever" live, it's a real treat. When I saw him do it, I was hoping he would bring Lukather out for the guitar solo at the end of the song but, still, a real treat. Knocked the audience on its collective ass.

Laser
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Maniac

What do you think of this for emotional expression, superb intonation and a great sounding voice?

Old 29th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampex 354 View Post
What do you think of this for emotional expression, superb intonation and a great sounding voice?

Ok ok but there's a limit in everything lol. It's ok to be believable, don't have to overdo it either, or else it's annoying and obnoxious. You don't want to make the listener feel uncomfortable either. I certainly did.
Old 2nd April 2010
I think a lot of people don't perceive minor aspects of tuning and time in vocals, they just think one thing sounds good and one sounds bad. An "in tune" vocal does not mean it's dead on a scale, it means that the pitch over time works musically with the song. I've noticed when editing that a slightly off-time vocal phrase or word can make it seem out of tune, when really it's slightly out of time, and the pitch dynamic doesn't work musically with the song.

That being said, I believe that pitch-over-time (the unseverable union of the two) is the thing that is most important in being a professional singer. How you focus your chest, throat, and mouth resonance is probably what contributes most to the timbre or "emotion" of a performance.
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Nut

Even great professional singers forget overtime how to sound like they used to. They end up taking vocal classes. It's also a fragile instrument, Whitney is history.
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Is this thread about Garrison Keillor?

Ugh!! I love old-style radio shows, but he insists on singing, and he really can't.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search