The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A huge disappointment with Adam quality! Studio Monitors
Old 9th November 2010
mds
Lives for gear

Just thought I'd jump in and add that my A7s have been perfect from day one. They've been my main monitor for 2+ years now. Mine were one of the first made with the rounder gain knob. No problems whatsoever and they sound great...
Old 10th November 2010
Here for the gear

Had my A7's for a couple of years and one has recently dropped a few dB's in volume (same as many others posting here).

A right pain in da ass, now to have to go thru the whole returns procedure, emais etc etc... . Especially reading some of the posts on here...

I've just brought down the non faulty monitor a few dB's to match the other,
though this is rough and by ear.

Any ideas what would be the best way to calibrate them more precisely or exactly.
Some kinda of stereo spl reader in the listening sweet spot?

If i can get it accurate enough i can avoid sending them back, and that wud be nice!

Thanks for any advice in advance thumbsup
Old 11th November 2010
Gear Addict

Recently one of my ADAM P22As gradually failed over a period of about six months then developed terrible distortion of bass frequencies.

It was very subtle at first. I finally started to notice because my mixes started becoming louder on the left side when checked on other systems. When the distortion started, then it was obvious what was happening.

Past the warranty now and I needed a fast replacement. Spent a day demoing various models and settled on a pair of powered monitors for half the price (from Yamaha of all places ). I couldn't be happier - my mixes are accurate and, above all, they translate well.
Old 13th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatoget... View Post
Had my A7's for a couple of years and one has recently dropped a few dB's in volume (same as many others posting here).

A right pain in da ass, now to have to go thru the whole returns procedure, emais etc etc... . Especially reading some of the posts on here...

I've just brought down the non faulty monitor a few dB's to match the other,
though this is rough and by ear.

Any ideas what would be the best way to calibrate them more precisely or exactly.
Some kinda of stereo spl reader in the listening sweet spot?

If i can get it accurate enough i can avoid sending them back, and that wud be nice!

Thanks for any advice in advance thumbsup

Not sure if it is the same problem , one of mine dropped quite a lot of volume and became very unresponsive to the volume control , it also lacked bass output .

I did the same as you by raising the gain on the front panel of the faulty speaker to get by (I know a dumb idea , but a busy life) .
Anyhoo , I was listening tonight and got a large spike of volume from the faulty speaker that scared the **** out of me for the drivers sake , and pissed me off no end .
In frustration I pulled the amp out for a quick look (I have no service equipment here) , I could see some rough looking solder joints and thought I will dismantle this proper at the workshop on Monday .
Reassembled the thing and the fault is gone !
Seems like it probably is a dry joint , I'll rework the PCBs on Monday and repost if all is good .
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Addict

unfortunately i've become part of the club it seems.

i am a self-confessed lover of the adam sound, however the s2x's have just wronged me in quite an unsuspected way.

i've been actually trying to sell them here at GS for quite a while-- being an owner of another pair of klein hummel's and in need to fund other studio upgrades, and after just having found a buyer and almost sealing the deal, one speaker started fluctuating in volume on me. :-[ it's quite the disappointment. indeed they've got another 4 years of warranty on them and the dealer is just around the corner from the studio to look at them, but before it's fixed the deal is clearly over. damnit adam :[ love & hate as they say. (apparently an amp issue as the tech support wrote back.)
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

I was an Adam's User for about 5 years. First i had the P11's for 2 years, then the P22's for 3 years. I thought i was happy with them until another much more experienced producer had me run basic recordings of acoustic instruments through a single P22. A Solo piano and solo bass running through the P22 pointed out some real problems these speakers have. The classical recording of an acoustic piano sounded like a midi patch... and the bass had such muddy and artificial sounding bottom that it made me realize there's no way to properly mix and record using those speakers. Not to mention the upper midrange and high end can be extremely fatiguing in long sessions. I replaced the $3000 speakers with NS10's and my mixes and masters have improved ten-fold since.
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumimusic View Post
I was an Adam's User for about 5 years. First i had the P11's for 2 years, then the P22's for 3 years. I thought i was happy with them until another much more experienced producer had me run basic recordings of acoustic instruments through a single P22. A Solo piano and solo bass running through the P22 pointed out some real problems these speakers have. The classical recording of an acoustic piano sounded like a midi patch... and the bass had such muddy and artificial sounding bottom that it made me realize there's no way to properly mix and record using those speakers. Not to mention the upper midrange and high end can be extremely fatiguing in long sessions. I replaced the $3000 speakers with NS10's and my mixes and masters have improved ten-fold since.
if your mixes were fine until someone showed you something, and they subsequently got worse, that's a pretty disturbing scenario isn't it ;-] i really like the p22s, although they're not as strict as the s-series for instance. it's all about translation though, right? some people love klein&hummel and consider them the best speaker, some wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole. adam are possibly even more polarizing, but i'm running k&h as well as adam and love both (for different reasons). if NS10s improve your mixes so much then kudos to you, they're cheaper after all! i really wouldn't want to mix on them. re the fatigue: that's surprising to hear. adam tweeters are very easy on my ears, esp. compared to titanium tweeters (similar to the silk-dome i've tried, but much more precise).
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Love my P22a. Piano sounds great.I dont share the view of rumimusic at all.
Old 28th December 2011
Lives for gear

my A7x's have been flawless
Old 1st January 2012
Love for Adam gear and stuff.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search