The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A huge disappointment with Adam quality! Studio Monitors
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

All this makes me think there's a market for a really good near-field monitor in kit form.

I LOVE the quality-control deal on really good kits!

(I have an old HeathKit Oscilloscope that works great!)

Old 3rd January 2010
Here for the gear

This thread has talked me right out of buying a pair of A7's.......especially after the one guy has been ignored for so long......wow
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichiePo View Post
This thread has talked me right out of buying a pair of A7's.......especially after the one guy has been ignored for so long......wow
Not only will i not buy these things, but next time someone asks "which monitors do you recommend?" i will answer "anything but ADAM"
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear Addict

I have A7's and haven't had any problems.
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by neirbod View Post
For me the bigger issue is not some quality control issues that may have since been fixed, but poor customer service. I have emailed and left voice mails, and still no response from Adam's U.S. office in over a week.
Update: I did hear back from Adam about at week ago (haven't been on GS over the holidays). They set me up with a repair center in VA. Total time elapsed between my first email and a substantive response was 10 days. Too long in my opinion, but at least I now know what I need to do.
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Head

I've had my A7's for a little over a year and one of the power switches went out about a month ago. No big deal, I thought. Must be a fluke. 5-year warranty so no big deal, right?

Wrong.

Apparently since it's a button you push with your finger (twice a day, I might add) they wouldn't replace it under warranty and I had to pay the authorized repair shop out of my own pocket.

I'm going speaker shopping next week.
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky View Post
I have A7's and haven't had any problems.
+1

I was running Dynaudio bm6a's for years. Then, about a year ago, I had to buy new monitors. (change of studio... had to leave the Dyns behind)

I listened to the A7's next to a set of bm6a's.... much preferred the A7's.... plus the A7's were half the price.

Sold!

And loving them.
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

tried to get hold of some Adam A7's for a customer (I work at a guitar shop called Seymour Duncan Guitar Pickups Specalist U.K. Supplier) and because we don't turn over enough money to be VAT registered we "weren't classed as a PROPER business" very cheeky indeed. After they said the product was shipping!

Thanks Adam Audio UK. Glad you can throw money away that easily and disappoint my customers, not good for business.
Old 10th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neirbod View Post
Update: I did hear back from Adam about at week ago (haven't been on GS over the holidays). They set me up with a repair center in VA. Total time elapsed between my first email and a substantive response was 10 days. Too long in my opinion, but at least I now know what I need to do.
Yeah? Not to be condescending or anything, but with 7 posts on this forum, joining in Oct. '09, and seeing the deceiving techniques of ADAM blatantly and shamelessly displayed in this thread, I'm a bit suspicious.

But, as I said, no disrespect meant. Please, for the love of God, if you did indeed manage to reach ADAM, enlighten us all and let us know how.

I mean, damn, I feel like ADAM is holding themselves deity-high and that I have to talk through some sort of monitor-pope to get a hold of them. Anybody have his contact information? Does he also wear a funny hat? Or maybe it's just a dunce cap...

With as many people as there are disgruntled on this board, I don't think much work would have to be done to gather a crowd in support of a civil suit against ADAM for their breach of common-law contracts (warranty)...
Old 10th January 2010
Gear Addict

I would be interested in seeing a pole of happy A7 users and un-happy A7 users.
I can't believe there are so many issues surfacing.
Old 10th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathawkes View Post
I would be interested in seeing a pole of happy A7 users and un-happy A7 users.
I can't believe there are so many issues surfacing.
There are plenty of threads with happy A7 users. This is one of the few threads where users are encouraged to display negative user reviews, which is why it is full of negative responses.

I am one of those who displayed a dislike for the manufacturing defects of the A7, while I was very close to buying but did not. Every monitor line will have flaws and random failures, but the way ADAM is handling it is pretty awful and unprofessional. I think that is why so many are pissed off....
Old 10th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheus83 View Post
There are plenty of threads with happy A7 users.
Very True.
Old 11th January 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I'm not questioning that you have a problem, but have you made absolutely sure that your monitor stand or something else is not rattling?

Little rattles are very tough to track down. Given that the rattle is very subtle it just might be something other than the speaker.

Often when I think there is a problem like this, I find that swapping the speakers doesn't move the problem to the other side. Then I know to track down what is actually the problem.

Of course, you may have already down this.

No, I changed the speakers from one monitor to another and the same speaker rattles.
The speaker looks brand new. It was never played too loud.

Old 11th January 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio_4346 View Post
Yeah? Not to be condescending or anything, but with 7 posts on this forum, joining in Oct. '09, and seeing the deceiving techniques of ADAM blatantly and shamelessly displayed in this thread, I'm a bit suspicious.

But, as I said, no disrespect meant. Please, for the love of God, if you did indeed manage to reach ADAM, enlighten us all and let us know how.
I'm not sure how my posts could be interpreted as in any way supporting Adam's customer support. In any event, I am happy to share the emails I received, along with some contact info, that may be helpful to others.

I found the main office in Germany to be very responsive. Below is the email I got from them after I emailed them a second time following one week of no response from the USA office. This email came from [email protected]

-----------------
I'm sorry to hear that no-one followed up until now.
The way you describe your problem I think you would need a new
amplifier unit. My colleagues from the New York office should have
some on stock and be able to organize the repair. I wil remind them
once again to follow up soon.
I hope your problem will be solved asap.
If you have any further questions please fee free to ask me again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

ADAM Audio GmbH
Ederstrasse 16
12059 Berlin
Germany

ADAM Audio GmbH
+49 30 86300970 (fon)
+49 30 86300977 (fax)

-------------
Here is the email I eventually got from Adam USA:
[email protected]

Sorry for the problem you are having with our speakers. We will cover factory defects for five years. The nearest repair center to you is:

Universal Electronics
1112 E. Market ST
Suite #26F
Charlottesville, VA 22902
(434) 974-1519

Please contact them and they can walk you through the next steps.

Sincerely,

ADAM Audio USA
21 Tec Street
Hicksville, NY 11801
(516) 681-0690
-----------------------
I also have some email addresses of specific people that I can share offline. Feel free to PM me.
Old 20th January 2010
Here for the gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmckaygibson View Post
i've had my a7's for a little over a year and one of the power switches went out about a month ago. No big deal, i thought. Must be a fluke. 5-year warranty so no big deal, right?

Wrong.

Apparently since it's a button you push with your finger (twice a day, i might add) they wouldn't replace it under warranty and i had to pay the authorized repair shop out of my own pocket.

I'm going speaker shopping next week.

same happen to me!!! Adam worst custumer service warranty!!!
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Nut

Hi, I have had a lot of brands and models at my studio, such as Genelec 1031, Tannoy system 12, Dynaudio BM15 passive, KRK Rokit5, NS10M... you name it. Now I own a pair of passive H2M's (hifi series) and also work a lot with a friend's A7's.
These ADAM monitors are the first I feel I can rely on. No other I have had/worked with, including NS10M's, translate as well as ADAMs (I have never tried ATC, PMC or Focal to name a few). I will buy as soon as I can a pair of S3X (as soon as Spain gets off the crisis, perhaps in a pair of... centuries?).

But I agree Adam seems to manufacture their speakers with two quality standards, the cheap series and the expensive ones.
Not excusing Adam to do so, but I have assumed quality has a cost, and A7's are a jewel (when they work, as it's our case by now...)

And about same model of Adam monitors having different setups, I have seen things you people wouldn't believe, as two passive Adam monitors with consecutive numbers and a completely different bottom design (with and w/o screws),... although they were o.k. sonically. If you don't believe it just ask me for a pic.
But I'm lucky with mine, as they do work for me by now. For sure we all know how uncomfortable is to work wuth stuff you cannot rely on, but at the end of the day I am less of a Gear slut and just want to listen to music, till I can...

Excuse my English. Cheers.
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Maniac

Here's what I don't get and maybe someone could shed some light on the subject. If there is a problem with the A7 and it does drop in volume why is it only happening to one speaker. Wouldn't both of them diminish in out put over time. Keep in mind these speakers aren't sold in pairs meaning there isn't a left or right model they are both the same. Maybe there is just inconsistency with output through out.
Old 24th January 2010
Here for the gear

I have a couple of Adam A5 and now the new S3X-V. I also tested the S3X-H here in my studio. I have to say these are the best monitor i have heard. For me are perfect. The A5 are a really good compromise if you are not going to sped much money and have a good starting point for mixing your songs.

Alex from Italy
Old 31st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujumies View Post
This is just unbelievable! How can their quality suck so much. Really pisses me off. Especially now when they don't even bother to answer any of my emails. I have already send 5 emails with no replies.

If you do a search you will see that there are lots of people with same problems regarding A7's...

Simo
Yeah, after a week of using my A7's I noticed a bad rattle/buzzing sound in the woofer on one of the A7's. It's not so noticeable in the mix, but if you solo bass guitar it can hear it. To make sure it wasn't somehow the recording I ran a 70hz tone and just one of the two speakers made the noise. After the dealer and I sent a few e-mails and made a few calls, we finally got them to replace it. A week after that, the other one started doing the same thing. After a few more calls and e-mails I finally got a response that another new one "will be shipping tomorrow", we'll see how long that takes.

I haven't even pushed them too loud, I run them at -18 to calibrate them with my NS-10 amp, all is being fed via Avocet, which is a high quality unit.

I will admit that I really like the sound of the A7's, especially in my room, but it seems like the quality of at least some of the models, and the customer support, at least in the US could be very much improved. I am considering going for a pair of Focal Twins at this point.
Old 9th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post
No, he's right. I just noticed the same problem on my A7's. It's not noticable in the music, but when you solo the bass, one of the speakers is rattling, even at normal listening level. It's coming from the middle of the speaker cone.

Peter.
Yes, yes is true i have the same problem (and no is not the portnoise).

I had to switch for a new woofer and guess what, the new one came defective, unbelievable!!

so i'm still waiting for the second one (since October).

I thought that the A7 were for pro work, but definitely they are not. I have to look further... maybe genelec's, mackie?!
Old 9th February 2010
Gear Addict
They are made in china. What can you expect? Poor quality and expensive!!
Old 9th February 2010
Gear Addict

Had a pair of A7 back when they came out, build and finish flawless. Same with a pair of A5 which i still use as "pc speakers"
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atfreddyshouse View Post

I had to switch for a new woofer and guess what, the new one came defective, unbelievable!!

I thought that the A7 were for pro work, but definitely they are not. I have to look further... maybe genelec's, mackie?!
The replacement of my first A7 went somewhat smooth...but when the 2nd one started having the woofer issue, I had to e-mail them daily for a week to get a response that it would be "going out tomorrow". Then after a week and no tracking number, I had to e-mail them again a bunch to get a tracking number, the 2nd replacement A7 should be here tomorrow. As soon at it shows up they're both going back to the dealer in exchange for some Focal Twins. Too bad, cause the A7's sound pretty nice, especially for the price, but I guess the trade off to good sound at that price is poor construction.

Also, the guy I am working with at ADAM thinks it's an isolated incident possibly related to shipping? Maybe, but if they checked their e-mail more they'd probably realize it's not an isolated incident, sounds like quite a few people are having the same issue.
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atfreddyshouse View Post

Genelec 1032s will give you about the same level of performance, forget the 80x series (I use them every day). Mackie - bleh, haven't heard anything from them which is comparable IMO. I like the HR624 the most, but even then, they're not a touch on A7s IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibravibra View Post
They are made in china. What can you expect? Poor quality and expensive!!
How are they expensive? Genelec is expensive IMO, not Adam.
Old 9th February 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Genelec 1032s will give you about the same level of performance, forget the 80x series (I use them every day). Mackie - bleh, haven't heard anything from them which is comparable IMO. I like the HR624 the most, but even then, they're not a touch on A7s IMO.

How are they expensive? Genelec is expensive IMO, not Adam.
800 euros is a lot of money for monitors which have to be repaired in a year or two, don't you think so??
Old 9th February 2010
Gear Maniac

This is very unfortunate. I have a set of Adams that I have had for since they came out and they are great. When I had a question about the speaker, they contacted me back within 3 hours by telephone. I think it sucks that Gearslutz turns into a "rock throwing" contest so often. When you're are mass producing a product, eventually some bad things happen. I haven't owned an Apple computer in 3 years that hasn't had to be sent in for repair but I deal with it respectfully and I'm patient and everything gets fixed promptly. I think it's sad that this thread has turned a lot of potential customers away because of a problem that may not be experienced. On the other hand, I'm sorry for your inconvenience.
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

Both my A7's developed the distortion problem within a month of each other. They were about 6-8 months old. I posted earlier about the first one.

On the positive side, Adam in Germany have been extremely helpful and both speakers will be replaced free of charge. I hope they have fixed whatever the problem was and that the replacements will last. Great speakers when they don't break down but if I had known about all the problems I wouldn't have bought them.

Hopefully the problems have been sorted out on newer A7's but only Adam can answer this question.
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibravibra View Post
800 euros is a lot of money for monitors which have to be repaired in a year or two, don't you think so??
Because absolutely EVERY A7 has to be repaired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveseviltwin View Post
This is very unfortunate. I have a set of Adams that I have had for since they came out and they are great. When I had a question about the speaker, they contacted me back within 3 hours by telephone. I think it sucks that Gearslutz turns into a "rock throwing" contest so often. When you're are mass producing a product, eventually some bad things happen. I haven't owned an Apple computer in 3 years that hasn't had to be sent in for repair but I deal with it respectfully and I'm patient and everything gets fixed promptly. I think it's sad that this thread has turned a lot of potential customers away because of a problem that may not be experienced. On the other hand, I'm sorry for your inconvenience.
+1

I emailed Adam UK support, and had an email back within a few hours, with a phone number to ring if I wanted to talk about it which took me directly through to Adam himself.
Old 10th February 2010
Gear Head

i hope for adam- audio they get the problems with the A7 fixed.

i am long term adam user.

i and friends of mine have the past 5 years 2x sub8, 2x pairs p11a, 1x pair s2a, 1x pair s3a,1x pair p22a

all without one scratch and 100% technically ok,with other Handcrafted gear like SVS or Focal had always trouble with half-faulty and scratched gear.

here in germany i droped a s2a on the floor they changed the housing, it did cost me only 80 euros and 5 days to wait(remember one s2a cost 1250 euros), very good service.

for me there is no disappointment with adam quality.
Old 18th March 2010
Here for the gear

Test Report - ADAM A7 in China

Here is an interesting test report - Found it on facebook so it certainly can't be verified, but it would not surprise me if found to be true.

ADAM A7 studio monitor Testing Report | Facebook

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search