The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ovation guitars? No thank you...
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpakka View Post
You're not playing it right. The V part rests on the knee. Then it will never slip off.
Yeah well I switched to a Steinberger. Just can't figure out where they put the tuning pegs.

Dave
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpakka View Post
Yeah. I heard him with John Mclaughlin and Paco De Lucia. Al sounded horrible. John marginally better. And Paco with a mic on his classical guitar blew them both off the stage. Not just in his playing. His tone was so much better.
I saw them on the PG&F tour, and got to meet them. I agree, I thought Al sounded like crud back then. John was playing Yamaha classical guitars back then, which didn't help. Actually, the last time I saw John he was playing some wierdo electric guitar through his laptop, and his tone sounded like crud, too. And Paco? Well, he was a god back then, and he was a god when I saw him on his last tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicd View Post
Yeah well I switched to a Steinberger. Just can't figure out where they put the tuning pegs.
If you got it on eBay you should complain that the last owner didn't include them and return it.
Old 29th November 2015
Here for the gear

I think all guitars are different from the next one. In 1972 I called Gibson and had them make me a white spruce topped hummingbird. My friend loved it and bought one just like it. His was a lemon totally. I also have a 1979 adamas grey to Borge sunburst that after all these years has more sustain and clearer sound than my hummingbird. It took guite afew years to change but it has incredible harmonics and sustain now.
Old 9th November 2017
Here for the gear

You may not like them; but all the insults and jokes at Mr. Kaman are not nice!
Here is a short PARTIAL LIST of some of the people who played Ovations or ADAMAS Guitars; please tell me if any of the people in this forum have more reputation than these Musicians:
Adrian Legg
Marcel Dadi
Eddie Van Halen
Pat Metheny (ovation Nylon)
Glenn Campbell (Adamas and Ovation)
Al Dimeola
John McLaughin
John Denver (Adamas)
Paul McCartney (Adamas)
John Lennon
Cat Stevens
Nancy Wilson
Kaki King
Melissa Etheridge

Of these names, 4 really stand out as some of the GREATEST Acoustic Guitar Playes of all time:
1. Adrian Legg
2. Pat Metheny
3. Al Dimeola
4. Marcel Daddi

Are all these guys idiots who can not afford another guitar? I doubt it.... To each his own; there must be a reason why these Music Masters used these Guitars.
Adamas Textured top Guitars are as good as anything made out there.... I am not saying they are better, but they are just as Good.
So with all due respect, if you don't like them just say they are not for me! But to actually use those words against the designer is not nice!
Old 9th November 2017
Lives for gear

I have a 79 Ovation legend. I don't play it much anymore, as I have quite a few nice wooden guitars. But when I do drag it out of the case it really doesn't sound too bad. It is also quite an attractive guitar and unlike some of my friends who had these, this one has held up quite well for it's age.
L.
Old 9th November 2017
Here for the gear

I agree! The good ones are quite decent instruments; Rainsong is also another interesting concept... It is all part of the evolution of the instrument; we should be glad there are so many options and give credit to the contributions of the designers even if we don't play that brand.
Ovation and Adamas were very innovative guitars that helped the Acoustic Guitar evolve especially in the electronics and use of Graphite department.

I bet you 98% of the people who posted here have never played an Adamas guitar; they are RARE, expensive and fantastic instruments(especially the ones with Textured tops).
Old 9th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalo Garcia View Post
I agree! The good ones are quite decent instruments; Rainsong is also another interesting concept... It is all part of the evolution of the instrument; we should be glad there are so many options and give credit to the contributions of the designers even if we don't play that brand.
Ovation and Adamas were very innovative guitars that helped the Acoustic Guitar evolve especially in the electronics and use of Graphite department.

I bet you 98% of the people who posted here have never played an Adamas guitar; they are RARE, expensive and fantastic instruments(especially the ones with Textured tops).
I bought a Rainsong Jumbo and it took a little getting used to, but these days I keep it in open tuning and it is an excellent guitar. The low end on it is pretty unique and huge. The highs and mids are very articulate.
L.
Old 9th November 2017
I am starting a kickstarter to build a factory large enough to melt down every single Ovation in existence.
Old 10th November 2017
Here for the gear

Yes burn them all.... I would start by calling the names I listed above;they are people who don't know as much as you about Music and instruments; total idiots!
Old 10th November 2017
Here for the gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEr-lTU5DzU check this guy he has NO CLUE! And his tone sucks

also this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkzK9pXMio

total Beginners....what do they know about guitars and tone!
Old 10th November 2017
Here for the gear

Add Larry Coryell and Steve Morse to the list of Ovation users.... Two more beginners who can't play and could not afford a better instrument!!
Old 10th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCricket View Post
Never met a good Ovation in 20 years of playing. I think its time to call a gimmick a gimmick and move on.

Ive played wet shoestrings tied between two boards that have more sustain than any Ovation.

Ive handled stand up basses with easier to move strings than an Ovation.

I've played a log with more playability than an Ovation.

Seriously. If you love em, keep em. In fact, please go buy out any remaining stock from any music stores so their not on the market anymore.

If youre about to defend how great they sound when Electric.....please dont. I'll point out how you can put a piezo under a maple plank and it will make noise electrically. Ovations are a failtastic production guitar and Im stickin to it.

End rant.
I just never got this generalization thing on GS. People start these "Taylor sucks", "Uad sucks", This guitar player or that band sucks". I doubt people starting these threads have actually played every Taylor or every Ovation made. If you make thousands of instruments you are going to make some bad ones. And you are going to make some good ones. The whole premise really doesn't hold up very well. It's really just gracing the world with a bunch of negativity and no matter how trivial that negativity might be, there is enough in the world already.
L.
Old 11th November 2017
Here for the gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DflgZwmVK3s&t=566s

The great Marcel Dadi (RIP) one of the greatest fingerstyle guitar players of all time.
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I could never keep one on my lap long enough to ever hear one, they always slipped off with that pregnant belly bulging out.

WHY!??

silly design.

steelyfan
That's a feature. When it slips off your lap and on to the ground, that's where it should stay. Get a couple of kicks at it too.
Old 15th November 2017
Here for the gear

Sure.... All those players I listed don't know **** ! And their technique is so bad that the guitar does not even slip down to the floor !
Only great players experience that problem but Pat Metheny and Adrian Legg and Al Dimeola don't know what they are doing ! You obviously know more than them, and your resume speaks for itself !
I respect your opinion more than theirs for sure ....
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear

Had Ovation for 2 weeks in 1984.
Sold it (it is one of 3 guitars I've ever sold, from 150+ ac.-el.-bass axes collection).
I hope it tells it all.
Old 30th September 2018
Gear Head

Back in the mid 70s, this was the guitar to have. I was just a kid (20 y/o) who was working in a country band. So I put out the $800 and got one. Their built in pickup was kind of revolutionary for it's time. I thought I was king of the hill with it, not because it sounded good but because I HAD one. As I got a little older I started realizing that it actually sounded like a pos whether it was plugged in or not. Fast forward 3 years. One night in the middle of a set, the bridge let go, taking a chunk of the wood it was glued on with it. Funny thing is, inside I was actually happy. Today my axe of choice is the Takamine that I've been using since 1990. It sounds beautiful, plugged in or not. It could be just me but I find it keeps sounding even better with age.
Old 30th September 2018
Lives for gear

Yea,...but you're a weiner
Old 14th October 2018
Gear Addict

Low end Ovations are awful, but I have run into a few of their $1000+ guitars that sounded like actual nice guitars.
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
I tried a bunch of acoustics the other day ranging in price from $250 to $4000 and there was nothing inspiring. I have two Taylors here one is a 110 and the other is a Big Baby, they sound very good but I'm still convinced there's something better. Acoustic guitars are really weird. To my ears, a few days back in that room there was a $250 Yamaha that easily sounded better than the Hummingbird, J200 and the D28 that they had. The Larivee DO3R (wrong model number maybe) was pretty sweet but not much more than what I have. I have to agree, when I see Takemines and Ovations I cringe a little but you just never know. Always pick them up and play them first.
Get a Collings or if you can afford it a Tippin.........
Old 18th February 2019
Here for the gear

Ovation Legend and Ovation Custom Elite, both 2001

Both are wonderful quality guitars, especially considering the price. The Legend has a shallow bowl, the Custom Elite a mid depth bowl. The shallow Legend is mostly for live work, whereas the deeper Custom Elite can stand its own acoustically. I have played loads of much more expensive guitars that didn't sound or played better. In fact, I pick up the Custom Elite more often than my D45 and J200. I am not saying that the Custom Elite necessarily sounds better, but it is more enjoyable and more practical to play around with.
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You may not like them; but all the insults and jokes at Mr. Kaman are not nice!
Here is a short PARTIAL LIST of some of the people who played Ovations or ADAMAS Guitars; please tell me if any of the people in this forum have more reputation than these Musicians:
Adrian Legg
Marcel Dadi
Eddie Van Halen
Pat Metheny (ovation Nylon)
Glenn Campbell (Adamas and Ovation)
Al Dimeola
John McLaughin
John Denver (Adamas)
Paul McCartney (Adamas)
John Lennon
Cat Stevens
Nancy Wilson
Kaki King
Melissa Etheridge

Of these names, 4 really stand out as some of the GREATEST Acoustic Guitar Playes of all time:
1. Adrian Legg
2. Pat Metheny
3. Al Dimeola
4. Marcel Daddi

Are all these guys idiots who can not afford another guitar? I doubt it.... To each his own; there must be a reason why these Music Masters used these Guitars.
Adamas Textured top Guitars are as good as anything made out there.... I am not saying they are better, but they are just as Good.
So with all due respect, if you don't like them just say they are not for me! But to actually use those words against the designer is not nice!
Good thing you're not a lawyer. Your arguments would not work so well in court.
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure.... All those players I listed don't know **** ! And their technique is so bad that the guitar does not even slip down to the floor !
Only great players experience that problem but Pat Metheny and Adrian Legg and Al Dimeola don't know what they are doing ! You obviously know more than them, and your resume speaks for itself !
I respect your opinion more than theirs for sure ....
How many of them still play Ovations? I would be willing to bet most of them got them through endorsement deals.

YouTube

Here you not only get to hear one of the greatest guitarist alive completely own Al Dimeola, you also get to hear the superiority of a real guitar compared to a crappy plastic ovation.
Old 24th April 2019
Here for the gear

More people are hating Ovation guitars . I grew up with high end Ovation guitars (Legend , Campbell , Adamas 1&2, and their top of the line nylon series ) are until now among my personal guitar collections and they all to me sound great . The very first Ovation I bought was a used beat- up one . I personally drove to their Connecticut plant and spoke to them to restore everything to its original condition and they did an awesome job including the action . Then I bought several more and even those I bought new I had to really find the right tech to really find the real action to it . I still have all the above -mentioned this day and all mint condition . I respect what others said here that it’s crap . I beg to differ . It really depends on your playing . No matter what type of guitar you may have do not expect the guitar to give out the expression or emotion. Your hands should be the one to do that. Just like playing a piano, violin too. Another reason for having a bad or crappy experience with Ovation guitar is the type of guitar technician you bring your guitars to . I have a D-45, D-42 Martins and guitar center tech set everything up and still didn’t get it right and for a couple of years they sounded crappy and I never enjoyed them until I met this guy who now the only person I trust to mess with my guitar collections . It takes a very good guitar tech to get an Ovation playing and sounding really awesome . I have 35 guitar collection and the guitars I have bought are not mediocre brands and models so I think I know what I’m talking about . I have bought guitars from the cheapest to the most expensive including a McPherson and Olson . Another thing is not all songs or music material would match or fit the sound quality of just one guitar . Why do you think musicians have several ?
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Guru
Their whole schtick is the sides and back matter less than the face and that's where they are putting the money. Allowed them to make very good sounding guitars when it wasn't particularly Martin or Gibson's finest period......

The are a true PIA to play sitting down tho..... All the famous guys were probably getting great endorsement deals.... Every guitar is different so generalizing by brand is stupid, and great sounding guitars can be difficult to record, while bland ones aren't......Nothing wrong with a Rainsong if you like sustain....and playing in the shower!
Old 29th April 2019
Here for the gear

I owned the only model I ever liked from them...the Balladeer bought new about 1971. I traded it a long time ago and sorry I did.
The earlier high end models were very good. It was a great fast jazz acoustic with just the right amount of fret buzz. Only the deep bowls were any good.
Listen to the classic Glen Campbell played by John McLaughlin on "My Goals Beyond". Such a sweet sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9w8Py9pcpY&t=1163s
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

I've always hated the nylon ovations, even more when played with a pick

but today i was watching "paul mCartney and wings: roadshow" and paul played blackbird and yesterday on a electric steel string ovation and it sounded pretty good
Old 23rd July 2019
Here for the gear

I won one from WCCC r.i.p. in hartford ct. It sounds plastic unplugged, sounds plastic plugged. I had to put a piece of skateboard grip tape in the arch where your thigh goes. I hate ovation.
The b string goes sharp and the high E goes flat. I tune the e up, the b goes flat. It’s ridiculous.
When learning to play on one my bro had, I figured if i can play on that rounded backed hunk of garbage, i can do ANYTHING. Self esteem high, ovation quality LOW

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search