The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
People who hate pop music (becuase of the name Pop) Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
Exactly. Mariah Scareys new stuff has nothing on her older stuff. Not even comparable. Today's music just sucks.
Are you being sarcastic about that last sentence? Or is that honestly how you feel? (Mariah's oldies beat her new stuff though.. No doubt.)

I'm fairly disappointed in most of today's music, though I wouldn't say 100% of it sucks.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
Are you being sarcastic about that last sentence? Or is that honestly how you feel? (Mariah's oldies beat her new stuff though.. No doubt.)

I'm fairly disappointed in most of today's music, though I wouldn't say 100% of it sucks.
Maybe not 100% but 90% at least. There's just no variety on the tv and radio. Let's face it. Many people gonna say, there is plenty of music outside of tv and radio and that is true. However, nobody can buy what they don't see or hear. Everything on tv and radio is trash. I haven't heard song saw that made me say wow in a very very very long time. I don't know if you are old enough but do you remember when songs like Closing Time by Semisonic and I Touch Myself by the Divinyls etc came out? I am a hip-hop junky but when I heard songs like that, I was like wow, just incredible stuff. Those songs will stay in my memory till the day I die.
Old 21st March 2010
Quote:
There's just no variety on the tv and radio. Let's face it. Many people gonna say, there is plenty of music outside of tv and radio and that is true. However, nobody can't buy what they don't see or hear. Everything on tv and radio is trash. I haven't heard a saw that made me say wow in a very very very long time. I don't know if you are old enough but don't you remember when songs like Closing Time by Semisonic and I Touch Myself by the Divinyls etc came out. I am a hip-hop junky but when I heard songs like that, I was like wow, just incredible stuff. Those songs will stay in my memory till the day I die.
I remember those songs too haha. Another song like that would be Everything You Want, Are you that Somebody (that crying kid still haunts my dreams), etc etc.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
I remember those songs too haha. Another song like that would be Everything You Want, Are you that Somebody (that crying kid still haunts my dreams), etc etc.
Yep. I remember those songs too. What about If You Could Only See by Tonic and Freshman by the Verve Pipe. Just truly amazing and timeless music.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not a guy who is clueless about how to play instruments, I can play guitar, drums, bass (not as good as you!), synthesizer etc etc.
I never questioned that.. I know you are talented...which makes me wonder why you compromise, artistically writing things about runway models and club people when.. theres probably something a lot more meaningful and "below the surface" in you.

I just dont get why this crappy materialistic cliche stuff has to be the status quo..
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
You Could Only See by Tonic

tonic ill give you..freshman blew.

the last "classic" radio song was under the bridge.
Old 21st March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
I never questioned that.. I know you are talented...which makes me wonder why you compromise, artistically writing things about runway models and club people when.. theres probably something a lot more meaningful and "below the surface" in you.

I just dont get why this crappy materialistic cliche stuff has to be the status quo..
I'm honestly waiting for school to finish so I can focus on the songs. Unfortunately I don't have time to record my songs right now. I have only recorded 3 songs of mine in 8 months. 2 were for a publisher, 1 for a producer, and the rest of the stuff I've worked on have been other artists songs. I'll start working on a real album in May as soon as I get back from my Beverly Hills vacation (I'll probably write some good stuff over there, who knows!). I can't wait til school is done. It's only a matter of time!
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yep. I remember those songs too. What about If You Could Only See by Tonic and Freshman by the Verve Pipe. Just truly amazing and timeless music.
Hmm.

Sister Hazel - All for you

Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground

Push, 3AM - Matchbox 20

Jumper - Third Eye Blind

A Long December - Counting Crows

Run-Around - Blues Traveler

Roll to Me - Del Amitri

You Don't Know How It Feels - Tom Petty

I guess they're not all winners, but none are awful. Kind of a taste of the acoustic part of what the mid nineties or so sounded like to me. I didn't even get to the ladies - KD Lang, Sarah McLachlan, Shawn Colvin, Melissa Etheridge, Fiona Apple, Joan Osborne, Alanis Morisette, Suzanne Vega (sort of), Mazzy Star, PJ Harvey, Madonna, Nina Persson (The Cardigans) etc.

I remember the ****, too. The Macarena, Haddaway, OMF, Dee-lite, Coco Jambo, etc. plus Spice Girls and Ace of Base if they weren't so damn catchy.

But at least I could spin a bottle and have a decent chance of hitting a good song.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

I don't listen to pop music much in the same way that I don't play with toy trucks or play British Bulldog with my friends.

Pop music is largely for children/young adults and has always been.
I stopped listening to it when I was about 15.
I'm not proud of that or anything- it just is.

There is so much other great music that I much prefer- why would I waste my time?
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post

Pop music is largely for children/young adults and has always been.
I stopped listening to it when I was about 15.

How old are you now, 16?

I'm going to come round your pad and replace all your Dream Theater albums with Ke$ha's latest.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Rarely ever wished so hard that I had the power to close a thread.

- c
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

- c
Why? No reason to. and comments like the above certainly dont do much to raise the SNR do they? Your attentions would be better focused on any of the million "what preamps to use on XXX" or which neve

or XXX is awesome. or CLA is teh cool awesum.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm honestly waiting for school to finish so I can focus on the songs. Unfortunately I don't have time to record my songs right now. I have only recorded 3 songs of mine in 8 months. 2 were for a publisher, 1 for a producer, and the rest of the stuff I've worked on have been other artists songs. I'll start working on a real album in May as soon as I get back from my Beverly Hills vacation (I'll probably write some good stuff over there, who knows!). I can't wait til school is done. It's only a matter of time!
what are you studying?
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

zo is dat

heh
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

- c
Golly. That's tough talking. I seem to remember you saying the same thing in the thread about the "innovative" Shadow Hills website. I think you need to chillax dood! Someone might leap to the unfair conclusion that you have free speech issues ... if opinions voiced happen not to coincide with your own.

But seeing as Teddy Ray has brought a bit of Wallace Stevens into our lives, I'll just throw in a line from 'Bantams in Pine-woods':

Your world is you. I am my world.

I personally think that anyone who hates pop music is cutting their nose off to spite their face. Each to their own, however.

Last edited by badmark; 21st March 2010 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

To push the envelop: Michael Jackson's music was never mainstream or pedestrian enough to be labeled "POP". Hall and Oates were the big POP PUSHERS of all time.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post

How old are you now, 16?

I'm going to come round your pad and replace all your Dream Theater albums with Ke$ha's latest.
I'm 38.
Dream Theater are pretty naff as well.

I've given my butler an order to shoot on sight.

What is a Ke$ha?
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Golly. That's tough talking. I seem to remember you saying the same thing in the thread about the "innovative" Shadow Hills website. I think you need to chillax dood! Someone might leap to the unfair conclusion that you have free speech issues ... if opinions voiced happen not to coincide with your own.
Well, just like the aforementioned Shadow Hills thread, I don't have an opinion other than that this thread is a vertiginous free-fall into vapidity. It's solipsism masquerading as discourse.

"I like this!" "Well, I like this!"

I tried to dissuade this melee from ensuing earlier on, to no avail.

I was right then and I'm right now. No good can come of this thread. Nobody will walk away enlightened. No minds will be changed. And there will be no consensus conclusion.

The bigger question about me --- and it's a good f-ing question --- is why I even bother to revisit stupid, futile threads like this.

Why don't I just abandon them and let people go about their circuitous discussion? What's wrong with me? I mean, I have a brain in my head, work to do, books on the shelf, better things to do with my free time. Why even return to the thread? I don't know. I seem to have developed some kind of compulsive, semi-masochistic internet impulse.

This is a whole moan zone topic unto itself, I suppose.

- c
Old 22nd March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
what are you studying?
I'm studying French Literature, I love it! heh
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear
I tend to dislike a lot of modern pop music because it has become totally disconnected from art.

In the original post these 6 things were listed as reasons modern pop music is good:

1. easy to listen to (often not the case to me)

2. catchy (sometimes)

3. good melodies (sometimes)

4. good structure (i agree)

5. good engineering (i agree)

6. really well produced (to an extent)

One major problem is, the production, engineering and structure are more often than not recycled. Also, (i know this is gearslutz so don't shoot me!) Engineering is not a part of music. To musicians engineering is just another tool to better their product, not unlike an 1176 is to an engineer.

Some important things that were left off of that list that to me are very important for good art:

Creativity, Inspiration, Artistic Vision, and a Statement (view on the world).

-Danny
Old 22nd March 2010
Quote:
Maybe not 100% but 90% at least. There's just no variety on the tv and radio. Let's face it. Many people gonna say, there is plenty of music outside of tv and radio and that is true. However, nobody can buy what they don't see or hear. Everything on tv and radio is trash. I haven't heard song saw that made me say wow in a very very very long time. I don't know if you are old enough but do you remember when songs like Closing Time by Semisonic and I Touch Myself by the Divinyls etc came out? I am a hip-hop junky but when I heard songs like that, I was like wow, just incredible stuff. Those songs will stay in my memory till the day I die.
See, that's pretty funny - you slate modern pop (and presumably pop/rock, that's played on the radio), then you quote Semisonic as an example of great pop? i mean, that song you quoted was ok, but hardly a standout of the past 15 years - hell, if we're talking semisonic, I thought "chemistry" was a way better song. Of the modern pop/rock bands you slate, I think there's much better songs by the likes of Green Day.

But that's the beauty of opinion eh? And kind of why every generation thinks their pop was better.

As it happens, whenever I think of "closing time" I think of the version that appears in a Weird Al polka on "Running with Scissors" (segued into "sex and candy" and "dopeshow" in places) - unfortunately I think that's the version of the song that will stay with me!
Old 22nd March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
Hmm.

Sister Hazel - All for you

Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground

Push, 3AM - Matchbox 20

Jumper - Third Eye Blind

A Long December - Counting Crows

Run-Around - Blues Traveler

Roll to Me - Del Amitri

You Don't Know How It Feels - Tom Petty
I did a session recently with Iain Harvey from Del Amitri...that blasted song was going round my head the entire 2 days...
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
The bigger question about me --- and it's a good f-ing question --- is why I even bother to revisit stupid, futile threads like this.

- c
THANK YOU!!!

Seriously, I have the same internal dialogue regarding the Moan Zone in general.

It's the emotional equivalent of picking at a hangnail - kinda hurts, kinda hard to stop.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
See, that's pretty funny - you slate modern pop (and presumably pop/rock, that's played on the radio), then you quote Semisonic as an example of great pop? i mean, that song you quoted was ok, but hardly a standout of the past 15 years - hell, if we're talking semisonic, I thought "chemistry" was a way better song. Of the modern pop/rock bands you slate, I think there's much better songs by the likes of Green Day.

But that's the beauty of opinion eh? And kind of why every generation thinks their pop was better.

As it happens, whenever I think of "closing time" I think of the version that appears in a Weird Al polka on "Running with Scissors" (segued into "sex and candy" and "dopeshow" in places) - unfortunately I think that's the version of the song that will stay with me!

So you sailed away
Into a grey sky morning..........heh
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by complex View Post
Hi, now i been on most major music forum and i have noticed that there is a huge hate for music such as Brittney spear, lady gaga, etc and other music which is in the charts. Now what i dont get is the fact it is there is becuase it is:

1. easy to listen to

2. catchy

3. good melodies

4. good structure

5. good engineering

6. really well produced

now surley that is all the things a good song should be. are these people (there on GS as well) i bit Dim? why do they not want to make good songs? now i know that not all songs are in the charts are good and i am aware that alot of it is PR and Image, but surley even the occasional really musical stuff breaks through for what it truley is and shines on the charts aswell, as well as your prefered genre of choice. So i don't get why people have so much beef with it, are they jelouse? or is it becuase it is ascociated with such things as young kids, teen age girls and such things that might not be exactly manly listening to (you dont hear many wrestler listening to Brittney spear or lady gaga) which i have noticed with friends they will not listen to popy stuff(purely on principle with out giving it a chance), they label it crap before they even give the music a chance. I think that a good producer and engineer will listen to all type of music and learn to love it for what it is from lady gaga to ten masked men, from dr dre to hybrid and edvard grieg to pendulum, so why has this stero type come over so many people. is it a domino effect that one (Supposedly cool) person says it crap so all his little followers say it rubbish with out giving it a chance? what your thought on why some many people frown apon pop music ?

any music that is popular is pop music. That would include anything that is popular.
if a record goes gold it is popular music. Therefore it is pop. So bands like Dre, to Madonna to foo Fighters to Nirvana to pink floyd to acdc to green eyed beans to greenday are all pop artists

I think some confuse pop music with formula.

formula:

1. easy to listen to

2. catchy

3. good melodies

4. good structure

5. good engineering

6. co-written by Desmond Child.

7. under 4 minutes
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
any music that is popular is pop music. That would include anything that is popular.
if a record goes gold it is popular music. Therefore it is pop. So bands like Dre, to Madonna to foo Fighters to Nirvana to pink floyd to acdc to green eyed beans to greenday are all pop artists

formula:

1. easy to listen to

2. catchy

3. good melodies

4. good structure

5. good engineering

6. co-written by Desmond Child.

7. under 4 minutes
Okay, so now you eschew... 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and you have the formula for pop music today.

Think about it.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
No good can come of this thread. Nobody will walk away enlightened. No minds will be changed. And there will be no consensus conclusion.

Well, that's us all put in our place then. Just a thought: next time you see a thread you find beneath your dignity, feel free to walk on by, instead of posting (no offence) navel-gazing condescensions. Kind of a global ignore thing. Take it one forum at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer View Post
To push the envelop: Michael Jackson's music was never mainstream or pedestrian enough to be labeled "POP". Hall and Oates were the big POP PUSHERS of all time.
I think Michael Jackson has somewhat outsold the Hall and Oates-meisters and thus is more POPular ... plus, have you ever heard any of the stuff Daryl Hall did with Robert Fripp? That wasn't mainstream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post

Indeed. Though I think there is a distinction that can be made between formula pop that happens to go gold because it's the right product at the right moment, for whatever reason (hello, Susan Boyle) and stuff that will keep selling and selling down the years.

Pop music can tend towards banality. But so also can life.
Old 22nd March 2010
teo
Lives for gear

Quote:
A few days ago I popped "Head on straight" in the car, and my gf was like "Cool, it's like the modern pop-rock that comes out today, without the autotune crap!"
Both of us thought the album was nothing to write home about, but it was still refreshing...
Old 22nd March 2010
Here for the gear

I must like pop music as I played it half my life. Those were the days when there were actually more vacuum cleaners in the hall closet than fender guitars though. Long before there were little plastic guitars connected to video games.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, that's us all put in our place then. Just a thought: next time you see a thread you find beneath your dignity, feel free to walk on by, instead of posting (no offence) navel-gazing condescensions.
hehhehhehheh

I love it.

why cant we just have a trash talking forum, let us all talk *&(* to our hearts content.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search