The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
People who hate pop music (becuase of the name Pop) Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 18th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapsmith9 View Post
ok then tantrum, lets see any evidence of your any criticism of any version of modern pop. my motto is : excercise your critical faculties. use them or lose them. you now claim you have excercised them. i see no proof. im not trolling, but maybe you are lying and are really scared to bash the trash.
Quote:
ok then tantrum, lets see any evidence of your any criticism of any version of modern pop. my motto is : excercise your critical faculties. use them or lose them. you now claim you have excercised them. i see no proof. im not trolling, but maybe you are lying and are really scared to bash the trash.
Proof? As in, where's my bile-filled rant about the Black Eyed Peas kinda proof?

That's too funny. That would require me to give a **** about them.

Kid - your profile says you're a student so I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that I'm, minimum, ten years older than you, so don't be offended - but kid, it's like this:

Every minute you spend getting your drawers in a knot about something you dislike is a minute you could spend listening to - or creating!!! - something that uplifts, inspires, and energizes you.

There is loads of music that I think is lame, or doesn't measure up, or what have you, but I tend not to rant about it because that is a FOOLISH AND LUDICROUS WASTE of the mental and physical energy which I need for other things.

I've been working 7 days a week for almost a year now - right this second, I'm grading test papers for a small college where I teach Pro Tools. When that's done, I'm taking 90 minutes to tweak a remix that I'm working on for one of my electronic music idols, someone with whom I'm trying to build a working relationship, so I can send him a rough draft. Then I'm crashing so I can give more exams tomorrow. Later this coming week I'll be finishing a project for a client I've been making music with/for for nearly a decade. And on, and on, and on.

You are in the angry-young-man phase of your development. I get that. It's crucial, necessary for the growth of a personal musical aesthetic.

But you are talking to someone who thinks that endless invective about things he doesn't care for isn't just silly (and wasteful), it's a genuine path to misery and despair after a certain age. "Bashing the trash" is a young man's sport. But over time you'll find that it makes you no friends and does you no favors, and when you meet people in their forties who are unable to silence their inner critic for even a few minutes, well: those people are insufferable and live in a hell of their own creation.

Good luck with your musical pursuits, and I'm not being sarcastic.

But please learn to relax. Music doesn't cure cancer, or save babies from burning buildings. Your taste and the taste of other are not matters of life and death, and the sooner you learn that, the happier you'll be.
Old 18th April 2011
Lives for gear

tantrum, youre being way too focused on me and are habitually launching ad hominems. look at how many times people post a new thread about the supposed latest and greatest pop song. 3 recent examples : gaga's born this way, britney's latest, and j-lo's latest. all glowingly praised by the OP's. the OP and others are inevitably SHOCKED when someone DARES to criticize the song they are blindly promoting. as if theres nothing but pure artistic and musical perfection of the highest order there. all i and others are doing (including you apparently, but you wont prove it) are excercising our right to criticize the song. ........ its about 2 segments of humanity : 1) the sheep blindly embracing the latest pop-crap nugget and 2) those who will not conform to the trendy adulation and refuse to repress their critical faculties wrt the songs specific elements. if you actually are on side with 2) in many cases, you might as well stop demonizing me as if im an out-of-line sinner. im not doing anything wrong.
Old 18th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
tantrum, youre being way too focused on me and are habitually launching ad hominems. look at how many times people post a new thread about the supposed latest and greatest pop song. 3 recent examples : gaga's born this way, britney's latest, and j-lo's latest. all glowingly praised by the OP's. the OP and others are inevitably SHOCKED when someone DARES to criticize the song they are blindly promoting. as if theres nothing but pure artistic and musical perfection of the highest order there. all i and others are doing (including you apparently, but you wont prove it) are excercising our right to criticize the song. ........ its about 2 segments of humanity : 1) the sheep blindly embracing the latest pop-crap nugget and 2) those who will not conform to the trendy adulation and refuse to repress their critical faculties wrt the songs specific elements. if you actually are on side with 2) in many cases, you might as well stop demonizing me as if im an out-of-line sinner. im not doing anything wrong.
I'm telling you that the false dichotomy you present is just that, a false dichotomy. The two groups you present don't actually exist.
Old 18th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum The Cat View Post
I'm telling you that the false dichotomy you present is just that, a false dichotomy. The two groups you present don't actually exist.
youre totally in denial. those groups definitely exist. but you close your eyes to them. eg. britney and gaga released their latest lame, crappy garbage and hypesters show up (on GS and every other forum) blindly praising them. in response, justifiably harsh criticisms of the 'work' follow. there is also a neutral 3rd group on the sidelines. (note how i never actually claimed there were ONLY 2 groups). .......................what DOESNT exist is the implied false choice you laid out earlier about EITHER criticizing modern pop crap OR working on ones art. one can and will do both (im currently spending 30-40 minutes per day criticizing pop crap and its emotionally FUELLING my art. it gets me going. gets me motivated to out-do the pop-crap). millions of other critical artists are now doing the same. did pat metheney bashing kenny g really hurt is art or reduce his productivity ? no. artists need to vent. so does the general public. so much for your theories, false accusations and denials.
Old 18th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
youre totally in denial. those groups definitely exist. but you close your eyes to them.
On the street in your mind.

I'll leave you to it. Enjoy.
Old 18th April 2011
Lives for gear

leave ME to it ? as if im the only one bashing the pop-crap trash ? cmon. but it WOULD be nice if you didnt try to mute the critical crowd so much. it would be an act of liberty, this new 'leave you to it' approach.
Old 18th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
leave ME to it ? as if im the only one bashing the pop-crap trash ? cmon. but it WOULD be nice if you didnt try to mute the critical crowd so much. it would be an act of liberty, this new 'leave you to it' approach.
"I'll leave you to it" = "Knock yourself out."

Bash whatever you like, whenever you like. No one is "muting" anyone - even if I had the "power" to "silence" anyone here, I still wouldn't.

But just as you're free to critique things, others are free to tell you that they think you're full of ****. That's how freedom of expression works.

So enjoy. But we're done here.
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

thanks for the green light. i appreciate it.
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks for the green light. i appreciate it.
:::snore:::
Old 12th May 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by complex View Post
(Supposedly cool) person says it crap so all his little followers say it rubbish with out giving it a chance? what your thought on why some many people frown apon pop music ?
people like rebbeca black and justin bieber should be the answer.
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

There is no comparison between the two as far as vocal ability, bad example

TH
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
If you have any dead spots in a pop song, you're cooked.
Just a pop song? I think a good many of us here know what a dead spot in song sounds like regardless of the genre, and you think pop producers are the only ones to have that figured out? Quite the contrary, my friend. To be right honest, top 40 has been a dead spot since 1975. Truly surface level music full of pretence, and usually bad emulations of something else. A good one comes along from time to time, but seemingly less and less.

There is sooooo much great music out there that will never be top 40 or considered pop because it is not made for sheeple, which is what pop has reduced itself to on the most part. It subscribes itself in large part to game theory, ie making the safest choice to generate the most possible revenue. Not that that's all bad, its just watered down to a proven template.

I suppose if that's what you want I can't argue with on your personal taste. Not trying to. I just have a tough time personally with creating mountains of carbon copy plastique crap.

Sent from my LS670 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 14th May 2011
Gear Maniac

My only issue with pop, as funny as it sounds, is that it's too successful lol. By that I mean that as a long time rap and hip hop listener I've seen rap/hip hop change over the last decade from being it's own pure genre, whether it's east coast lyricism, west coast hyphyness (if that's a word) and smooth sounds or down south trunkbangers and gangsta rap to becoming a "if you want any type of radio play or video play your music must have a 75% pop influence made for the clubs" genre. I listen to a small amount of rock too, but I have plenty of friends who listen to mostly rock who tell me the same things; that they can't stand the radio either because it's all rock pop nowadays. Pop should be pop, rap should be rap, rock should be rock, etc., nothing wrong with the creative process and expirementing with different sounds, but when your genre is slowly dissolving away into another, well lets just say the music I listen to on a daily basis doesnt play on the radio or tv. Whatever floats peoples boats, just my 2 cents.
Old 14th May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugee1 View Post
Just a pop song? I think a good many of us here know what a dead spot in song sounds like regardless of the genre, and you think pop producers are the only ones to have that figured out? Quite the contrary, my friend. To be right honest, top 40 has been a dead spot since 1975. Truly surface level music full of pretence, and usually bad emulations of something else. A good one comes along from time to time, but seemingly less and less.

There is sooooo much great music out there that will never be top 40 or considered pop because it is not made for sheeple, which is what pop has reduced itself to on the most part. It subscribes itself in large part to game theory, ie making the safest choice to generate the most possible revenue. Not that that's all bad, its just watered down to a proven template.

I suppose if that's what you want I can't argue with on your personal taste. Not trying to. I just have a tough time personally with creating mountains of carbon copy plastique crap.

Sent from my LS670 using Gearslutz.com App
I listen to Classical music and there are so many times where the music stops, you can't do that with Pop.
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
I listen to Classical music and there are so many times where the music stops, you can't do that with Pop.
You can't compare the two and be fair in any way. What is a "stop" in classical anyway? I don't hear stops, I hear transitions. Modern pop has very few transitions or dynamics. But it's not supposed to have them. That's not what the masses buy these days.
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear
It should be called "mainstream" music. Pop is short for popular.
Every sub culture relates to different things.

Old school punks listen the sex pistols, thats says something to them they relate, that's their pop(ular) music

Hip hop/rap urban types relate to what rap/hip hop expresses, thats their pop(ular) music.

Hippies relate to Fish, or The grateful dead, that's their pop(ular) music.

Death metal, Goth, cyberpunk, dance, house, techno, etc...etc......all sub cultures or genre's that follow what they relate to. They all listen to what's popular within their sub culture.

So it's all Pop........
Part of it is the bean counters have figured out the demographic of who spends more money on music, and what's relevant to that demographic at the time, The other part is times change.

The mainstream in the 50's... Sinatra
The 60's it was motown.....
When our parents heard us listening to Zepplin, The Who, etc.... It was prob crap to them.

It's also much easier now for anyone to turn on a computer and with relatively small Investment and a $99 casio and midi to USB cable, they can play any instrument without spending a fortune and make music. No amp to mic up, no studio needed...etc.

50 years ago you had to practice your chops and become a virtuoso on one instrument so you could get noticed and get that session gig at Motown. You had to be able to play or sing or you were not gonna get any record label to invest in you.

There was no autotune to correct that wrong note you wanked,
Or fix your poor pitch. If you sucked you were not gonna be a musician.

Now any no talent ass clown can be a rock star. Frank Sinatra didn't need 20 stinkin dancers on stage to give a good show. (he was before my time but I can appreciate his talent)

Oh well times change. No Sense in practicing when I can flex edit and auto tune to make up for it. Technology ruined everything.

So every noob that you help on this forum, that asks for advice so they can figure out how to use auto tune... you are contributing to watering down the gene pool and disrupting Darwins theory of Natural selection.
Don't do it! LOL

Via Gearslutz iPhone app

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search