The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ovation guitars? No thank you...
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Ovation guitars? No thank you...

Never met a good Ovation in 20 years of playing. I think its time to call a gimmick a gimmick and move on.

Ive played wet shoestrings tied between two boards that have more sustain than any Ovation.

Ive handled stand up basses with easier to move strings than an Ovation.

I've played a log with more playability than an Ovation.

Seriously. If you love em, keep em. In fact, please go buy out any remaining stock from any music stores so their not on the market anymore.

If youre about to defend how great they sound when Electric.....please dont. I'll point out how you can put a piezo under a maple plank and it will make noise electrically. Ovations are a failtastic production guitar and Im stickin to it.

End rant.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

I hate ovations. Always have.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear
You need to have Pendulous Breasts to get the most out of an Ovation.
I believe thats who they were designed for.
My BMI tells me i am dangerously close to acquiring one
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Fun w/ an ovation!!
There is one thing they're good for..
Attached Thumbnails
Ovation guitars? No thank you...-erinsmashing.jpg   Ovation guitars? No thank you...-erinstomping.jpg  
Old 12th January 2010
Gear Addict

I think one of the problems with them is that that they don't sit comfortably on your lap when playing and are inclined to slide forward. This means that the player has to use the crook of their arm pressed against the top of the guitar to hold it in place. Considering that the top is the sound of an acoustic guitar forcibly resting your arm against it isn't going to do its resonance any good.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

I'll go against all odds and say I love them. Well ... I love one of them. Was the first guitar my pops passed down to me when I was a kid, an old four digit model (can't remember which one off hand) but it was from the late 70s and had a 5-piece maple neck, and was huge. With a brand new pair of Elixirs, the thing sounds stunning. Recorded it a few years ago in a session with an AKG "The Tube" into an 1176, and into a 1081 channel (8036 board). Was everything an acoustic guitar should be in my eyes.

Different strokes, I guess.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

I agree. Have hated them since the late 70s. I like an acoustic that sounds like wood. That's why I like Gibsons. Ovations sound plastic.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcha View Post
I think one of the problems with them is that that they don't sit comfortably on your lap when playing and are inclined to slide forward. This means that the player has to use the crook of their arm pressed against the top of the guitar to hold it in place. Considering that the top is the sound of an acoustic guitar forcibly resting your arm against it isn't going to do its resonance any good.
Totally not gonna do it any good. The strings just plunk like theyre absolutely dead - its rather rediculous. Im glad to see my rather direct OP wasnt met with too much disagreement. I seriously have played logs of wood that were more of a joy to play. I surprised they have lasted as long as they have. Gimmick all day long.

Who the hell ever thought that a plastic bowl on the back of a guitar was a good idea?? I'll tell ya who ~ someone who could build a guitar that would sell for $999 by using minimal parts. Take a novel looking product and back it by an ad campaign that touts your product is actually worth $999 and the suckers come out in droves. They made those nifty looking walnut top guitars with the multiple little sound holes in em, glued it to a plastic back, and advertised the hell out it. Gimmick-ville. They play and sound like absolute garbage.

Whose idea was the Ovation? Terrible. I say we find that dude....
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

"'ll go against all odds and say I love them. Well ... I love one of them. Was the first guitar my pops passed down to me when I was a kid, an old four digit model"

Ok....now I feel bad

Ahh, indeed. The "hand me down from pops" factor does indeed instantly qualify your guitar as "Teh Awesome". You sir are exempt from the impending mob soon coming to your town. I'll leave them a note to pass by your house.

Ahem, however....the rest of those Ovations are out there boys! Go get em!!

Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

One guy in a band I once played long ago had one.. and always raved about it. The neck was sitting in the body at an angle, so the high e string sat on the edge of the fretboard for everything higher than the 12th fret. POS.
On one occasion we came to the rehearsal room and the dog that lived in the building pooped on his beloved digital multiFX. The dog had better ears than the guy, IMHO.
Another day the same dog crashed through the makeshift ceiling panels into the drums, midsong. Don't worry, the dog wasn't hurt.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCricket View Post
Whose idea was the Ovation? Terrible. I say we find that dude....
A guy named Charles Kaman. He was a guitar player and aeronautics engineer in the 60's. The story goes that he broke his Martin, took it to the factory, and saw that guitars were being manufactured with hammers and animal glue so he thought he could do better. He got his aeronautics engineer buddies together to design a roundback guitar because their research told them that a flatback guitar had a negative affect on the sound.

But yeah, I agree with you. Ovations are terrible...they slide off of your leg and they sound like crap. Goes to show what happens when something is overengineered.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCricket View Post
"'ll go against all odds and say I love them. Well ... I love one of them. Was the first guitar my pops passed down to me when I was a kid, an old four digit model"

Ok....now I feel bad

Ahh, indeed. The "hand me down from pops" factor does indeed instantly qualify your guitar as "Teh Awesome". You sir are exempt from the impending mob soon coming to your town. I'll leave them a note to pass by your house.

Ahem, however....the rest of those Ovations are out there boys! Go get em!!

LOL, thanks

Learned my first riff on that guitar too ... Pink Floyd's "money". A week after my pops took me to go see my first concert ever ... Pink Floyd when they were on the Division Bell tour at Exhibition Stadium here in Toronto. Hence the sentimental attachment =)
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

I could never keep one on my lap long enough to ever hear one, they always slipped off with that pregnant belly bulging out.

WHY!??

silly design.

steelyfan
Old 12th January 2010
teo
Lives for gear

I hate Ovations with a vengance!
Luckily I don't get to se them that much any more...seldom live, and nobody never had the nerve to come in the studio with one...
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

guessing this thread is some sort of sub mental pent regression for never having an audience give an ovation .or just simple lack of engineering respect
Either case please keep your professionalism out of certain job sectors
for hope of a better future for man and woman kind alike.

but have peace my friend it might be just that music generated from sequencers
is really not music, being just noise set to time ...

Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by big country View Post
guessing this thread is some sort of sub mental pent regression for never having an audience give an ovation .or a lack of engineering respect

have peace my friend it might be just that music generated from sequencers
is really not music, being just noise set to time ...

.....ego-boost-post in 3.....2......1....

Naa, Im actually on tour right now, funny enough. Also just won a "Song of the Year" contest at a website. Oh, and was voted "Fan Favorite". Links below.

Was that the left or right foot?

So are we to count you in the mob to go rid the world of Ovations or not, friend? Aye, the mercy shown to Avening will not be so freely given. stike
You could be seen as a Terrorist to the cause and we'd have to like, come invade your living room and not leave. tutt
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Yup, I can't stand when I hear another guitar player talking about Ovation and how good they are. They suck in my opinion, and are a lifeless and characterless guitar.

Martin all the way! thumbsup
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

much as easy to rally the moron , smoke dope follow me and hate ovations

the minions common bond flows deep, good luck in your mission for peace...

oh yeah dont forget to buy my music
Old 12th January 2010
kdp
Lives for gear

Preston Reed and Kaki King are endorsers. Some high end Adamas anniversary models sound good. But yeah 99% of them are terrible. All acoustic guitars are hit and miss. I 've played hundreds of Martins over the years. Never found one I liked. Love old late 70s era Larrivee's. New ones suck. To each his own I guess.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uper$tar View Post
Yup, I can't stand when I hear another guitar player talking about Ovation and how good they are. They suck in my opinion, and are a lifeless and characterless guitar.

Martin all the way! thumbsup
Ya know how after youve been playing guitar for quite a few years and you can tell if the guitar is outta tune by vibration? Thats your ear getting better.
With that same skill, you feel how "balanced" the sound itself of a guitar is even when you say, slam a hard G chord and you hear how well each of those strings and notes are voiced. One word =

Mar-tin

They pretty much ring and sing like nothing else ~ yeah, yeah 'cept for older ones like Gibsons and uhh...older Martins, lol

Its so immature, but oh well....

dfegadOvation
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

it is indeed the worst guitar i ever owned. i had a black one with the korean counter top finish. finally sold it for a fraction of what i had paid for it and got a takamine, that one's nice.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Ouch? Umm, sorry if I somehow let you down....? Peaceful people have senses of humor too?

Inter-personally, the mission goes really well. This was/is totally supposed to be a light-hearted thread. Kinda funny to go out on a limb, but something in the cosmos told me it was time to say something about Ovations and....yeah. thumbsup

Omg....maybe.....Maybe you have a basement full of teh Ovations!!1 stike

On a direct level, If you have something youd like to actually say...Im listening. Why mince words and be cryptic?
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

oh yeah dont forget to buy my music
Im not selling my music at all, big country.

Oooo! Youre a feisty one huh? You have some 7000 posts......tutt

And youre saying that after I tried to help you laugh off youre rudeness the first time, youre going to perpetuate it? Remember the "I sense someone never had an ovation from a crowd comment?" ~ you could still be cool.

But then youd be in the mob ~ and you'd have to wear a button that says "I hate Ovations"
Old 12th January 2010
Gear Addict

People like what they are used to. An Ovation doesn't sound like the typical acoustic guitar. Therefore, people dislike them.

I've had one of the cheap Korean models, deep bowl, for almost 20 years. It's not a great guitar by any stretch but it's gotten me by, especially for live performance. Fitted with a magnetic soundhole pickup, it has almost (but not quite!) an archtop vibe to it. Right now it's strung up with baritone strings and works adequately in that role.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

guilty of hoarding much emicons and bandwidth
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

I currently build acoustic guitars as a hobby, so I am way far in the camp of "wood is best." However, I'll have to stick up for my old Ovation Electric Custom Balladeer from the 1970's. I had Wilcutt Guitars (Lexington, KY) do a refret and general setup on that thing back in the early 1980's. That made it not suck too badly. If you were plugging in back in the late 1970's or early 1980's, this was one of the few realistic options. So, let's not be too harsh regarding choices of the past.

The plastic bowl is not the only problem with these guitars; in fact, I'm not even sure it is the worst problem. They used bracing on the top that practically guaranteed dipping in front of the bridge and bellying behind it. The finish on the top was thicker than it should be. Repairs were (reportedly) a pain in the ass. If you could get the neck angle and the frets set up properly, they weren't bad to play. Yes, they sounded bland, but there are worse things than bland.

Overall, I put them in the same category as cars from the same era. Charming as reminders of how things were, but no longer practical choices.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
Another day the same dog crashed through the makeshift ceiling panels into the drums, midsong..

...I so wish I'd seen that.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

You love 'em or hate 'em. Personally, when it comes to gear I find everyone gets very defensive about their own gear and nothing else will suffice.

I have 3 acoustics, all different makes. My favourite is the Ovation Elite Series 1778T Deepbowl. Its from their most expensive range but I'd never in a million years have spent that much money on a guitar in general, or on any model of Ovation as I was never interested in them (I used to always hate the bowlback design and how it seemed to always slide away from you while you played it! ). However, some guy who got it as a gift and had no idea of its value but it on ebay for a fraction of the price so I thought why not, I can always sell it on and make a substantial profit.

I'll never sell it on now. I hated Ovation, I hated how anyone I ever heard sounded thin and tinny, I hated how the Bowl Back seemed more of a gimmick than a practical, advantageous design.

This model changed every one of those views. I know there will be no convincing any of you that it really is beautiful to play, but its just my opinion and I am entitled to it.

And for the record... 99% of other ovations I have heard asides from this exact model still sound pretty rubbish to me. I can easily admit that.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
RasCricket, meet big country. He means no harm. Really.

Lol, thanks for heads up
Old 12th January 2010
Gear Nut

This was the sound of acoustic in the 80s. All those hair bands that played the requisite ballad used either this or on of those hideously thin acoustic /electrics shaped like a telecaster. I personally blame Ovation for all those posts I've read that state a pickup or electronics sound better than a miced acoustic. That's the sound they are trying to get! It's just criminal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search