The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A huge disappointment with Adam quality! Studio Monitors
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Incorrect.

As I already stated, "the problems are real and need to be addressed."

Nonsense.

The vast majority are happy as their monitors work superbly for them as used for their intended purpose.

Let Mr. Heinz take a shot at resolving your concern. You may end up joining the ranks of happy users.
Let me tell you that there is nothing I would rather do. All I want is 100% working monitors and this case A7's -because I like the sound. I also need them to work for years -not weeks. I have already replaced one and got myself a broken one just to replace it again. And then the one that was initially ok went bad. So it just doesn't seem very promising...

Simo

SImo
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nonsense.

The vast majority are happy as their monitors work superbly for them as used for their intended purpose.
I think calling the complaint of one user "nonsense," just because the "vast majority are happy" is absurd:

That's like saying that because the "vast majority" have NOT been beaten up by the cops (for no reason), that the guy who HAS been done that way should just shut the f*ck up, and realize that tyranny and oppression is a small price to pay to live in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave!

Quote:
Let Mr. Heinz take a shot at resolving your concern. You may end up joining the ranks of happy users.
This is ALSO true!

ANY manufacturer deserves the chance to "make it good."

...Its just that IF this sort of thing happens too often, ya can't really call your product "high-end" (now CAN you?).

Great service and good warranties are NOT replacements for quality control!
Old 1st December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post

Great service and good warranties are NOT replacements for quality control!
Amen
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

this thread is rather disturbing for me. I am a potential buyer (A7's or VXT6's, can't decide), but after 2 threads with many sad replies come up on gearslutz about quality issues on the A7's, this leaves me doubting whether I should get them. The amount of praise on this forum though, keeps me on the fence about the product. Plus I just don't want them big yellow speakers in my red room .
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakiekid View Post
I just don't want them big yellow speakers in my red room .

Spray paint is cheap.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Spray paint is cheap.
crayons cheaper!
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Adam: Bad management cannot fix problems

Quote:

The fact that Mr. Heinz is posting here is a good indication that Adam wants to resolve user concerns.
No, it is not a good indication. Mr. Heinz remarks indicate that there is a problem with management. Even with good intent, a company without adequate management to even be aware of users' problems (and their mail!) and a vacancy in their support team (!!!) is not a company that will be able to solve problems, even if there intent is to do so.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
crayons cheaper!
I suppose one might also go as far as to paint them with glue, sprinkle glitter on them, stick interesting little shiny objects on 'em, and drizzle them with various colors of epoxy.

(Lava-Lamp optional).

Myself, my default color for any audio gear is BLACK!

(...But that's just ME.)

...As long as they CONSISTENTLY work well; as long as the mixes I do translate well, and they don't burn my ears out quickly, I have what I want from a pair of monitors!

(Frankly, I could GIVE a tinker's patoot about how they sound.)

I only care what the stuff I mix sounds like when it gets played back in the real world.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear
No one posts on forums if their monitor is working perfect for X years without a reason but its common to complain when someone has a problem.

With this in mind, if the internet is full of complains this must be considered from a different angle. Usually these complains would be exactly the same if there is a quality problem but this doesn't seem to be true with the A7's.

I guess the A7's have been the most popular monitors for a while now so this shouldn't scare anyone if they're thinking to buy one, there's simply too many of them and this should affect how many has a problem.

Anyway, I preferred the p11a over it and I'm a happy user for nearly 4 years now.
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Maniac

I tried a set of A7 monitors and while they lacked in the low end they really were pretty good. I ended up buying a set of P22A's. It is sad the A7's are having these problems, they are manufactured in China. While there are a lot of monitors made in China with no problems it can happen with mass production. The bad thing is that when this happens they have sold a lot and the bad batch is already out there. I have had no problems from the P22's, a buddy of mine owns the S3A's and another bought the P33A's and have had no problems. If people are going to compare A7's to high end monitors like the Focals ect. compare them to the German manufactured monitors not the A7's that are made in China. Things happen but what matters is how it will be handled.
Old 2nd December 2009
Elk
Gear Nut

Quote:
I think calling the complaint of one user "nonsense," just because the "vast majority are happy" is absurd
I fully agree.

But this is not the correct context. The "nonsense" comment I made was in response to the post:

"I'm sure there are lots of people who are totally satisfied with the monitors as long as some sound is coming out of them."

This is, of course, absolutely silliness - and hopefully a bit of hyperbole by the OP.
Old 2nd December 2009
Elk
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEGG View Post
Even with good intent, a company without adequate management to even be aware of users' problems (and their mail!) and a vacancy in their support team (!!!) is not a company that will be able to solve problems, even if there intent is to do so.
Your forgetting however that we know of the management issue because Mr. Heinz told us (that is, he knows) AND that he is going to follow-up with the user's concern.

Let's give him a chance to do so.

Again, the reported problems should not be happening and Adam should address them - but let's keep this in the context of thousands of monitors produced and used everyday without a problem.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

last new monitors i bought, blew up after 2 weeks. Oh bollox, i thought, this i really don't need...

I contact the company involved and explain my problem... 2 days alter anew pair arrives, no postage etc etc... Company head honcho mails me direct a couple of times to apologise for a rogue batch of op amps in them. Problem noted and solved.They have had the same issue with one batch and it won't happen again...

At no point did i feel that there was any hint of *user abuse*, involved, from my dealings with the company. The replacements have worked, seamlessly for nigh on 3 years since then. They also cost a fair bit less than the Adams.

The company also made it plain to the British distributors that, they expected them to deal with the problem forthwith and not to obfuscater about replacing the product immediately.

The upshot of all this being this. In the great scheme of things, the money i spent was on the monitors was, relative peanuts, however, the service i received was as if i had spent a small fortune.

The lesson being, treat your bottom feeder customers with the same courtesy and respect as your more rarefied clientèle and they will stick with you and feel good about recommending your products to others. They are also, far more likely, to develop some brand loyalty when it comes to moving up the food chain.
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Addict

I just want to know why Adam ditched Dave Bryce. He was their best spokesman in USA for quite some time. Did they go through a management change thing??? Seems like they used to be a different company and now some profit hounds have taken over or something.
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I fully agree.

But this is not the correct context. The "nonsense" comment I made was in response to the post:

"I'm sure there are lots of people who are totally satisfied with the monitors as long as some sound is coming out of them."

This is, of course, absolutely silliness - and hopefully a bit of hyperbole by the OP.
There is a hint of truth in my comment. I didn't mean to underestimate anybody like Mr. Heinz is saying. But the fact is that many of the users that by e.g. A7's or any other brand as well don't even notice if there is a slight differences in volume lets say few db's. Or any other minor problems. With that said I could say I am a "difficult customer" when it comes to monitors. I expect total perfection and precision. I don't wanna hear anything about slight differences in volumes or compensating that with volume pot -that's just silly.

I think that my purpose with this post is fulfilled because I wanted to make it public that these issues with A7's exists. There have been posts regarding these issues at gearslutz previously as well. I think that potential buyer deserve to now what is going on especially when the company has rather old fashioned policy on this matter -denial. Like I said I was approached by Adam reps via Email and the message was clear -No issue at all, just bad luck here. Their statistics show this... This was at least to me the final signal that the manufacturer is not the right for me. I expect honesty.

Simo
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
I am an S3A user and wanted to check out a pair of S3X's... I've talked to a few people that bought them only to be told by the majority that I should wait. Apparently the quality control has been really bad... specifically problems with the low end distorting and inconsistency from speaker to speaker.

Adam quality control has been going down the drain!
No problems with the sets of S3X-H's and S3A's that I had demoed the past few weeks.

I think that the whole quality issue is an A7 issue and shouldn't be confused with their more higher-end series.

Of all the friends who have demoed and bought the new S3X-H monitors, none of them have had any problems at all.

Quote:
I just want to know why Adam ditched Dave Bryce. He was their best spokesman in USA for quite some time. Did they go through a management change thing??? Seems like they used to be a different company and now some profit hounds have taken over or something.
Or it might be Dave wanting to do something else and left ADAM...? I don't see why this whole 'management' thing is making people freak out here on this forum....
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I suppose one might also go as far as to paint them with glue, sprinkle glitter on them, stick interesting little shiny objects on 'em, and drizzle them with various colors of epoxy.

(Lava-Lamp optional).

Myself, my default color for any audio gear is BLACK!

(...But that's just ME.)

...As long as they CONSISTENTLY work well; as long as the mixes I do translate well, and they don't burn my ears out quickly, I have what I want from a pair of monitors!

(Frankly, I could GIVE a tinker's patoot about how they sound.)

I only care what the stuff I mix sounds like when it gets played back in the real world.
exactly! consistence, translation and low fatigue for me is critical! What are you using?

hey, my brother has 5 kids under 10. they could have an arts and craft afternoon!
Old 2nd December 2009
TC5
Lives for gear

Like others who have posted, I have been planning on buying some A7s soon, being that I read so many good reviews here on GS. But the number of recent threads reporting problems are making me think twice. Nothing worse than unreliable hardware.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

As a balance to the bad reports , my A7s have been fine for about two years .
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Maniac

sorry to hear your having trouble!

Mine have been solid since i bought them a year and a half ago!

Ive read hundreds of praises of the A7 here on GS, and just a few people with issues!
Hope this gets resolved but i hope it doesn't discourage anyone from getting (what i think is) the best monitor in its price range!
Old 2nd December 2009
Elk
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujumies View Post
There is a hint of truth in my comment. I didn't mean to underestimate anybody like Mr. Heinz is saying. But the fact is that many of the users that by e.g. A7's or any other brand as well don't even notice if there is a slight differences in volume lets say few db's. Or any other minor problems. With that said I could say I am a "difficult customer" when it comes to monitors. I expect total perfection and precision. I don't wanna hear anything about slight differences in volumes or compensating that with volume pot -that's just silly.
I suspected that the statement "I'm sure there are lots of people who are totally satisfied with the monitors as long as some sound is coming out of them" was hyperbole at best. I assume that you also appreciate that you will never obtain "total perfection and precision" from a $500.00 monitor.

However, it is perfectly reasonable to expect that active monitors perform similarly so that they can be used as a matched set.

It is completely unacceptable for any monitor to suddenly change in volume or quality of sound. Something is clearly wrong in those cases.

I hope that Adam can and will resolve your concerns.

For those that are considering buying a pair, just make sure your retailer will take them back or will allow an exchange if you are concerned.
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujumies View Post

I think that my purpose with this post is fulfilled because I wanted to make it public that these issues with A7's exists. There have been posts regarding these issues at gearslutz previously as well. I think that potential buyer deserve to now what is going on especially when the company has rather old fashioned policy on this matter -denial. Like I said I was approached by Adam reps via Email and the message was clear -No issue at all, just bad luck here. Their statistics show this... This was at least to me the final signal that the manufacturer is not the right for me. I expect honesty.

Simo
I totally agree with your need for perfection. I am the same way. And no need to try to justify that, especially when you spend $1000 for monitors. That is not low end pricing. They should be willing to make it right and I hope this is getting their attention so that a good product stays that way.

On a different note, as I said before, mine have not given me any problems and I have had them working perfectly for two and a half years now. These blow my last two pairs of monitors out of the water. No comparison.
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsing View Post
I totally agree with your need for perfection. I am the same way. And no need to try to justify that, especially when you spend $1000 for monitors. That is not low end pricing. They should be willing to make it right and I hope this is getting their attention so that a good product stays that way.

On a different note, as I said before, mine have not given me any problems and I have had them working perfectly for two and a half years now. These blow my last two pairs of monitors out of the water. No comparison.
Yes... I must say that I really cannot see anything unreasonable in my demands and actually nobody hear have said otherwise. I also think that for price that you pay for A7's you really can demand for precision.

Simo
Old 2nd December 2009
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:
For those that are considering buying a pair, just make sure your retailer will take them back or will allow an exchange if you are concerned.
Sure, though the idea of getting on a return / repair/ exchange merry go round is not too exciting. Especially in situations where the dealer or service center may not be anywhere near where you live.

Stories where people return one speaker only to find out the replacement also has a fault hints to something beyond just bad luck...

Some people have mentioned Focal speakers as alternatives. Are those also manufactured in China?
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
this thread is rather disturbing for me. I am a potential buyer , but after 2 threads with many sad replies come up on gearslutz about quality issues on the A7's, this leaves me doubting whether I should get them.
Same here. I definitely have serious reservations about buying Adams now.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yago View Post
As a balance to the bad reports , my A7s have been fine for about two years .
Mine as well. Going on 2 years and they've performed flawlessly.

Sucks to read about all the issues people are having. Hopefully they'll try to ameliorate the situation.
Old 2nd December 2009
Elk
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC5 View Post
Sure, though the idea of getting on a return / repair/ exchange merry go round is not too exciting. Especially in situations where the dealer or service center may not be anywhere near where you live.
For Simo (the OP) it must be tough as I doubt there are lots of handy local stores carrying Adams in Finland.

It would also be frustrating if one happened to get one older speaker and then a newer speaker with the different gaining. The older version should be long out of the commerce stream at this point, but this may have happened to some.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

I have had my A7's for 2.5 years and they have been perfectly fine even with the extraordinary amount of travel abuse I put on them. I am surprised to hear that adam is not responding.
Old 3rd December 2009
Here for the gear

Oh no, one of my A7's speakers is starting to intermittently go on and off. Anybody had this problem before? Nothing has changed in my studio - just all of a sudden it has started happening!

Joe
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkopald View Post
Mine as well. Going on 2 years and they've performed flawlessly.

Sucks to read about all the issues people are having. Hopefully they'll try to ameliorate the situation.
I've had my A7's for 1 year now.
I use them with the ADAM Sub8.
Got them from Mercenary Audio (Thanx, Adam!)
Tweeter went after about a month.
Mercenary gave me a loaner while ADAM replaced my speaker in about two weeks time.
New speaker was great and both have been great ever since.
Mercenary also doubles ADAM's waranty.
I'm very happy with mine.
Translate to the real world nicely!
Good Luck,
Carmen

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search