The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
People who hate pop music (becuase of the name Pop) Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 12th April 2011
  #121
HocusPokus
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapsmith9 View Post
if you cant identify what makes todays popular music stupid and crappy (its overly simple .. unoriginal .. predictable .. lacking formal musical talent .. lacking songwriting skill .. dumb lyrics .. autotune .. predictable chords .. etc) then thats your problem.
Are you wearing henna-designed clothes, eating chef-seasoned foods, driving hand crafted stealth automobiles that have no 90 degree angles, and sleeping in a multicolored comforter sewn by a blind lady with no hands from the most desolate island in the world?

Simplicity and predictability is an amazing thing, isn't it? Every facet of our lives is drawn to simplicity. The products that succeed are the most simple, yet desired. It is what it is.

The lyrics are "dumb" to you because you aren't a 13-17 year old girl or a house mom who has the stuff rammed down her throat through the bedroom door of her daughter. I guarantee the average 13-17 year old girl would think metal lyrics are dumb. Stop digging yourself chin deep in your own marketing bracket, because as cool and 'complicated' as you think your tastes are, someone else in the world thinks they're completely lame. Do I think it's incredibly predictable how every death metal song I hear is about negativity in the form of death, disgust or gruesome misfortune...yes, but do I understand that there is a large audience of people who enjoy it and find comfort in it, yes. It is no different than the pop market. Stop judging audiences based on your own skewed perspective of what's "cool" and "not cool". The only reason why no one rags on metal, or it's predictability, is because no one is jealous of the lack of money the genre makes in the grand scheme of things. If pop music, as you know it, were an underground genre, none of you would care about it, let alone have a negative opinion about it.

Like I said previously, thinking pop songwriting is a talentless task screams to your ignorance of the genre. there's incredibly in-depth social awareness that someone has to have to structure a truly successful pop song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusionator View Post
Remember: there was a generation of pop engineers before us who held Nelson Riddle to be the paragon of excellence in pop arrangement. These engineers were horrified when electric guitars and basses replaced acoustic ensembles, and when strings were relegated to background ("pad") status. Perhaps the last acceptable pop music to them was The Carpenters.

The following generation--who recorded Motown, Cream, Bob Dylan, etc.--then had to suffer the indignities of MIDI and Fairlights. Most of those engineers didn't make the transition.

It's our nature, as we get older, to disparage what's new. Maybe we're right; I don't know. But I do know that our opinions are certainly irrelevant.

Do your thing. Make the music you want to make. Don't try to bend the curvature of culture to fit your predilection. You'll fail if you try.
This.
It's hard to think of a generation that didn't label a universally acceptable technology or songwriting method "uncool". Whether it was the birth of the radio, television, music videos, distorted guitars, protools, etc......

You guys can all think you're smarter than the inevitable, and more noble than the technology, but you're not. None of us are. Stop trying to fight what is happening right now and start utilizing it in the most optimal way. Adapt and incorporate it. try to think about things in the most relative manner possible. Look at the scope of history and where we are right now.

The paintings on my walls weren't painted by the artist's hand...they were scanned & printed. My shirt wasn't hand sewn, my car wasn't assembled in a Ford-like assembly line, the guitar and drums I'm listening to wasn't plucked by anything other than a midi cntrlr. Expression in music has evolved (ESPECIALLY IN POP). If you can't evolve with it, at least respect it... or respond to this post in smoke signal or morse code-form.
Old 12th April 2011
  #122
Lives for gear
 
sleepingbag's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapsmith9 View Post
if you cant identify what makes todays popular music stupid and crappy (its overly simple .. unoriginal .. predictable .. lacking formal musical talent .. lacking songwriting skill .. dumb lyrics .. autotune .. predictable chords .. etc) then thats your problem.
Gee, I never, ever thought about it that way. Maybe you're right, maybe that is my problem -- but I'd say it's a much lesser problem than not being able to enjoy a good song. I'd rather have my problem than yours.

I like liking things. It makes my life better. If I don't like something at first, I try to understand why other people do... and what usually happens is, I end up liking it. You learn a lot more about other people and about the world when you actually take an interest in things you don't understand. People usually like the things they like for a reason, and finding out those reasons is often fascinating and mind-opening.

Millions of people like and listen to and make pop music, which you think is simple and lacking in whatever musical qualities. Maybe there's something else to like about pop music other than how simple or complex it is when compared to other genres of music? Maybe pop music has something to offer that other genres do not? Maybe it serves a function that other genres don't? And maybe some hit songs are not as 'simple' as you might initially think, despite how many notes or chords they contain. I mean, how simple is it actually, to write a hit -- have you done it? Can you tell me how much work went into it?
Old 12th April 2011
  #123
Gear Maniac
 
BachEnvy's Avatar
 

FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY, dfegaddfegaddfegad
Old 12th April 2011
  #124
Gear Head
 

Can't say i hate any genre, least of all because of its name. I may hate a particular song mind you. The word pop can be misleading these days.

Sent from my GT540 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 12th April 2011
  #125
Lives for gear
 

hocuspokus & sleepingbag are pushing and devouring the same lame crap. i could make the same argument about the jersey shore 'stars' who have absolutely zero talent, but are succeeding only because of the underserved hype and the moronic, blind, ignorant small-brained sheep buying into it. i could even direct it towards a struggling, skilled, formally trained actor and say : 'making $100,000 per person per episode takes savvy. if it is so easy, why arent YOU doing it ???' .......................... The answer is quite simple (unless youre a shill, and/or a total dolt) : they are rewarding the obnoxious, no-talent, lame pieces of garbage while keeping true art and skilled artists on the sidelines. just because thats the current scene, doesnt make it right. just because someone is making money off of the unjust, destructive dumbing down of society, tv and music, doesnt make it right. lil wayne, britney spears and the entire cast of jersey shore have zero redeeming qualities and zero talent. they are only making cash because the system is rewarding people for that instead of penalizing them for it. its really quite simple. you are a clueless, wreckless, idiotic ignoramus if you disagree. and its not 'hating', its a truthful and valid criticism of the current lack of standards in todays media and art.
Old 12th April 2011
  #126
Lives for gear
 
sleepingbag's Avatar
Well, I'm glad someone finally has seen through the unheralded dumbing down of our culture. I guess we'll all snap out of it now. Man, I had no idea what a sheep I was being.

Your post is a bunch of adolescent name calling, maybe try again when you have an actual point to convey rather than a few poorly phrased sentences about how everything and everyone is 'stupid', 'dumb', 'crappy', 'moronic', 'blind', etc. And how exactly am I 'wreckless' for liking Lil' Wayne?

And, just to address the only thing in your post that might be construed as an argument, it doesn't necessarily impress me just to hear that someone is 'skilled' or 'formally trained' IF what they create doesn't entertain me. It's way harder to become successful in an arts-based field than just learning the theory and studying the books. There are millions of music school (and art school, and film school) grads who have done just that, are all or any of them entitled to success solely because of it? I don't have any sympathy for learnéd musicians or actors who are struggling because they aren't attempting to engage the public, especially if they are bitter or jaded or jealous of people in their field who are successful. If you are indeed so incredibly talented and want to be successful, you'll be clever enough to find a way to do so that doesn't involve calling your potential audience 'mindless sheep'. Engaging the public and entertaining people goes way beyond learning theory and taking lessons; it's a skill of its own. Otherwise, please feel free and be happy to make your art for art's sake, but don't expect to garner a mass audience, and don't be bitter towards the performers and artists who have found one.

I'm sure all this falls on deaf ears, but it will benefit your life to stop thinking that everyone around you is so much stupider than you are just because of the entertainment they enjoy, and actually engage with them as human beings. You'll be happier. You might even become a better artist because of it.
Old 13th April 2011
  #127
Gear Nut
 

Considering it is a mega pop album aimed at tweens, Britney's new album has some rather neat production you would typically find in more underground music. Her one hit has a dubstep break down. That has to be a first for pop. And no , I am not a Britney fan, my girlfriend got it but I was rather impressed i mean for pop, i think that is about as good as you can expect.
Old 13th April 2011
  #128
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbag View Post
it will benefit your life to stop thinking that everyone around you is so much stupider than you are just because of the entertainment they enjoy, and actually engage with them as human beings. You'll be happier. You might even become a better artist because of it.
maybe it will benefit your life to stop by mcdonalds on the way home, and when you get home, eat that garbage while you listen to lil waynes garbage and watch jersey shore garbage... all while pretending its NOT garbage. you are simply using ignorance and a total lack of standards to pretend that the garbage you support and consume is 'good' for people and society. some people are so willingly engaged in the talentless, skill-less dumbing down of everything that they become deaf, dumb and blind to the actual reality.
Old 13th April 2011
  #129
Gear Addict
 
Tantrum The Cat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbag View Post
I'm sure all this falls on deaf ears, but it will benefit your life to stop thinking that everyone around you is so much stupider than you are just because of the entertainment they enjoy, and actually engage with them as human beings. You'll be happier. You might even become a better artist because of it.
thumbsup

Yes, yes, a thousand times, YES!!!

This should be required reading for all creative people everywhere. I am DEAD serious. There is NOTHING more unhip to me than an artist who espouses the same old "the general public are idiots and I'm a misunderstood creative genius" bull****.
Old 13th April 2011
  #130
Gear Addict
 
Tantrum The Cat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapsmith9 View Post
maybe it will benefit your life to stop by mcdonalds on the way home, and when you get home, eat that garbage while you listen to lil waynes garbage and watch jersey shore garbage... all while pretending its NOT garbage. you are simply using ignorance and a total lack of standards to pretend that the garbage you support and consume is 'good' for people and society. some people are so willingly engaged in the talentless, skill-less dumbing down of everything that they become deaf, dumb and blind to the actual reality.
zapsmith9, have some class and stop attacking people personally.
Old 13th April 2011
  #131
Lives for gear
 

tantrum, stop supporting a situation where mcdonalds, lil wayne and jersey shore totally dominate society while genuine art, talent and skill are eliminated. people who are enabling and causing the situation are responsible for it.
Old 13th April 2011
  #132
Gear Addict
 
Tantrum The Cat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapsmith9 View Post
tantrum, stop supporting a situation where mcdonalds, lil wayne and jersey shore totally dominate society while genuine art, talent and skill are eliminated. people who are enabling and causing the situation are responsible for it.
Let's unpack this, shall we?

1) On the whole, my girlfriend and I eat fairly healthily, preferring to cook at home with real ingredients. I'm not really a big fan of McDonald's, but I'll very occasionally indulge in fast food, and I think the whole McDonald's-bashing thing has been done to death, especially around these parts. If you've grown up in mainstream North America, and you don't live in a commune and grow your own food, there's a very HIGH chance that you've eaten take-out in your lifetime. To pretend otherwise is a little disingenuous and seems to be part of the whole ""the general public are idiots and I'm a misunderstood creative genius" thing that I referenced earlier.


2) Are you anti-hip hop or just anti-Lil' Wayne? If it's the former, well, you're pulling out the old "oh, hip-hop isn't really music" argument, and
I really have nothing to discuss with you as I've been listening to rap of one form or another for over 20 years. This from someone with ten years of classical piano training under his belt, who's drummed in an arseload of bands, been a session singer, all that stuff. I've always believed that a true musician can move out of his or her comfort zone and find the artistry in any genre. If you haven't, check out Aesop Rock's wordplay, Kool Keith's utterly bat**** brilliance, Rakim's use of metaphor. These people are artists, and no one can take that away from them.

If it's the latter, well, Lil' Wayne isn't my favorite rapper in the world, but to dismiss him out of hand as talentless just because he's popular, well... that is a trap that your ego has set for you, one that you'd do well to dismantle.

3) I can honestly say that I've never seen an episode of Jersey Shore. Not a single one.

sleepingbag pretty much nailed it earlier - you have conflated "taste" with "intelligence".

I can only hope that you're not this confrontational in real life. It is a road to misery.
Old 13th April 2011
  #133
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

"Aesop Rock's wordplay, Kool Keith's utterly bat**** brilliance, Rakim's use of metaphor."

None of which has anything to do with music, any more than a poet is a musician, JMHO.

TH
Old 13th April 2011
  #134
Gear Addict
 
Tantrum The Cat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
"Aesop Rock's wordplay, Kool Keith's utterly bat**** brilliance, Rakim's use of metaphor."

None of which has anything to do with music, any more than a poet is a musician, JMHO.

TH
My personal definition of music includes lyrical content, and I rank lyrical skill. This applies across genres for me - I could have just easily said "check out Harry Chapin's storytelling" or "listen to the Hold Steady's character sketches" or "I'm blown away by how the Gaslight Anthem are able to use classic Americana imagery to make something that FEELS new even though it's working in rock cliches".

But I'm also a bit of a rhythm junkie, so put poetry & rhythm together and you have rap, a genre that I happen to really enjoy. And before you go "but what about melody???", pretty much every rap hit of the last 30 years, from "Rapper's Delight" on, has some melodic elements at play.

A story that I've told before that bears repeating: a few years ago I did some home studio setup for two neo-classical musicians. Heady stuff - tricky time signatures, plenty of counterpoint, the occasional foray into dissonance. When they picked me up from the subway, they had their car radio tuned to... the local rap station. They weren't kidding either. They explained to me that they liked the catchy simplicity of the music, that they didn't feel the need to over-analyze it. Conversely, if they were to listen to a piece by one of their contemporaries, they'd have been too busy picking it apart to enjoy it. It is entirely possible to be a "real" musician and enjoy what loads of everyday people enjoy.
Old 13th April 2011
  #135
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum The Cat View Post
My personal definition of music includes lyrical content, and I rank lyrical skill. This applies across genres for me - I could have just easily said "check out Harry Chapin's storytelling" or "listen to the Hold Steady's character sketches" or "I'm blown away by how the Gaslight Anthem are able to use classic Americana imagery to make something that FEELS new even though it's working in rock cliches".

But I'm also a bit of a rhythm junkie, so put poetry & rhythm together and you have rap, a genre that I happen to really enjoy. And before you go "but what about melody???", pretty much every rap hit of the last 30 years, from "Rapper's Delight" on, has some melodic elements at play.

A story that I've told before that bears repeating: a few years ago I did some home studio setup for two neo-classical musicians. Heady stuff - tricky time signatures, plenty of counterpoint, the occasional foray into dissonance. When they picked me up from the subway, they had their car radio tuned to... the local rap station. They weren't kidding either. They explained to me that they liked the catchy simplicity of the music, that they didn't feel the need to over-analyze it. Conversely, if they were to listen to a piece by one of their contemporaries, they'd have been too busy picking it apart to enjoy it. It is entirely possible to be a "real" musician and enjoy what loads of everyday people enjoy.
There's a lot of it I like too, but most of it still has a lot of melody with the rap just driving it. Somebody talking about their **ick for 3 minutes against yet another 808 kit just isn't making music to me, they're just chanting to a metronome. I suppose that's music on some level, I just don't respect it like I would music where the people performing it actually had to learn, even at an elementary level, an instrument, or sing.

Horses for courses as they say.

TH
Old 13th April 2011
  #136
Gear Addict
 
Tantrum The Cat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Somebody talking about their **ick for 3 minutes against yet another 808 kit just isn't making music to me, they're just chanting to a metronome.
The stuff I recommended isn't this, at all. But point taken.
Old 13th April 2011
  #137
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Understood, and didn't mean to imply you were.

I have the most ridiculously all over the board tastes imaginable. And I actually do like some of the things you mention...I'm often up here telling people they sound old when they knock modern pop

I have such a great love for music that I can usually find something wonderful to discover in everything from Country to Penderecki to The Beatles to Nelson Riddle arrangements of Sinatra tunes LOL. And yes that includes even Ke$ha

TH
Old 13th April 2011
  #138
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum The Cat View Post
Let's unpack this, shall we?

1) On the whole, my girlfriend and I eat fairly healthily, preferring to cook at home with real ingredients. I'm not really a big fan of McDonald's, but I'll very occasionally indulge in fast food, and I think the whole McDonald's-bashing thing has been done to death, especially around these parts. If you've grown up in mainstream North America, and you don't live in a commune and grow your own food, there's a very HIGH chance that you've eaten take-out in your lifetime. To pretend otherwise is a little disingenuous and seems to be part of the whole ""the general public are idiots and I'm a misunderstood creative genius" thing that I referenced earlier.


2) Are you anti-hip hop or just anti-Lil' Wayne? If it's the former, well, you're pulling out the old "oh, hip-hop isn't really music" argument, and
I really have nothing to discuss with you as I've been listening to rap of one form or another for over 20 years. This from someone with ten years of classical piano training under his belt, who's drummed in an arseload of bands, been a session singer, all that stuff. I've always believed that a true musician can move out of his or her comfort zone and find the artistry in any genre. If you haven't, check out Aesop Rock's wordplay, Kool Keith's utterly bat**** brilliance, Rakim's use of metaphor. These people are artists, and no one can take that away from them.

If it's the latter, well, Lil' Wayne isn't my favorite rapper in the world, but to dismiss him out of hand as talentless just because he's popular, well... that is a trap that your ego has set for you, one that you'd do well to dismantle.

3) I can honestly say that I've never seen an episode of Jersey Shore. Not a single one.

sleepingbag pretty much nailed it earlier - you have conflated "taste" with "intelligence".

I can only hope that you're not this confrontational in real life. It is a road to misery.
you are simply out to lunch. its not about you or me its about the big picture. you obviously dont comprehend or acknowledge the big picture reality (mcdonalds, lil wayne, britney, kesha, jersey shore all dominating their respective markets to the detriment of alternatives). you have embraced the name calling ('you b a hater') as soon as someone identifies the lame, crappy reality of modern pop music, pop tv & pop food. you and the others are just in denial and simply hate being told the truth. ......... people should stop defending the mass consumption of skill-less, talentless garbage. if you wont stop defending it, you are effectively promoting it. that deserves criticism. its not confrontational or hateful. its simply the attempt to raise the bar and improve the standards so that mcdonalds, kesha, lil wayne, britney and jersey shore arent always dominating society the way they are........... should there really be no standards and no skill and no criticism allowed in other areas too ? like on construction sites ? wrt student performance ? wrt to audio production gear ? would we all really be better off if all criticisms of substandard work were classified as confrontational hate speech ? like i said, you are out to lunch as are all others defending the current low bar reality of mainstream music, tv & food.
Old 13th April 2011
  #139
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum The Cat View Post
The stuff I recommended isn't this, at all. But point taken.
but what if that standard IS the dominant one ??? what if the more sophisticated artistic options YOU pointed out are shunned because the dumbing down is so rampant that the masses are simply unable to process or understand it ??? this is the big picture reality you are failing to see. but youve helped set up that scenario because any criticism of the dumbed down scene is instantly classified as confrontational hate speech.
Old 13th April 2011
  #140
Lives for gear
 
sleepingbag's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapsmith9 View Post
but what if that standard IS the dominant one ??? what if the more sophisticated artistic options YOU pointed out are shunned because the dumbing down is so rampant that the masses are simply unable to process or understand it ??? this is the big picture reality you are failing to see. but youve helped set up that scenario because any criticism of the dumbed down scene is instantly classified as confrontational hate speech.
Dude, you sound like you really need to relax. You're worried about the end of the world or something, we're just talking about music and pop culture. No one's 'shunning' anything. It's possible to like both 'smart' AND 'dumb' music, 'simple' AND 'complex', 'fun' AND 'serious', etc. I listen to a lot of stuff made by musicians more 'sophisticated', in your understanding, than Beyonce or Katy Perry or Lil' B. But then I also listen to Beyonce, Katy Perry, and Lil' B. I think you'll find that a lot of music fans are the same way. I don't know very many people who listen to exclusively pop music, and those who do probably aren't the diehard music fans. It's no threat to anything or anyone that pop culture exists.

Here's an experiment we can try in this thread: why don't you recommend to me an album for me to listen to, and the next time I would go to turn on a pop or hip hop album I'll listen to your pick instead. Try to blow my 'dumbed-down' mind, and pick something so good that it makes me never want to listen to that 'skill-less, talentless' music ever again. Good luck picking something I haven't heard, by the way.
Old 13th April 2011
  #141
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbag View Post
Dude, you sound like you really need to relax. You're worried about the end of the world or something, we're just talking about music and pop culture. No one's 'shunning' anything. It's possible to like both 'smart' AND 'dumb' music, 'simple' AND 'complex', 'fun' AND 'serious', etc. I listen to a lot of stuff made by musicians more 'sophisticated', in your understanding, than Beyonce or Katy Perry or Lil' B. But then I also listen to Beyonce, Katy Perry, and Lil' B. I think you'll find that a lot of music fans are the same way. I don't know very many people who listen to exclusively pop music, and those who do probably aren't the diehard music fans. It's no threat to anything or anyone that pop culture exists.
.
dude, you sound like you need to grow some brain cells and adopt some decent standards wrt music and art. thats right, raise the bar... all on your OWN. stop saying its all good. lame crap is NOT good. and btw, this is the moan zone where people with brain cells and standards get to say jersey shore, lil wayne, kesha, britney and mcdonalds (or anything else which lacks quality, talent or skill) sucks. the confrontation only happens when people with zero standards and oblivious, gullible minds come in and try to shut down all criticism of the lame, stupid, talentless crap. this is a forum DEDICATED to such criticism. so maybe you and others (who promote an anything goes attitude) should stop being so sensitive to criticisms of the lame crappy garbage you seem to have a keen interest in defending.
Old 13th April 2011
  #142
Gear Addict
 
Tantrum The Cat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapsmith9 View Post
what if the more sophisticated artistic options YOU pointed out are shunned because the dumbing down is so rampant that the masses are simply unable to process or understand it ??? this is the big picture reality you are failing to see. but youve helped set up that scenario because any criticism of the dumbed down scene is instantly classified as confrontational hate speech.
You're hilarious! The three rap artists I named earlier are each very successful in their own right - they sell records, tour, and have loads of fans.
Old 13th April 2011
  #143
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

My problem with people like Lady Gaga is not that it's pop, but that it's mediocre pop. This is what I call good pop.

Old 13th April 2011
  #144
Gear Addict
 
Tantrum The Cat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapsmith9 View Post
yyou have embraced the name calling ('you b a hater') as soon as someone identifies the lame, crappy reality of modern pop music, pop tv & pop food.
In a word, no. What you read and what I actually wrote are two different things - I don't use the term "hater" in any seriousness as I think it's a silly, overused piece of slang. In fact, I haven't used it anywhere in this thread. That is YOUR doing.

Here are three terms you should Google:

"false dichotomy"
"Strawman argument"
"ad hominem"

Please learn how to converse with others without the above logical fallacies.
Old 13th April 2011
  #145
Lives for gear
 
sleepingbag's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
There's a lot of it I like too, but most of it still has a lot of melody with the rap just driving it. Somebody talking about their **ick for 3 minutes against yet another 808 kit just isn't making music to me, they're just chanting to a metronome. I suppose that's music on some level, I just don't respect it like I would music where the people performing it actually had to learn, even at an elementary level, an instrument, or sing.

Horses for courses as they say.

TH
This is a really..... inaccurate way to describe rap, to put it more politely than perhaps I'd like to . I understand the genre isn't for everyone, but there's actually skill involved. You may not be particularly interested in the skill on display in the same way that I'm usually not particularly interested in the skill displayed in, say, the NFL; no matter what you or I think it doesn't mean there's not talent there. Back when I used to listen to mainly prog rock and punk, I might have been inclined to agree with you -- but I too would have been speaking out of a position of ignorance and unfamiliarity with the genre. Just like jazz or blues or any other genre, you have to spend a little bit of time with hip hop to be able to really understand it and tell good from bad. But it's great music once you get into it!
Old 13th April 2011
  #146
Gear Maniac
 
Lvismydad's Avatar
 

Adressed to al whiners:

How is it possible to argue about music?!?!?!?!?!
As I see it, this is not about the music, but about your selfish honour.

Read some Schopenhauer (but not too much) and listen to some Mozart (pianoconcerti) or Tchaikovsky (symphonies 5 and 6). Then go to bed.
Old 13th April 2011
  #147
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum The Cat View Post
You're hilarious! The three rap artists I named earlier are each very successful in their own right - they sell records, tour, and have loads of fans.
are each of them more popular and successful than lil wayne ? well, they SHOULD be if they offer more artistic depth and more musical skill. you see, tantrum, this is the scene im trying to promote. a scene where those who exhibit less skill, talent and artistry are penalized. a scene where those who dumb things down the most are penalized. an environment where those who use their intellect, skill and creativity the most and where those who try to raise the artistic bar the most get the most rewards and the most respect. (i actually am being generous wrt your preferences... i guess you missed that). you should try to see the big picture. you seem to be playing checkers. critique of art is much less linear than your rudimentary pseudo-logic.
Old 13th April 2011
  #148
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvismydad View Post
Adressed to al whiners:

How is it possible to argue about music?!?!?!?!?!
As I see it, this is not about the music, but about your selfish honour.

Read some Schopenhauer (but not too much) and listen to some Mozart (pianoconcerti) or Tchaikovsky (symphonies 5 and 6). Then go to bed.
you are just whining about criticisms. this is the moan zone, so actually, the initial criticisms are more appropriate than your reactive whining ABOUT those criticisms. mebbe you need a nap.
Old 13th April 2011
  #149
Gear Maniac
 
Lvismydad's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapsmith9 View Post
you are just whining about criticisms. this is the moan zone, so actually, the initial criticisms are more appropriate than your reactive whining ABOUT those criticisms. mebbe you need a nap.
Yes, that's very true... I NEED a Nap. Thank You for reminding me.
But what I wanted to say was '"Music Comes First" and all the discussion-stuff about "this and that" is pointless.

Indeed the moanzone is the moanzone.

At the moment I'm practicing étude No.3 in E major from F. Chopin for next week's concert. This stuff is POP MUSIC "avant la lettre"!!

There are no genres. There is "Just" music. "Why so serious?"

This topic doesn't exist and I am ashamed in replying to it.

Goodnight.

p.s. I would have liked your post if you'd dismissed "reactive".
Old 15th April 2011
  #150
Lives for gear
 
rumimusic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapsmith9 View Post
maybe it will benefit your life to stop by mcdonalds on the way home, and when you get home, eat that garbage while you listen to lil waynes garbage and watch jersey shore garbage... all while pretending its NOT garbage. you are simply using ignorance and a total lack of standards to pretend that the garbage you support and consume is 'good' for people and society. some people are so willingly engaged in the talentless, skill-less dumbing down of everything that they become deaf, dumb and blind to the actual reality.
You sound like a middle school philosopher. Believe me this is not an elite line of thinking. It's juvenile & plenty of people who listen to little wayne, eat mcdonalds, & watch jersey shore are aware of what's going on & can still enjoy a verse, a cheeseburger, and/or an episode.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
HIGHENDONLY / So much gear, so little time
1
Tempest19 / So much gear, so little time
115
flanger001 / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
14
enharmonic / The Good News Channel
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump