The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A huge disappointment with Adam quality! Studio Monitors
Old 19th March 2010
Here for the gear

Some correspondance with ADAM rep. in Berlin

Hi all,

For those interested in the ongoing quality debate going on:

Here is some more correspondence with the ADAM customer support. I had originally contacted them about the upcoming release of the A7X... but also wanted to get feedback regarding customer support and quality.

Here goes (My questions and his answers):

I have read many consumer complaints on website forums (Gearslutz.com for example), and I have received negative feedback from local pro-audio dealers regarding the quality control and customer support around the ADAM brand, specifically in regards to the A7 model.

One dealer in San Francisco had the following comments when I asked about his impression of the ADAM A7 monitors:

“we've sold them, i am out now. I can tell you that no 2 ever sound alike, and they are thin sounding, and compared to Dyn or Focal, poorly built. How's that for an endorsement? … it is surprising. We’ve had multiple defectives, loose ports, sequential sn #'d pairs do not sound , etc.. I think they aim for that model to be the entry level product, and cut some corners? … they have very poor Customer support here in the US since they re-organized. Was excellent previously.”

Can you comment on this? Has customer support in the USA lost its focus? I have also read that the A7 is made in China but tested in Germany. I understand that this keeps costs down to be able to provide the home studio/ consumer market with high level products. Would you say that quality control and customer support has become less of a focus for ADAM with this consumer marketed product? I imagine that ADAM has a very keen interest on remaining competitive in this market. Has focus been shifted from support for the A7 in preparation for the new product release?
The customer support in the US hasn’t actually changed in the US but the entire subsidiary has been reorganized last year. ADAM US moved from the west coast to the east coast and we exchanged the staff completely. It took a moment to get everything reorganized and back to normal I have to admit but service and support hasn´t actually changed as we work with several service centers all over the entire US who are served with parts from ADAM.

The comment you have received from a dealer in San Francisco is a bit odd to say the very least. If this was the case for instance GC would probably not order containers of A7.

The entire ADAM production, no matter what kind of speaker needs to be assembled is in Berlin, Germany only. On top of this our unique tweeters are hand folded and hand made her in our factory in Berlin, and in Berlin only. There is no other place of manufacturing of ADAM´s anywhere.

Please understand that this in no way reflects my personal experience with ADAM, however limited it may be. I am just trying to understand why there has been recent negative feedback in recent years. It seems that there was a reorganization that occurred that potentially damaged some customer and distributor relationships.
Some negative feedback has occurred after the change of the entire crew at ADAM US. Reason for this was that some dealers built a long relationship with the former sales staff at ADAM USA and did not like the idea they need to get used to the new crew.
But, I would advice give them a ring in our US office at +1 (516) 6810690 or drop them a line at [email protected] . I´m sure our president Bob Caputo or VP Roger Fortier will be glad to help you to find an appropriate dealer in the SF area and advise in more detail availability of the new AX range in the US.

Hope this helps a bit further, thanks again for your ongoing interest in the ADAM´s and best regards
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

New models look amazing... I sell them in NZ we have had a demo A7s running without fault but cant wait to hear the new models.... hope the build quality ensures these issues dont arise... cuz I am yet to hear speakers better than ADAM's (Sx anyway)
Old 24th March 2010
Myr
Gear Addict

Never had a problem with my A7's.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Addict

Love mine too
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Maniac

my a7s are doing great...and I didn't even know about that 5 year warranty...that's niceheh
Old 4th May 2010
TC5
Lives for gear

Has anyone considered or gone ahead with modding / upgrading any problematic components in the A7? Keeping the A7 sound but making them into more reliable units?
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC5 View Post
Has anyone considered or gone ahead with modding / upgrading any problematic components in the A7? Keeping the A7 sound but making them into more reliable units?
That sounds like a great idea.

(Exactly what I did with a pair of Alesis M1 Active MKII's.)
Old 5th May 2010
TC5
Lives for gear

There might be a significant opportunity for a third party to offer mods for the A7. Or perhaps a DIY kit of upgraded parts?
Old 26th May 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
There might be a significant opportunity for a third party to offer mods for the A7. Or perhaps a DIY kit of upgraded parts?
Yes, like replacing the woofer unit with Eaton or Seas? Yummy.
Old 26th May 2010
Here for the gear

I've had the A7's for a little over a year and also have no problems to report. I ran a sine wave test through them to check for anomalies and didn't run across any resonation or rattle. I also don't have any hiss I ran all the faders and speaker pots all the way up and...silence.
All of my studio equipment is run through conditioners with staged shutdown/startup so I only ever use one power button.
It's disappointing to hear about people's issues with support though. I understand how they feel and I would be the same way. I've yet to have any issues though, and I normally run mine at -8db when tracking and around -27db listening/mixing. I do plan on adding a sub8 sometime in the future as some days I do want a little more bass from them. My room is currently untreated and I can hear the bass better from adjacent rooms or downstairs than at the listening position so, more of a room problem than the monitors.
Old 16th June 2010
Here for the gear

Disappointed ? Not Alone
Recently tested Adam S3X-H but no luck . A1 55-56 Hz sweep woke up
rattle snake in the left monitor. It seems both, high or low end
Adams suffer the same rattling symptoms.
My idea of getting a pair is falling a part on shaky grounds.

Old 18th June 2010
Gear Maniac

They haven't reply to my emails for a week
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMilos View Post
They haven't reply to my emails for a week

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-...r-support.html

telephone number posted in thread
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

yes, voiding the warranty, and leaving you with an entirely different speaker.

sounds smart to me. thumbsup
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

TR man, you are the voice of reason! but sadly I dont think many listen... I have not had any issues with servicing from ADAM ever, are people going through their dealers? Cuz we have the ppl doing the repairs as well as Katarina reply to our emails swiftly, get repairs or parts sorted and we are half a world away. If someone is having a hardtiome reaching adam just find a dealer, ask them to contact and sort out for you. We have been told by ADAM to send over repairs for ADAMs that were not bought through us because we just recently became NZ first dealers and they did not want ADAM users from before to feel isolated. What other company does that?!?!?
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

and so it begins....

just had a 6 month old A7's LED go out. Start of the downward spiral? Doubt I can send it back over this....
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

They will send a part out, you can retro fit it or your dealer should do it for you, you will have like a couple day downtime unless they have demos to loan....
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPile View Post

Disappointed ? Not Alone
Recently tested Adam S3X-H but no luck . A1 55-56 Hz sweep woke up
rattle snake in the left monitor. It seems both, high or low end
Adams suffer the same rattling symptoms.
My idea of getting a pair is falling a part on shaky grounds.

I'm getting port noise rattle in both my a7x when doing a sine sweep between 40hz and 70hz. I only hear it over a certain volume.

We're discussing it currently on the ax thread. Hopefully more people can test their ax range and report back there.
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
They will send a part out, you can retro fit it or your dealer should do it for you, you will have like a couple day downtime unless they have demos to loan....
Tell you what, spoke to Kevin at Adam UK, within 2 days I had the part and it was semi-easy to fit. Very happy with the turnaround and service!

Crappy iPhone pic but you can see what happened with the old one, slightly worrying!
Attached Thumbnails
A huge disappointment with Adam quality!-photo.jpg  
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Cool stuff! Glad you are sorted!
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander
The entire ADAM production, no matter what kind of speaker needs to be assembled is in Berlin, Germany only. On top of this our unique tweeters are hand folded and hand made her in our factory in Berlin, and in Berlin only. There is no other place of manufacturing of ADAM´s anywhere.
So, how did the whole "A7s are made in China" thing start? I've heard that since day one.

Old 10th July 2010
Lives for gear

Gearslutz chinese whispers?
Old 10th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
So, how did the whole "A7s are made in China" thing start? I've heard that since day one.

Ask Richard Jewell!

Old 14th July 2010
Lives for gear

Oh lordy
I may have a problem , my left speaker has lost a huge amount of volume .
This speaker started to make a small crackle when started up warm (after a dinner break etc) and has possibly faulted now .
I will check leads and attenuator later and let you all know .
Hoping at worst it is a dry joint with the thermal clue .
Old 20th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Yup I've got the same problems with my Adam P11's, along with a rattling in the bass port of one of the speakers and bit of plastic that was coming off at the top and needed gluing.

I really love the Adam sound, but the unfortunate truth is the build quality is really really bad
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

is your model still under warranty? I would return it...
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

I'm talking to Adam about getting them repaired .
There is some confusion with the warranty period , but the out of phase / incorrectly wired sockets has been confirmed by the service centre .

I am not too concerned with the fact they have faulted , just that this may be an indication of how they may perform in the future .
Old 20th October 2010
Deleted b026123
does anyone know a way that fixes the a7 "vibration at sub frequencies" issue? one that doesn't void the warranty?

if the only solution is a new cone (to me it doesn't sound like a cone problem because the thing would vibrate at low/mid frequencies too right?)will they send me a new cone to fit myself? or do i have to send it back to adam in order to prove there's something wrong with it? i don't really want to have to do that right now. i can still work with them how they are now, just it's a bit annoying.
Old 20th October 2010
Gear Addict

I didnt read the thread but I jsut have to say that I love the adam 2.5 A speakers active sub that we have at our studio. They sound amazing and Ive never had an issue with them.
Bigos
Old 1st November 2010
Here for the gear

My new Adam Audio Monitors

Hello all. The following commentary is based on less than 12 hours of usage for general listening, audio comparisons, and mixing of live tracks. I'll try to remember to update this post in a month or so.

Adam Audio A7x: Over a broad range of material, the bass is a little light (read on), IMHO, but not disappointing - it is only a 7 inch speaker, after all. What I mean by this is that I think the bass is light compared to the mids and highs. Hit ""Hear Now!" by Gerald Veasely for a great demonstration of these speakers. Bass is tight and definite on this track - and all that you'd ever want, I think. But other tracks by other bands, recorded in varying levels of quality and EQ, have bass that is a bit light compared to the rest of the freqs. For example, the track "Heavy Love" by Buddy Guy has a bass line that goes WAY down in the beginning of the song. On these speakers, you can barely hear it - but you can hear it. Oh, you hear the bass just fine, but I know from experience on high end systems that there's more there. The track "Cream" by Prince is another excellent demo of these speakers and things are more balanced on that track. The highs are almost icy they're so crystal clear - they sound amazing. There seems to be a flat response, based on a variety of material, that translates well. I find these speakers to be well-balanced in terms of mid-range. So: they sound GREAT on GREAT material that's recorded with high production values and quality. And they really show poor production values, or old recordings like James Brown. Stereo image is astounding and, to be frank, a little uncanny because it's so defined. When listening to a mono track, like "Make It Funky" by James Brown, it's like the speakers aren't even in the room. Instead there's some magic invisible system floating in the air right in front of you (with proper alignments and distances, of course) and you CANNOT hear the individual speakers. I am impressed, but I'm also going to get the ADAM Audio Sub7 7inch Subwoofer to go along with these. . .and see what happens. My studio area, by the way, is a very stylish and high-tech basement <sarcasm> that is nowhere near audio heaven yet. It's about 14 x 22 feet as far as my "active" area goes. I've been listening to these for about an hour now and I know for sure that my ears are now ruined for any other system. Highs: stunning. Mids: good/great. Lows: good. Sub-bass: fair to good. Stereo image: almost scary good.

Later, I purchased the Adam Audio Sub8 as well. Again, IMHO, the Adam A7X pairs and the Adam Sub8 is one amazing system. They sound incredible. Crystal clear highs, great mids, and the bass is almost holy. Most enthusiastically recommended.

My current project is mixing 22 tracks of live-recorded material from a Chicago band called Greensugar. The Adam system shines a very bright light on the whole thing. Incredible definition and truth-in-imaging when it comes to depth and height of sonic field. They are really helping in making decisions because of their clarity. In fact, now that I've worked with them more, I've turned down the ribbon tweeter from factory setting (on the back of the speakers on the A7Xs) from -2db to -4 db because they actually sound/feel a little too bright. The Sub8 has a remote control and it's tempting to mess with it in terms of changing the crossover/hi pass frequency and the overall volume of the sub, but I set it based on a reference track of similar material and then leave it alone. I leave the hipass at 80 Hz at all times now. It's a little tighter than the factory setting (for surround) of 85. What I'm worried about, and will see when I audition on various systems, is indeed how they translate to other systems. A buddy of mine came over and checked the system out and he said the exact same thing I said "Now I'm ruined for other systems!" I gotta figure out how to install these things in my truck.........I listened to a My Morning Jacket show that we recorded live with my buddy's high end mics and preamps and I couldn't believe how good the show sounded on these monitors.

I was running these at 85-105 db, measured with an SPL meter suspended by one of my ears, set for C-weighting.

More to come . . .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search