The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A huge disappointment with Adam quality! Studio Monitors
Old 17th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheus83 View Post
In all seriousness, I am interested in either the A7's or the CMS 50's (similar price)... That is actually why I am so interested in this thread.

The problem is, now I feel like I'd be taking more of a "chance" on Adam, as opposed to basing it just on the sound.

So to you Perelandra, I hope you never have any issues! And in 3-6 months, if you get a PM from me, you'll know I'm asking you how they're holding up. Cheers.
Please feel free too. Most of the press on these is from serial numbers far below where they are at manufacturing wise today. I'm not worried in the least bit.
Old 17th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perelandra05 View Post
Please feel free too. Most of the press on these is from serial numbers far below where they are at manufacturing wise today. I'm not worried in the least bit.
For me the bigger issue is not some quality control issues that may have since been fixed, but poor customer service. I have emailed and left voice mails, and still no response from Adam's U.S. office in over a week. Come on, Adam! Pick up the phone!
Old 17th December 2009
Lives for gear

I have the bass resonance distortion problem on one of my 6 months old A7's. Also, one day the same speaker suddenly dropped i volume. I turned it off, re-inserted xlr and turned back on. Back to original level but still distortion.
Old 17th December 2009
Here for the gear

I'm sorry to hear about the problems with Adam 7s. I have owned a pair for about a year and have had no problems. After reading this thread, I will cross my fingers and hope this continues to be the case.........
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

now the problem I have is that I'm very close to buying a set of mons, I want the A7's as anything that I've heard on youtube (especially James Lugo's stuff) coming through Adam monitors sounds soo good, but I have the chance to get some cheapish PMC TB2's or DB1's but passive, and cannot afford the likes of Bryston et al. This is why I'am back at the A7.

This whole thread just scares me! lol
Old 18th December 2009
Gear Maniac

I bought a brand new pair of A7s last week from GC. Serial numbers in the P-806XX range. Both are perfect out of the box, totally equal in level and no quality concerns period. I have about 40 hours on them, so far so good. Paired them up with the new series KRK K10S foot switchable 10" sub which was on sale for $370.
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The percentage of A7s that have problems is probably the same as for Adam's other products.

The absolute number of those with problems is higher as there are so many A7s out there.
That may be part of it, but I highly doubt that's the whole story.

The A7 speakers are made in China, unlike the others which are all made in Germany. I'd expect there to be more quality control issues, and they're priced accordingly as well. And even though I'm sure that the A7s outsell the others by a wide margin, there are still a lot of people out there who are using other models in the line, and many of them were using them years before the A7s were even on the market. If there was a similar amount of issues percentage-wise I'm sure we would have heard more about it.

Having said all that, I've had a pair of A7s for maybe two or three years now with no issues...

Quote:
I remember a customer who bought a $20 warranty on a pair of $100 headphones. I guess because he inadvertently sat on them AON wouldn't give him money for a replacement.
That's a pretty good reason not to, isn't it?
Old 18th December 2009
Elk
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post

And even though I'm sure that the A7s outsell the others by a wide margin, there are still a lot of people out there who are using other models in the line, and many of them were using them years before the A7s were even on the market. If there was a similar amount of issues percentage-wise I'm sure we would have heard more about it.
This certainly may be the case. With only anecdotal evidence it's hard for us to tell. Adam knows but is unlikely to share the objective data.

Quote:
The A7 speakers are made in China, unlike the others which are all made in Germany.
I've seen various posts stating this, but do we know this is true? I am not challenging the statement, just hoping to find a definitive source as to whether this is the case.

(You are dead on with respect to the headphones. Sitting on them is not a warranty issue. Sheesh.)
Old 18th December 2009
Here for the gear

Hello everyone...

I only wrote a few posts on this board within last few months, and all are about adam a7.

I first noticed that the tweeters on my monitors are not the same.
The ribbon on one is monuted near to the grill an the other away from the grill.
It seems like there are two types of A7s, one with the first type of tweeter and the other with second.
So, as they sell the speakers by piece, you can easily get the different tweeters in one pair.

Then I noticed the level problem. This is, as I see, the usual problem.

Ok... I could deal with this.

Then, while I was listening to some bass guitar takes, I noticed that one of the speakers is making noise. Resonating noise. On higher bass levels.

Ok... now it became more frustrating, I could handle everything, but not the sound problems.

During this, I mailed few e-mails to adam. Usa and Europe...

No one answered. No support at all.

In my country, these speakers cost 1300$ for pair.
I wasn't expecting that the quallity control would be as on the 10$ multimedia speakers.
I expected them to work perfectly for the price they cost.

Still, no ADAM support answered my e-mails.

I'm in Croatia.
I bought these speakers few months ago.

I really like the sound of these monitors, and in the future i thought of buying some more expensive ADAM speakers... but the quallity control.... and the support.....

Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Well I've rang Adam UK today, left a voicemail and still had no reply.

Tut Tut
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post

<snip>
Adam knows but is unlikely to share the objective data.
<snip>
This inherent problem with manufacturers is exactly why I made Post #136.

Old 18th December 2009
Here for the gear

It seems that one of my woofer is rattling, but the monitors are brand new.

And I see over the internet, I'm not the only one with this problem. Many people have this problem, with one woofer making rattling noise when reproducing bass frequencies... and 'i'm not event talking about high pressure levels here, but moderate listening levels.

It is not so detectable when the music is played on, only with solo instruments when monitoring.

How poor is the quality control of this product, when they are sold with broken woofers?

These monitors could be top sellers, because they really sound good, how could these things happen to manufacturer of mostly high end gear?

Old 18th December 2009
Elk
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
This inherent problem with manufacturers is exactly why I made Post #136.
I am referring to a very different kind of information, but I agree with you that Adam may additionally know why certain problems are occurring.
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger22 View Post
It seems that one of my woofer is rattling, but the monitors are brand new.

And I see over the internet, I'm not the only one with this problem. Many people have this problem, with one woofer making rattling noise when reproducing bass frequencies... and 'i'm not event talking about high pressure levels here, but moderate listening levels.

It is not so detectable when the music is played on, only with solo instruments when monitoring.

How poor is the quality control of this product, when they are sold with broken woofers?

These monitors could be top sellers, because they really sound good, how could these things happen to manufacturer of mostly high end gear?

where did you get them from?
Old 18th December 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakiekid View Post
where did you get them from?

I'm in Croatia, from one of our main audio equipment seller.

They are good shop, I never had problems with them, and they take care of they customers... but i need these monitors now and i don't know how long will it take for them to replace the woofer...

It should be the most simple thing to repair, just to put the new woofer in.

As i said, this rattling sound is not detectable when the entire mix is reproduced, just when monitoring the individual sounds, like bass guitar...

As for the different tweeters, the seller said that this doesn't matter in reproduction of the sound... i can agree with that... you can detect some subtle difference in high frequencies when a/b each monitors, but it is not audiable in stereo listening...

The difference in levels is probably not 5db, but few db less... when on "5" (middle), the level knobs are not in the same position, so maybe this is a problem from different calibration of knobs... it easy to set them on 5 because they make click, but you must dial the higher or lower volume settings...

The woofer that works good, has no noise, it has a good punchy sound, handles high levels well, I would surely like to have that sound in my both woofers...

Don't get me wrong, I really like the sound of Adams, and I'll stick to them, it's just so frustrating... when you buy a new thing and you have to worry about repairment...

Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

think my cross over is on it's way out on my right S3A tweeter keeps cutting out intermittently , just out of warranty dam !!!
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post

That's a pretty good reason not to, isn't it?
Yeah, I was trying to make a point about how GC doesn't take warranty items in store.

I agree with you.
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

I totally agree with everyone saying the A7's sound great... until... they die! Soundwise they are the best monitors I have owned. Qualitywise they are the most useless piece of **** gear I have ever come across.

Come on, even all my cheapest Behringer gear have outlived the A7's by a long time. This thread shows that the A7's are mass produced crap with lots of quality control issues.

I wish I had seen this thread before buying!!!
Old 19th December 2009
Elk
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger22 View Post

As i said, this rattling sound is not detectable when the entire mix is reproduced, just when monitoring the individual sounds, like bass guitar...
I'm not questioning that you have a problem, but have you made absolutely sure that your monitor stand or something else is not rattling?

Little rattles are very tough to track down. Given that the rattle is very subtle it just might be something other than the speaker.

Often when I think there is a problem like this, I find that swapping the speakers doesn't move the problem to the other side. Then I know to track down what is actually the problem.

Of course, you may have already down this.
Old 19th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.F.Sorrow View Post

I wish I had seen this thread before buying!!!
I'm GLAD I saw this thread before buying!

Unfortunately for me, it probably means I spend much more than the A7 price range to get something equivalent sound-wise... Maybe Focal Solo or Twin !!!! hehhehheh
Old 28th December 2009
Gear Addict

Hey ADAM (& affiliated users of this forum),

How about some attention here!? Stop twiddling your thumbs and respond!

I think you'd be surprised how understanding and loyal most of your customers would be if you simply remained upfront and honest. Oh, and available for contact once in a blue moon...

Until then, I wouldn't expect anybody to let up. I know I'm not going anywhere until your obligations are fulfilled. Not to mention the fact that the longer you bide your time, the more it's going to take to appease the masses!
Old 28th December 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakiekid View Post
I want the A7's as anything that I've heard on youtube (especially James Lugo's stuff) coming through Adam monitors sounds soo good
Just remember that Lugo isn't using A7's. He's using upper-tier Adam's. From watching a few of his clips it looks like P22's.
Old 28th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Hmmm i was just making a thread and asked if these are the best choice for the money. Propably should choose Dynaudios then.
Gotta wonder tho - why are they making something that has problems like these?
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

I'm sticking with my NS10's .
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish View Post
Just remember that Lugo isn't using A7's. He's using upper-tier Adam's. From watching a few of his clips it looks like P22's.
Well of course I totally understand that, but it gives me confidence in the brand and although this thread does not!
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I'm not questioning that you have a problem, but have you made absolutely sure that your monitor stand or something else is not rattling?

Little rattles are very tough to track down. Given that the rattle is very subtle it just might be something other than the speaker.

Often when I think there is a problem like this, I find that swapping the speakers doesn't move the problem to the other side. Then I know to track down what is actually the problem.

Of course, you may have already down this.
No, he's right. I just noticed the same problem on my A7's. It's not noticable in the music, but when you solo the bass, one of the speakers is rattling, even at normal listening level. It's coming from the middle of the speaker cone.

Peter.
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post
No, he's right. I just noticed the same problem on my A7's. It's not noticable in the music, but when you solo the bass, one of the speakers is rattling, even at normal listening level. It's coming from the middle of the speaker cone.

Peter.
Oh my, I think I just solved it!!

I was going to send it back anyway, so I opened the back side to see if something was loose inside, and yes, when I turned the monitor upside down, a small piece of wood (wedge shape) fell out. There are marks of glue on it, so it must have come loose in transportation.
I tested the monitor again and the rattling is completely gone! I don't know if I really need this piece of wood inside my monitor, it seems to do nothing bad to the sound without it inside.

Peter.
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post
Oh my, I think I just solved it!!

I was going to send it back anyway, so I opened the back side to see if something was loose inside, and yes, when I turned the monitor upside down, a small piece of wood (wedge shape) fell out. There are marks of glue on it, so it must have come loose in transportation.
I tested the monitor again and the rattling is completely gone! I don't know if I really need this piece of wood inside my monitor, it seems to do nothing bad to the sound without it inside.

Peter.
OMG! You mean it's spilling it's guts... LITERALLY?
Old 31st December 2009
Gear Maniac
Love my A7s!
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheus83 View Post
OMG! You mean it's spilling it's guts... LITERALLY?
Well, let's just blame this one on transport (or bad glue? ). I'm happy it's something small I could solve myself, I really like the sound of the A7's and I don't want to send them back.

Peter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search