The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A huge disappointment with Adam quality! Studio Monitors
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
Interesting, you're getting the bass resonance too!? That's what the one I returned also had. I found that issue to be the most annoying.

Rev.
Ah, so I'm not the only one with one resonating bass speaker. Workable, but annoying I just have them for three months or so, problem appeared within two. Now I'm waiting until the store I bought them from has some stock so I'm not left with one speaker until it's repaired (great for mono checking though ).

Great speakers though if they work right. Have Dynaudio BM6s and Yamaha NS10s but the A7 are the most focused and best overall mixing speakers.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Happy user here. I think they are great value for money- and I suppose you get what you pay for in some respects. I wouldn't expect them to be made as well as Dynaudio for the price.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

I originally was going to buy the A7 3 months ago and compare them to my Yamaha HS80's... I heard them at 2 different GC locations and at the San Jose store they sounded like there was a stereo imaging issue. I remember telling myself that it sounded like the left side was 3 or 4 db louder than the right side, but the volume for both was all the way up.

In general they sound like ok monitors, but were not my thing. I decided to try the Digi/PMC RM2 and so far so great. If I hadn't gotten these, I would have easily purchased either the Dynaudio BM5A's or BM6A's
Old 4th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC5 View Post
Some people have mentioned Focal speakers as alternatives. Are those also manufactured in China?

Hi!

All of current range is manufactured in France (right here in Google Maps) including CMS50, CMS65, Solo6 Be, Twin6 Be, Sub6 and SM11.

Simon
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Nut

I've got a pair of A7's and haven't really had any problems until just recently. I've got the low level hiss people have talked about before on here, but it isn't loud enough to cause any problems. But one of the tweeters just started buzzing pretty loudly when it's turned on and I don't know if it means it's blown or what. This is audible when NO sound is coming out of it, just when it is powered up, the buzz starts. I switched the sides of the monitors and the buzz followed it so I guess it's not ground loop. I bought them used so I don't think I have any way of ADAM fixing them.
Old 8th December 2009
mrc
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
I've got a pair of A7's and haven't really had any problems until just recently. I've got the low level hiss people have talked about before on here, but it isn't loud enough to cause any problems. But one of the tweeters just started buzzing pretty loudly when it's turned on and I don't know if it means it's blown or what. This is audible when NO sound is coming out of it, just when it is powered up, the buzz starts. I switched the sides of the monitors and the buzz followed it so I guess it's not ground loop. I bought them used so I don't think I have any way of ADAM fixing them.
you can talk to the distributor in your country, they should be able to provide the spare parts.

i had mine for about 2 years and no problems till now. it's unfortunately that this things happen but let's keep in mind the fact that this is a thread about problems with the a7s so i guess anybody who reads it and had some issues with them is going to write about it . i'm not defending adam but there are a lot of a7's out there...
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujumies View Post
I look forward to hear from you.

Simo / Studio Bad Mama
Hi,

to solve the problem I propose that you turn to our support account and send your address, we then can send you a pair of longer burnt in A7´s that have proven their specs. We will fetch your present speakers after that to see what problems actually had occurred.

Sorry for the inconveniences, from what I read these could be long term soldering problems within the small front panels, but we have to take a closer look.

greetings
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaush1 View Post
Hi,

to solve the problem I propose that you turn to our support account and send your address, we then can send you a pair of longer burnt in A7´s that have proven their specs. We will fetch your present speakers after that to see what problems actually had occurred.

Sorry for the inconveniences, from what I read these could be long term soldering problems within the small front panels, but we have to take a closer look.

greetings
Now this sounds like something that I waited for you to propose...

Simo
Old 8th December 2009
Here for the gear

More Adam A7 damage

Interesting.

And here I was thinking I was an isolated case...

I have had two issues with my A7's.

One - I noticed when I got mine home that there were some slight marks on the housings of both. Not drastic - but you could see them if you looked. And they were damage - not smear marks or something on the paint - but impact marks into the paint.

Two - one speaker is about 6dB down from the other one. In fact I seem to have to constantly calibrate it to get the image stable. Not sure if that variability is me - but regardless - they are demonstrate significantly different gain.

Now, I do like the way they sound, and also I have a great relationship with the guy at the store I bought them from - don't want to make his life hard - he always gives me *great* deals... So i have lived with these faults...

but...

Sheesh...

Sounds like I aint the only one.

:/

D.
Old 8th December 2009
Elk
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cartel View Post
Two - one speaker is about 6dB down from the other one.
Does the serial numbers of your two speakers straddle S.N. 40651?

Adam changed the gain structure and lowered the gain about two years ago (see post a couple pages back).
Old 11th December 2009
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPro View Post
Hi!

All of current range is manufactured in France (right here in Google Maps) including CMS50, CMS65, Solo6 Be, Twin6 Be, Sub6 and SM11.

Simon
Great. Right or wrong I certainly have more confidence in equipment that is NOT made in China. Any gear that fails within a few months of purchase I consider absolute garbage.
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great. Right or wrong I certainly have more confidence in equipment that is NOT made in China..
So..... I presume you won't use any Apple computer products? Cuz they're made in China and according to you, would be really ****ty, right? heh

Jeez, enough with the China-bashing already!
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Seeing that this is an "ADAM" thread, I can't help complain too...

The complaint: S3X-H doesn't have switchable voltage.
My old S3A's had it, I think the A7's do too... My old Barefoot MM27's had it.

The new S3X-H's don't. For me, it's something I wish they would have added since most audio products nowadays have it.

My control room's SSL AWS900 and monitors (previously Barefoots) run on 220v. My arranging room runs on 110v. Depending on the project, we sometimes move monitors between the rooms. Well, with these I can't.

Unless I open it, change the jumper, change a different fuse (which is also not accessible from outside, put the speaker back together and then i'm set.

AWGH........... I like the sound but ADAM, c'mon.... (Yes, I've sent emails to Klaus and to ADAM office, etc.... )
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Nut

My A7's have many of the issues mentioned here as well.

1.) Bass resonance, as posted in an earlier thread of mine.

2.) Audible hiss with the volume only 1/2 way up.

3.) One speaker is softer/louder than the other.

Based on my experience and communication with my dealer and the Adam rep at the time, I decided to:

a. Get a subwoofer with crossover at 100hz
b. Ignore the hiss
c. Turn up one speaker
d. Vow to buy only from dealers that take care of their customers.

Nice to know others have had similar experience, and I'm not a nutcase.
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio_drummer View Post
My A7's have many of the issues mentioned here as well.

1.) Bass resonance, as posted in an earlier thread of mine.

2.) Audible hiss with the volume only 1/2 way up.

3.) One speaker is softer/louder than the other.

Based on my experience and communication with my dealer and the Adam rep at the time, I decided to:

a. Get a subwoofer with crossover at 100hz
b. Ignore the hiss
c. Turn up one speaker
d. Vow to buy only from dealers that take care of their customers.

Nice to know others have had similar experience, and I'm not a nutcase.
this is just insane, not buying Adam mons with these problems. I understand theres loads of people that might be absolutely happy with theirs but........I cannot put money into a product with this many poor reviews.
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
It certainly is misguided isn't it!? It's unfortunate but most products are made there, or in other asia countries such as Vietnam, Thailand, Korea, Malaysia, etc. But I mean, our home appliances tend to hold up pretty well. TV's, Microwaves, DVD players, Video Game systems, etc all of which I've had no radical failures with.

Heck, I used a pair of original release Behringer Truth 2031A's that were made in China for nearly 8 years with zero problems! - God I wish I upgraded sooner though

Rev.
Old 11th December 2009
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:
So..... I presume you won't use any Apple computer products? Cuz they're made in China and according to you, would be really ****ty, right? heh

I'm not a habitual China basher. And I use Apple computers heh (had to return 2 MacBook Pro's before I got one without issues out of the box, but that's besides the point..) I just cannot stand unreliable equipment, no matter the price. And it seems Chinese made products have a poor record on that account...
Old 11th December 2009
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
It certainly is misguided isn't it!?
If I have a choice between buying a product made in China and another (presumably equivalent) made in the West I will likely favor the later. But this choice is now becoming increasingly unavailable.
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
If I have a choice between buying a product made in China and another (presumably equivalent) made in the West I will likely favor the later.
As will I, most certainly. However, if the exact same product is made in two different locations and sold at two different prices, let's say a Mackie mixer made in the USA at $999 or the same Mackie mixer made in China at $699, I will take the chance with the lowest cost version. I know there's no way to tell how things will last down the road but at least most stores offer a 30 day return policy.

In the same regard, I've owned a Mackie 1604 when they were made in the USA and now own an Onyx 1220 that was made in China. It's been serving me well for a few years now with no problems.

Rev.
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

I really don't care what's made by whom and where. Just that if I like it, I buy it and use it.

The whole wave of anti-China bashing that's been going on in this forum has become real tiresome. I come here to to shop and hang out -- to take a break from making a living.

Sometimes it just gets on my nerves of all the negativism, that's all.....

I thought musicians were followers of 'love and peace' and this being a forum for musicians/engineers..... well, maybe I was mistaken.
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Maniac

I just bought a new pair of A7s 2 days ago and they are perfect out of the box. Hopefully they stay that way!
I had already seen this thread when I went shopping.
Old 11th December 2009
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really don't care what's made by whom and where. Just that if I like it, I buy it and use it.

The whole wave of anti-China bashing that's been going on in this forum has become real tiresome. I come here to to shop and hang out -- to take a break from making a living.

Sometimes it just gets on my nerves of all the negativism, that's all.....

I thought musicians were followers of 'love and peace' and this being a forum for musicians/engineers..... well, maybe I was mistaken.
Anti China bashing or China bashing?

Nothing wrong with peace and love man. Just don't sell me faulty equipment. heh

I don't care where stuff is made. If it works!
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Head

Hi to all the slutz.
I'm new to this forum or this is my first post since i'm a long time registered.
I have to say that i also have the bass ressonance distortion thing in 1 monitor and that's really annoying.
Maybe there's a quality control problem here after all.
Peace
Old 13th December 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
If I have a choice between buying a product made in China and another (presumably equivalent) made in the West I will likely favor the later. But this choice is now becoming increasingly unavailable.
i felt the same before, but not anymore after owning 2 electronic products that were made in UK. a cd player that i had exchanged 3 of them to got 1 working properly. an amp that i had it re-soldered the wiring twice in a year. to me, bad quality could caused by bad design, lack of resource in QC, poor management or etc.

it seems like most of the quality issues were related to A7, but not other models. simply because A7 is way more popular than other models or something else?
Old 13th December 2009
Elk
Gear Nut

The percentage of A7s that have problems is probably the same as for Adam's other products.

The absolute number of those with problems is higher as there are so many A7s out there.

For example, one percent of 100 is one. One percent of a 10,000 is 100.

If three percent of all who have problems post, we will seldom hear about the one problem with 100 products, but we will see three posts on the product that sold 10,000.

And yes, for those hypercritical types, these numbers are completely made up. heh
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
The percentage of A7s that have problems is probably the same as for Adam's other products.

The absolute number of those with problems is higher as there are so many A7s out there.

For example, one percent of 100 is one. One percent of a 10,000 is 100.

If three percent of all who have problems post, we will seldom hear about the one problem with 100 products, but we will see three posts on the product that sold 10,000.

And yes, for those hypercritical types, these numbers are completely made up. heh
But there ARE some items from other manufactures that have an even lower report of faultiness based on either:

A. They have been quality tested to yield a lower percentages of problems to consumers
B. The company's customer service takes care of the issue's before customers have a chance to complain on forums, yielding higher customer satisfaction.

most of the GS members on this forum are complaining about 6 month+ old problems. This is unacceptable however you look at it
Old 13th December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheus83 View Post
But there ARE some items from other manufactures that have an even lower report of faultiness based on either:

A. They have been quality tested to yield a lower percentages of problems to consumers
B. The company's customer service takes care of the issue's before customers have a chance to complain on forums, yielding higher customer satisfaction.

most of the GS members on this forum are complaining about 6 month+ old problems. This is unacceptable however you look at it
True.

By the logic of the people defending Adam here, there should also be multiple threads about problems with lower priced Genelecs, Dynaudios, Focals, etc. I haven't seen any.
Old 14th December 2009
Elk
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheus83 View Post
But there ARE some items from other manufactures that have an even lower report of faultiness . . .
This may be true, but we don't know how sales numbers compare so it is hard for us to reach a conclusion one way or the other.

Additionally I suspect that expectations are higher for Adam, particularly given the large number of positive reviews.

However, this was not the topic of my post. I was addressing why there are complaints about A7s, but not other speakers in Adam's line. (see the first line of my post and sleeper108's post - immediately above my post.

Context is everything.
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
This may be true, but we don't know how sales numbers compare so it is hard for us to reach a conclusion one way or the other.

Additionally I suspect that expectations are higher for Adam, particularly given the large number of positive reviews.

However, this was not the topic of my post. I was addressing why there are complaints about A7s, but not other speakers in Adam's line. (see the first line of my post and sleeper108's post - immediately above my post.

Context is everything.
....Which is exactly what I was addressing (the A7 and not other speakers in their line).

Case and point, a couple of years ago the HS80's were pretty popular on forums, and word of mouth (saying their the next NS10's yada yada). My interest grew and my research began. Now, there were some users complaining of issue's here and there, but like you said, that is to be expected from something that sells 10,000+ units in America. I purchased mine and happened to have no problems.

Fast forward to 3 months ago and the A7 hype has reached a high. After researching these monitors, I was under the impression that there were NO issues. When I heard them in 2 different GC's, one of the stores had the EXACT issue people have been complaining about (one speaker 6db lower, speaker knobs both at 100%).

Now, you are correct in your mathematics to say that the more an item sells, the more known problems will become apparent (because there happen to be more instances of problems). However, it is NOT correct to say that a smaller percentage of users will complain if an item doesn't sell as many units as, say, the A7. I assume that the HS50 has sold more than the A7, yet there is no outcry of repeated faulty components. It just doesn't exist.

p.s. I was a retail manager in PA/Recording sales for 4 years, and got to see a lot of the sales numbers first hand, and only saw this type of poor manufacturing with lower model generic items (Samson, Nady, etc..).

AND, per my last post, all I was saying was: if the A7 had better QC AND better customer service, we wouldn't hear about half the problems... or better yet, people would post on GS praising Adam for their quick response and great CS
Old 14th December 2009
Elk
Gear Nut

You and I are addressing two separate topics.

1) My post relates only to why we may see evidence of quality issues related to A7, but not other models in Adam's line up. As to this issue, I think it is a matter of numbers as already explained.

2) Your posts are comparing A7s to models made by other manufacturers.

I'm not expressing an opinion on your issue. I don't have any idea. All I have seen is anecdotal stories/postings and I am unwilling to form an opinion based on this alone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search