The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A huge disappointment with Adam quality! Studio Monitors
Old 14th December 2009
  #121
Gear Maniac
 
jujumies's Avatar
 

I initially started this thread because I had problems with my A7's and to be honest I was quite frustrated as well. After sending emails to Adam and posts here, Adam personnel contacted me and they actually sent me a new pair of A7's. Currently I am listening to my new pair of A7's and so far everything seems to be working flawlessly. I just love the sound of these monitor. I tried some other monitors while I had my problems but I really didn't find anything that was even close to the sound of A7's.

I must say that after my episode with A7's this solution that Adam arranged is more than satisfying and I've never experienced such a customer service. All I ever wanted was a working pair of A7's and now I got em' and I can continue and focus to what this is all about -making music.

Thanks to Adam...

Simo Orpana
Studio Bad Mama
Old 14th December 2009
  #122
Elk
Gear Nut
 

Wonderful!

It is unfortunate however that you had such poor response from Adam initially.

Enjoy!
Old 15th December 2009
  #123
Lives for gear
 
zacheus83's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
You and I are addressing two separate topics.

1) My post relates only to why we may see evidence of quality issues related to A7, but not other models in Adam's line up. As to this issue, I think it is a matter of numbers as already explained.

2) Your posts are comparing A7s to models made by other manufacturers.

I'm not expressing an opinion on your issue. I don't have any idea. All I have seen is anecdotal stories/postings and I am unwilling to form an opinion based on this alone.
After re-reading your previous posts, and then reading #1 above, I understand your point now.

You are right, we were discussing two different issues. I am not familiar with the higher end Adam stuff (other than demoing on the sales floor), so I cannot really comment on your original point. Sorry for the confusion
Old 15th December 2009
  #124
Lives for gear
 
zacheus83's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujumies View Post
I initially started this thread because I had problems with my A7's and to be honest I was quite frustrated as well. After sending emails to Adam and posts here, Adam personnel contacted me and they actually sent me a new pair of A7's. Currently I am listening to my new pair of A7's and so far everything seems to be working flawlessly. I just love the sound of these monitor. I tried some other monitors while I had my problems but I really didn't find anything that was even close to the sound of A7's.

I must say that after my episode with A7's this solution that Adam arranged is more than satisfying and I've never experienced such a customer service. All I ever wanted was a working pair of A7's and now I got em' and I can continue and focus to what this is all about -making music.

Thanks to Adam...

Simo Orpana
Studio Bad Mama
Congrats! That is good news for those of us (including myself) interested in Adam products in the future. I didn't want to believe that they wouldn't take care of their customers and this has proven that they in fact do.
Old 15th December 2009
  #125
Elk
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheus83 View Post
Sorry for the confusion
Very gracious of you, especially since it was both of us. heh
Old 15th December 2009
  #126
Gear Maniac
 
jujumies's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheus83 View Post
Congrats! That is good news for those of us (including myself) interested in Adam products in the future. I didn't want to believe that they wouldn't take care of their customers and this has proven that they in fact do.
Yes they indeed proved that.
Old 15th December 2009
  #127
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheus83 View Post
Congrats! That is good news for those of us (including myself) interested in Adam products in the future. I didn't want to believe that they wouldn't take care of their customers and this has proven that they in fact do.
totally agree.
Old 15th December 2009
  #128
Lives for gear
 
fakiekid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujumies View Post
Yes they indeed proved that.
but, every-time we want them to sort out our A7's, we have to kick up a fuss on Gearslutz!? tutt
Old 15th December 2009
  #129
Gear Addict
 
Rev2010's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakiekid View Post
but, every-time we want them to sort out our A7's, we have to kick up a fuss on Gearslutz!? tutt
Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. They made good on this but only after they starting getting shown in a negative light. oh well, at least it got resolved. Hopefully others won't have such a hard time if they come across problems. Maybe Adam learned something from this?


Rev.
Old 16th December 2009
  #130
Gear Addict
 
Antonio_4346's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. They made good on this but only after they starting getting shown in a negative light. oh well, at least it got resolved. Hopefully others won't have such a hard time if they come across problems. Maybe Adam learned something from this?


Rev.
I'm not so sure. At this point, I've been ignored for nearly two weeks. Sent several emails to multiple addresses, left voice mails, etc. This is ridiculous. The only response I got back was from a person at one of their European offices providing me with a US contact...and that was a week ago.

I'll sit back and wait; hopefully, they'll respond sooner than later.
Old 16th December 2009
  #131
Lives for gear
 
zacheus83's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio_4346 View Post
I'm not so sure. At this point, I've been ignored for nearly two weeks. Sent several emails to multiple addresses, left voice mails, etc. This is ridiculous. The only response I got back was from a person at one of their European offices providing me with a US contact...and that was a week ago.

I'll sit back and wait; hopefully, they'll respond sooner than later.
And it sucks when you purchase a $1,000+ item and then find out a year later that a significant percentage of users are having the EXACT same issue with the product. At that point Adam should produce an email program stating that they will set up a recall system if your monitor set falls into that defective category.

Other companies do this all the time (Microsoft for the massive failures of Xbox360). It would endear the customer to the BRAND and promote the idea that Adam cares.

It seems to me that Adam's goal with the A7 was to give the project studio a chance to hear how great Adam's line really is. THEIR ULTIMATE GOAL is to get consumers into buying their top of the line stuff. They won't be happy if everyone settled on the A7's. With this in mind, it would make sense to view the A7 customer as first in line to upgrade to S3A's and higher end Adams.

That's the main thing that lured me towards Adam in the first place. After getting used to the HS80's, I realized that Yamaha doesn't make anything "high-end" and that I would have to learn a different set of monitors. The A7's appeal because, I thought, if I liked those, I would most likely move up in the future with something within the same brand (similar sound but better imaging, headroom, dynamics).


It seems the consensus is that the A7 sound is right on, so I'll say this one more time: Trying to "track down" Adam for something that should have been a non-issue (operational malfunction) is totally and utterly unacceptable for Adam.
Old 16th December 2009
  #132
I was at a store the other day testing out some monitors and the A7's they had had some issue with buzzing and the volume difference issue too. I still might buy a pair and take them home to try them out.

It's sad that a lot of companies nowadays don't help their customers. I had a similar problem with another monitor company and I didn't get help until I made a big thread about it on another forum.
Old 16th December 2009
  #133
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio_4346 View Post
I'm not so sure. At this point, I've been ignored for nearly two weeks. Sent several emails to multiple addresses, left voice mails, etc. This is ridiculous. The only response I got back was from a person at one of their European offices providing me with a US contact...and that was a week ago.
I am currently going through the same thing. My A7s worked fine for over two years, then suddenly about two weeks ago one drops in volume and develops a very loud hiss. I emailed Adam and got a response quickly from the European office indicating they passed on my issue to the U.S. office and they'd be in touch. A week later, still no word from the U.S. office.

Anyone know how long the warraty is for the A7? I can't find any info on the Adam website, and see it listed as both two and five years on various dealers' websites.

Edited: Just found it on Adam's website (not sure how I missed it before). It is 5 years.
A7 - Technical Data | ADAM Audio GmbH
Old 16th December 2009
  #134
Gear Addict
 
Rev2010's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDiamond View Post
I had a similar problem with another monitor company and I didn't get help until I made a big thread about it on another forum.
Sadly, that seems to be becoming more commonplace these days. You gotta complain on a forum somewhere before you get any results. I had a problem with an order of cigars one time and got no help at all when I called and spoke to their customer service. Complained about it on the cigar forum I'm on and the company e-mailed me about it and generously sent me a small gift (5 cigar pack). I was very pleased but why couldn't they just fix it over the phone!? Keeps people from complaining about it online and making the company look bad.

Has anyone ever gotten the GuitarCenter (or whatever company) 3 year guarantee and returned something after 2 years? I've always been leery of those contracts as they always say you can just bring it into the store and walk out with a brand new one, but if you read the contract it always says you must send the item into one of their service centers for repair. I'm curious to know if GC is bs'ing us or if they really replace items in store with no hassle.


Rev.
Old 16th December 2009
  #135
Gear Maniac
 
jujumies's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakiekid View Post
but, every-time we want them to sort out our A7's, we have to kick up a fuss on Gearslutz!? tutt
that's true also...
Old 16th December 2009
  #136
Lives for gear
 
12ax7's Avatar
 

Maybe Adam can learn a lesson from Alesis:

Now, I don't think anybody here would deem Alesis monitors to be "high end," but the fact remains that before they came out with the Monitor One, we had to spend thousands to get monitors that didn't suck.

Suddenly for under $500, you could get something you could at least mix on, and the prices of the real high end stuff started to drop like a rock.

But when they came out with the MK2's (powered), they screwed up, and had a design flaw leading to early failure of the power supplies.

As the failure usually occurred just past the warranty period, instead of owning up to the problem, they just tried to sell you a new power supply (for $100).

The stupid part is that anybody handy with a soldering iron can solve the problem in about 15 minutes with less than a dollar's worth of parts!

...But the only reason Alesis didn't tell ya that is because if they did, everybody would know how stupid their design flaw was!

Yes, this is the infamous "dead monitor with the blinking blue LED problem," and the REAL problem is with the parts layout, whereby an electrolytic cap is placed right next to a resistor that gets hot, and the heat dries out the cap and makes it fail.

Word gets around about such failures a lot faster than it does about the solutions (especially when the company tries to cover its tracks).
Old 17th December 2009
  #137
Lives for gear
 
zacheus83's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post

Has anyone ever gotten the GuitarCenter (or whatever company) 3 year guarantee and returned something after 2 years? I've always been leery of those contracts as they always say you can just bring it into the store and walk out with a brand new one, but if you read the contract it always says you must send the item into one of their service centers for repair. I'm curious to know if GC is bs'ing us or if they really replace items in store with no hassle.


Rev.
As far as GC is concerned, if the salesman said you could bring the item back to the store, then he was BS'ing you. Their policy is to have you talk to AON (the company who handles their extended warranties) and they would send you a check for the amount of purchase. That check is only good at GC so it means you'd be buying again from them.

I remember a customer who bought a $20 warranty on a pair of $100 headphones. I guess because he inadvertently sat on them AON wouldn't give him money for a replacement. He complained loud enough at GC until an assistant manager finally gave him a new pair. Not sure if that's policy, but I was there when it happened.
Old 17th December 2009
  #138
Gear Addict
 
Rev2010's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheus83 View Post
As far as GC is concerned, if the salesman said you could bring the item back to the store, then he was BS'ing you. Their policy is to have you talk to AON
Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I thought! And for the record, EVERY salesman gives me the same, "You can bring it right in anytime within the 3 years and walk out with a new one no questions asked" spiel. I know the contracts better than that as I've had a few over the years for various, non-audio, items. At least BestBuy held true to theirs! Only problem... when I went in with my busted XBox Elite they were backordered across the whole nation - not BestBuys fault and they did refund my money but I lost the $60 for the contract. They wouldn't give me that back :-/


Rev.
Old 17th December 2009
  #139
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujumies View Post
I initially started this thread because I had problems with my A7's and to be honest I was quite frustrated as well. After sending emails to Adam and posts here, Adam personnel contacted me and they actually sent me a new pair of A7's. Currently I am listening to my new pair of A7's and so far everything seems to be working flawlessly. I just love the sound of these monitor. I tried some other monitors while I had my problems but I really didn't find anything that was even close to the sound of A7's.

I must say that after my episode with A7's this solution that Adam arranged is more than satisfying and I've never experienced such a customer service. All I ever wanted was a working pair of A7's and now I got em' and I can continue and focus to what this is all about -making music.

Thanks to Adam...

Simo Orpana
Studio Bad Mama
I think the successful resolution of your issue is partially due to the proximity of your location to Adam. We're an ocean away over here. Regardless, good for you.
Old 17th December 2009
  #140
Gear Addict
 

Thumbs up

For what its worth I just bought a pair of A7's as well as my friend despite all the negative press in this thread. I'm very happy with them and they sound great.
Old 17th December 2009
  #141
Lives for gear
 
zacheus83's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perelandra05 View Post
For what its worth I just bought a pair of A7's as well as my friend despite all the negative press in this thread. I'm very happy with them and they sound great.
In all seriousness, I am interested in either the A7's or the CMS 50's (similar price)... That is actually why I am so interested in this thread.

The problem is, now I feel like I'd be taking more of a "chance" on Adam, as opposed to basing it just on the sound.

So to you Perelandra, I hope you never have any issues! And in 3-6 months, if you get a PM from me, you'll know I'm asking you how they're holding up. Cheers.
Old 17th December 2009
  #142
Lives for gear
 
dualflip's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Unfortunately, as with every other product, most posts will be made by those that have a complaint. There always will be some with problems, especially if there is a lot of the product out there as there is with Adam.
Following your logic, there should be tons of posts from other products too, with lots of replies from unsatisfied customers, however i havent seen this many complains in a long time, for anything aside from Behringer.
Old 17th December 2009
  #143
Lives for gear
 
zacheus83's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
Following your logic, there should be tons of posts from other products too, with lots of replies from unsatisfied customers, however i havent seen this many complains in a long time, for anything aside from Behringer.
I agree. I made the same point 10 posts ago
Old 17th December 2009
  #144
Lives for gear
 
dualflip's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujumies View Post

I must say that after my episode with A7's this solution that Adam arranged is more than satisfying and I've never experienced such a customer service. All I ever wanted was a working pair of A7's and now I got em' and I can continue and focus to what this is all about -making music.

Thanks to Adam...

Simo Orpana
Studio Bad Mama
Im happy everything worked out with your monitors, however you have to agree ADAM did this because they know Gearslutz is probably the #1 place where you dont want to get a bad review if you are an audio manufacturer.

Lets see if they give long burned-in monitors with the same devotion, attention, and care to someone that doesnt go online to post a complain on GS about their products.

You mentioned it earlier, you sent several e-mails with no reply. You made a post on GS, and suddenly you get the "im sorry, but the position wasnt filled, i just checked your e-mails bla bla" you know the story.

I actually find it kind of sad that ADAM is more focused on internet forums such as this, than on the e-mails that their customers send asking them for help.

Excuse me but their quality is crap, besides being a recording engineer as a career and a profession, i also studied industrial and systems engineering(aka manufacturing engineering), and one knows the quality of a brand is not only how good the components are or how well they are tested, but also their customer service, company philosophy, values, principles, the quality of the processes, etc.. That my friends, among other things, is part of what is known as "Total Quality". And so far ADAM has proven that their quality is, as i said, a total piece of crap.

Do you think Toyota doesnt have cars that fail?, of course they do, the difference is how they adress their problems. For example if they find a problem in a car's design or whatever while they are manufacturing, they stop the production line until that problem is solved, only then the production continues.

You can expect for sure that Toyota wont tell their customers that "Statistics show otherwise"

So far Adam has proven that:

- Their philosophy is: Sell, sell, sell, but if someone notices a problem, or has a problem with their product, they deny it based on statistics, unless they get enough bad publicity.

- Customer service: They dont even have enough ppl to attend their customers, and they dont even care, they wont reply to e-mails, unless again, they get a bad review on GS.

- Quality of product: Enough has been said about that in this thread...

The Adam monitors might sound great, but buyer beware...
Old 17th December 2009
  #145
Lives for gear
 
Suda Badri's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
Im happy everything worked out with your monitors, however you have to agree ADAM did this because they know Gearslutz is probably the #1 place where you dont want to get a bad review if you are an audio manufacturer.

Lets see if they give long burned-in monitors with the same devotion, attention, and care to someone that doesnt go online to post a complain on GS about their products.

You mentioned it earlier, you sent several e-mails with no reply. You made a post on GS, and suddenly you get the "im sorry, but the position wasnt filled, i just checked your e-mails bla bla" you know the story.

I actually find it kind of sad that ADAM is more focused on internet forums such as this, than on the e-mails that their customers send asking them for help.

Excuse me but their quality is crap, besides being a recording engineer as a career and a profession, i also studied industrial and systems engineering(aka manufacturing engineering), and one knows the quality of a brand is not only how good the components are or how well they are tested, but also their customer service, company philosophy, values, principles, the quality of the processes, etc.. That my friends, among other things, is part of what is known as "Total Quality". And so far ADAM has proven that their quality is, as i said, a total piece of crap.

Do you think Toyota doesnt have cars that fail?, of course they do, the difference is how they adress their problems. For example if they find a problem in a car's design or whatever while they are manufacturing, they stop the production line until that problem is solved, only then the production continues.

You can expect for sure that Toyota wont tell their customers that "Statistics show otherwise"

So far Adam has proven that:

- Their philosophy is: Sell, sell, sell, but if someone notices a problem, or has a problem with their product, they deny it based on statistics, unless they get enough bad publicity.

- Customer service: They dont even have enough ppl to attend their customers, and they dont even care, they wont reply to e-mails, unless again, they get a bad review on GS.

- Quality of product: Enough has been said about that in this thread...

The Adam monitors might sound great, but buyer beware...
HA! and that's the problem... they do sound that great!!! I think ADAM (which I sell in NZ) is better quality than most other options... the fact that customers are sticking with them past all the bs'ing around is testament to how awesome the product actually is... and by your definition of total crap these monitors would not have sold that many in the first place... and also, Klaus took note to this thread very early and said something would be sorted out and now it has... + the customer is happy (it took ages, that always sucks). If this was any other product worth its salt I would defend it too...

But all good you are just making observations based on what you witnessed... and like you I hope they sort out all the loyal customers out who have issues...

Cheers,

Suda
Old 17th December 2009
  #146
Lives for gear
 
dualflip's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
HA! and that's the problem... they do sound that great!!! I think ADAM (which I sell in NZ) is better quality than most other options... the fact that customers are sticking with them past all the bs'ing around is testament to how awesome the product actually is... and by your definition of total crap these monitors would not have sold that many in the first place... and also, Klaus took note to this thread very early and said something would be sorted out and now it has... + the customer is happy (it took ages, that always sucks). If this was any other product worth its salt I would defend it too...

But all good you are just making observations based on what you witnessed... and like you I hope they sort out all the loyal customers out who have issues...

Cheers,

Suda
Read again, i said the quality is crap, not the sound....
Old 17th December 2009
  #147
Lives for gear
 
boody's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
Read again, i said the quality is crap, not the sound....
Although I have the resonating woofer problem, it wouldn't be fair to say their quality is crap. Considering the huge amount of A7s they sell of course there will be more people hit by a defect. And people with a defective speaker will speak up. People without a problem will remain mostly invisible.

Then again: the 2 problems seam to be the same for every defective speaker so there is a production weak spot which they no doubt are looking into now.
Old 17th December 2009
  #148
Lives for gear
 
dualflip's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boody View Post
Although I have the resonating woofer problem, it wouldn't be fair to say their quality is crap. Considering the huge amount of A7s they sell of course there will be more people hit by a defect. And people with a defective speaker will speak up. People without a problem will remain mostly invisible.

Then again: the 2 problems seam to be the same for every defective speaker so there is a production weak spot which they no doubt are looking into now.
Now that i think of it i dont know why do i bother on writing a big post if no one reads it, or they only read 2 lines..

Anyway... no problem.
Old 17th December 2009
  #149
Lives for gear
 
Suda Badri's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
Now that i think of it i dont know why do i bother on writing a big post if no one reads it, or they only read 2 lines..

Anyway... no problem.
All good bro... I partially agree with you anyway...
Old 17th December 2009
  #150
Elk
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
Following your logic, there should be tons of posts from other products too, with lots of replies from unsatisfied customers, . . .
Huh?

My point was:

"Unfortunately, as with every other product, most posts will be made by those that have a complaint.

. . .

If all Adam users happy with their monitors posted we would have an unending, but boring thread."

That is, keep the number of posted complaints in perspective.

There are, of course, threads addressing problems with other products, some even are stickys.

Let's hope that everyone with an issue with any product gets it sorted it out.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
MREVOL / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
6
TopCatz / So much gear, so little time
63
janek 68 / Music Computers
14
Mou / Low End Theory
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump