The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Autotune. Simple irony, really.
Old 11th January 2010
Lives for gear

Autotune. Simple irony, really.

Listening to the Beatles over the Starbucks cafe speakers yesterday, I overheard one worker saying to the other "Do you ever notice how much their voices wobble?"

So we got two forces at work here.

1. Because of exposure to autotuned vocals, listeners are less tolerant than ever of off-key or imperfect singing.

2. Because of autotune, fewer people are studying the craft and discipline of singing in tune.

Direct conflict of the two phenomena in opposite directions.

Audience is becoming "stricter."

Performers are becoming "looser."

I would say "something's gotta give," but I'm not sure that's the case.

- c
Old 11th January 2010
Gear addict

Without anymore context clues it's hard to say that the worker was indeed talking about intonation by using the word wobble. I've found that most people and even many musicians don't have very good pitch discernment. I could see some of the creative things they did with tape speed and effects being described as wobble by someone.
Old 11th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Blind View Post
Without anymore context clues it's hard to say that the worker was indeed talking about intonation by using the word wobble. I've found that most people and even many musicians don't have very good pitch discernment. I could see some of the creative things they did with tape speed and effects being described as wobble by someone.
I see what you're saying, but it was a discussion about pitch, for sure.
The whole conversation was revelatory and astonishing to me.

Pre-autotune recordings are starting to sound "funny."

It stands to reason that if you grow up with your generations' music being corrected, non-corrected musics will sound "unsteady." Maybe in a way you can't place.

- c
Old 11th January 2010
Gear addict

Hmmm interesting...

Well for one thing it really depends on who the person that made the comment is. Maybe he's a great musician or has perfect pitch, who knows?

Either way I do think that the current production style is horrible for music. Auto tune, performance timing manipulation, over compression while mixing and over limiting/clipping in mastering all combine to create more noise and less human feel and expression. Give me a human performance over a "perfect" performance any day of the week.
Old 11th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

- c
THIS has been the case since it was possible to copy/paste and edit in general, IMO. Don't just blame autotune, drummers want to sound like machines and guitarists know that bar 38 to 44 sounds better than bar 60 to 66 so fix it! The listener is getting used to this perfection and the musicians know that YOU CAN FIX IT!

DW
Old 11th January 2010
Lives for gear

If you want you can get that wobble effect with AutoTune too
Old 11th January 2010
Gear maniac

maybe she was listening to the soundtrack for 'across the universe' and heard the autotuning 'wobble' and thought they were hearing the original beatle's tracks.

i hated the original sound of the vocals in this song... i prefer 'we all wanna change the WoIIoooIiiooLD.' (sarcasm, of course)

if you haven't seen it...
YouTube - Across The Universe - Revolution
Old 11th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymedic View Post
maybe she was listening to the soundtrack for 'across the universe' and heard the autotuning 'wobble' and thought they were hearing the original beatle's tracks.

i hated the original sound of the vocals in this song... i prefer 'we all wanna change the WoIIoooIiiooLD.' (sarcasm, of course)

That was just horrific.
Old 11th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

That guy must have some sort of upgraded Stephen Hawking mk2 computer embedded in his throat. Surely there isn't anyone anywhere who could possibly think that a real person could make that noise?
Old 11th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechwood View Post
That guy must have some sort of upgraded Stephen Hawking mk2 computer embedded in his throat. Surely there isn't anyone anywhere who could possibly think that a real person could make that noise?
I sing like that acoustically...what you tryinasaybitch1!!!
Old 11th January 2010
Lives for gear

Parenthetically and coincidentally, "listen to the Beatles' multi-tracks. Check out how often the singing deviates from center pitch.

And how awesome it is.

- c
Old 11th January 2010
Lives for gear

What do you want from a place that sells $4.00 cups of coffee.....? Those poor suckers are getting autotuned crap rammed down their throats on a daily basis..
stikestike
Old 11th January 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Parenthetically and coincidentally, "listen to the Beatles' multi-tracks. Check out how often the singing deviates from center pitch.

And how awesome it is.

- c

yea... i totally prefer reality as well.
Old 12th January 2010
Quote:

Why God, why? I really didn't need to know that existed. Ewwww.
Old 12th January 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Listening to the Beatles over the Starbucks cafe speakers yesterday, I overheard one worker saying to the other "Do you ever notice how much their voices wobble?"

So we got two forces at work here.

1. Because of exposure to autotuned vocals, listeners are less tolerant than ever of off-key or imperfect singing.

2. Because of autotune, fewer people are studying the craft and discipline of singing in tune.

Direct conflict of the two phenomena in opposite directions.

- c
I totally know what you are talking about!

People don't know what is human anymore, a voice is a part of our body and will often sound how we feel.

Even the worlds best singers with best pitch can have their off days, people are so used to listening to records with autotune that when they hear a vocal which hasn't been tuned they think it sounds 'wrong' or that they are a bad singer when it might not be the case.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

They're talking about vibrato.

Young people don't know what it is and aren't used to hearing it. Modern music squashes out the vibrato. The singer in my band One-Eyed Doll uses a ton of vibrato in interesting and creative ways, and we have a lot of young fans. I see comments all the time about the "weird warbling thing" she does. I personally think it makes her stand out in a good way.

On the other hand, young singers I have coming into the studio are starting to sound like they have auto-tune on their voice when they're singing naturally. They've grown up thinking that's how you should sound and are singing that way on purpose. No vibrato, and very clean note transition.

Good singers are good singers, and every generation will have them. It's just not very mainstream to sing like John Lennon right now. In my opinion each generation has their iconic male rock singer that everyone wants to sound like. In the 60's it was John Lennon. In the 70's it was Robert Plant. In the 80's there was a split between the Simon LeBon new wave sound and the Bruce Dickinson metal sound. In the 90's it was all about Eddie Vedder. They each had a style that was distinct and easy to copy.

Today that sound IS auto-tune... I guess you could say it's Chester Bennington or Chad Kroeger. But now that sound is achieved at the press of a button and is applied to RnB singers, Rock singers, Country singers and even rappers. So yeah, the Beatles probably sound pretty weird to kids, haha.

It's like the human voice got frets. Just like violins were over taken by guitars because of their ease of use, perfect intonation and generally pleasant sound, the human voice has been replaced by a cyborg computer enhanced instrument that's easy to use, has perfect intonation and is pleasing to hear for most people.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

I can only imagine the horrors one is subjected to, listening wise, while working a shift at a mother****ing Starbucks. Those God damned albums that they sell there for one... my penis is retracting into my body as I type this...
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Not to quibble, but maybe a good argument will persuade my penis back out of my body- but guitars don't have perfect intonation.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

I should say that intonation is not a skill issue with guitar. It's a gear issue. Of course, bending and vibrato are aspects of guitar playing, but in general you don't have to have good pitch to play the guitar. Unlike violin and singing (pre 1997).
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
but maybe a good argument will persuade my penis back out of my body.
Ummm... yuck?

- c
Old 12th January 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Ummm... yuck?

- c
Lol, agreed

TMI my friend TMI
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

ahahahah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
I can only imagine the horrors one is subjected to, listening wise, while working a shift at a mother****ing Starbucks. Those God damned albums that they sell there for one... my penis is retracting into my body as I type this...
this is the funniest comment in weeks!

Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

I have this theory that the situation was either made up, or is atleast somewhat fabricated to gauge responses from others
Old 15th January 2010
wobble? maybe they were talking about vibrato..
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Device View Post
That was just horrific.
F*cking hell agreed. Ugh
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds like a job for EZ Singer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search