The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The End of Music: There’s plenty of music already, so why bother making more? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

I was told (about ten years ago) by a very (VERY) successful producer/engineer that "Music Is Over".

Looks like he may have been right...
Old 22nd March 2010
Supply and demand, like anything else. We now have way too much supply and not much demand as every kid with a computer is now a "musician". Everyone has several of their own CD's. We trade them now days like we used to trade baseball cards.

The difference is that baseball cards have value.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxx View Post
A lot of them are electronic music (dupstep, IDM, futur dub, breakcore, ...) or blend urban/electronic (kuduro, coupé decalé, baila funk, baltimore, bassline ...) but even in the acoustic/live music there are new styles (Balkan beat, Gypsy ska, Mestizo, ...) that come up.
You confirmed what I already knew: "new" music is either copping an older style and stripping out - due primarily to lack of understanding and chops - what made it interesting (e.g. dubstep), or hybridizing two unrelated and often incompatible older styles (e.g. Gypsy ska, whatever the f**k that might be), just like Afro-Celt Sound System did 15 years ago. Blech!

"New" by rosy Irish butt.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

I was watching 1950's Ed Sullivan show with Elvis and Cash. What a show! A really big Shhhow...

In all reality the art was live and raw, The rat pack was there.
Nothing less then a Broadway show shot live. Every artiest had to be very talented.

Now days, I look at the top 100 and its the same headliners, all autotuned crap. All of the charts are horrible, nothing Id buy.

It very much looks like a teen magazine for children at the check out counter of a super market.

I cant imagine any music Id buy today, in fact Id like to bury it 6 feet under ground.

I think the average consumer is smarter then the average producer, backer and A and R guy. They have really lost touch.

I do think in the past the big arena rock shows were pretty cool, like Rush for example. Id buy a rush CD or that chicken foot band they rock and Im glad it went as far as it did with all the promotion but the bad aftertaste of Britney spears and Lakeisha, ludacris.. feet stuck in the mouth of both consumer and producer may linger for the death blow, I watch the industries twisting Cadaveric spasm with joy.

Die you horrid industry, die.

You earned it.

I will continue to buy local music and support live music.
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

From an email I wrote to a friend in my hometown back in October, a guy who has produced some very fine records:

"...machines taking the place of musicians, the music becoming more and more artificial, 'perfect', and robotic in sound and emotional affect...Loudness Wars, the use of music to generate a global culture of misogyny, homophobia, and violence by making heroes out of pimps, pushers, and murderers...
Even Afrrican-Americans have abandoned the elements that made their music one of America's greatest exports for a century - syncopation, brilliant arrangement ability, sense of groove, absolutely monstrous creativity - in favor of the of the hegemony of the Fascistic uber-European drum machine and dull-ass synth-bass-driven pitch-corrected pap that now dominates the scene and unavoidably the globe, since the sound of America is the sound of prosperity. Regional styles of music driven to extinction by the viral dissemination of $HIT...
It is just too damned easy - having a 'producer' with some awful-sounding drum machine (or just samples of one - this is not joke) and a 2-note unsyncopated bassline, layer on some sampled keyboard loops, then get some felonious a$$hole to stand in front of a mic and bleat his stupid $hit about what a stud he is and how much money he's got (or soon will get when hordes of 15-year old white boys buy his disk or more likely download it from Apple), use digital pitch-correction or just run the whole thing through a vocoder..."

And so forth. Now you know how I really feel.

Cultural imperialism and theft by people who understand less about what dub is than my 7-year old - that's what dubstep is. Coupe decale -
Africans giving up their Africanity for the sound of prosperity. The crap-fest is now global indeed, guess that's progress.
Old 22nd March 2010
Here for the gear

As long as I don't ever feel pressured to "sell" it...I'll continue to make it.
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
As long as I don't ever feel pressured to "sell" it...I'll continue to make it.
+1
Old 22nd March 2010
Here for the gear

"There she was
Just-a walkin' down the street
Singin'
Do Wah Diddy Diddy Dum Diddy Doo."

I knew after playing that song, there would be very little to come after it.
It was over.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

To the folks who say there is no good music being made these days:

You're going to have to dig a little deeper than the top 100 on the pop charts before you can say that 100% of what is out there is crap.

I hear a lot of new music I like on a few Sirius Radio channels: The Loft, The Coffeehouse, Little Steven's Underground Garage, B.B. King's Bluesville (not much new on here, but there's a little), and a few other channels. Most of this stuff won't chart in the top 100.

Now, if none of this lesser known stuff is to your taste, fair enough. But you can't judge all the artists out there these days by the narrow types of music that the majors and the more successful minors are pushing. You have to mine just a bit deeper to find the good stuff.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search